test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain's Log: Star Trek Online in Las Vegas

j4ck5p4rr0wj4ck5p4rr0w Member Posts: 103 Arc User
This weekend, Massively, along with Trek Radio, hosted the formal Star Trek Online Discussion with the Devs panel at the official Star Trek convention in Las Vegas, Nevada. And if I judge by the personal feedback received and the unanticipated (yet much appreciated) turn-out from players who attended the panel, all seems to have been very well received. Join me past the jump to learn more about what the STO developers said in response to questions posed by Massively and those in attendance at the convention and on the game's forums.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/13/captains-log-star-trek-online-in-las-vegas/

Nothing new unfortunately.
Post edited by j4ck5p4rr0w on

Comments

• darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited August 2012
    What I got from that article was that the devs were giving out their usual spin on stuff...

Wish I could have gone, I would have asked why Star Trek (possibly the biggest sci-fi franchise) has the worst f2p model out of all the f2p games?

Hell even the failed game (although I and a lot of peeps think has not) that is SWTOR has a better f2p model than sto...
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    Wish I could have gone, I would have asked why Star Trek (possibly the biggest sci-fi franchise) has the worst f2p model out of all the f2p games?

it depends on who you are.

for free to play players themselves, its easily one of the best. no pay gated mission content, a dilithium conversion to earn points, and next to no restrictions on being silver. if you plan to pay nothing or next to nothing then this model beats everything hands down for the amount you get for no money at all.

if you are gold, or once you start paying for lots of things in the store, then it can become very expensive and swings the other way.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We get more info than what They gave this past weekend, from the occasional Tweet-leak...

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • standupguy86standupguy86 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    What I got from that article was that the devs were giving out their usual spin on stuff...

Hell even the failed game (although I and a lot of peeps think has not) that is SWTOR has a better f2p model than sto...

Just because SWTOR went F2P doesnt make it a failed game. WoW got lucky, it came out at the very peak of the P2P MMO Era. This is a new generation of MMO enthusiasts who expect to be able to play a game without having to pay every month. And to be honest, I dont blame them. Especially where Star Trek Online is concerned. And I have to agree with you about STO and its lackluster F2P model.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    One way or another, Stahl says Cryptic has no intention of pushing a product that isn't ready
    Re re re reeeaaaaalllly?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I knew they were evil, just look at those red glowing eyes. :P

So it's confirmed the team size has doubled and S7 and S8 will have tons more content. I hope they can live up to that potential.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Having a captive audience for a panel is not the same as hosting from a booth. From the information in the article, the auditorium had many people present who had not heard of STO yet. So it makes sense that the panel had to spend more time in basic introduction mode for the game.

Which is consistent with the most recent Dev blogs here on the STO site. News most of us here already knew about. But new player's who are curious during convention time can glean timely (for them) information when they pass through the site this month.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/13/captains-log-star-trek-online-in-las-vegas/
    One thing he said piqued everyone's interest: He said there will be a focus by the STO team in the future on more featured episodes. Featured episodes were thought dead by many STO players, especially after the free-to-play launch, as the company seemed reluctant to produce story-based missions for endgame players. The featured episodes' virtual disappearance from the game since the release of the five-part series called The 2400, which launched in early spring of this year, left many players disappointed. Stahl seems hopeful that the game's resurrection of the beloved format will be well-received, and he asked for patience, since these episodes will not be seen until at least the launch of Season Eight, which appears to be set for some time in late spring or summer of 2013.

... But not for another year.

This was bound to be a topic. Discuss.
  • sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow, really? Thats it? This is probably the biggest event STO has ever been a part of, and absolutely nothing new? No big announcements? Thats just sad :(
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't understand why people are dignifying all this ridiculous, pretentious yearly planning. "Season Eight"? How about fixing Season Six first?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The dev team has such a ridiculous double standard. One minute they'll tell us they dont want to talk about long term plans because things change, then the next they'll talk about FE's coming back a year from now. Yeah, whatever. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then its just hot hair :rolleyes:
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited August 2012
    while its nice planning so far ahead dont let there be an information drought like usual , keep those tweet leaks coming :p
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
    edited August 2012
    Great , season 7 at earliest for vesta
    this is probably the third time we've heard conflicting remarks on the legal procedure , some devs have said its done , now we hear its not done , which is it ?
    lets hope its just not eternally pushed back like the poor ambassador seems to be :(

speaking of which , im surprised noone asked about it
    12th Fleet
    edited August 2012
    rrincy wrote: »
    this is probably the third time we've heard conflicting remarks on the legal procedure , some devs have said its done , now we hear its not done , which is it ?
    lets hope its just not eternally pushed back like the poor ambassador seems to be :(

speaking of which , im surprised no one asked about it

Never mind
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm still waiting on TrekRadio's HD video recording of the panel. They tried to livestream it, but it came out sounding like they buttdialed in through Skype and were trying to listen through someone's phone that was stuck in their back pocket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
    edited August 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    Actually, They said... (paraphrasing)...

"...now that all the hurdles have been cleared by CBS & Mark R, They can move forward with the project..."

