test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Huge fleets somehow at a disadvantage

seraphantillesseraphantilles Member Posts: 97 Arc User
Cryptic:

Problem Description:
There is a maximum rate at which provisions can be earned. It is much too slow. A big fleet like the 12th should be able to earn provisions at a rate proportional to its size (relative to smaller fleets). Yet we can only earn provisions as fast as a fleet with 10% of our membership.
I already see many fleets where people can freely use provisions because there is enough supply to meet the demand generated by 40 players.
However it is impossible to meet the demand of 400 members because supply is artificially limited by the timers on these projects.

Solution:
The provisions missions should be reprogrammed to be able to be completed as many times as possible during the timer. That way bigger fleets who can donate more would get more provisions (which they need because they have more members to give them out to).

Or perhaps you intended large fleets to have to give two item provisions per member every month or two?
Post edited by seraphantilles on

Comments

• Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Large fleets were always going to lose out
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    In turn, small fleets are often had pressed to gather the resources required for missions...

Pretty good tradeoff if you ask me.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    In turn, small fleets are often had pressed to gather the resources required for missions...

I agree on this. Everyone has a disadvantage somewhere.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I believe than Dan or Gozer said the system was designed around an optinal fleet size of 50 active members
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You could always shell out grotesque amounts of Dilithium to complete the provisioning tasks quicker. You do realize that is the ultimate goal for them right?
  • Options
    robuillerobuille Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ceteris Peribus my dear friends and welcome to the reality that is economics.

A fleet with an overly substantial membership contains an over abundance of individuals capable of pooling vast and diverse amounts of the raw material required complete various projects..., but production costs time. As only one starbase is being built and not multiple starbases..., production is limited by quantity of producing capital. Simply put..., if you only have one factory, you can only streamline the process of production to a certain point. That point becomes your limit and results in high demand because resources are scarce.

Flip the coin. Small fleets have less people demanding goods. However, an understaffed factory means production delays. It means greater cost for each of the enterprising starbase foremen to construct the capital that is required to get to the point of even producing provisions. Less people means more expenditure on the individual fleet member to complete projects. Small fleets struggle to acquire that capital that comes easy to large fleets. Therefore, small fleets have a hard time acquiring provisions for lack of human resources.

This is why the most efficient fleet is one that has reached an equilibrium between bloated membership and workforce deficiency.

You see, the problem isn't that large fleets aren't treated fairly. The problem is that overly large fleets are inefficient and it is my firm recommendation you consider layoffs
  • Options
    carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    An enlightening writeup on economics :)

While layoffs will be too severe for those giant fleets who have been together, there is also the option of splitting into multiple small fleets, each "task force" having a specialized gameplay focus.

Sort of what TFR does with separate Academy, PvP and ESTF fleets. Last I checked each fleet had 100-150 people and they'll have at least 3 starbases thanks to decentralization.
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Cryptic:

Problem Description:
    There is a maximum rate at which provisions can be earned. It is much too slow. A big fleet like the 12th should be able to earn provisions at a rate proportional to its size (relative to smaller fleets). Yet we can only earn provisions as fast as a fleet with 10% of our membership.
    I already see many fleets where people can freely use provisions because there is enough supply to meet the demand generated by 40 players.
    However it is impossible to meet the demand of 400 members because supply is artificially limited by the timers on these projects.

Solution:
    The provisions missions should be reprogrammed to be able to be completed as many times as possible during the timer. That way bigger fleets who can donate more would get more provisions (which they need because they have more members to give them out to).

Or perhaps you intended large fleets to have to give two item provisions per member every month or two?

The basic provisioning assignments are already only on 30 minute cooldowns .. I gotta ask the lingering question exactly how many ships and rifles are your people buying each day?
  • Options
    seekerkorhilseekerkorhil Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2012
    I fail to see how this is an issue. As it has been stated if you really need more provisions just do the 216k dilithium ones that award loads on a 30 minute timer.

Again I can't believe this is a problem for a fleet like 12th who, while their roster may say 400 members, probably only have about 50 or so different players who actually play the game.

Forum fleet lives on their forum.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,192 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As I understand it the higher tiers open up new fleet provisions missions that are harder to fill. At that stage larger fleets should gain the advantage as we can fill those provisions easyer more per mission then currently

As far as I can see 12th does not have a provisions problem. More than enough to go around so far. It’s just management wanted to stock up on provisions before opening up the store. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    trekkiemelissatrekkiemelissa Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I know that it really is a pain the way it works out that we don't get a whole lot of provisions. What we did in the English division of 3rd fleet since we have a lot more than the other divisions (and yes we have more than one fleet), we closed up the ability for everyone to buy from the fleet store. Members have to fill out a form on our forums to get access. Once we know we have those provisions in stock, we give them access by promoting them to a usergroup just for the store. Once they are done, they are promoted down to their original usergroup.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    seekerkorhil: Sounds to me that the problem is that they're unhappy at being bottlenecked by the 30 minute timer, when if it didn't exist, they could fill those provisioning projects in (oh, let's say) ten minutes or less, over and over, thus being able to fully utilize and leverage their enormous size and resources rather than being limited like the rest of us.

to the OP: Consider the possibility that limits like this are there for a REASON, and in this case, that reason is that they don't want your gigantic fleet rendering all others irrelevant. Yes, you are being slowed down to the pace of fleets smaller than you. This is (IMO) deliberate.
  • Options
    jim940jim940 Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited August 2012

That is the point, "super" fleets serve no body in the community, I bet you could not recite each of their names, or really hold a conversation in Fleet chat with that many people.

Fleets are supposed to be smaller, more mobile and diverse communities where people can hang out and work towards common goals, such as the provisions, they are not merely just a dumping ground for hundreds of players.
    In our fleet you may only purchase from provisional stores once you have contributed 100K Fleet Credits or have reached a certain rank by lots of participation and helping others.

I have it at the momement personsonally made it 50K donations for fleet purchases, also a unwritten rule of "buy one of everything for now" later once we all have what we need, your welcomed to buy more of the same.
    anazonda wrote: »

I believe its a good trade off as well.

Jim
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is an intended feature. The devs don't want to give any advantage to large fleets, since they can fullfill their projects quickly. At least that was what Heretic said before he leaves. So don't expect any change. Why don't you split your fleet? Two fleets of 200 seems easier to manage. Or learn patience maybe? A week or two isn't the end of the world.

I'm in a fleet where bureaucrats lead the stuff, there are forms for everything, including provisioning. It's tedious, it's boring and it has no interest but giving to some people the feeling that they are usefull. Of course they are not, they're just parasites. It's called a fleet (I won't tell you which one, a member posted here)but we may call this USSR online and see no difference. Don't get into that if you want to keep playing a game. Get a breath, relax. Don't try to force the system to adapt to an absurd number of players, adapt to the system isntead. Just split. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited August 2012
    this is why its up to the leadership to ration out the provisions.