Install Arc

What is Brandon's surprise?

Comments

• zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    "...that some have been waiting a long time to see..."

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I will have to wait even longer for the negh'var retrofit then :( Maybe like 800 years.
  • captain4mericacaptain4merica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well. That was disappointing.
  • shadowaxxshadowaxx Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh well, there go my hopes for a KDF Bidet Console. :(
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    Sov Refit looks a little meh...half of it is a kitbash of a sci vessel imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • captain4mericacaptain4merica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Honestly, there was already a good looking Sov refit skin in game. Dont remember the name, but this is the ship:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17n1hva5jvt5jjpg/original.jpg

If I were to get that ship that would be the skin I'd use, not the default one.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Honestly, there was already a good looking Sov refit skin in game. Dont remember the name, but this is the ship:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17n1hva5jvt5jjpg/original.jpg

If I were to get that ship that would be the skin I'd use, not the default one.

That is quite an old cover! It features the Noble-class skin which is already in-game. The Sovereign refit is being called the Regent-class as per the blog.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well, it is a surprise in that I expected the Vesta (KDF ships aren't expected, only hoped for).
    But it's a rather bad surprise given the somewhat "blocky" design. I'm generally not a big fan of the 2409 skins, but at least they are nicely streamlined (the exception I like really a lot is the Odyssey, very streamlined).

But this one? It feels unfinished. Is it a final version? Could you provide photos from different angles?
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    rrincy wrote: »
    i did tell you it'd be a 2409 skin :p

Well I did mention this as well as many other players so your not the only one. :P:P:rolleyes:
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    While I know some people have been complaining about the Fed's side dire lack of content and how much they need a new ship :rolleyes: that is one ugly deformed baby. It looks like an anorexic Odyssey.
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    The Vesta class should come before any other cruiser, the devs said the game needed more science ships. There are already too many cruisers. Seriously. Which means no Sovereign. Bad guess.

LOL :eek::eek::D
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    That is quite an old cover! It features the Noble-class skin which is already in-game. The Sovereign refit is being called the Regent-class as per the blog.

Not quite. It has the cool inbetween-the-nacelles spoiler/pod thing which the Noble is lacking. That makes it far cooler than the Noble.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I bet it's what everyone needs and is severely lacking in this game... ANOTHER FED CRUISER!!!
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe this time it is a grain-fed free range cruiser! :P

Seriously, though, it might be another standard cruiser, or it could be a more tactically oriented cruiser (a 'battleship'), or it could be a Fed carrier.
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited August 2012
    kimmera wrote: »

Seriously, though, it might be another standard cruiser, or it could be a more tactically oriented cruiser (a 'battleship'), or it could be a Fed carrier.

its a sovvy refit , so pretty much standard cruiser ... again
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    brigadooom wrote: »
    Not quite. It has the cool inbetween-the-nacelles spoiler/pod thing which the Noble is lacking. That makes it far cooler than the Noble.

Yeah, agreed. The cover is from October of 2008 however, I guess that didn't make it into the final cut, the nacelle-bound torp launcher that is. Other that that, the ship on that cover is the Nobel-class. Picture
  • tdon7tdon7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kimmera wrote: »

Doesn't matter. It's still yet another Fed cruiser. Bleh!
    A half faction is no faction at all.
  • studleydoostudleydoo Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Awesome....been waiting a long time for the Sovereign refit. Thank you Cryptic!

Personally not a big fan of the design so far as I'm in love with the classic sovereign design, but the design fits the lineage of current new ships. I still have to see more pics.

What I'm most concerned about is the boff layout and stats of this ship. This will be the big determining factor for me. I really hope it is not the fleet Sov layout we glimpsed in tribble before the release of Season 6. I hope its been a little more balanced out. Yes...more tactical punch but with less sacrifice to its tanking abilities. Please cryptic...make us proud.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It kind of looks like the Oddy without a neck.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I thought he shaved his chest and posted a photo
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    That Cryptic is being sold again to a company that isn't Pay to Win Entertainment aka PWE

This game is quite playable with out havin to spend cash , so it can't really be called pay to win
  • zebularzebular Member Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    seanftd wrote: »
    This game is quite playable with out havin to spend cash , so it can't really be called pay to win
    Considering just how much stuff costs dilithium now and how much dilithium those things cost and how things are now slowly becoming per-character unlocks and how many of those things directly alter game-play balance between as well as considering the relative low amount of dilithium (very repetitively mind-you) a casually played character can make in a day, I have to disagree. (Longest run-off sentance I've ever written!) Oh yeah.. someone has to be spending cash somewhere in order for that Zen to be there to buy in the first place...

