test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Voyager+Crew ship isn't very canon

onlineangelonlineangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
In Star trek Online, you can buy the Retrofit Voyager with the ablative armour - This is a long range science vessel. That needs 3 science bridge officers.

In the voyager series there was only the doctor that wore the blue sci/med colour. Everyone else was tactical red or engineering yellow.

Cept for 7, she wore a skin-tight cat suit, very nice it was too. But here she's an engineer so you can't even use her highest rank skills onboard her own ship.

Does this seem odd and out of theme to anyone else?

How would you replicate the voyager crew and fly Voyager?

No-mark science guys just crewing the stations and making your bridge look all wrong?

If we could choose our borg boffs class, (e.g. eng, sci or tac) that would be excellent. If we could choose the class and sex, that would be brilliant. If we could choose class, sex and race that would be... Words couldn't explain what that would be, I'd just cry.

Make it so!
Post edited by onlineangel on

Comments

• ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Regardless of the hue of their attire, the crew of Voyager tended to "science their way" through a lot of sticky situations, I think Intrepid's are perfectly justified in being the way they are. And remember, they probably left DS9 with more bluies prior to the Caretaker ruining their day. And the seven subsequent years actually. TRIBBLE the caretaker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Voyagers original (pre terrorist mix) crew had a Full science department , engineers , tacs and even real working doctors
    Live long and Prosper
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    In the voyager series there was only the doctor that wore the blue sci/med colour. Everyone else was tactical red or engineering yellow.

The Voyager crew would have included a lot more science officers, except for that little incident in the first episode that killed them off, leaving Captain Janeway as pretty much the sole scientist on board. (Back in the days of those TV shows, the captains always wore red, regardless of specialty.)
  • zebularzebular Member Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, as others have pointed out, the Caretaker incident screwed things. My science officer is the proud Captain of the Intrepid Refit and as well, Voyager is my favorite of all the Star Trek series (hate me all you want). Voyager is the only series I have watched more than twice all the way through, having watched it 4 times since it's original airing. In my personal and probably biased opinion, I feel the STO incarnation of the Intrepid is pretty spot on to what we have seen in the Voyager series. Even more so if you get all the Borg equipment, allowing one to visualize that period when Voyager was all teched out in Borg equipment.
    Full Name: Zeryn Zebulon Zebular 
    Short Name: Zebular ( @zebular )
    Starfleet Rank / Serial: Vice Admiral, Field Captain / SZ-872-112
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

Handles: @zebular (PC)@MtnDewFreak (XBOX)@Terraseer (PS4)
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Regardless of the hue of their attire, the crew of Voyager tended to "science their way" through a lot of sticky situations, I think Intrepid's are perfectly justified in being the way they are. And remember, they probably left DS9 with more bluies prior to the Caretaker ruining their day. And the seven subsequent years actually. TRIBBLE the caretaker.

Now I'm a Voyager fan and I folowed every serie that game out.
    Now Voyager had not just one blue or to be precise it was green.

You had Seven of Nine was an sience officer
    You had Samantha Wildman she was sience
    You had the Doctor he was sience

And you also had :

Chakotay but he was commander thats why he was dressed red
    Captain Janeway she was an Sience Officer
    And low ranks you did not see much but see pass by where sience .

That's why Cryptic made this ship an sience ship, In this part I have to defend Cryptic in their choise sory.

Greetzzzzz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    STO isn't exactly known for being Canon.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited August 2012
    Neelix's send-off in the 3rd to last episode was actually the most Blue Shirts you will ever see in one shot in all of Voyager.

Because the great majority of the science and medical crew were killed off in the first episode, that left most of the crew wearing yellow (red seemed to be reserved pretty much for Conn and Command officers.)

All throughout the series, you'd only ever see the occasional blue shirt walking through a corridor, or during a medical emergency when the sickbay was set up to triage large amounts of patients. I can only imagine that those particular blue shirts must have been botanists, geologists, and the like- basically fields that wouldn't require them to learn more than the basics of medical science like every Starfleet officer must learn at the academy. If any Biologists had survived, they'd be more qualified to be a nurse or doctor than Tom Paris was... but he was trained anyway.

The only two named blue shirts across the series were Samantha Wildman and William Telfer (episode Good Shepard).

Ironic, in a manner of speaking, the blue shirts were the red shirts in that series.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    In Star trek Online, you can buy the Retrofit Voyager with the ablative armour - This is a long range science vessel. That needs 3 science bridge officers.

Cept for 7, she wore a skin-tight cat suit, very nice it was too. But here she's an engineer so you can't even use her highest rank skills onboard her own ship.

