What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 6 Dev Blog #15

Comments

• kandorouskandorous Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    xenor002 wrote: »
    This is rare indeed....VERY rare.

Didn't we already have these uniforms though? I have some sort of TNG uniforms from the CE or something haha.

We've never had the season one version of the uniform.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thank you for the Klingon love!!!!

(though I still hope for the huge Klingon hair oneday)
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Very nice. I too was raised on TNG, so this takes me back a bit heh. I remember watching Encounter at Farpoint with my friend over the phone (hey, they didn't have this new fangled IMs or emails or internet or whatever back then!) and talking about the episode as it played out. Of course our parents weren't happy about the phone bill that month...:P

Anyway thanks for this. I'll be grabbing these as soon as I can.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I remember D-Stahl talking about a "possible event" in the Priority One-Podcast... but I never was expecting something like this. Wonderful. Thank you a lot! :)

btw: the intro is very nice written as TNG was also my first step to Star Trek (even if I felt in love with Star Trek because of Voyager - without Picard I would've never learned about this whole Universe).
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i noticed this when doffing this morning, very cool! you did a good job with the character resemblance. liked the dialog differences between kdf and fed versions :P free stuff is cool, now we got all the 24th century uniforms. the sash for federation is kinda odd, why wasn't that kdf exclusive wile the uniform was fed exclusive?
  • esuziesuzi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Very much enjoying the new clothes, however:
    The sash does not use the standard KDF sash shape, and as such clips through every shoulder pad for female KDF (and rather badly at that).
  • starwalker316starwalker316 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    TNG 25th Anniversary Promotion

Its nice that the Anniversary was put in today, but when are they going to deal with all the bugs that the Season 6 update created?
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My thoughts:

1) Nice blog. I was raised as a child watching TOS re-runs and movies (my Dad was/is a hardcore Trekkie), and I loved those, but then in my teanage years TNG came out and it was all the more awesome! Ah... Memories... Thanks for the nostalgia trip!

If only STO was more like the feelings expressed in the Blog, it would rock, and I'd play more. It used to have some (quite a bit, really) of that, but lost it along the way. If only it had more story and sentiment, and interesting pieces of exploration and adventure, and wasn't always about grinding the same faceroll battles a thousand-zillion times. Sigh. :rolleyes:

2) Yay! Free Promo! (Free is always great.)

3) Boo! to character-only unlocks! I have to agree with others... What happens when I want to make a new toon on Wednesday or next month, or next Season? No promos for them.

4) Does this promo "TNG Season 1 Uniform" unlock differ (and if so, how) from the pre-existing "The Next Generation Uniform" or "TNG Series" uniform available from the C-Store or Collector's Edition of the game? As I already have that unlocked from the CE.

5) I wouldn't feel like a true Trekkie if I didn't nitpick, but the pictures on the blog show a two-part uniform... Wasn't the Season 1 Uniform a single-piece "jumpsuit"? :P

6) Couldn't we already get a Baldric if we'd unlocked the Fed Klingon Playable Character (from the C-Store)? Is this the same, only now wearable on all Feds/KDFs?

7) Yay! for more KDF Hair Options!!! Those are so sadly lacking, that this really is, I think, the best part of the promo. Heh. Now when is the DS9 Worf Hair coming out?

8) Speaking of Worf, the Worf in the picture looks amazing (much better than "Old Worf" already in-game, maybe that one could get a touch-up?)! Well done!!

All-in-all good stuff. You'll get me to log in on all my toons this weekend (for the first time in months). Well done on that. :cool:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Very awesome, I hope the costumes become avilable to foundry authors.

Its too bad the unlocks aren't account wide. But free is still free.

And I figure these will be on sale in the Cstore later for folks who miss the promo or do want it as an account wide unlock?
  • mrsladewilsonmrsladewilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    4) Does this promo "TNG Season 1 Uniform" unlock differ (and if so, how) from the pre-existing "The Next Generation Uniform" or "TNG Series" uniform available from the C-Store or Collector's Edition of the game? As I already have that unlocked from the CE.

Yes, in much the same way that the uniforms for seasons 1 and 2 were different on the show itself. The collars are different, the pips are in a different place, etc. Go watch a couple episodes and you'll see.
    5) I wouldn't feel like a true Trekkie if I didn't nitpick, but the pictures on the blog show a two-part uniform... Wasn't the Season 1 Uniform a single-piece "jumpsuit"? :P

This is probably a tech issue; all the costume options are two-part, so far as I know/
    6) Couldn't we already get a Baldric if we'd unlocked the Fed Klingon Playable Character (from the C-Store)? Is this the same, only now wearable on all Feds/KDFs?

