test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are these okay?

lecutestofborglecutestofborg Member Posts: 9 Arc User
First of all, hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm really enjoying the game :)

But I have a little dilemma I need some feedback on. I just recently became able to do the daily mission called "Investigate Officer Reports". Someone suggested that I search the missions by "hot" and then just do the ones that show up at the top of the search, which only involve clicking one a wall or something.

I dont want to get in any trouble for exploiting, so I was wondering are these kinds of missions okay to do? What do the devs think of them? Thanks for your help! :)
Post edited by lecutestofborg on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hello and welcome! :)

The Devs have no issues with anyone doing any of the Foundry Missions. If you're looking for some good stories I'd suggest you start by doing the Spotlight Mission choices that Cryptic posts on its website here: http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/foundry/foundry-spotlight

Those are generally considered good choices by Cryptic.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    First of all, hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm really enjoying the game :)

But I have a little dilemma I need some feedback on. I just recently became able to do the daily mission called "Investigate Officer Reports". Someone suggested that I search the missions by "hot" and then just do the ones that show up at the top of the search, which only involve clicking one a wall or something.

I dont want to get in any trouble for exploiting, so I was wondering are these kinds of missions okay to do? What do the devs think of them? Thanks for your help! :)

There was a time Cryptic said 'no' but that was when Foundry was first launched - nowadays they seem far more relaxed.
  • sl1ckm1stersl1ckm1ster Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The Devs have no issues with anyone doing any of the Foundry Missions.

False. We have been told to report exploit missions:
    We want the Foundry to be used for users to create missions. Set a scenario, create the world anew for yourself. The tool was not created to allow players to level up easier, to have a quicker way to gather Accolades, or similar. If your mission sets this as a goal in any form, we may take action. Please do not create missions that are geared towards boosting of any kind.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3500006&postcount=68

While it is true that they do not enforce their own policy, they have never made any statement retracting it.
  • janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You can do any foundry missions you want. Dailies by Nagus(author) are fun and quickly, so you can check them out. There are also very good missions which you could play for you pleasure, instead of grinding.)

In-game handle @Janetza
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    (Reminder; I don't speak for Cryptic, like the signature says)

Cryptic won't do anything to YOU for doing a mission that's exploitative; they'll do something to the author of that mission.

You can report the mission when you drop it, or you can silently go through and do it and then move on to the next one.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They are considered exploits and the people who make them have in the past had them removed.

i find it highly unlikely you would get in trouble for playing one as you have not done anything wrong yourself but to be 100% safe and fair its best to avoid them. if you want a short mission for the daily there are several quick ones. the nagus dailies are often quick without being exploits.

although these hardly do the foundry justice. there are some amazing stories out there and while some can be long they are worth playing.
    edited August 2012
    False. We have been told to report exploit missions:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3500006&postcount=68

While it is true that they do not enforce their own policy, they have never made any statement retracting it.
    And, over a year later from that post, as Tobar posted, Cryptic doesn't seem to have much of an issue with it. There are even Dev posts on Twitter about some of the exploit Missions the Devs run just for the heck of it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    There was a time Cryptic said 'no' but that was when Foundry was first launched - nowadays they seem far more relaxed.

That's disappointing. Because these are exploit missions, abusing the Foundry system.

Maybe their Laissez-faire approach is that they are working on system that prevents exploit missions. I seem to recall something mentioned recently of rewards being time measured, the longer you are in a mission, the greater the reward. So with these exploit missions being completed instantly, the reward would be 0.
    edited August 2012
    And, over a year later from that post, as Tobar posted, Cryptic doesn't seem to have much of an issue with it. There are even Dev posts on Twitter about some of the exploit Missions the Devs run just for the heck of it.

As I said:

edited August 2012
    That's disappointing. Because these are exploit missions, abusing the Foundry system.

Maybe their Laissez-faire approach is that they are working on system that prevents exploit missions. I seem to recall something mentioned recently of rewards being time measured, the longer you are in a mission, the greater the reward. So with these exploit missions being completed instantly, the reward would be 0.
    What the Devs were talking about there dealt with Foundry Missions they were thinking about porting directly into the Holodeck. The current plan seems to be a tag-along Mission like the Officer's Report, that will give standard rewards while doing a Foundry Mission.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As I said:

I don't even know that it's true that they don't enforce it. Since the stakes on the Foundry Daily have gone from "some stuff you could have gotten off the Exchange for pocket change" to "a fair chunk of Dilithium", it could be that fewer people are reporting missions.

A lot of Cryptic's community interaction has gotten reactive instead of proactive due to staffing; this is self-evident in the fact they changed their minds on community forum moderators.

