Install Arc

"Relics" by Kirkfat

kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Title: Relics
@handle: Kirkfat
Faction: Fed
Level: Any
Style: Diplomacy, with some Action

Description: The Klingon Empire is occupying a planet for unknown reasons. You are sent to investigate. What you discover will alter your perception of the cosmos, its past, and its present.

Any feedback would be really appreciated. Please let me know if there are typos.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by kirksplat on

Comments

• palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i will check it out today
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think I've said this like, five times, but it's worth repeating.

Holy Awesome Custom Maps Batman.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Played this as an Andorian captain. Let's just say, one scene in particular was getting very interesting by that fact.

Had to struggle with a bug, where I could not beam down to the planet. No idea if that was an underlying problem of the game or something Kirkfat can fix.
    It worked fine after relogging, though I had to break immersion by getting through the previous maps again which broke the illusion on the holodeck map.

If I have to find one fault, is that the mission at times turned into a very expositiony novel because of the game's limitations.

I think other missions were better balanced by Kirkfat and maybe he got a little to ambitious with this one, but still the best one can expect with the tools available and more, well done.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Played this as an Andorian captain. Let's just say, one scene in particular was getting very interesting by that fact.

Had to struggle with a bug, where I could not beam down to the planet. No idea if that was an underlying problem of the game or something Kirkfat can fix.
    It worked fine after relogging, though I had to break immersion by getting through the previous maps again which broke the illusion on the holodeck map.

If I have to find one fault, is that the mission at times turned into a very expositiony novel because of the game's limitations.

I think other missions were better balanced by Kirkfat and maybe he got a little to ambitious with this one, but still the best one can expect with the tools available and more, well done.

Thank you. The only thing that must have happened is either a. You got too close to the planet during combat, thus triggering the reach marker before it was the objective, or your elevation had changed so much that you couldn't find the reach marker. I'll try to decrease it's radius. Sorry about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hm, I don't think that was it. I got the beam down prompt and away team selection window. But clicking continue there nothing happend. So it probably was some kind of general gambug.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    did you get the prompt during red alert?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ufpdewolfeufpdewolfe Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Impressive!

How did you get the away team out of the way like that?
    edited September 2012
    ufpdewolfe wrote: »
    Impressive!

How did you get the away team out of the way like that?

total bug that I had to deal with. It was a complete pain, and I had to rewrite my mission because the boffs were not spawning. There is a thread about it in the bugs forum called "inconsistent BO spawns."

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    BTW what was that blue glowy effect that appears when you transport out of the alien ship? It made my frame rate drop like a rock....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2012
    BTW what was that blue glowy effect that appears when you transport out of the alien ship? It made my frame rate drop like a rock....

It's one of the new time portals fx. It really clogs everyone. Some folks are saying that I crashed their systems with it. /facepalm.

I wanted to use the starbursts instead, but there is a sound bug associated with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    ah. So it was there just to be a visual representative of the pattern enhancer or whatever? Hmm... why did you need a swirly graphic? If it's a static forcefield you could have used that pyramid shaped Borg field.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2012
    ah. So it was there just to be a visual representative of the pattern enhancer or whatever? Hmm... why did you need a swirly graphic? If it's a static forcefield you could have used that pyramid shaped Borg field.

Hmm... thanks for the tip. I've not experimented with that one. I just wanted some kind of visual effect of transporting from one place to another. That borg one might be much easier on vid cards if it passes for the effect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    Oh, it doesn't look like a transporter beam out effect. It's a yellowish static force field in a pyramid-ish configuration. It would work for a pattern enhancer, but maybe not what you want. Hmm..... One of the technology peices is the glowy inside of a warp core. if you put that on top of the player for a short time that might occomplish the effect..... hmm.... wait... is there one without the metal frame? By "starbursts" did you mean "Swirling Particles Blue 01"? Or "Starburst effect 01"?