No, it's Worf's baldric from season 1. Different color, width, etc.

EDIT: different question. Is there a minimum level? My level 1 toon can't get the mission.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thats kinda what i'm getting at. I think they can do it if it looks nothing like the Worf we know, but this new guy is the spitting image of Season 1 Worf.

(Great job though Cryptic, his face is very accurate)

It's been said, multiple times that Cryptic can use Worf as he appeared on the hosws and that Worf on Qo'noS really was one employee's idea of what Dorn's Worf should look like.

The skintone is about right. Worf was pale and white in All Good Things. (You don't see it perfectly in the lighting but the action figure conveys this perfectly. They used a heavy white powder on Dorn in that episode.)

The sliders are off. And it isn't that they weren't allowed to make him look like Worf onscreen. It's that Worf on Qo'noS was honestly somebody's best effort at a Dorn-as-Worf likeness.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes, in much the same way that the uniforms for seasons 1 and 2 were different on the show itself. The collars are different, the pips are in a different place, etc. Go watch a couple episodes and you'll see.
    I already know they are different in the show between seasons. From the pix in the blog (I'm stuck at work, so haven't seen in-game yet), I couldn't quite tell how they differed from my memory of the existing in-game TNG uniforms. But good. They did make 'em different. That's groovy. Thanks! :)
    This is probably a tech issue; all the costume options are two-part, so far as I know/
    Sure, it's a tech issue that it "technically" is two pieces (top/bottom), but "appearance-wise" they can make it look like a single piece... The Off-duty robes, for example. The Enterprise uniform, Counselor Troi and Seven of Nine uniforms, etc. Those really are separate pieces, but appear to be a single jump-suit. Again, from the Blog pix, the new unis don't appear to be meant to be one-piece. Meh. I don't really care, I was only nitpicking as a joke anyway... :P

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    EDIT: different question. Is there a minimum level? My level 1 toon can't get the mission.

There must be...my level 10 character can't get it either. :(
    Why would this mission have a minimum level?

Edit: But my level 5 character sees the mission and can do it? There must be something else going on here...
  • gabytrekgabytrek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I LOVE that this uniform got added to the game. It's always been one of my favorite Trek uniforms (although I TOTALLY agree with why they got rid of them for the main cast), and I was secretly hoping it would show up in the C-Store someday. But I'll take a free one too I guess :rolleyes:

Anyway, as I was setting it up in the Tailor, I noticed something that had caught my eye a while ago but I never really bothered bringing up. The TNG series combadge is sized kind of weirdly.

Comparison

If you look at that comparison of Picard and one of my bridge officers (my character is female, so it wouldn't have been an accurate comparison) you can see that the in-game TNG series badge is sized a little too big. By my quick sizing in Paint Shop Pro it looks like the in-game badge should be about 2/3 the height it is now, and slightly less wide. It also looks like it should be centered a bit more on the jacket.

And finally... is this uniform going to be obtainable in some way after the TNG anniversary event ends? I'd be fine with it in the C-Store, or lockboxes, or something, just so that potential future alts and new Fleet members can still enjoy this great uniform.
    @GabyBee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    Or it could be that since the distinctive look of the character is achieved not by Dorn, but by all the plastic TRIBBLE, fake teeth, hair, etc etc glued on to Dorns head, that likeness rights don't apply. Don't think the plastic parts are entitled to residuals or image usage fees. :D

If STO's 25-TNG Worf spoke using Dorn's voice, obviously, my argument dies.

Probably also why Morn is now in game and looks so much like screen-morn. It was an inflatible suit and a rubber head.

But who knows?

This is it, exactly.

Actors in rubber prosthetics on Trek don't control their likeness unless specially arranged by contract. The default is that Paramount (and now CBS) owns the likeness of actors in facially obscuring makeup.

In Dorn's case, Worf was intended as an extra so he didn't get the contract clause when he first showed up. (Now, certain versions of Worf, he may have approvals on.)

I think the biggest exception to that may be Spiner and, honestly, his makeup may have concealed his aging some but in the case of someone like Worf, the makeup was so heavy that his stand-ins could walk around set and play Worf, facing the camera. In fact, that happened.

Most actors have standins with a similar looking ear or hairline for reshooting "over the shoulder" shots and stunt doubles but they flat out had other people play Worf on DS9 at least, outside of fight scenes and facing the camera.
    edited July 2012
    My thoughts:

1) Nice blog. I was raised as a child watching TOS re-runs and movies (my Dad was/is a hardcore Trekkie), and I loved those, but then in my teanage years TNG came out and it was all the more awesome! Ah... Memories... Thanks for the nostalgia trip!

