test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO and Windows 8 (release preview)

Comments

• zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't mind Windows 8 myself. But then, I have a touch screen. A 22 inch 16:9 1920x1080p multi touch screen. It's kind of low end as multi-touch screens go, however. It only supports two touches. It does so through a set of cameras in the corners of the monitor. The cameras look for things blocking their view and triangulate their position, transmitting them as touches to Windows. Of course, like I said, this limits it to two touches. However, Windows8 doesn't really use more than two touches for all the important gestures. BTW, right clicking is easy on Windows7 with a touch screen, just touch where you want to right click and then tap the screen with a second finger and BAM! Right Click. It was so intuitive for me that without reading that it was possible to do that, I simply did it because it made sense and it worked.

Windows 7 also supports touch screen too, and in-fact it was one of the points they used to try to market it in Japan. However, it's not as specialized.

This is a wallpaper for the Japanese version of Windows7. http://www.blankmind.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/windows-7-official-madobe-nanami-wallpaper-11.jpg In it, Windows 7's official mascot (i.e. the official OS-tan for Windows 7), Madobe Nanami (窓辺ななみ)using the pinch gesture for touch screens.

The thing is, I can see why people don't like it. It's a huge change. When I was 8 years old and noticed that the older people get, the more resistant changes in tech or culture. I made a vow to never let myself be resistant to changes in tech or culture. I'm 32 now and still hold myself to that vow.

I encourage others to embrace change. 2 years ago I anticipated a shift to touch screens, so I bought my monitor for only $225, so large, multi-touch monitors are actually not much more pricey than non-touch LCDs. Infact, this monitor was medium priced, I found non-touch monitors of the same size for $100 more. Get with the program, people. It's the age of touch. Embrace it, it's not that bad, and infact it's actually quite fun. For your next computer or monitor purchase, at least look into touch screens.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't mind Windows 8 myself. But then, I have a touch screen. A 22 inch 16:9 1920x1080p multi touch screen. It's kind of low end as multi-touch screens go, however. It only supports two touches. It does so through a set of cameras in the corners of the monitor. The cameras look for things blocking their view and triangulate their position, transmitting them as touches to Windows. Of course, like I said, this limits it to two touches. However, Windows8 doesn't really use more than two touches for all the important gestures.

Windows 7 also supports touch screen too, and in-fact it was one of the points they used to try to market it in Japan. However, it's not as specialized.

This is a wallpaper for the Japanese version of Windows7. http://www.blankmind.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/windows-7-official-madobe-nanami-wallpaper-11.jpg In it, Windows 7's official mascot (i.e. the official OS-tan for Windows 7), Madobe Nanami (窓辺ななみ)using the pinch gesture for touch screens.

The thing is, I can see why people don't like it. It's a huge change. When I was 8 years old and noticed that the older people get, the more resistant changes in tech or culture. I made a vow to never let myself be resistant to changes in tech or culture. I'm 32 now and still hold myself to that vow.

I encourage others to embrace change. 2 years ago I anticipated a shift to touch screens, so I bought my monitor for only $225, so large, multi-touch monitors are actually not much more pricey than non-touch LCDs. Infact, this monitor was medium priced, I found non-touch monitors of the same size for $100 more. Get with the program, people. It's the age of touch. Embrace it, it's not that bad, and infact it's actually quite fun. For your next computer or monitor purchase, at least look into touch screens.

Lol, as expected, the Japanese use an anime girl for such a thing.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Windows 8 - Perfect for Tablets, Perfect for Phones

Windows 8 - NOT ideal for Desktops
    This just isn't true. I'm using it on my desktop and it's generally faster for me to do the same things I used to do on Windows 7. Faster OS, cool features, great functionality (the new Task Manager alone is a life-saver).

Also, since Win8 is new, expect video card drivers to be immature for a time. It takes time to build mature drivers for a new OS, new issues come up, bugs and problems that have to be figured out and fixed. So, if you are an early adopter of Win8 on the desktop, expect driver issues, I'd give it several months to half a year, or until the first service pack.
    Again, this isn't true. Windows 8 drivers ARE mature. I've not heard of any problems on this front. The drivers for my AMD 7850 worked (and updated to the lastest) perfectly on the installation.

Windows 8 might have only been released on Friday, but a lot of us have been using it for over half a year now. The system is stable (more than Win 7, which was rock solid), fast and responsive. I really think you need to try it.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
    edited October 2012
    walshicus wrote: »
    This just isn't true. I'm using it on my desktop and it's generally faster for me to do the same things I used to do on Windows 7. Faster OS, cool features, great functionality (the new Task Manager alone is a life-saver).

Again, this isn't true. Windows 8 drivers ARE mature. I've not heard of any problems on this front. The drivers for my AMD 7850 worked (and updated to the lastest) perfectly on the installation.

