test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retrait, Respecies, Resex, Recareer Tokens

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    mjaymor78 wrote: »
    If it keeps people in game......YES. I am so tired of leveling new toons just to try out a new trait or a new species and every new system they add to STO makes wanting to level a new toon even more unappealing.

So if a retrait, respecies, resex, recareer tokens keeps me interested in this MMO then yes give us the tokens, because not everyone wants 50 toons.
    Leveling is easy, getting gear is the hard part. Doffing can get you 1-3 levels a day.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Leveling is easy, getting gear is the hard part. Doffing can get you 1-3 levels a day.

The flipside is, with character unlocks (via DOff system, via Lobi, via lockbox... and soon via reputation), "roll an alt!" loses its weight.

If I can't move a ship to another character, I might as well be able to remake the character who has it.

And 95% of species is cosmetic anyway for custom aliens.

And it might persuade them to add more species unlocks to the game if we had ways to species respeccing.

Personally, I favor a combination of the old "XO to Captain" system we used to talk about and species respecs.

So you take a Bridge Officer you've claimed. And you take a special token. And BAM, your Captain's name, species, and costumes get overwritten by the BO. Accolades/ships/reputation/DOff status remain intact.

This plays with the idea Cryptic wanted where special BOffs can become special captains and answers the question of where they start. To do it, you have to sacrifice your Captain and a BO and use a token, representing your Captain retiring and XO taking command.

I'd toss in a free rename with the service in case you want to change names.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The flipside is, with character unlocks (via DOff system, via Lobi, via lockbox... and soon via reputation), "roll an alt!" loses its weight.

If I can't move a ship to another character, I might as well be able to remake the character who has it.

And 95% of species is cosmetic anyway for custom aliens.

And it might persuade them to add more species unlocks to the game if we had ways to species respeccing.

Personally, I favor a combination of the old "XO to Captain" system we used to talk about and species respecs.

So you take a Bridge Officer you've claimed. And you take a special token. And BAM, your Captain's name, species, and costumes get overwritten by the BO. Accolades/ships/reputation/DOff status remain intact.

This plays with the idea Cryptic wanted where special BOffs can become special captains and answers the question of where they start. To do it, you have to sacrifice your Captain and a BO and use a token, representing your Captain retiring and XO taking command.

I'd toss in a free rename with the service in case you want to change names.

That just seems too complicated. If someone wants to do that, then they can do it by themselves. But I really just want retrait tokens.
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You mean exactly 6000 years.

Around several billion or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You want a re-trait bub, open a lock box. Everyone knows it's inevitable. It's just a matter of time. :D
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    mjaymor78 wrote: »
    If it keeps people in game......YES. I am so tired of leveling new toons just to try out a new trait or a new species and every new system they add to STO makes wanting to level a new toon even more unappealing.

So if a retrait, respecies, resex, recareer tokens keeps me interested in this MMO then yes give us the tokens, because not everyone wants 50 toons.

I was thinking or rerolling but the thought of losing all my commendations and weapons I made from dilthium as well as all the ships I have.I bought extra BO slots,Bank and Inventory.

I have enough to buy a fleet ship as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I really need a retrait token for 3 of my characters and would buy them immediatley. Respecies and recareer would be and I might try those too.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • contrarydecisioncontrarydecision Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Some of you guys seem hilariously eager to have this casual, free-to-play MMO be some kind of hardcore "old-school" nonsense. Lets have ~consequences~ in our games now.

Half the point of this game is in the flexibility it allows.

And as time changes and systems change, so do the traits. The skill revamp COMPLETELY changed the purpose, and effect, of several traits. Why the hell shouldn't you get a respec when they fundamentally change the system on you?
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Taking a step back here: So you want to remove the last trace of "Decisions and consequence"?

No, we want to have the ability to fix what the Devs changed after we made our characters.
    edited October 2012
    That just seems too complicated. If someone wants to do that, then they can do it by themselves. But I really just want retrait tokens.

How is it complicated? Looking at DOff exchange prices, I'd say we need a "BOff sink" anyway. Plus, that GIVES it consequences.

It's simple.

You have a token.

You go to your BOff's service record (a feature that needs streamlined in the UI anyway) and hit "Promote to Captain."

You get a warning stating that this will delete your current Captain and replace them with this bridge officer.

Hit accept. Your Captain is gone. Your bridge officer is now Captain. You get a window where you can adjust costume, name, and traits, like you get when you commission a BOff..

This would probably prompt Cryptic to streamline the service record interface and make sure all species are represented as BOffs.
    edited October 2012
    How is it complicated? Looking at DOff exchange prices, I'd say we need a "BOff sink" anyway. Plus, that GIVES it consequences.

It's simple.

You have a token.

You go to your BOff's service record (a feature that needs streamlined in the UI anyway) and hit "Promote to Captain."

You get a warning stating that this will delete your current Captain and replace them with this bridge officer.

Hit accept. Your Captain is gone. Your bridge officer is now Captain. You get a window where you can adjust costume, name, and traits, like you get when you commission a BOff..

This would probably prompt Cryptic to streamline the service record interface and make sure all species are represented as BOffs.

Not only would that not work as a Boff sink, a lot of boffs are species that cannot be used as captains, also, how would you get around some players trying to use the Diplomatic Boff as a captain? Would you let them? Or how about the Borg Boff? Or the Unalterable Boffs?
    edited October 2012
    Not only would that not work as a Boff sink, a lot of boffs are species that cannot be used as captains, also, how would you get around some players trying to use the Diplomatic Boff as a captain? Would you let them? Or how about the Borg Boff? Or the Unalterable Boffs?

