test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet Week Event - August 16th (10am PDT) - August 23rd (10am PDT)

13»

Comments

• darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited August 2012
    In addition to -- you'll get both :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

How many fleetmarks for completion?

I like the fact that other missions are starting to get fleetmark love. :D
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I ended up leaving a fleet this morning, and I am in no rush to join another group. One of the reasons why I left was due to boredom. 'Fleet Event Week' is a pretty interesting concept; however, the rewards for playing these missions do not outweigh my boredom. After I bought a fleet ship and some gear, I thought the game would get interesting. Once I realized this game is one big feedback loop, the repetitive nature of "Star Trek: Online" caused me to stop. Even though I have not stopped signing into the game, I have brought a halt to my character's progression. 'Fleet Event Week' arrives after Perfect World/Cryptic had added timers to Nukera; therefore, the only reason behind doing this is to condition a response. Classical conditioning is the scientific term. *shrugs* I guess Perfect World's conditioning techniques have worn off, for I have decided to take a few steps back. Before I decide to get back into character progression, I will be taking several more steps backward. I now want to see the bigger picture.

While taking psychology courses to fulfill my minor, I was taught the very exact techniques Cryptic is using to condition players. If I had taken a step back earlier, I would have seen the techniques sooner. I was too caught up with the social aspects of the game, and I did not stop to consider what was happening. Everyone is being conditioned to respond to the reward system.

Here is how it works:
    (1) When an individual does a certain task, you give them a reward right away.
    (2) Once the individual is conditioned to repeatedly respond a certain way, you change the reward frequency to every other cycle. Instead of rewarding the person steadily, you are now rewarding them at every other interval.
    (3) As the individual learns the new cycle, you change the frequency of the reward to random. Goal at this point is the get the player to respond automatically.
    (4) If there is any sign of the conditioned response weakening, you make slight changes to the reward frequency.

You can also use this technique to condition people into responding to other stimuli (other rewards).

Sound familiar? Your parents used the technique to teach you how to behave.

Have a cookie.

I am tired of being manipulated into grinding.

I am tired of being manipulated in general.
  • dant158#3249 dant158 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I know, right? The two most solo-centric portions of the game (foundry and doffs) get fleet marks, but not the best team activity in the game where it's common to fly together with fleetmates? Lame! And typical of cryptic to give pvp the finger once again.

Totally agree.
    Marks for pvp should have been in there since day 1, the link between pvp and what a fleet mark is supposed to represent is so obvious.
  • captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So i have this question

why dont you just drop the timer on the missions for the week hell theres an idea
  • jeykooljeykool Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    +1 for fleet marks in PvP.
  • naffoffpwenaffoffpwe Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Firstly, thanks for this "bonus" event, it might just convince me to run a couple of the "fleet" events to get some fleet marks. At this point, I rarely do the newly released fleet events as I'm bored with them already (and was bored with Nukara half-way through my first run of it on Tribble).

Now the big question -

Why, oh why, has PvP (and your customers who prefer it to PvE) been excluded from the bonus once again?

If you are going to let players earn fleet marks by running the foundry exploit missions, then it is only fair to let players also choose to earn marks by playing the PvP dailies - at least they take more time to do than the foundry exploits.

I get that you don't want to / aren't able to devote much developer time to PvP, due to its current low player base - I'm not happy with that position but I understand it. What I don't understand is why PvP is ALWAYS excluded from bonus events such as this one.

PvP in this game is a team event, what better way to earn fleet marks / credits (whatever they are called)? I really don't see why you couldn't have added fleet marks as a reward to the PvP daily wrapper missions while you were adding them to the foundry / PvE queued missions - it can't have taken any longer, after all we're only talking about the wrapper missions here.
    The user formerly known as DogsBody.
    Here before PWE (and hopefully) here long after PWE is gone.

What this game needs is PvP, NOT PWE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2012
    naffoffpwe wrote: »
    Why, oh why, has PvP (and your customers who prefer it to PvE) been excluded from the bonus once again?

Borticus has been discussing it here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5299291#post5299291 -- we'd like to do it, but it has to be done the right way.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • j4ck5p4rr0wj4ck5p4rr0w Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Borticus has been discussing it here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5299291#post5299291 -- we'd like to do it, but it has to be done the right way.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

And you think a foundry daily that 99% of people exploit is the "right way"?
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    And you think a foundry daily that 99% of people exploit is the "right way"?
    If I remember correctly, Fleet marks attached to the Foundry Daily are only available for the week this event is running... so it's not permanent.