The emphasis is clearing on making dilithium an annoyance to grind, trying to temp players into buying dilithium instead by offering new dilithium costing things that change the balance of the game. I wish balance-affecting things would have remained EC and fluff/non-balance things in the Zen shop. Alas, that is a discussion for elsewhere.
    scififan78 wrote: »
    An opened dialog box with your ship still cloaked. :eek:
    Doh! That would have been great, indeed!
    Check it out! http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=633171

Amazing work, JamJamz! She's a beauty! Enjoy :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    From what I see here, she looks like a beauty, well done! I just hope she doesn't cost too much and is account wide unlock. Cheers!
    Full Name: Zeryn Zebulon Zebular 
    Short Name: Zebular ( @zebular )
    Starfleet Rank / Serial: Vice Admiral, Field Captain / SZ-872-112
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

Handles: @zebular (PC)@MtnDewFreak (XBOX)@Terraseer (PS4)
    edited August 2012
    If you can earn dilithium n buy stuff then there's is no need to have to spend cash atall. They can't make it easy to earn that amount of dilithium or they would loose out cash wise. Being patient and building up on your dilithium does get you your points at end of tht day so you can buy your item, also I don't see that people have to buy stuff from cstore to make there ship decent, the game is still very playable with out this items. I'm not saying not to buy credit I just don't agree that you have to pay to win on here. I have bought galaxy x, excelsior com and admiral variants , nx01, and the new version of the constitution with out cash. It did take ages to be fair tho. And I will admit that on and off I pay the months fee for the game but the 400 credits I got went on master keys lol to which I got nothing for lol
  • bludaggerbludagger Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Lets stick to the Topic team... the ship. the other discussion(s), please take it someplace else.
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    While I know some people have been complaining about the Fed's side dire lack of content and how much they need a new ship :rolleyes: that is one ugly deformed baby. It looks like an anorexic Odyssey.

yeah, you(nrobbiec) just removed all doubt....:rolleyes:

Anyhow, good work Jamz, good progression too, I like it. Some will, some won't, but let us hope they express such in much better manners that some have shown here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mavgeekrsamavgeekrsa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    seanftd wrote: »

It really depends upon your definition of "pay to win". It's been said to be more of a "pay for convience" scheme.

It's pay to win.

Any mmorpg, that requires you to spend real world money to get the best items, is pay to win.

Look at Lobi Crystals. Didn't we get an entire speech and such about how making the currency system smaller with Dilithium would make it easier? Sure, on paper. Until you add in an 8,000 cap every day. And Lobi only come from lockboxes, which cost real world money. And some of those boxes have items that are better than what you can get by normally playing the game. Sure, if you want to spend a life time grinding EC, you might see a few lockbox keys on the exchange for millions of EC, but that further drives how the point; one player grinding EC for just one key is going to get a few Lobi and maybe an item they can use while another player pumping Zen into the C-Store for keys is going to get far more Lobi and many more chances of an item they can use.

And that's just comparing the two in a PvE perspective. When you start looking at PvP, any PvPer knows that min/maxing is your goal, whatever little advantages you can get, you get. So you're back in the loop of running STF's forever, or maybe finding something slightly less in quality through massive amounts of EC / Dilithium. And considering how the loot tables / drop rates are on the Borg Salvage parts that just makes it worse. I know people who've run hundreds of STF's on Elite, never once got one to drop while someone else does two STF runs and gets a piece.

Again this is how a Asian based mmorpg is designed around. A lot of us were prepared for this and simply work our way around it as best we can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    redshirtarmy.com - RedShirtArmy Podcast
    STO / Cryptic member since 2009 (mavgeek)
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mavgeekrsa wrote: »
    Sure, if you want to spend a life time grinding EC, you might see a few lockbox keys on the exchange for millions of EC, but that further drives how the point; one player grinding EC for just one key is going to get a few Lobi

I'm glad I'm not a fly with a very short lifespan then ;)
    I reduced the amount of exchangeactivities to 10 minutes per day, it still nets me 4-5 Million EC per day. And I know it could be more.
    I actually do it solely for the purpose of "grinding" 800 Lobi for a Recluse. Why I don't buy it directly? I think it is more fun this way, and maybe I get another Orb Weaver and I get items to quiz out in fleet.

You can get Free Zen, you can "grind" 40 Zen per character per day (roughly). It is possible to get everything in this game without ever paying a single cent (at least it isn't you). You just need some time and should be able to wait.

And that is one of the things which differentiates STO from lots of "F2P"-games, where you have to really invest money to even be able to survive the leveling process. Not talking about Dungeon/Raid bosses. It is also one of the reasons why going Gold is so unvaluable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Pat for convenience is a better term I guess lol . But back to topic, new ship not keep on her, I think I preffer the traditional sov. However to be fair I hated and I mean really hated the odyssey , that was untill I got the free standard one , and now I kinda love it.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited August 2012
    I reserve judgement until I see its stats!

I am still waiting for the Gal-R to get an update to make it relevant again.
    When you keep making ships that peeps have previously bought irrelevant, it is very hard to buy another ship in fear of the same thing happening......
  • burchenallburchenall Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As for the ship I have to say that I really love the "classic" sovereign, I like a lot the design of the assault cruiser Cryptic has ingame and I like a lot the dorsal view of this new Sovy... although I'm not so sure about the ventral view... maybe it's because of that particular screenshot.

Anyway I can't wait to see it fly around to check it out ^^)
  • captrayvenwingcaptrayvenwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No Constellation makes my antennas droop
    The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
    Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As the Sovereign is my favorite Cruiser I'll certainly buy it - and the fact that I can buy it with free Zen just makes it all that much more appealing.:)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.