test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If the Transporter were invented NOW, would you use it or not?

2»

Comments

• sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Some criminal justice systems are infallible

not all but some

How to spot a Real criminal

1 in possession of drugs ??
    yep

2 gang member ?
    yep

simples
    Live long and Prosper
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yea... I would... seems no more dangerous than driving...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    How to spot a Real criminal

1 in possession of drugs ??
    yep
    What if the drugs were planted, either on purpose or by accident? Let's say someone was riding in your car with you and a baggie of weed fell out of his pocket as he got out, landing on the passenger's seat floor without you knowing. Then a cop pulls you over for a burned-out tail light, notices the baggie, and makes the arrest, but when you try to have your "friend" testify, they (to save their own skin) claim they don't even know you.

By your logic, you were in possession of drugs and therefore, you are guilty!
    2 gang member ?
    yep
    Let's say you just got initiated into a gang for survival's sake, because your neighborhood is dangerous as hell. You're still a new recruit who hasn't committed any crimes yet. I see no guilt there.

Not so "simples" after all.

Short of seeing the future or reading someone's mind, there is no infallible criminal justice system.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I remember when Cell Phones first started getting big, I said to myself- "might as well get one... you're gonna have to sooner or later."

I remember when Facebook first started getting big, I said to myself- "might as well sign up... you're getting sucked into it sooner or later."

When transporters get invented, and have been tested safe, I'll say to myself- "might as well use it... you're getting beamed up sooner or later."

You can't avoid new technology, you can only put it on the back burner for a little while. Just dive in...
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Just dive in...

Would you dive in right away after hearing about the President trying it out first only to find his head on backwards and wondering why no one told him about his huge rear end? :D
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ok I have to give you toilet paper

don't be so sure....where do you think sandpaper really came from? :eek:
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    azniadeet wrote: »
    I remember when Cell Phones first started getting big, I said to myself- "might as well get one... you're gonna have to sooner or later."

I remember when Facebook first started getting big, I said to myself- "might as well sign up... you're getting sucked into it sooner or later."

When transporters get invented, and have been tested safe, I'll say to myself- "might as well use it... you're getting beamed up sooner or later."

You can't avoid new technology, you can only put it on the back burner for a little while. Just dive in...

Except, in this theoretical scenario where the ST transporter technology was invented, we would literally be committing suicide just to let an identical clone take our place on the receiving end. I don't exactly like that idea. If the source matter was transported, not destroyed and then copied, I wouldn't have any problems with it. It'd be just like walking through a wormhole. Sort of.

And as for your comment on Facebook, I still don't have or plan on having a Facebook account. So your logic is flawed.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • srspellssrspells Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lovely times I would so do it.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • kdr37kdr37 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So...yeah, your original self is destroyed on the quantum level and converted into information/energy totalling approx. 1x10^45 bits. This information is then sent on and a copy is assembled. But it'd never actually be you because a) you're dead, and b) the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle kicks in...and because it's uncertain as to which parts the Uncertainty Principle will affect - in theory, it's a range from 0%-100%, though all things will still have been affected in uncertain ways (so getting an exact quantum duplicate of even one bit of information would be a massive fluke) - there's no way to compensate for it. At all. Ever. It just can't be done.
    So you would no longer be 'you', and even another copy run off from the information held in the buffer would carry differences (because the wheel gets spun again and out comes another imperfect copy - and please note that 'copy' is only used loosely).

Overall, then, I'd still have to say 'No' (just as I've managed to do with mobile/call phones and Facebook; I've not died, the world's not ended, I get along pretty fine ;)).
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Has any scientist or engineer even tried along the lines of making something close to transporter?
  • kdr37kdr37 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    raj011 wrote: »
    Has any scientist or engineer even tried along the lines of making something close to transporter?

AFAIK it's only been looked at on a theoretical level.
  • captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    would i use it humm HELL yes no more traffic and the time saved would be awesome
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    aesica wrote: »
    What if the drugs were planted, either on purpose or by accident? Let's say someone was riding in your car with you and a baggie of weed fell out of his pocket as he got out, landing on the passenger's seat floor without you knowing. Then a cop pulls you over for a burned-out tail light, notices the baggie, and makes the arrest, but when you try to have your "friend" testify, they (to save their own skin) claim they don't even know you.

By your logic, you were in possession of drugs and therefore, you are guilty!

too right you are
    if you are stupid enough to let a drug user in your car you are guilty of being an accomplice (Anyone can spot a drug user )

Let's say you just got initiated into a gang for survival's sake, because your neighborhood is dangerous as hell. You're still a new recruit who hasn't committed any crimes yet. I see no guilt there.

Not so "simples" after all.
    Gangs are groups of the WEAK banded together to hurt the weaker still
    Strong people oppose gangs
    and WIN
    membership of a gang is itself a crime in many nations
    Short of seeing the future or reading someone's mind, there is no infallible criminal justice system.
    Judicial Triad comes very close
    Live long and Prosper
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Tempting; but I have no wish to be disintegrated.

So no.
  • jg2112jg2112 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    raj011 wrote: »

I think I remember seeing an article about real life transporters, but it was only on either the atomic or molecular level.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If it was 'star trek safe' like they say then yes i would. obviously there is the occasional disaster but the 99.99% of them go off without a hitch.

in reality im not so sure. ive always wondered how they line them up perfectly with the ground, especially when the other object is moving. im surprised half of them dont beam in with their feet re-materialized into the floor.
  • supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd like to try it, but I'm afraid to be a Cyrus Ramsey...
    Or that digitized creature from Galaxy Quest.
    It turned inside out, and it exploded.