The whole point of "promotion to captain" is that it WOULD allow exotic species. That was the part Dan Stahl was MOST enthralled with about it when he started discussing it. Naturally, certain species like Borg or Androids might have the "Promote to Captain" option disabled. (Because Borg are a lifer thing and CBS doesn't want android captains.)

But your Borg Diplo BO? Your Aenar or Reman or Breen? That's part of the thrill. You're giving up something that took work to have a flashier Captain.

It's asking sacrifice for reward.

Some of those are easy to get another copy of. Some would require patience, waiting for episode replay.

And some would be impossible to replace.

Isn't THAT exciting?
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2012

It's simple.

You have a token.

I would prefer just to do it at the tailor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited October 2012
    I agree that retrait tokens would be most important of all, I would buy 3 now. Respecies would also be nice so that would be my second priority. Resex and recareer, well they should maybe do that if its not too hard.

I'd even go along with any of these if I had to start at level 1 again, just let me keep my bound stuff and acolades which is why i dont want to delete those characters and remake them.
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If they added recareer tokens I would buy one as soon as I could, even if it cost 1500-2500 zen. I've been longing to change the class of my primary Federation character for a while now, but I don't want to lose all the accolades, bound items, and other things that would be lost if I recreated her.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2012

A Boff sink? That's monumentally unnecessary.
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Can we have a "Re-Game" token to make this game something else? lol
    edited October 2012
    A Boff sink? That's monumentally unnecessary.

Quite............
    edited October 2012
    Quite............

How would you have rare, exclusive earn able species represented then?
    edited October 2012
    How would you have rare, exclusive earn able species represented then?

Via the C-Store. God knows it needs some TLC. :(
  • unknownmgxunknownmgx Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    all i want for christmas is a paid race/gender change option!
  • vmikusvmikus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    unknownmgx wrote: »
    all i want for christmas is a paid race/gender change option!

Same here, my ex-bf created my character as male... jerk.
    too much zen spent for items so I don't want to re-roll.
    ~Chek'U, ga'U
    Asha Nor
    Fashonista
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    "I want a new system where: once you have chosen you character, you can't change him/her forever. No respec token and so on. Also, when the character dies, it is dead for good. Roll a new one. Same goes for ships, they need to be repurcahsed if you haven't missed your escape pod. (mechanics needs to be intorduced) This ultra hardcore mode can be unlocked through paying a z point fee. If you die and roll a new character, you have to pay again. Upside: once you have payed the starting fee, you don't have to pay anything else again. But if you die, you lose everything you have aquired up to that point."

Nobody stops you, if you die, just delete your character and you don't need to respect.
    (just delete your character at random will also work)
    edited October 2012
    bones1970 wrote: »
    "I want a new system where: once you have chosen you character, you can't change him/her forever. No respec token and so on. Also, when the character dies, it is dead for good. Roll a new one. Same goes for ships, they need to be repurcahsed if you haven't missed your escape pod. (mechanics needs to be intorduced) This ultra hardcore mode can be unlocked through paying a z point fee. If you die and roll a new character, you have to pay again. Upside: once you have payed the starting fee, you don't have to pay anything else again. But if you die, you lose everything you have aquired up to that point."

Nobody stops you, if you die, just delete your character and you don't need to respect.

Go play EVE.
  • supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    bones1970 wrote: »

Play Wizardry Online.
    edited October 2012
    I just deleted a level 50 character and spent yesterday and today leveling up a new one of the race I wanted with better traits. I would have payed real money for a token to do this instead, thats money you just missed out on Cryptic. I still have 2 other characters that I have too much time invested in to delete because those characters have both MACO and Omega MK XII ground and space sets that I will still buy the tokens for though.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    marc8219 wrote: »
    I just deleted a level 50 character and spent yesterday and today leveling up a new one of the race I wanted with better traits. I would have payed real money for a token to do this instead, thats money you just missed out on Cryptic. I still have 2 other characters that I have too much time invested in to delete because those characters have both MACO and Omega MK XII ground and space sets that I will still buy the tokens for though.
    Outch, i wouldn't want to delete my main character for instance. All the things he has experienced since february 2010, all the accolades, everything gone...

No i wouldn't have the heart to do that. I would rather for cryptic to release a general respec token. Even if i had to wait another 2 years. :o

I hope my english is understandable, since most of the time i am unable to find the right words in my native language already.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • rachel1018rachel1018 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Never seen a SINGLE game with a recareer token or method, ever! For good reason too. You want another career path get used to the idea of rerolling, because of the list that's the only one I bet you'll never see.
    edited October 2012
    rachel1018 wrote: »
    Never seen a SINGLE game with a recareer token or method, ever! For good reason too. You want another career path get used to the idea of rerolling, because of the list that's the only one I bet you'll never see.

STO professions aren't really full classes as much as they are trees, IMHO.

A recareer would be more like respecting between a Holy and Shadow spec priest, IMHO.
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Retrait Token
    • Should 1st Priority. Traits and their effects keep changing.

Respecies Token
    • Should be 2nd on list. I'd use it to avoid new toon creation (lazy).
    • Sex choice should be included with Re-Species Token.

Recareer Token
    • Should be last on list or never implemented. This is Super Lazy, Super Easy.
    • Might be too powerful. Instantly transform Lvl 50 Engineer to Lvl 50 Science. WOW