test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Logging in w PW account does not remember correct user name

rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
edited September 2012 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Ever since I merged my PW and Cryptic account, the feature to 'remember user name' has been broken. If I leave the box checked, my old Cryptic user name will appear as I log back in. If I leave it unchecked, the fields will be blank as intended.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xanto90xanto90 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yep I have noticed the same thing, makes it a pain to log in.
  • stantonl33stantonl33 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've noticed this too. It makes it a pain to switch between characters. Why isn't there a way to switch characters without having to log out and log back in?
  • speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    1) Load registry editor.

2) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\Cryptic Launcher

3) Double Click on UserName

4) enter the correct UserName

5) close registry editor

6) run the Launcher
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    1) Load registry editor.

2) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\Cryptic Launcher

3) Double Click on UserName

4) enter the correct UserName

5) close registry editor

6) run the Launcher

The Launcher already stores my name correctly. It's the in-game log-in prompt (when you choose Log Out instead of Exit), where you have to re-log to get back to the character selection screen.
  • heronfarmheronfarm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Confirmed, I have been annoyed with the same issue (ever since having to link to a perfect world account). My old Cryptic account still appears on the screen when you log out of a particular character, even though I log in with the perfect world account and the "remember" box is checked.

Quite frustrating.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    darkjeff wrote: »
    The Launcher already stores my name correctly. It's the in-game log-in prompt (when you choose Log Out instead of Exit), where you have to re-log to get back to the character selection screen.

This not to mention that they should take ownership of their bugf and fix them and not rely on their players to edit their registry. Many of us are capable of doing it but it could have disastrous consequences.
    edited September 2012
    Ok undeterred

in the localdata directory you will find a file:

GamePrefs.Pref

1) Take a copy

2) Open the original file file using Notepad

3) Find your name that is being displayed incorrectly / or search for Login.Username

4) change the name to the correct entry

5) save the file
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
    edited September 2012
    Ok undeterred

Not trying to deter you, just trying to get Cryptic to take ownership of their bugs. I will try this when I get home and I appreciate your efforts on the matter, but I can't help but wonder if it will ever be officially patched.
  • zebularzebular Member Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This has nothing to do with the game Launcher. This is happening in the game client and actually goes much deeper than editing a file, as the Client Login (not Launcher) is saved/looked up on the server, not on one's PC.

I've continued to have this happen on all PCs I have installed STO and CO on even after the merge, where I have never entered my original username before. Despite installing on a newly partitioned and formatted computer, both STO and CO Game Clients (not the Patcher) want to continually revert back to my original Cryptic username. This does not happen in any PWE game, just Cryptic's STO and CO.

This has been reported since the first time we were allowed to merge our accounts. Here is a recent thread with some very recent updates on the issue.

Hopefully a Mod can and will merge these two threads.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=326121
    Full Name: Zeryn Zebulon Zebular 
    Short Name: Zebular ( @zebular )
    Starfleet Rank / Serial: Vice Admiral, Field Captain / SZ-872-112
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

Handles: @zebular (PC)@MtnDewFreak (XBOX)@Terraseer (PS4)
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    in the localdata directory you will find a file:

GamePrefs.Pref

1) Take a copy

2) Open the original file file using Notepad

3) Find your name that is being displayed incorrectly / or search for Login.Username

The difference between my Cryptic and PWE login is literally an extra two characters at the end, and it shows the correct one in Login.Username.
    edited September 2012
    darkjeff wrote: »
    The difference between my Cryptic and PWE login is literally an extra two characters at the end, and it shows the correct one in Login.Username.

Check my reply prior to your reply here. The user you quoted didn't realise that we are talking about the Game Client Login, not the Launcher/Patcher. Besides, the Launcher/Patcher updates and saves the correct login (because it is dynamically saved on one's computer, unlike the game client itself). This is not where the issue is, so that quoted "fix" isn't relevant.
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

edited September 2012
    Just out of interest what happens if you run the gameclient as admin?

right click GameClient.exe -> properties -> compatibility -> run this program as Administrator...

I'm guess you are running either Vista or Windows 7 and you have the game in C:\Program Files...

If that works, and clicking on the allow button is a 'nausea.. then install the game directory anywhere other than C:\Program Files or Program Files (32) ... I create a C:\Games directory to store all my games in

and you will get the same result or should
    edited September 2012
    Just out of interest what happens if you run the gameclient as admin?

right click GameClient.exe -> properties -> compatibility -> run this program as Administrator...

I'm guess you are running either Vista or Windows 7 and you have the game in C:\Program Files...

If that works, and clicking on the allow button is a 'nausea.. then install the game directory anywhere other than C:\Program Files or Program Files (32) ... I create a C:\Games directory to store all my games in

and you will get the same result or should

I always run the program as an admin and I am running Win8 Consumer Preview. I think what you are not understanding is what Zebular is saying - this data is not stored client side! Thanks for trying though, you at least earn some merit there. The solution is for Cryptic to track down and patch their bug.
    edited September 2012
    Please also read through the older and more detailed thread on this issue that I linked to in my first reply in this thread. Hopefully a Moderator or Developer will merge these two threads.

• drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yes, I must say this is very annoying.

As an Alt-Fiend (I'm not going to use the word, but we all know what I mean. The kids don't, but we do. Giggity.), I have found the currently broken state of the client-side name-remembering to be of great inspiration.

Specifically, great inspiration to stick to my main.

Very annoying, but thankfully not a game breaker. Unless you count all the games I'm not playing with my alts. Which I don't. But there you have it.
  • amidoinitrightamidoinitright Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have the same problem. I'm pretty tired of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Time played in game. as of 9/12/12 (on my mains) Total 2907 hours.K'zoontite has been on active duty for 34 days, 3 hours, Bot Fly has been on active duty for 55 days, 4 hours, Poppa Capp has been on active duty for 4 days, 12 hours, B'zooka has been on active duty for 12 days, 22 hours,Tater(fed) has been on active duty for 14 days, 10 hours,