Does this seem odd and out of theme to anyone else?

How would you replicate the voyager crew and fly Voyager?

No-mark science guys just crewing the stations and making your bridge look all wrong?

If we could choose our borg boffs class, (e.g. eng, sci or tac) that would be excellent. If we could choose the class and sex, that would be brilliant. If we could choose class, sex and race that would be... Words couldn't explain what that would be, I'd just cry.

Make it so!

Ensign Wildman (science), Janeway (Captain / science), Seven (jack of all trades, assigned to Astrometrics/science)

Suffice it to say, your list is a bit short. That being said, Wildman, Janeway and Seven weren't the ONLY scientists on Voyager.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited August 2012
    For the record: here's the list of all the unnamed crewmembers who showed up on Voyager at one point or another.

Special mention goes to the elderly grey-haired science officer who repeatedly showed up in the messhall quite often throughout the series, also appeared in numerous episodes of TNG as a background extra, and started his Star Trek career in TOS in "The Doomsday Machine".
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Everyone else was tactical red or engineering yellow.
    There's no such thing as "tactical red" or "engineering yellow".

There is Command red and Operations gold. Your uniform depends on your job. Command division, Operations division, or Science/Medical division.

Tuvok, as tactical officer and chief of security of Voyager wore Operations gold, as did Tasha Yar.

Worf wore Command red as a Comm Officer in the command division, but wore Operations gold when he became tactical officer and chief of security. He later switched to Command red as strategic operations officer on DS9.

Geordi LaForge wore Command red when he was a Comm Officer in the command division, and wore Operations gold when he switched to the operations division as Chief Engineer. As captain of the U.S.S. Challenger, he wears Command red.

Janeway herself wore Sciences blue as a junior officer, changing to Command red when she changed divisions.
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wait... you get to buy Voyager? When did that happen?

Last I heard you could buy a ship of the same class Voyager started out as or a ship based on the ship Voyager came back as, after considerable heavy modification which likely was not all adapted by Star Fleet.

They lost a large portion of crew right off the bat and had to supplement with Marquis terrorists/freedom fighters they had on board. That made a mess of the normal dress code. And then there were Kes and Neelix and Seven, all of whom joined during the voyage...

Star Fleet conventions regarding crew complement were tossed out the window and the ship was adapted to what they had. And this happened over the course of years, literally.

That is not the ship you are purchasing when you purchase the retrofit.
    edited August 2012
    No, he means the Intrepid Class with Ablative armor that Voyager had. Not Voyager itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    cusashorn wrote: »
    No, he means the Intrepid Class with Ablative armor that Voyager had. Not Voyager itself.

Which he refers to as 'the retrofit Voyager' and then promptly goes on to use as evidence Voyagers apparent officer mix from the series. Voyager's officer mix. Not the officer complement of a standard Intrepid Class from some less ship specific source.

I stand by my comments.
  • srgtburglarsrgtburglar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Cept for 7, she wore a skin-tight cat suit, very nice it was too.
    You can say that again brb googling something and Ill be back in 10-15 :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Opening a lockbox is like using a public restroom when u gotta poo.
    You are just hoping nobody blew on the seat or that all the toilet paper is gone.
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If they wanted to make it canon, Intrepid should be the only science ship with a Lt Cmdr tac station.

Tuvok was a Lt Cmdr so the Intrepid should match but it doesnt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
    edited August 2012
    If they wanted to make it canon, Intrepid should be the only science ship with a Lt Cmdr tac station.

Tuvok was a Lt Cmdr so the Intrepid should match but it doesnt.

Also, instead of beaming down, we would just have the option to land on a planet.
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • zebularzebular Member Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Also, instead of beaming down, we would just have the option to land on a planet.

:cool:

/10char
    Full Name: Zeryn Zebulon Zebular 
    Short Name: Zebular ( @zebular )
    Starfleet Rank / Serial: Vice Admiral, Field Captain / SZ-872-112
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

Handles: @zebular (PC)@MtnDewFreak (XBOX)@Terraseer (PS4)
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    my problems with the Intrepid class in STO:

#1: it looks horrible (i won't list it all, just look at the ship and compare to the show, it's no way as sexy, has wrong shapes, underside of the saucer is just wrong, warp nacelles are just wrong... i find it bothersome that in 2+ Years they never remade those Ships to look their best. Ships are the #1 Selling point of this Game, making Ships look awesome should always be a priority, no matter if old or new. To every new player old ships will be new... they are trying just now to re-sell us those old ships that they never touched again through the Fleet System...
    minimum effort, maximum $$$ -> LAME! )

#2: the ablative armor... is just a 15 second armor buff, like any other armor buff (aux2sif3 or whatever...) -> i buy that Tier 5 refit because of that visual only!, i want it to be a TOGGLE, i want to fly around looking like that all the time if i want to!
    i don't care about the mediocre buff, change it so it makes sense with a toggle.
    Every Other Tier 5 Refit special power is a Toggle, Saucer Sep, MVAM, Cloak -> all Toggles,
    but Ablative Hull? 15 seconds poof... + cooldown forever...
    LAME!
    In VOY Endgame that armor was up for Minutes, if not longer.

