Add Orions as Fed Playable Race.

venarravenarra Member Posts: 112 Arc User

Comments

• Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Z-Store Unlock? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Z-Store Unlocks are annoying. And the race made for the unlock won't be the one you play on the Klingon side. The stats/passive bonuses for Orions don't add up to a 300-550 Zen unlock.
  • Options
    reallydumbpwereallydumbpwe Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    venarra wrote: »
    We get them as DOff's. We should be able to play them as characters. Not all Orions are Syndicate.

Oh no you don't!
    You Feddies couldn't handle Orions.
    You want those Orion lovelies, join KDF

:P
  • Options
    hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If someone want to play Orion play KDF or use the Alien Archetype.
  • Options
    woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Orions as Fed playable species:

Pro:
    * Its canon (see Gaila on Memory Alpha) and in licensed material (see Dennisar on M. Beta)
    * another playable species (+ one that is from classic Trek)

Contra:
    * loss of uniqueness for KDF
    * You can make an Orion-lookalike from the Alien playable species.

Personal opinion:
    Playable species - the more, the merrier. I'm pro.
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If you want orion boffs/character choices, play kdf. Simple as.
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    tdon7tdon7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We get them as DOff's. We should be able to play them as characters. Not all Orions are Syndicate.

You can already have Orions on the Fed side. It's called "Alien" you just don't get the outfit to go with it and rightly so.
    A half faction is no faction at all.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Orions on a Fed ship. Hmmm. How'd that work out for Archer and Co? Not too good as I recall.

Enough already. The Spoon-Fed side has already copy/pasted everything else cool or special on the KDF side. Could you just leave us this one little thing? The thought a Starfleet Vice Admiral has a harem for a Bridge crew, just like I do, takes all the fun out of having one in the first place.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If a FED player really want to play with a orion, pay for this. Is the same rule for Klingon in a FED faction. But no metal bikini for you! ;)

But I want the same for Ferengi in the KDF faction. Ferengi can make a good race to play in KDF for rp reasons.
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I kind of agree that KDF has limited racial choices. Sticking with canon and written material one should be able to play:

Vulcan: in several books Vulcans are prized in the empire for their strength and intelligence inspite of their pacifism. Vulcan may have lived in empire prior to or moved there during the accords.

Romulan: If the Klingons are going to ally with a non-warlike criminal syndicate (the Orions), then Romulan expatriates/exiles from Sela's reign are a potential option.

Cardassians: True Way mercenaries against the Federatio and their pacification of the Cardassian State.

Andorians: The Klingons have always respected the Andorians, their culture and heritage. During the Khitomer Accords it is likely some Andorians relocated to the empire to test their mettle against the feared Klingon warriors in various pursuits. They may have stayed afterwards.

Hirogen: Upon accepting Sela's treaty, some Hirogen might become annoyed by the scheming and manipulative Romulans, finding stories of the honor-bound warrior society of the Klingon empire more appealing. I find Hirogen culture (like the Gorns and Nausicans) to be more acceptable to the Klingons then the scheming Orions (who aided the Dominion during the war).

Others include Ferengi, Pakleds, Still-pissed Maquis Bajorans and all the ignored subject races of the Empire (see various books, FASA and Decipher's ST:RPG and ADB's Prime Directive: Klingons for more details on these) and former Neutral Zone denizens.

And finally: Humanoform Klingon. That's right, Enterprise/TOS Klingons. Change the racial trait to something cool (the Human's Leadership ability maybe?) and have the player be born a genetic throwback to the gene-altering plague that once haunted the empire...

All good candidates for addition to the KDF, IMHO.
  • Options
    rachelj88rachelj88 Member Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh no you don't!
    You Feddies couldn't handle Orions.
    You want those Orion lovelies, join KDF

:P

Completely agree!

