test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Doff XP to Fleetmarks

Comments

• x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It could be 1:100, but more like the Contraband turn in.

Where you can only run it every 4 to 6 hours per category. So you can earn a total of 11FM every 4 to 6 hours (assuming you have all 11 at full rank).

You can have a stockpile of all the Contraband you want, but you're not handing over more than 5 at a time for that Dilithium.
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • queue38queue38 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If I remember right the first person to have all 11 categories maxed out took 102 days.

If you figure they already had Diplomacy maxed they did 1,500,000 (10 * 150,000) CXP in 102 days or a little under 15k per day.

I don't know how many hours they played a day so let's just say 5.

I don't know how many marks you can get in 5 hours let's say 300 (without event). so 15,000/300 or 50/1.

My guess is they won't go off the fastest person but I think it will be 100 CXP to 1 Mark with a very small chance to critical for 50 CXP to 1 Mark (less than 10%)

I found the old post about it and updated the numbers
    I am @allenlabarge in game :D
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    queue38 wrote: »
    If I remember right the first person to have all 11 categories maxed out took 102 days.

If you figure they already had Diplomacy maxed they did 1,500,000 (10 * 150,000) CXP in 102 days or a little under 15k per day.

I don't know how many hours they played a day so let's just say 5.

I don't know how many marks you can get in 5 hours let's say 300 (without event). so 15,000/300 or 50/1.

My guess is they won't go off the fastest person but I think it will be 100 CXP to 1 Mark with a very small chance to critical for 50 CXP to 1 Mark (less than 10%)

I found the old post about it and updated the numbers

Although 100:1 CXP:FM does sound reasonable, I think that many people that regularly play the DOFF system have at least one character at max. So I think Cryptic would be hesitant for this because of the initial "sticker shock" value. It would literally be a massive amount of FMs infused into the system all at once.

On the alternate side, those FMs would be used up quite rapidly, if you are at Tier 2 that 3,300 is really only 5.5 of the half hour grinders, 11 Projects 1 - (5500 specific XP). Most I suspect would be used on the 600 FM grinders to obtain Fleet Credits. So they would evaporate quickly.

How long would it take to recoup that 30,000 (330,000 CXP)? By your estimates for the fastest recorded DOFFer, that would be 22 days. In 22 days, playing four hours a day, doing both ground missions an hour and getting 20 FMs on average I could make 3,520 FMs. That would only be 220 more FMs for actively playing the game at the 100:1 ratio. For the 150:1 ratio it would be 1,320 more FMS, and for 200:1 it would be 2,420 more FMs from active playing.

That is why I think 200:1 - 300:1 are THE best bet. That would mean the fastest CXP grinders out there would earn FMs at a ratio of 0.469:1 to 0.313:1 compared to the 4 hour active player. You start getting higher than 300:1, the less useful it will be deemed by players and the less it integrates and compliments the DOFF system. Below 200:1 and you may end up with fleets of heavy DOFFers with a huge surplus of FMs.
  • darcanisdarcanis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As someone with a very small fleet of which I seem to be the only one contributing FM (the rest hate the stf missions and prefer foundry) I really hate to see a crappy exchange with projects that require between 180 & 800 FM. The only thing I get to do anymore is play the three STF that I can stand that award marks and I am getting really sick of them now. :mad:

I'd rather focus on creating missions in Foundry and playing others missions. I like story not 3 (that I like) rinse and repeat fleet missions. Maybe add a FM donate to foundry missions along with the dil donate so people can choose which to donate. Then maybe I could still make FM while creating content.

Better yet add FM to mission rewards! An amount that makes it worth it for the time spent.

Fed Starbase Incursion - 15 min lets say - I get between 25 and 40 FM

So a 30 min mission should reward at least 25 FM

Apply this to Foundry content and you will see a huge increase in Foundry mission usage and content creation.

Also fleets are about community and the foundry is about community so the two just seem to be a good match as donate and reward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    darcanis wrote: »
    Apply this to Foundry content and you will see a huge increase in Foundry mission usage and content creation.

They don't want people to be able to earn Fleet Marks quickly (hence the Nerf to Nakura, the fact this contact isn't in the game yet (and the likely pre-nerf to their exchange rate), and the reason the tribble rewards aren't available yet, all of which provide more ways to get Marks). What they want is as many people as possible to be slow producing those so they don't hit the end of starbases and they can MINE us like a resource rather than treating us like actual customers.
    edited July 2012
    switchngc wrote: »
    They don't want people to be able to earn Fleet Marks quickly (hence the Nerf to Nakura, the fact this contact isn't in the game yet (and the likely pre-nerf to their exchange rate), and the reason the tribble rewards aren't available yet, all of which provide more ways to get Marks). What they want is as many people as possible to be slow producing those so they don't hit the end of starbases and they can MINE us like a resource rather than treating us like actual customers.