So it's apparently just a matter of Them making the thing and putting it in the game at this point.

eh ? it says ' once the final hurdles have been jumped' on massively , did they get it wrong ?

edit : ah okay :)
    12th Fleet
    edited August 2012
    eh ? it says ' once the final hurdles have been jumped' on massively , did they get it wrong ?

edit : ah okay :)

No, I did...

I think I read it when I was half asleep this morning...

My mind made more out of it than I should have.

I wish the hell They would attend a con over here on the East Ccoast so we could get a chance to put the screws to Them in a Q & A...

;)
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Of course Massively was probably paraphrasing as well, so we won't know exactly what's said until we see the video for ourselves. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited August 2012
    You had me hopeful for a second there :p
    just wish we'd get a straight answer sometimes , i know plans change all the time , but its frustrating , god only knows how the ambassador fans are taking this , since FE's are due to be back in a year or so , and the ambassador was planned FOR a FE ....
    12th Fleet
    edited August 2012
    You had me hopeful for a second there :p
    just wish we'd get a straight answer sometimes , i know plans change all the time , but its frustrating , god only knows how the ambassador fans are taking this , since FE's are due to be back in a year or so , and the ambassador was planned FOR a FE ....

I turned Blue a long, loooong time ago holding my breath, waiting for the Enterprise-C... :(

I guess I'll take comfort in the fact that Dan is still saying that the Vesta IS going to be in the game....

...eventually... :rolleyes:
    edited August 2012
    while its nice planning so far ahead dont let there be an information drought like usual , keep those tweet leaks coming :p

We get more info from them anyway...

Sounds like the LV panel was a noob-info-fest.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The dev team has such a ridiculous double standard. One minute they'll tell us they dont want to talk about long term plans because things change, then the next they'll talk about FE's coming back a year from now. Yeah, whatever. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then its just hot hair :rolleyes:
    That's not a double standard; that's a standard business decision.

Businesses change plans all the time. This is no different.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    We get more info from them anyway...

Sounds like the LV panel was a noob-info-fest.

One of the comments from the guys broadcasting from TrekRadio (not the DevPanel, but the rest of it that you could actually hear) was about how many people were coming up to their booth with no idea what Star Trek Online was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012

speaking of which , im surprised noone asked about it

Let us not forget the example of the Nebula, which was done and ready to go, and then CBS pulled it hours before launch.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited August 2012
    Just because SWTOR went F2P doesnt make it a failed game. WoW got lucky, it came out at the very peak of the P2P MMO Era. This is a new generation of MMO enthusiasts who expect to be able to play a game without having to pay every month. And to be honest, I dont blame them. Especially where Star Trek Online is concerned. And I have to agree with you about STO and its lackluster F2P model.

Oh I know, swtor has not failed despite the critics claiming it has. I still enjoy playing it and will continue to subscribe :D
  • catrimcatrim Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    One of the comments from the guys broadcasting from TrekRadio (not the DevPanel, but the rest of it that you could actually hear) was about how many people were coming up to their booth with no idea what Star Trek Online was.

This is very true. At one point Garrett Wang even came up to the booth and said 'There's an online Star Trek game!?'
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If I read that correctly, no new mission content till S8, which is basically a FULL YEAR from the last FE series? And THATS why I stopped my gold sub, even at its Christmas discounted rate.

So, if actual content isnt till S8 then what on earth is actually IN S7 aside from MAYBE the Vesta?

And its obvious Stahl still doesnt get it and doesnt listen to us at all. It sounds like the only FE he's willing to release has to have a least one new tech showcase per episode, hence why it takes them so damn long. His game is STARVING for mission content and he's still being unrealistic about it. The players want STORY Dan. Read my lips S T O R Y! How many times do we have to tell you, you DONT need shiny new tech every episode. The players would be happy with great stories that advance the storyline and maybe only 5 out of 25 FEs a year have new tech. Yeah, I said 25. Thats the content we SHOULD be getting if you werent so stubborn about the perceived quality of the FEs. The last FEs had some new tech, but the script wasnt that great anyway, with the plotholes and making the new Enterprise Captain seem like a cowardly douche. So, combine suspect scripts with taking WAY too damn long to make them, and Dan's management style creating FEs is way off in how he organizes his team to create them.

Its mindboggling trying to understand the man that says too many resources go into his Summer Blockbuster budget FEs when the community has been telling him for a while now that not every FE has to be big budget. Its like he wants to always one up Foundry authors or something by using toys Foundry authors have no access to. When will he realize that quality STORY is all that is needed to equal and surpass Foundry content?
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2012
    If I read that correctly, no no mission content till S8, which is basically a FULL YEAR from the last FE series. And THATS why I stopped my gold sub, even at its Christmas discounted rate.

You did not read that correctly. Season 7, which is scheduled to launch before the end of the year, is all about new mission content.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You did not read that correctly. Season 7, which is scheduled to launch before the end of the year, is all about new mission content.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well now... that sounds interesting.............
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well now... that sounds interesting.............
    As was mentioned in the last Ask Cryptic, Season 7 has a whole new Zone in it and Missions to go with it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.