I play a Fed as my main and even I feel for the lack of content, shiny new items, lack of uniforms and just all around neglect of the KDF faction.

lols want a Fed Orion make an alien paint it green... live without the grotesque Bikinis :P
    I vote "Ne" to this proposal! lol

RachelJ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I actually made a Fed "alien" char up as an Orion/Kriosian hybrid. Speaking of Kriosians, they would make an excellent choice as a playable KDF race.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    bos142bos142 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Dear Ask Cryptic,

I personally have been making pleas for playable Orion characters as both a main character and for BO for the Federation. I have seen many request from others as well and many of us are willing to pay thru the C-Store if that is necessary. I read the forums regularly and have heard the arguments by those in the Klingon faction against it because they feel it would be talking a species/race away from them. However i feel if many players are asking for for it and willing to pay for it why wouldn't you give it to us. I would think that with all of the things that players do complain about and feel that they shouldn't have to pay for why not make an exception give it to us in this case. In my view the pros out weight the cons look below and see for yourself.

Cons

1. Makes Klingon faction players feel like they are loosing a playable faction.

Pros

1. People are asking and willing to pay for them. (its no different then the playable Klingon for character for the feds)
    2. We already have them as DOFFs (by the way Nausicans shouldn't really be available as Fed Doffs)
    3. Stays with in Star Trek cannon because the federation had Galia as a starfleet cadet. Not all Orions are alligned with the syndicate or Klingons. Therefore i can't see CBS objecting or die hard trekkies fighting it.
    4. You already have them in the as far as technical/programming goes so it shouldn't be difficult to transfer or make available.

So the way i see it is better and profitable for Cryptic to let us have something that is already in the game and would make alot of people happy. Hell you can even leave it as something we can create as an alien character as long as you can add seduction as a selectable playable trait that we can add in addition to the species custome wear.

I hope that you will seriously take this into consideration and add before season 7. It would make alot of us happy and earn Cryptic some $.

Other than that STO is a blast and i at least appreciate the huge strides you guys have made since the begining. Its the reason i became a life timer so keep it up.

Thanks
  • Options
    tmunetmune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would argue for Orions not to be made available to Feds but since neither Cryptic or the Federation playerbase care for the KDF there's really little point.

When will you Feds wake up and realise that to Cryptic you are nothing more than cash cows they want to milk, all they do is add fluff to the game because they know you'll keep buying it, if anything start making requests for better content to be added to the game instead of silly things like adding Orions.
  • Options
    hjorlwulfhjorlwulf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Mirrored from the other thread you started called "For Ask Cryptic":

1. From http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gaila_(Orion)

"Gaila was an Orion female and a cadet in Starfleet Academy in the alternate reality." Note the ALTERNATE reality - not canon, not in THIS universe.

2. The Klingon side is a mite irritated that anything unique to its faction inevitably ends up on the Fed side. The opposite rarely if ever happens. Thus at this point any chance of a reasonable response will be at odds with the basic tenant of us that see, at this point, ANYTHING Klingon has to be fought to the knife to keep unique, so the concept of two fully developed factions doesn't die.
    "...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl

"Dan and Cryptic have spoken out the sides of their mouths so much I expect beads, whiskey and Polio blankets for the KDF any day now." - Roach
  • Options
    ericsonxxericsonxx Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am curious as to what could have happened so much between the Narada's attack and Kirk as a young man that got Orions into the Federation?
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ericsonxx wrote: »
    I am curious as to what could have happened so much between the Narada's attack and Kirk as a young man that got Orions into the Federation?

I worry more about the fact that the Narada incident managed to displace a whole planet.

In other words, they've used "it's a different universe" as an excuse to redo a whole lot of stuff.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    ericsonxx wrote: »
    Actually... In the TV shows, the Orions as a group are NOT an enemy of the Federation, nor are they an ally of the Klingons. They're independant and harrass both sides almost equally. Like the Ferengi, they tend towards economic expansion over military. The "Path to 2409" stuff has a rather elaborate backstory on how the Orions came to be allied with the KDF.
    hjorlwulf wrote: »
    Mirrored from the other thread you started called "For Ask Cryptic":

1. From http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gaila_(Orion)

"Gaila was an Orion female and a cadet in Starfleet Academy in the alternate reality." Note the ALTERNATE reality - not canon, not in THIS universe.

