test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Modest Proposal RE: Fleet Contribution Caps

darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
What if the contribution cap were proportionate to the items needed and scaled to the size of a fleet?

darrenkitlor's suggested mathematics forumla:

( X * 10) / Y = Z
X = total numbers of item needed for Starbase Assignment completion
Y = total fleet members
Z = contribution cap for item peer fleet member; rounded up to nearest whole integer

Reset each day for larger projects, allowing anyone in a fleet to potential complete it in due time.

For example, if 10 Diplomat DOFFs are needed, a fleet of 100 would cap at 1 contribution. If the fleet had 50 people, it would cap at two.

I think this would meet the interests of all involved, from small fleets to large ones. This ensures everyone has a chance at contributing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by darren0kitlor on

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The current system is actually ok... It encourages recruitment.

I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that I can't manage how much people can contribute.

I run a somewhat small fleet, and I want everyone to feel that they are contributing on an equal footing.
    The current system allows all or nothing (for example, I pretty much payed for the space view on my own... very few can be without 200k dilitium).

But RIGHT NOW, I am happy with the fact that we at least have something that is designed to be done by a fleet. But yes... theres defnetly room for expansion.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    The current system is actually ok... It encourages recruitment.

I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that I can't manage how much people can contribute.

I run a somewhat small fleet, and I want everyone to feel that they are contributing on an equal footing.
    The current system allows all or nothing (for example, I pretty much payed for the space view on my own... very few can be without 200k dilitium).

But RIGHT NOW, I am happy with the fact that we at least have something that is designed to be done by a fleet. But yes... theres defnetly room for expansion.

Funnily enough, this formula is a zero-sum game, as it works well at any group size.

The current system seemed to punish fleet recruitment beyond small-to-moderate size.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So wha happens if one of the fleet members is away for a couple of weeks?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    So wha happens if one of the fleet members is away for a couple of weeks?
    It could reset the count on a daily basis, allowing a person to contribute potentially all the items over several days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mehenmehen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Except, in those "several days" two or more projects could have been completed by those members who *are* on, and who *do* contribute. Look, the special projects are pretty much there as a fleet credit grind, anyway, since the XP they grant the starbase actual is negligible at best. If I'm online and see a starbase needs something, I donate it if possible. With the long times required for projects, starbases don't need another time gate.
  • Options
    th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The donation issue was brought up by many people before this went live, but unfortunately the devs choose to ignore it.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    mehen wrote: »
    Except, in those "several days" two or more projects could have been completed by those members who *are* on, and who *do* contribute. Look, the special projects are pretty much there as a fleet credit grind, anyway, since the XP they grant the starbase actual is negligible at best. If I'm online and see a starbase needs something, I donate it if possible. With the long times required for projects, starbases don't need another time gate.

The issue is that fleet leaders can start and contribute all items, ensuring only a few get access to fleet credits.

This "gate" still allows for projects to complete but ensures a level playing field to prevent abuse of the system.
    The donation issue was brought up by many people before this went live, but unfortunately the devs choose to ignore it.
    Aye, that it was. No harm bringing it up again. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tanith1989tanith1989 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i dont see the issue are fleet credits going to be a form of currency i thought it was just used to rank the leader boards for the fleet??
    Ketan Merious
    Captain, U.S.S Transcendent
    Explorers Fleet, Senior Member
    We want an Odyssey variant give us it
  • Options
    soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Funnily enough, this formula is a zero-sum game, as it works well at any group size.

The current system seemed to punish fleet recruitment beyond small-to-moderate size.

Except that formula doesn't take into the effect of one important statistic - fleet activity. Smaller fleets tend to have decent numbers, of just people who login infrequently. Punishing people for keeping their friends who only play once a week in their fleet seems might stupid to me.
  • Options
    commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Why? Just set it up like you bank tabs. But instead of whole numbers, you use percentages.
    For example:
    Contribution per rank
    1. 0%
    2. 10%
    3. 20%
    4. 35%
    5. 50%
    6. 75%
    7. 100%

Or you could set it up
    1. 0%
    2. 25%
    3. 25%
    4. 25%
    5. 25%
    6. 50%
    7. 100%

Or you could set it up
    1. 100%
    2. 100%
    3. 100%
    4. 100%
    5. 100%
    6. 100%
    7. 100%

Basically, just give a slider in the permissions tab and let us determine how much you are allowed to contribute based on rank.
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    edited July 2012
    tanith1989 wrote: »
    i dont see the issue are fleet credits going to be a form of currency i thought it was just used to rank the leader boards for the fleet??

FC are part of what it takes to get one of the newfangled ships.
    edited July 2012
    I feel the special projects should be changed so the requirements are higher than they are right now like 10,000 Shield Generators instead of 1,000. The Fleet Marks on the special projects can be reduced since they seem to be THE LIMITING REQUIREMENT of the Fleet system. It is better to contribute Fleet Marks to projects that actual benefit the fleet rather than just used as a way to increase Fleet Credits.
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Umm, no. They mentioned that this is what the special projects are for. The special projects only have a 30 min timer. You can sink 600 marks every 30 min. Should be plenty enough. These were adjusted from the initial tribble build where there was a 20 hour timer. So they did take the feedback into account before going live.
    th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    latinumbar wrote: »
    Umm, no. They mentioned that this is what the special projects are for. The special projects only have a 30 min timer. You can sink 600 marks every 30 min. Should be plenty enough. These were adjusted from the initial tribble build where there was a 20 hour timer. So they did take the feedback into account before going live.

Do they only require marks, or an equal amount of other resources like the other projects as well? If not, then that excludes anyone who doesnt want to grind for marks and has other types of resources from contributing.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Do they only require marks, or an equal amount of other resources like the other projects as well? If not, then that excludes anyone who doesnt want to grind for marks and has other types of resources from contributing.

They all require 600 marks. But they require other resources which depends on the project selected. For instance, last night, we had that required 10 Bartenders. Today, one required mostly commodities.
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    edited July 2012

Yup.
    Duty officers, data samples, expertise, and rare traces. All part of a single special project on 30 min timer.
    avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No.

The only change they should make, in this regard, is to allow fleet leaders to set a cap if they wish. A hard cap would cause too many issues for smaller or less active fleets.

Also there are waaay to many people worrying about this. Season 6 has been live for a little over 48 hours. No fleet even has their Shipyard or Ground items stores online yet. The fleet system was stated as being something fleets will work on for years. You may not be the first in your fleet to get a fleet retrofit, but if you're stable and work together, you will get it.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    No.

The only change they should make, in this regard, is to allow fleet leaders to set a cap if they wish. A hard cap would cause too many issues for smaller or less active fleets.

Also there are waaay to many people worrying about this. Season 6 has been live for a little over 48 hours. No fleet even has their Shipyard or Ground items stores online yet. The fleet system was stated as being something fleets will work on for years. You may not be the first in your fleet to get a fleet retrofit, but if you're stable and work together, you will get it.

If you read the mathematics, a small fleet wouldn't run into problems with this scalable setup.

A two person fleet (which is the antithesis of the fleet system's entire design but I'll ignore that) could still have a single person complete a major assignment over a two day period thanks to the reset.

The scalable cap would be >/= 50% of the contributions per day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]