What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO and Windows 8 (release preview)

Comments

• lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    You don't understand it correctly then.

Windows 8 has a desktop, very similar in design to Windows 7 but with minor aesthetic alterations.

Windows 8 is basically a faster, more power efficient, leaner version of Windows 7, but with a more functional screen attached to the Start Button.

EDIT: The forum doesn't like the "ae" ligature...

Which isn't compatible with a shocking number of games and utility programs, the things 99.9% of PC users use PCs for.

FAIL.
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Which isn't compatible with a shocking number of games and utility programs, the things 99.9% of PC users use PCs for.

FAIL.

Let me just say that I started out in computers in the late 80s by simply learning how to manipulate DOS to get games to run under it. I took that little bit of hobbyist knowledge and turned it into a professional career.

With the state of hardware today combined with the programs readily available out there on the web, you are about 99.9% incorrect.

There are ways to run even older DOS-only games under ANY version of Windows that you would care to use. You might try "teh Google" sometime and become enlightened into the reality of using personal computers here in the modern age. ;)
    edited March 2013
    The sheer number of people who complain about games and programs that are unusable in win 8 is staggering. It has nothing to do with me, I don't use it.
    Perhaps by using complicated methods they may get them to work, but I don't see why an OS that bills itself as user friendly should take that much effort, I'm not talking about DOS programs, I'm talking about recent ones that run just fine on win 7.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited March 2013

FAIL.

Name the things that do not work in 8 according to you. If it's 99.9% of what people use, you should be able to rattle off 10 to 15 without even trying hard.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    edited March 2013
    The sheer number of people who complain about games and programs that are unusable in win 8 is staggering. It has nothing to do with me, I don't use it.
    Perhaps by using complicated methods they may get them to work, but I don't see why an OS that bills itself as user friendly should take that much effort, I'm not talking about DOS programs, I'm talking about recent ones that run just fine on win 7.

I've found ALL the complainers of 8 are just people who aren't bright enough to know what they are doing. It's not hardware or software issue, the issue lies with what is between the keyboard and the back of the chair.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    edited March 2013
    STO for one. Mass Effect 3, the new Simcity, Skyrim and so on.

Now keep in mind when I say don't work I mean they'll boot up but have various horrible problems.
    Now, could these all be the fault of the user? It's possible. I find it hard to believe but it's possible.
    Regardless, I'm sticking to win 7.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's funny how every time Microsoft releases a new Windows version people hate it at first.

Lot more games stopped working after I upgraded from XP to Win7 than from Win7 to Win8. Personally I haven't encountered any that didn't have the same problem with Windows 7.
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've found ALL the complainers of 8 are just people who aren't bright enough to know what they are doing. It's not hardware or software issue, the issue lies with what is between the keyboard and the back of the chair.

In older ancient terms - PEBKAC! Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. :cool:
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    In older ancient terms - PEBKAC! Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. :cool:

or the old "It's an ID 10 T situation." ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Now keep in mind when I say don't work I mean they'll boot up but have various horrible problems.
    Now, could these all be the fault of the user? It's possible. I find it hard to believe but it's possible.

I don't know, I'm using Windows 8 on my old laptop (no touch screen) and it boots faster, loads faster, and just runs better than it did before, and it runs STO just fine.
    edited March 2013

I run STO and ME3 better in 8 then they did in 7 without even doing any tweaks. SimCity is fouled up for EVERYONE. I have a friend who LOVES Skyrim and runs it on 8 no problem.

NEXT?

Edit: And don't even say Tomb Raider. I just completed it yesterday and I have not even tried running it on anything but 8.

edited March 2013
    btw, I need to add to what I said earlier.

My only issue with 8 was when I first installed it, the graphics and sound card drivers flat out sucked. But once I upgraded to the drivers the manufacturers had on their site when 8 was released since I got it release day, everything was better.

So all the complainers of 8, are also people who were not bright enough to know: UPDATE YOUR DAMNED DRIVERS!

That should always be done when going to a new OS or installing new hardware. People not smart enough to know that should not even own a computer IMO.

• atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You need to understand that OS like UBUNTU and its descendants (linux based) outperform windows by an order of magnitude in stability, functionality and system resource use.
    Linux is good in its own ways, but performing 10x better is a flat out lie. Also, The only time Windows has ever not been stable for me is when I was doing something I knew had a decent chance of crashing my PC (And yes, you can stress Linux in a similar fashion).
    The only reason why Ubuntu system isnt widespread is because it cannot use directx (license issues..and guess who owns the license) and thus cannot run the bulk of games out there unless you use a very crappy emulator that doesnt work in most games.
    Ubuntu is not widespread because of several Reasons.

1) Most people buy brand new computers. The cost of an OS is negligible in that case.
    2) To truly work Linux, you need to learn the command line. Most people either don't want to devote the time to doing that, or are too dumb to.
    3) Few people overall have even heard of Linux.
    But for work and almost anything else.. Ubuntu+ blows any windows system out of the water.
    I'd much rather use Microsoft Office over Open Office. MSO is just plain better, and OO doesn't support MSO's macros very well (and given that I get work from other people in MSO using macros...).
    I'm looking forward to Win 8 only because its alleged to be a $30 cost OS. I've not purchased a windows OS since win95 and don't plan to ever again unless the price is under 50 dollars.. their ****ty OS is not worth more.
    Wow, if you loathe Windows so much, I wonder how big you rant against Macs would be.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    playing on win 8 the legal version = everything running just fine.

perhaps it is a driver issue, or a driver/hardware/system compatibility issue.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have been using windows 8 for awhile now, and it seems to work perfectly fine hardware and software wise, haven't found a program yet that won't run on 8 that did on 7 (and my programs and games were all ported over when I upgraded from 7 to 8)

Plus they added a ton of new features, things like much better dual monitor support, better memory management, way shorter boot time , a much better task manager. The list goes on.