2. The Klingon side is a mite irritated that anything unique to its faction inevitably ends up on the Fed side. The opposite rarely if ever happens. Thus at this point any chance of a reasonable response will be at odds with the basic tenant of us that see, at this point, ANYTHING Klingon has to be fought to the knife to keep unique, so the concept of two fully developed factions doesn't die.
    I can think of one very important exception here, Joined Trill. There is no in-game explanation of how they can exist as members of the KDF. I do think that the KDF should have Kriosians as a playable race, actually... I might make a Trill KDF char just so I can pretend to play as a Kriosian.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    thesnyndicatethesnyndicate Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If you wanna play Orion then just play KDF.

I can even help you on that if u got any VOIP program or Skype.

I can help you with lvling up and i can help you with skill/ship building and equipping it.
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'll trade our Orion playable captain for a playable Ferengi KDF side. :)

^not a troll, I'm serious....
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    gypsyblade wrote: »
    I'll trade our Orion playable captain for a playable Ferengi KDF side. :)

^not a troll, I'm serious....
    Honestly, it'd be pretty easy to justify Ferengi availability as a KDF race. As a whole, the race has a rather mercenary attitude.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I Vote Nay to this You want a Orion go KDF
    It is annoying that everything the feds seem to cry for they get while the KDF get nothing.
    Now I play as a fed as well and believe if you give the feds Orions then you will be putting the final nail in the coffin for KDF.

If you want a Orion make a green alien. I myself made a alien and prefer him to any other pre made race when I play as a fed
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    robeasom wrote: »
    I Vote Nay to this You want a Orion go KDF
    It is annoying that everything the feds seem to cry for they get while the KDF get nothing.
    Now I play as a fed as well and believe if you give the feds Orions then you will be putting the final nail in the coffin for KDF.

You're aware the Devs put the last nail in the coffin? They did openly stated they have no plans on putting any real work in developing this faction.

I have a suspicion that in either Season 7 or 8 the War will end. They will introduce the Iconians, the Borg will push harder. The Romulan subfaction will release with the option to either fly Fed or KDF colors. We will still have our unique starbase and unique ships. Content will continue to be cross faction as the Iconians will pose a threat to both the KDF and Fed.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    gypsyblade wrote: »
    You're aware the Devs put the last nail in the coffin? They did openly stated they have no plans on putting any real work in developing this faction.

I think you're misquoting there.

They've said in the past they don't have any current plans to develop missions for KDF. They have said that they have no intention to play catch-up at the expense of the rest of the game, and I think that's reasonable.

They've never said, to the best of my knowledge, that they will never make new things for KDF. They've said on plenty of occasions that they would like to add new things someday. When did they retract that statement?

Now maybe that lack of commitment will result in nothing at all. Or in inferior improvements compared to what the blueside gets. But I think it's still worth pitching a better KDF experience for as long as the game is still running.

I believe a positive expectation about what the KDF will eventually be will have more influence on the game in the long run. If enough players maintain those expectations, eventually they're bound to run out of reasons to say no. Turning it into a "holy war", though, is the wrong approach.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    On topic, while it's not totally unreasonable that Orions might end up in Starfleet... it's not necessarily a given, either.

If they ever do make Orions available, then they should be free for KDF but pay-to-play for Orion Feds, just like Federation Klingons.

And then use that money to fund the KDF. Just sayin'.

Or, fair's fair, open up some other races for the KDF to play. If Cryptic ever gets around to doing the whole First-Officer-to-Playable-Captain thing, you could recruit a cross-faction BO and then promote them to playable captain.

That would allow Feds to play KDF races and vice-versa, but it wouldn't be easy... T4 in Diplomacy or Marauding would be a necessary prerequisite, meaning a long grind to get to that point.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    ehgatoehgato Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    1st sry for english.