Windows 8 might have only been released on Friday, but a lot of us have been using it for over half a year now. The system is stable (more than Win 7, which was rock solid), fast and responsive. I really think you need to try it.

I've never had a full copy of Windows 8, just the developer and consumer previews. I was able to use Windows 7 drivers on it. The OS complained that they weren't certified for 8, but they worked just fine. This is because Windows 8 is Windows NT 6.2 where as Windows 7 is NT 6.1, as I described in a previous post.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • dbxxxdbxxx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So, if odd numbered Windows are good, only Windows 1, 3 and Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 were ever any good.

Nothing wrong with that statement. Server2003 with Direct X added is still the best Windows ever made. Vista is ****e, 7 is ****e, 8 is ****e.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DISCLAIMER: If any of my opinions or what I say hurt/offend you. TOUGH. Either deal with it or go cry like the whiny keyboard warrior you probably are.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Did just read yesterday that Windows 8 will be comming with DirectX 11.1 support.

Shall i take bets if Windows 7 will get a DirectX update to 11.1 ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    dbxxx wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that statement. Server2003 with Direct X added is still the best Windows ever made. Vista is ****e, 7 is ****e, 8 is ****e.

Pardon me if I disagree. Vista certainly needs to burn for the rest of eternity. 7 and 8 however I find to be quite nice. Windows 3.x, while nice for its time, I have to say it was a pos. Networking on it was a pita.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Pardon me if I disagree. Vista certainly needs to burn for the rest of eternity. 7 and 8 however I find to be quite nice. Windows 3.x, while nice for its time, I have to say it was a pos. Networking on it was a pita.

Once device manufacturers got used to the new driver system (about three months after Vista's launch), Vista ended up being a pretty decent OS. Not as good as 7, but certainly not the disaster everyone pretends it was.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I wont be using Windows 8, tried it on a friends computer and I didn't like it, I don't like smart phones so why would I want to turn my PC in to one? If your going to use the "Windows 7 look" on Win 8 then you might as well stick to win 7 and wait for win 9, 10 or 11 to go back to a normal OS design.

I have to ask what is the obsession with touch screens these days? They bring nothing to the table and who wants a screen full of finger prints and smears?
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Once device manufacturers got used to the new driver system (about three months after Vista's launch), Vista ended up being a pretty decent OS. Not as good as 7, but certainly not the disaster everyone pretends it was.

No wonder you like Windows 8.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Indeed, I'm still using Vista and plan on using it until my computer explodes from age. Going to upgrade the processor this weekend so I can get a bit more juice out of it. Should last me a couple more years after that until I need to up my graphics again.

i recommend you to upgrade to win7. vista is the reason while you probably need a new processor. win7 is much faster.
    What ? Calaway.
  • cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ah windows 8 --- is the code name for an updated windows 3.1
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited October 2012
    Never had a problem with Vista, love Win7 and will never touch Win8...
  • goltzhargoltzhar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No W8 for me.... I'm gonna W8.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't mind Windows 8 myself. But then, I have a touch screen. A 22 inch 16:9 1920x1080p multi touch screen. It's kind of low end as multi-touch screens go, however. It only supports two touches. It does so through a set of cameras in the corners of the monitor. The cameras look for things blocking their view and triangulate their position, transmitting them as touches to Windows. Of course, like I said, this limits it to two touches. However, Windows8 doesn't really use more than two touches for all the important gestures. BTW, right clicking is easy on Windows7 with a touch screen, just touch where you want to right click and then tap the screen with a second finger and BAM! Right Click. It was so intuitive for me that without reading that it was possible to do that, I simply did it because it made sense and it worked.

I use my 55" TV as my monitor...

I like being comfortable on the couch when I use my computer...

I'm gonna have to grow really loooong arms to be able to use any touch feature...

:D
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Oh? Lets see... Windows 1 and 2 were hardly notable. Windows 3.x was pretty good. Windows 4.x (most people know of Windows 4 as Windows 9x) was even better, but it died there.

Windows NT 4 came out around the same time as Windows 4, but it was not the same operating system, completely different kernel and the API was merely compatible.

Then Windows NT 5 came out in 2000. NT 5 series includes Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003. Where Windows 2000 is NT 5.0, XP was actually NT 5.1

Windows NT 6 came out a number of years ago. It was known as Windows Vista. Vista was not well received.

Windows 7 is actually not truly a 7. It's Windows NT 6.1. Frankly, Microsoft's referring to NT 6.1 as 7 is terribly misleading to the general public. Windows 7 is not alone is sharing the version of NT 6.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 also has the designation of NT 6.1. Windows 7's full original release version number was NT 6.1.7600. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is listed as NT 6.1.7601

Windows 8 is NT 6.2, so it's technically still a 6, not an 8. Windows 8's final public release is 6.2.9200. Just like Windows 7 shares it's NT version number with a Windows Server version, Windows NT 6.2 also includes Windows Server 2012.