The particles make a droning sound that's kinda annoying, but it's similar to the droning made by the transporters in the show. Starburst makes this weird roaring sound.... I think this effect was meant to be used with the Bajoran Orbs. The particles have a downside, they're small. But you can arrange them in a group to make a large field.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Okay, I just played it. Also, the TRIBBLE RP with my andorian female char was appreciated! :rolleyes:

I feel like an amateur now. :D

I was so confused that I forgot to give a tip, sorry about that.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited September 2012
    Oh, it doesn't look like a transporter beam out effect. It's a yellowish static force field in a pyramid-ish configuration. It would work for a pattern enhancer, but maybe not what you want. Hmm..... One of the technology peices is the glowy inside of a warp core. if you put that on top of the player for a short time that might occomplish the effect..... hmm.... wait... is there one without the metal frame? By "starbursts" did you mean "Swirling Particles Blue 01"? Or "Starburst effect 01"?

The particles make a droning sound that's kinda annoying, but it's similar to the droning made by the transporters in the show. Starburst makes this weird roaring sound.... I think this effect was meant to be used with the Bajoran Orbs. The particles have a downside, they're small. But you can arrange them in a group to make a large field.

Yeah, I might have to experiment more with the particles. I needed something big to at least partially hide the sky. If you look around, you can see benches in the sky, lol. If I remove them, then my Shree npc in the holodeck falls through the floor after she spawns. It's strange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The Borg portal is great for representing a plasma storm outside a window (being green and swirly) but is bad up close because it is so LOUD.
    edited September 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Yeah, I might have to experiment more with the particles. I needed something big to at least partially hide the sky. If you look around, you can see benches in the sky, lol. If I remove them, then my Shree npc in the holodeck falls through the floor after she spawns. It's strange.
    Well... the particles aren't big, but they do look kinda like a transporter effect if you arrange several of them on the map. *rummages*

OOH! "Captivity device 01" If you embed it in the floor it makes a round forcefield sticking out of the ground. "Counter - Science 02" is similar it has a large cylindrical force field. Another option is "Fx - Generator Cardassian 01" and 02 It's just a cylinder shaped purple energy field. 01 sparks a lot and can be seen through 2 is smooth and opaque.

Did you just want something to obscure the background?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Incredible mission.
    Hands above all the others I played for the Foundry Challenge.
    Once again, a beyond excellent kirkfat mission.
    I am not surprised.
    Bravo.
    Incredible Custom Maps. Great story, awesome NPCs.

Why has Cryptic not hired you?
  • tjsinclairtjsinclair Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just played this one the other day... INSANELY good. My God, I was totally unprepared for certain...awkward conversations, and it had me thinking of Dr. Helen Noel from "Dagger of the Mind."

Loved every second of it. :)
  • dvirbldvirbl Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hi

i tried running the mission today and found a bug that won't let me do it.
    in the alien ship after you revive the man you need to set a 2nd set of pattern enhancers, i went to the marked area but no matter where i went there no interaction came up and so i could not continue with the mission, which was a shame because it looked really interesting.
    i hope you can fix it as i would love to see it thru.
    edited June 2013
    dvirbl wrote: »
    hi

i tried running the mission today and found a bug that won't let me do it.
    in the alien ship after you revive the man you need to set a 2nd set of pattern enhancers, i went to the marked area but no matter where i went there no interaction came up and so i could not continue with the mission, which was a shame because it looked really interesting.
    i hope you can fix it as i would love to see it thru.

Thanks for letting us know. It is yet another spotlight broken from the update.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • francysol2cfrancysol2c Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    how i reprogram the computer?
    edited June 2013
    Hi all,

"Relics" is working again after today's patch. Thanks devs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's quite possibly the best foundry mission I've played yet. Aside from the time travel thing which hurt my brain, it was very enjoyable. On a side note, apparently my captain is bi :P.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited August 2013
    Wrote a TV Tropes page for it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited August 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Wrote a TV Tropes page for it.

Superb! Thank you! Please do more of these for other spotlights and missions. They are great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi Kirkfat,

I just added Relics in my list of missions to review. Since you're from StarbaseUGC I will certainly expect top-notch quality :P .

It might take some time before I get to your mission, hope it'll be pretty soon.
  • gokaired2gokaired2 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Anyone got an emotcon translator?
    edited February 2014
    gokaired2 wrote: »
    Anyone got an emotcon translator?

Wat? /10chars
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png