2nd If u want a orion go to kdf stop taking the few we have.
    The fed side gets all the atencion of dev team and u want more????? wats next??? the BOP ??? pls ppl if want some thing of kdf side go to kdf .

3rd i have 4 characters in game only 1 fed and i dont goin to expend a single (Z) on him all go to mi kdf. and if the kdf faction dispier i will go and never return there is more ppl than the dev PW think playing in kdf but we still are ignored.

4 sry if some is offended but is the real true i cant believe what the fed ppl.
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There is what is called ex Fed or Starfleet officer that go and join the Orions called Orion Pirates.They don't really attack the Fed only other cartels of the Orions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I think you're misquoting there.

They've said in the past they don't have any current plans to develop missions for KDF. They have said that they have no intention to play catch-up at the expense of the rest of the game, and I think that's reasonable.

They've never said, to the best of my knowledge, that they will never make new things for KDF. They've said on plenty of occasions that they would like to add new things someday. When did they retract that statement?

Now maybe that lack of commitment will result in nothing at all. Or in inferior improvements compared to what the blueside gets. But I think it's still worth pitching a better KDF experience for as long as the game is still running.

I believe a positive expectation about what the KDF will eventually be will have more influence on the game in the long run. If enough players maintain those expectations, eventually they're bound to run out of reasons to say no. Turning it into a "holy war", though, is the wrong approach.

It's a cop out.....

STO is a business flat out... I'm sure they love the game... but to remain open requires profit

They have repeatedly stated that working on the KDF side isn't cost effective. Majority of players don't want to invest in a half faction that they need to hit level 20 just to play. They won't invest as long as it doesn't seem like it would turn a profit.

Back to the chicken and the egg....

Won't buy eggs because they chickens we have just don't lay enough. It's not cost efficient to invest in new livestock strains.

You're aware of the problem that will come up right?

Eventually you'll have no chickens... and in hindsight the idea of investing in a few extra eggs wasn't such a bad idea....

My intention isn't a "Holy War"

And I personally intend on pushing to get a KDF faction this game can be proud of...

The bottom line issue

The devs won't invest unless they see a gainable profit....

* KDF 1/2 the content compared to Fed
    * Requires you to make a level 20 Fed to even roll a KDF toon

The KDF doesn't even a chance to become cost efficient as long as the level restriction is in place.
  • Options
    kilemorgankilemorgan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I want to try this a different way this time.

First I am attacking no one.

Why should Fed faction have playable Orions?

Does it add to the flavor as someone would say, or does it detract?

I personally would be for such a thing, but they are already part of the Klingon faction. There is the option to be a Alien if a person just wants the look. I just do not see a reason.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Alot of KDF players don't get the point. Saying all Orions are KDF is like saying all Mexicans are lazy or all blacks steal cars.

Just as not every Italian is Cosa Nostra, not every Orion is Syndicate. But lets play along with the KDF fantasy that Orions are one big mob family. They already run the Great houses of the Empire through the "Gift" of 1500 ORION women to said houses. Doesn't it makes sense for a criminal syndicate to invest as much in the other side of the equation (Fedaration)? The Syndicate isn't going to turn their green noses up at an opportunity like the Federation. Having high ranking officers in Starfleet would be a boon.

"Ma'am, we need to continue our anti-smuggler patrol."

"Yes... yes, we do. But I think it wouldn't hurt if we gave Astrometrics another 15-20 minutes to examine this rogue comet. They say it might have deuterium core. We are explorers, after all."

**Orion smugglers pass unmolested due to their sister's delay of her ship patrol**

The Orions, like the Ferengi are more concerned with profit. It's why they sold out the Klingons to the Dominion in DS9.

I do agree the KDF is lacking. I wrote a request for more races (Andorian ex-pat, Romulan in exile, Bajoran pissed-at-the-Feds Maquis, Cardassian mercenary, etc...) better racial costumes and unique KDF purchasable player races or bridge officers (Hirogen hunter, Jen'Hadar renegade and Breen freelancer) to liven the side up. The Klingons definitely need updated and more varied clothing options.
This discussion has been closed.