test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feature request: navigation while on the Bridge

seraphantillesseraphantilles Member Posts: 97 Arc User
I would like to request the following feature: being able to set a course and warp speed to travel at whilst on the bridge. So that your ship is actually going somewhere while you are on the bridge doing something else (like doffing). You could stop by various systems on the way to DOFF at, etc.

Please Cryptic, please!
Post edited by seraphantilles on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Problem with that is, that when you are on the bridge, you are not in sector space...

AND, this has been requested 10000000 times before, and the fact remains that cryptic does not know how to do such a thing.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No, thank you.

I would much rather have my single controllable in-game avatar just be a ship on space maps and a humanoid on "ground" maps. And never the 'twain shall meet. :)

Anything else would needlessly complicate this simple game-mechanic and cause a catastrophic tear in the STO space-time continuum. :eek:
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Been requested a bajillion times. Been denied a bajillion times.

I expect it will continue to be denied at least a bajillion more times.

But +1 cool points for asking politely. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited July 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Problem with that is, that when you are on the bridge, you are not in sector space...

AND, this has been requested 10000000 times before, and the fact remains that cryptic does not know how to do such a thing.

They know how to do it. It would involve using a completely different engine. One of the times it got shot down the Dev (I'm going to blame DStahl, but I don't remember which one) listed the limitations of the existing game engine. IIRC, he also said that it was a design feature because STO is not another Star Trek game where this was possible and they were not trying to add it.
  • anthonyxmas1anthonyxmas1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would like to request the following feature: being able to set a course and warp speed to travel at whilst on the bridge. So that your ship is actually going somewhere while you are on the bridge doing something else (like doffing). You could stop by various systems on the way to DOFF at, etc.

Please Cryptic, please!

No thanks. The UI is crowded enough already! Even if you overlaid some of the UI on the walls of the bridge, it would still involve a viewscreen on a bridge with a reduced view of sector space. The fonts in sector space are too small, already :mad:

Where would YOU put the chat window? Or the mini-map? And if you turn around on the bridge, would you then NOT see the UI ship controls?

I don't need THAT much immersion :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAUREN RULZ !!!!!!!!
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bohiap wrote: »
    They know how to do it. It would involve using a completely different engine. ...

Are you prepared to have STO down for a few years while it is rebuilt using the "different" game engine?

Are you suggesting that STO undergo the dreaded "NGE" in order for you to have a more simulation-like ST experience?

Are you prepared to have the Foundry and all the work of the contributors removed until some future date where they will have to go in and completely rebuild all of their work because STO underwent this "NGE" and now the Foundry tool for STO is completely different from that used for Cryptics new MMO - NeverWinter?

I'm just asking. ;)
  • ocean1ocean1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I may be wrong, but I think he is asking for navigation from the bridge, not flight. And that should be doable.

How?

Say you're in orbit around ESD.
    You click visit bridge.
    You pop onto your bridge. Your ship is no longer on any map.
    You click on your helmsman, click Set Course.
    Select the system/station you want to go to, lets say DS9.
    Helmsman says, Yes sir, course laid in. ETA 3 minutes.

Star lines shows on the main view screen (or maybe it just stays black), and a small timer shows somewhere on your screen. (Your ship is still not on a map. Your really not going anywhere. You are still standing on you bridge.)

You go do what ever you want on your ship. Doffing, changing you reward displays, sit in your captains chair, whatever.
    When the timer hits zero, the helmsman tells you that we are now at DS9.
    When you you click Leave Interior. You pop into in space around DS9 instead of ESD.

No new game engine needed, no big UI changes (Unless you call a timer a big UI change.).

The only big change would be a nice map to select where you want to go.
  • rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I don't need THAT much immersion :)

But i do looking at all the USS yo mama's in D'Koras and web weavers ruins my immersion :P
  • alastairnallalastairnall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ocean1 wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I think he is asking for navigation from the bridge, not flight. And that should be doable.

How?

Say you're in orbit around ESD.
    You click visit bridge.
    You pop onto your bridge. Your ship is no longer on any map.
    You click on your helmsman, click Set Course.
    Select the system/station you want to go to, lets say DS9.
    Helmsman says, Yes sir, course laid in. ETA 3 minutes.

Star lines shows on the main view screen (or maybe it just stays black), and a small timer shows somewhere on your screen. (Your ship is still not on a map. Your really not going anywhere. You are still standing on you bridge.)

You go do what ever you want on your ship. Doffing, changing you reward displays, sit in your captains chair, whatever.
    When the timer hits zero, the helmsman tells you that we are now at DS9.
    When you you click Leave Interior. You pop into in space around DS9 instead of ESD.

No new game engine needed, no big UI changes (Unless you call a timer a big UI change.).

The only big change would be a nice map to select where you want to go.

This approach has also been brought up more times than a Q could count. The problem the devs said with this particular suggested approach is they'd still need a way to track where the player should be in sector space.

As cool as I think it'd be to have a use other than unmodifiable decoration for the bridges, I don't see it happening. And I can't imagine how many things cryptic would break if they tried.
  • ocean1ocean1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This approach has also been brought up more times than a Q could count. The problem the devs said with this particular suggested approach is they'd still need a way to track where the player should be in sector space.

As cool as I think it'd be to have a use other than unmodifiable decoration for the bridges, I don't see it happening. And I can't imagine how many things cryptic would break if they tried.

So don't track where the player is. If you leave the interior before the count down ends then you pop out of warp at your starting location.

But you're right, its not going to happen. If they can't do it right, why do it at all.
  • bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited July 2012
    pyryck wrote: »
    Are you prepared to have STO down for a few years while it is rebuilt using the "different" game engine?

NO
    Are you suggesting that STO undergo the dreaded "NGE" in order for you to have a more simulation-like ST experience?

HELL NO.
    Are you prepared to have the Foundry and all the work of the contributors removed until some future date where they will have to go in and completely rebuild all of their work because STO underwent this "NGE" and now the Foundry tool for STO is completely different from that used for Cryptics new MMO - NeverWinter?

I'm just asking. ;)

Are you insane? That would be almost all of the story content for nearly a year.

:D