Do i care about the BOff Layout?... no, not yet, because in the state it is in i will never fly that Ship :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think while Voyager is a science ship, it does fight a lot in the show, I think it should have a Boff/ console layout like the recon sci vessel, the extra tac console and extra ensign tac station would better represent that the ship is pretty good at fighting.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • keeny75keeny75 Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I keep sg the word canon pop up but what does it mean?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    keeny75 wrote: »
    I keep sg the word canon pop up but what does it mean?

It means the official story.

Literally the word means "book" and refers to the process of assembling religious texts from sources.

In Star Trek, it means what the owners of Star Trek recognize as the official storyline.

In general, books, games, comics, etc. are not "official" (they don't have to be recognized or to make sense with one another; they're all "pretend") although good ideas from them sometimes stick around.

When something is canon, it is official and everything else is required by the owner not to contradict a canon story.
  • keeny75keeny75 Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ds9fan2ds9fan2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    #2: the ablative armor... is just a 15 second armor buff, like any other armor buff (aux2sif3 or whatever...) -> i buy that Tier 5 refit because of that visual only!, i want it to be a TOGGLE, i want to fly around looking like that all the time if i want to!(

I concur, maybe with some other modifications... I don't know. As it is, activating it largely removes you from the fight since you can no longer fire main weapons, and it uses up a console slot. As a result, you think maybe it'd be better to ditch the special armor for some normal armor in that slot that allows you to keep firing.

One easy fix would be to give the retrofit an extra console slot just for the ablative armor. That way you don't feel like you're losing something by getting the better ship.
    edited August 2012
    Tuvok was a lt (and remained one for most of the series )
    Live long and Prosper
    edited August 2012
    He was promoted to lieutenant commander in season 4 or so, and was simply refered to as commander from there on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2012
    What seems to be missing from this argument is the fact that your ship and Voyager are not the same ship. When you fly an Intrepid class ship it is not Voyager and therefor does not have to have the same bridge officer complement, the same bridge, the same nacelles, the same anything... even if you like to pretend it does.

If you're looking for the canon answer, there it is. A) Voyager was in highly unusual circumstances and without half it's usual crew complement - a situation none of us are in as captains - B) Just because ships are the same class does not mean they have to have the same configuration of bridge officers (unless you're playing STO) and C) It's 40 years later... things change.

If you're looking for a real life answer, just repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax" :)
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited August 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Tuvok was a lt (and remained one for most of the series )

This is mostly false. Tuvok was a Lt when Voyager arrived in the Delta Quadrant, but was promoted to Lt Cmdr at some unseen time. In the episode Prime Factors, he was reprimanded and apparently demoted. The 3rd episode of season 4 saw him promoted to Lt Cmdr again.

In any case, to be canon, Intrepid should have a Lt Cmdr tactical.

Because if Voyager only had a Lt tactical station, Voyager would not have been able to use High Yield Torpedoes III so often, and also there would have been little need to promote Tuvok. They needed his HYIII ability.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    my problems with the Intrepid class in STO:

#1: it looks horrible (i won't list it all, just look at the ship and compare to the show, it's no way as sexy, has wrong shapes, underside of the saucer is just wrong, warp nacelles are just wrong... i find it bothersome that in 2+ Years they never remade those Ships to look their best.

It looked alot WORSE when the game launched, same with the Defiant and Galaxy Classes.

The galaxy in the sites background is the original model, notice the missing windows on the bottom of the saucer.

If you want to see the original Defiant, intrepid and Galaxy models in game, set them up as gold models in your ship's interior.

But agree it could be better.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    If you want to see the original Defiant, intrepid and Galaxy models in game, set them up as gold models in your ship's interior.

Ooooh, no wonder the gold models looked strange to me, I didn't realize they weren't using the same models.
    edited August 2012
    Janeway had no legal power to promote ANYONE in the delta quadrant

he was a lt for most of the time

thus a LT tac position
    and a LT engineer
    and maybe a captain sci
    Live long and Prosper