I personally am not a fan of the new start screen, mostly because I have to use XP at work and its hard to go from a start menu to no start menu. That said it took me all of 5 mins (and $5) for a program that adds it back. Since I paid $30 for the OS anyway not nearly $100 like Win 7 the extra $5 is nothing.
  • spork87spork87 Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    caliban149 wrote: »
    Windows 8 looks like the biggest pile of excrement Microsoft have released since Windows ME, whose primary purpose appears to be to turn my PC into some kind of giant mobile phone with "social media" integrated into everything

Total non-issue for me, I'll be sticking with 7.

You have also the totally wrong idea about what windows 8 is and isn't. Compared to windows 7 programs load and shut down faster, the operating system is more stable than windows 7. For a new pc user windows 8 is also more straight forward and easier to learn than a traditional windows environment. Windows 8 also once again supports hardware accelerated sound.

As far as social media integration guess what your one of the few that doesn't care, most people check facebook on there computer, that's what the majority of users are doing these days.

I am an IT tech and I use Windows 8 on my own personal computer, I bought Start8 for a start menu, but classic shell is a free alternative, though honestly I find myself using it very little these days. Anything you use can be pinned on the desktop or on the start screen for easy access. The new sidebar allows easy access to the most commonly used system settings and anyone that has an business tweaking with advanced settings can also get to any of there programs with Windows Key+R which is how we have always done it anyway.

Overall Windows 8 is step forward in performance and stability from windows 7, with improved security and yes integration, which is a big thing, but unless you work in this field you have no idea why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anarricanarric Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just pointing, The last posted dated before pwecangetlost's post, is 2-15-2013.
    That makes this thread well over 30 days old and this now a zombie/necro post. (reviving a thread past 30 days is against the forums rules)
    Also, this thread was started when Win8 just hit beta
    (around august 2012) arguing anything about it at this point is more or less mute.

::loads shotgun and points it at zombie thread::
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm still using WIN 7 & my 55" TV as my monitor...

Nope haven't grown longer arms. :P

<holds Golden Zombie Shovel, at the ready>

;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • plumeyer1plumeyer1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know, most of this wouldn't be an issue if STO would work on a Mac. ;) :P

~Plumeyer
  • rsimm69rsimm69 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    windows 8 works fine for STO. you just have to run it as an administrator. I had lots of problems with it too after I bought a win8 laptop, but as soon as I edited my quick launch icon properties to run it as an admin everything worked out fine. I am currently running it under win 8.1

I just wish there was more story driven content in the game instead of all this reputation driven TRIBBLE, but that is another story for another thread.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rsimm69 wrote: »
    windows 8 works fine for STO. you just have to run it as an administrator. I had lots of problems with it too after I bought a win8 laptop, but as soon as I edited my quick launch icon properties to run it as an admin everything worked out fine. I am currently running it under win 8.1

I just wish there was more story driven content in the game instead of all this reputation driven TRIBBLE, but that is another story for another thread.

Why did you post in a thread that had been dead and buried for a year?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
    edited May 2014
    Holy necro.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Kill it with fire!!!!! :eek:
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I run sto on two windows 8.1 rigs with no issues

But this is the old launcher not the arc rubbish so don't know if there are any issues running it on 8.1 with arc.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wow, this thread has risen from the grave 5 times now. Are we going for a record?
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Try Engineering Team, if you can see the stars through your ship, you likely have hull breaches.

But seriously, I hate Windows 8, I downgraded back to Windows 7 for a while until I decided to wipe my computer and re-install.

I have actually found that I hate 8.1 less than Windows 8. There have been some improvements for PC functionality, so if you tried Windows 8 and didn't like it. Try 8.1 instead.

As for the game, I have not seen any graphical issues that were not already there in Windows 7, so as previous posts have suggested, try updating your drivers, changing the settings in game, or upgrading your video card.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Lol, i have a friend that bought a laptop with windows 8 a few months back, and the first thing he said was "what the hell, this is like a massive mobile phone". And he has NO IDEA about computers or anything else. Because that is the first impression windows 8 throws to the face of the customers lol.

At least, they didnt remove completely the classic look of windows, and i think you can remove the "mobile" aspect as well. But i never used windows 8 (and i hope i never will) so im not pretty sure.
    edited May 2014
    Lol, i have a friend that bought a laptop with windows 8 a few months back, and the first thing he said was "what the hell, this is like a massive mobile phone". And he has NO IDEA about computers or anything else. Because that is the first impression windows 8 throws to the face of the customers lol.

At least, they didnt remove completely the classic look of windows, and i think you can remove the "mobile" aspect as well. But i never used windows 8 (and i hope i never will) so im not pretty sure.

The normal start menu and start button are coming back in the next Windows 8 update which is likely to be in the fall according to Microsoft themselves so its only a matter of time. I expect that Win 9 will also come with the traditional GUI as standard to considering the massive backlash 8 has had.

Its a shame they did it though really because in a lot of areas Win 8 is a improvement over 7, things like system refresh and better multiple display intergration being amung them.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Vile thread, long since forgotten
    Arise, arise by doltish power
    And stalk the forum once more...

FWIW I run Win 8.1 Pro, love it, and STO runs great on it.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    STO: Wrath of the Lich-Thread. Where's Q when you need a zombie killed?