I hardly think that includes it in 'right/wrong way', since it's not a permanent thing. My two cents
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
    edited August 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, Fleet marks attached to the Foundry Daily are only available for the week this event is running... so it's not permanent.

I hardly think that includes it in 'right/wrong way', since it's not a permanent thing. My two cents

My point is, how is that any different than temporarily attaching the fleet marks to the PvP daily during the Fleet event week?
    edited August 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks Brandon, I'll have a read and post a response over there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    My point is, how is that any different than temporarily attaching the fleet marks to the PvP daily during the Foundry event week?

Exactly...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    My point is, how is that any different than temporarily attaching the fleet marks to the PvP daily during the Fleet event week?
    And what is that point?

Why is it bothersome? I don't get that... because I hardly think a temporary measure would count as attempts in doing it right, in any way.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited August 2012
    And what is that point?

Why is it bothersome? I don't get that... because I hardly think a temporary measure would count as attempts in doing it right, in any way.

The point is pvp gets screwed out of inclusion in a bonus reward event again, not because Cryptic wants it done right, but because Cryptic forgot to even think about it. They could have easily attached the rewards to one of the wrapper missions and be done with it, regardless of exploitability, just like they did with the foundry.
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No bonus for the officer of the day daily inside the base? (Or whatever it's called)

It should scale to the same as the Mook (normally 5 marks but during the calendar event goes to 7).

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    edited August 2012
    The point is pvp gets screwed out of inclusion in a bonus reward event again, not because Cryptic wants it done right, but because Cryptic forgot to even think about it. They could have easily attached the rewards to one of the wrapper missions and be done with it, regardless of exploitability, just like they did with the foundry.
    With concerns about that inclusion being exploited, expressed by Borticus, I highly doubt that :rolleyes: And I've been here awhile

Not to mention that if they did it, it'd either be exploited, or it'd be too low to be meaningful... so it's gotta be done right, or not at all.
    Was named Trek17.

edited August 2012
    And what is that point?

MY point is that if Cryptic thinks giving out fleet marks with an obviously exploited mission like the foundry daily is "doing it right", then they have no excuse not to give out fleet marks with the PvP daily too.
    Not to mention that if they did it, it'd either be exploited, or it'd be too low to be meaningful... so it's gotta be done right, or not at all.

Once again, you just arent comprehending what people are saying. The foundry daily is probably the most exploited mission in the entire game, yet they STILL gave it the bonus fleet marks for the fleet week event.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Completed the daily officer reports, but didn't get any fleet marks for doing so. :(
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited August 2012
    With concerns about that inclusion being exploited, expressed by Borticus, I highly doubt that :rolleyes: And I've been here awhile

You mean just like with the foundry exploit wrapper rewards, right?
    Arawn & Ihasa
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Completed the daily officer reports, but didn't get any fleet marks for doing so. :(

Starts at 10AM Pacific Time...
    Arawn & Ihasa
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    You mean just like with the foundry exploit wrapper rewards, right?
    Who knows? Either way, it's being done for PvP fleet marks ;) Perhaps it'll be applied to the Foundry Daily at the same time, or maybe later.

Can't say for sure :)
    Was named Trek17.

• khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Starts at 10AM Pacific Time...

My mistake, converted the times to GMT instead of BST. Luckily I only ran it with one out of seven characters.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Um, You do know that that foundry daily is easily and often exploited right?

It still can be done only once a day. Regardless if you complete it in 10 seconds or 3 hours you get the same amount of dilithium and fleetmarks, yes, but, given that you get it once every 20 hours, this is not a big issue. One plays foundries for fun anyways.

For many, reward is something you get, currecny or item, with an immediate or further use. And many will repeat the same boring thing over and over again to get that very little amount of currency. What about the reward of having fun, playing for playing's sake ?
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah it says a BONUS on website for doing these fleet events but I still get the norm... Guess someone dropped the ball there heh.
  • lurch510lurch510 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'd Love to partake in the Fleet Bonus weekend but I can log in to the game for the 3rd straight day. So I guess I'm screwed again ImPerfect World to the rescue!!!!!!!