If the state of affairs is "they stopped enforcing the policy on missions whose only exploit is time", we'll probably never hear it, because they'd not want to open the floodgates or cause themselves a problem with enforcement in the cases they DO enforce. I don't spend much time in the Foundry Discussion forum; how's the traffic lately from angry people who lost their Foundry access due to exploits? They used to be infrequent, but present.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It would be great if Cryptic could find out some way to make Foundry missions 'semi-official', so this exploit issue wouldn't be a problem. I know, I know, there's a number of hurdles they'd have to surmount in order to make them 'official' content. . .just sayin', it would be great :)
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • game5pockgame5pock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You guys think getting 1440 Dilithium every 20hrs is an exploit?
    edited August 2012
    game5pock wrote: »
    I would imagine they think getting 1,440 Dilithium in 5-10 minutes of activity is the exploit.
  • velktravelktra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

When you grab three of those "click this and you're done" missions, click once, and get 1440 dilithium for doing no work whatsoever... yes. Technically, it is an exploit. If you want to do them, that's on you. I'd rather run the UFP dailies if I need a short one. At least they have a plot.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    edited August 2012

If you get it in a shorter amount of play time than the devs intended, yes. The fact that you get that same amount of dilithium for doing 3 star cluster missions suggests the amount of playtime they had in mind for that amount of reward.
    I would imagine they think getting 1,440 Dilithium in 5-10 minutes of activity is the exploit.

5-10 mins? The clicker missions complete in literally 1 second once you click the console. If it takes you 5-10 mins you are not talking about the same missions as we are.
    edited August 2012

No, more like doing a daily in less than 3 seconds for 1440 Dilithum, with a mission that was intended to be at least 30 minutes. ;)
    edited August 2012
    No, more like doing a daily in less than 3 seconds for 1440 Dilithum, with a mission that was intended to be at least 30 minutes. ;)

Heaven forbid something is done quickly every 20hrs in "Labor Camp Online":rolleyes:
    edited August 2012
    5-10 mins? The clicker missions complete in literally 1 second once you click the console. If it takes you 5-10 mins you are not talking about the same missions as we are.
    I was including the idea that you need to select the Officer's Report Mission, select the Foundry Mission, Zone in, Zone out, select the Mission again, etc. That can take 5 minutes by the time you do all 3.

Of course I prefer the Distress Call mission: Go in, kill 2 ships, go out. I'd rather fight something for 1-2 minutes then just click a glowie. :)
    edited August 2012
    I was including the idea that you need to select the Officer's Report Mission, select the Foundry Mission, Zone in, Zone out, select the Mission again, etc. That can take 5 minutes by the time you do all 3.

What do you mean "zone in, zone out"? Also, people typically select all 3 at once and when you click the wall it completes all 3 at the same time.
    edited August 2012
    Heaven forbid something is done quickly every 20hrs in "Labor Camp Online":rolleyes:

You can do it quickly without using the one-click exploits. There are a number of Foundry missions that take only a few minutes to complete; some of them have plots, some are free-for-all combat, and some are just simple objectives. You don't need to do it in one click.
    edited August 2012
    I must point out that this thread presents forum viewers with detailed instructions for engaging in exploitative activity and should be closed and deleted immediately!:D
    edited August 2012

Oh that's fine and all, til everyone starts doing it and Cryptic nerfs it. I mean look at the DOFF contraband mission. And that was with legitimate work. :rolleyes:
  • supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe people shouldn't be rating them so much, and so highly. :) It'd be become more underground, than a neon blue sign that says "Transport in Dominion style, get a free Dilithium box!"
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    if u dont like clicker missions dont do them. simple.

if u comnsoder this an exploit then stfs must be a expolit too u get more diltium from one run of that. if ur lucky or do a few of them ur likely to cap ur diltiuhm in a 3 or 4 space runs.

i have 6 toons i play and cap them all with a few space runs so what who cares its just a game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would like a response from a Cryptic Dev on the 1-Clicks being Exploits or Not. People are wasting Customer Service's time if these are being reported as exploits when Cryptic does not consider them to be one.

Even if there were efforts to remove these from the foundry they would be replaced by the next easiest thing. Probably 'Easy - Talk to NPC'. People will say those are exploits as well and complain. When those are removed the next easiest way to complete a mission will go rampant.

Personally I think it's all a waste of Customer Service's time. I'd rather them be focused on escalating Bug Reports than this. The whole reason why you can only do Officer Reports Daily is Cryptic knew players will use the foundry to create the shortest path possible to the reward.
    edited August 2012
    if u comnsoder this an exploit then stfs must be a expolit too u get more diltium from one run of that.

This is probably one of the most ridiculous quotes I have read on the forums.
    edited August 2012
    if u comnsoder this an exploit then stfs must be a expolit too u get more diltium from one run of that.
    STFs require work. One-click Foundry missions do not. That's not even close to a fair comparison.
  • matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited August 2012
    anyone remember the super quick leveling missions? tons of enemy ships and all you had to do was explode to kill them all? -grumbles about the reduction of number of targets that can be hit by things-
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    anyone remember the super quick leveling missions? tons of enemy ships and all you had to do was explode to kill them all? -grumbles about the reduction of number of targets that can be hit by things-

Now that was a REAL exploit. Sit there and blow up! Mega XP power leveling on crack, LOOT coming out every TRIBBLE, and Energy Credits ticking up like the national debt.

Not that I tried it more than a couple times :P