If only STO was more like the feelings expressed in the Blog, it would rock, and I'd play more. It used to have some (quite a bit, really) of that, but lost it along the way. If only it had more story and sentiment, and interesting pieces of exploration and adventure, and wasn't always about grinding the same faceroll battles a thousand-zillion times. Sigh. :rolleyes:

2) Yay! Free Promo! (Free is always great.)

3) Boo! to character-only unlocks! I have to agree with others... What happens when I want to make a new toon on Wednesday or next month, or next Season? No promos for them.

7) Yay! for more KDF Hair Options!!! Those are so sadly lacking, that this really is, I think, the best part of the promo. Heh. Now when is the DS9 Worf Hair coming out?

8) Speaking of Worf, the Worf in the picture looks amazing (much better than "Old Worf" already in-game, maybe that one could get a touch-up?)! Well done!!

All-in-all good stuff. You'll get me to log in on all my toons this weekend (for the first time in months). Well done on that. :cool:

They may be restricted on DS9 hair Worf.

Actors who got big sometimes negotiated approvals on the likeness.

However, Dorn was not big (he was supposed to be a walk-on!) in S1 TNG and I'm guessing All Good Things Worf (which Cryptic was instructed to use as the model for Worf on Qo'noS) fall outside that.

I can't say for sure if all versions of Worf are owned by CBS but I've been told they do own the All Good Things and S1 looks outright.
    edited July 2012
    I do have one quibble, BTW.

S1 pants had department color piping over the V-shapes on the pant legs.

But free is free and I'll be buying a TNG bridge pack when it comes out, which will hopefully include this, skants, and Crusher's jacket combo.
    edited July 2012
    TNG style dress uniforms (the tunic style, in all 3 lengths!) would be nice in the TNG Bundle, which I think I heard a dev say will probably show up "within the year" on a podcast.
    @GabyBee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Q: Once each Captain completes the mission with Worf, can we then apply the costumes to our Bridge Officer's as well? Or just our Captain?

Also, is this the one piece, shiny spandex uniform from Season One?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    edited July 2012
    Bridge officers can wear it, and yes.
    @GabyBee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alan1701halan1701h Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    YES!!!! Roll on Tuesday!!!! Definitely looking forward to getting a hold of the Federation Klingon sash!!!! :D
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nice surprise.

Only 1347 more until you're equal with things done wrong *jk* (a bit).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The uniforms are nice just wish my KDF could use it and the new beard is epic! Great work and I like how it goes with the 25th aniversry theme going around in Star Trek in general.
  • cworth1cworth1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    why wasn't that kdf exclusive wile the uniform was fed exclusive?

That would be a bit TRIBBLE now would it not considering it was a fed character who wore it.

Though the sash should have been limited to use on the fed side to Klingon characters only.Seeing humans and non Klingon's running around with the sash on is very very wrong.
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2012
    Anyone starting to have a problem with login? I hit "Engage" and the login goes away and nothing happens haha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    First let me say that I think this was a great idea to celebrate the anniversary.

But as we already have the pants for this uniform, couldn't we finally have gotten the male/female Skants as bottoms? They were Season 1 uniforms as well.
  • ocean1ocean1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thanks, nice stuff. Happy Anniversary TNG. Has it really been that long.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Lead Character Artist Matt Highison reveals details about our TNG 25th Anniversary Promotion in this entry of the Season 6 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

This is a great feature and it's appreciated. Nice job, cryptic!
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • huntman21o14huntman21o14 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Guys it will be in the C-Store for people who miss the promo, just like EVERYTHING else except lock box ships.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thats kinda what i'm getting at. I think they can do it if it looks nothing like the Worf we know, but this new guy is the spitting image of Season 1 Worf.

No. its the spitting image of worf in the later seasons. forehead is wrong for the first season
    they can do it for an image, as it is a homage or fan art. They are not using the image for commercial gain, so Dorn does not lose out by it's use. Also it is not ingame per-se.

No. they need the likeness rights or they would risk getting in trouble. same goes for anyone else using it for any reason, whether there is monetary gain or not. but i'd say they have those rights or they wouldn't be doing this
    Or it could be that since the distinctive look of the character is achieved not by Dorn, but by all the plastic TRIBBLE, fake teeth, hair, etc etc glued on to Dorns head, that likeness rights don't apply. Don't think the plastic parts are entitled to residuals or image usage fees.

makeup has nothing whatsoever to do with likeness rights
    Probably also why Morn is now in game and looks so much like screen-morn. It was an inflatible suit and a rubber head

No. they got permission from cbs to use morn, or they wouldn't have done it