So, if odd numbered Windows are good, only Windows 1, 3 and Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 were ever any good.

This is inaccurate on so many levels, I'm not even sure where to begin.
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    Win 8, huh? You mean, no more of Win 7's sudden unwanted upgrade shutdowns when you're in the middle of something...?

How will I cope...?

Turn off automatic updates, problem solved. Not sure why anyone leaves this on.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ravin wrote: »
    Turn off automatic updates, problem solved. Not sure why anyone leaves this on.

There's good security reasons to have automatic updates turned on.

However, there is a setting to download updates and let you choose when to install them. Even if you've got it fully automated, you've got a 10 minute window to delay it by up to 4 hours every time it wants to install things.

It won't be the end of those, anyway. It might be for Vista in a year or two, but 7 still has several years of support life left.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tebsu wrote: »
    i recommend you to upgrade to win7. vista is the reason while you probably need a new processor. win7 is much faster.

And in turn Windows 8 is much faster than Win 7. Transfer speeds between my hard drives as well as loading times in general are much faster. Also, I don't know why people don't like it because it is 'a mobile OS'. Not really...it was made to run on all platforms. I love it on my desktop because it is not the resource hog that previous versions were. The more I use the Metro interface the more I like it as well. It's an area where people seem upset (why u make me learn something new) but I like grouping programs together, not having to look at everything and still retaining my pin to taskbar functionality.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am staying with 7 as it isn't that old yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited October 2012
    age03 wrote: »
    I am staying with 7 as it isn't that old yet.

Not too old but Win8 it is consistent with Microsoft's policy of releasing a new version every 3 years...
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I used the Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview of Win8. Here are my thoughts on it.
    • It's a fast, stable operating system.
    • There are some nice under-the-hood improvements.
    • Advanced users, who know Windows keyboard commands already, adapt to it fairly easily.
    • "Normal" computer users find it impossible to use and really hate it.
    • - My girlfriend couldn't get past the lock screen.
    • As a retail employee who sells computers, I expect I'll be seeing a lot of returns.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Not too old but Win8 it is consistent with Microsoft's policy of releasing a new version every 3 years...

Windows XP is still going till 2014 so ??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited October 2012
    age03 wrote: »
    Windows XP is still going till 2014 so ??

Yes, extended support for XP ends in 2014. If you are on XP still I would suggest migrating from it at this point. If you are on Vista (especially if you are on Vista) you would probably be better served migrating to a new OS as well. If you are running Win7 you are probably in good shape for now unless you are a gamer and MS only updates DirectX for Win8 (which from what I hear will happen).
  • back1ytback1yt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gpgtx wrote: »
    only because companies put MS OS on there computers. and the majority of people either 1) don't know how to uninstall an OS and put a different one on or 2) just don't care enough to bother

Yeah. I hate having to dual boot in order to run this game.
    edited February 2013
    I have to ask what is the obsession with touch screens these days? They bring nothing to the table and who wants a screen full of finger prints and smears?

Because touch screens are the next logical progression since object oriented GUIs became popular back in the... Oh 80s or so. Interacting with objects directly is a better experience, just like drawing on a tablet is better than drawing on a computer with a mouse. Touching he world through a prosthetic is how we're used to doing it, and before long it will seem pretty archaic but it's not quite baked yet. And micro$oft is the king of half baked ideas.

I agree that windows 8 is stupid. It makes sense for a tablet that you hold in your hand, but for an OS that's primarily designed for keyboard and mouse work? It's stupid. You can turn all that **** off and make it "normal" though.
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Necro-thread but it's pretty funny (to me anyway) someone bemoaning touch-screens on - y'know - a Star Trek site? :cool:
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
    edited February 2013
    Necro-thread but it's pretty funny (to me anyway) someone bemoaning touch-screens on - y'know - a Star Trek site? :cool:
    The irony wasn't lost on me lol Good one.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dmfreddie wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong subforum but its a bit of several topics.

While STO ran brilliantly on Windows 7 for me, running it on Windows 8 is more interesting...sure on the Microsoft website it says yay it works with us and it does to some extent, since I moved to windows 8 there have been 'holes' see through parts in my Defiant and some of the bases I've been to. Another thing is that when STO loads (the logo loading screen for sto on the black background), the game always seems to freeze up my computer both monitors now and mess around with the OS a bit resembling the not aero compatible in Win7. Has anyone else been getting this or is it just me?

But I'm glad it works to some extent with Windows 8!

May I ask,.. what ship class is that ship in the middle?
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    May I ask,.. what ship class is that ship in the middle?

In the OP's sig? That's an Odyssey class ship.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Windows 8 is basically a faster, more power efficient, leaner version of Windows 7, but with a more functional screen attached to the Start Button.

You clearly define functional in a different way to me.

Its generally a big improvement, its very noticeably faster, however, some of its issues are disasterous, though, there's good 3rd party software to correct for MS' shortcomings.