Sadly sounds about right, but will result in loss of customers over long term. Done right you can still profit massively without annoying your base or spending too much money. I say focus on story and missions over mind numbing grind. There are several excellent missions and story lines in the foundry that could be added to main listing as additional content and then reward the creator in some worthwhile way, either in game currency that is useful or out of game perks like complete bluray seasons and other trek paraphernalia. Kinda like "You won!! Choose from this list of rewards!" "I'll take original series on bluray please!" or "I'll take the Deluxe Sovereign Model kit please!" "The Uniform my character wears!" etc...

All those things cost way less than paying a team to make content and is a never ending supply of new quality content.

Still gonna make tons off lock boxes, $20 ships, and other stuff. Add a offline store selling trek merchandise! Hell we all would prob use it at some point. I"D love to buy my in game uniform to wear!!

Better options for customers than the grab and squeeze it dry of cash till no one plays anymore method of business.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    darcanis wrote: »
    Better options for customers than the grab and squeeze it dry of cash till no one plays anymore method of business.

Better options, absolutely! But not the PWE business model. Their model is to drain us dry as quickly as possible and move on to the next set of suckers that try STO, then repeat the process until STO finally dies and No one will ever trust another Star Trek themed online game again. (Honestly surprised CBS allows this kind of debasing of the Star Trek franchise, but I guess they just look at the $$$ coming in and don't see what the playerbase thinks about it)
    edited July 2012
    Better options, absolutely! But not the PWE business model. Their model is to drain us dry as quickly as possible and move on to the next set of suckers that try STO, then repeat the process until STO finally dies and No one will ever trust another Star Trek themed online game again. (Honestly surprised CBS allows this kind of debasing of the Star Trek franchise, but I guess they just look at the $$$ coming in and don't see what the playerbase thinks about it)

Also sadly true... I think if Roddenberry were still alive he would want a more community based approach, focused on the experience not the money grab and mindless grind. He saw a future where we all worked together to solve problems and create great things. Today with the technology we have we could do that here, yet never will... :(

Imagine the graphics and story if this were a partially open source project... (all financial and membership portions still proprietary and only engine and foundry open to users)

Hell even the ability to mod things like in ******** and every other mmo it seems. ******** auction house sucked so someone made a better one. The maps sucked so someone made better mapping system, and so on...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • realuniqueonerealuniqueone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If only us small fleets could get past tier 0 to see these things...

The whole system is completely unfair.
    >>> UniqueOne - Providing you with easy PVP kills since Feb 2012 <<<
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The primary delay in getting these turned on was doing some research to determine what the proper reward level would be. We want to make the CXP turn-ins worthwhile, while also not making them the primary means of gaining Fleet Marks (we still would like you to participate in the content designed for this purpose).

We believe we've finally settled on a balanced solution, and these assignments should be hooked up and activated in the very near future.

can you give us a ballpark what we can expect?

i know many many many of the more serious DOffer's are sitting at 150k all maxed out just waiting for *something*.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    Hopefully not 1000 to 1...
    100 to 1 would be ok though...

I understand the reasoning of not wanting it to be the main source of getting marks, but please don't make us do a handful of STF over and over until we see them in our dreams and start having flashbacks while driving to work!!! There are other things we would like to do in game than grind STF missions!

Don't get me wrong... Love the game when I can play real missions and storylines. Just try rewarding us for more than just STF!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I really hope this is coming with the next patch. Grinding Fleet Marks is a pain for really small fleets.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    I have another update on these Fleet Report Assignments...

The primary delay in getting these rolled out was ensuring the proper reward scheme was in place to make them feel comparably rewarding to earning Fleet Marks by other means. After compiling some data we gathered over the past week, we've come to a comfortable solution.

The conversion rate that will go live when these Assignments become available will be:

10,000 CXP from a single Commendation Category = 75 Fleet Marks (or 100 on a Crit Success)

An assignment from each Commendation Category is available at all times, but each has an 8 hour duration. Meaning you can run Diplomacy and Military Fleet Reports at the same time, e.g., but not two Diplomacy Fleet Reports until the first 8 hour duration has been completed.

The contacts that will allow you to run these assignments will be made available on Fleet Starbases in a patch that will roll out either next week or the week after. I'm sorry I don't have a more definite timeline on that for you to plan for.

Also related to Duty Officers and upcoming Starbase changes, a few Duty Officer Exchange stores should also be going live around the same time as the above Fleet Report Assignments, allowing players that have been earning Fleet Merit to purchase new Duty Officers that are not available anywhere else. These new Duty Officers will not have the same Species, Trait or Specializations as those offered at Starfleet Academy and Qo'nos Academy, allowing players another alternative to seek out further variety for their rosters. I'll bring you more info on Unlocks and Pricing once they are finalized.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    10,000 = 75 seems a very small number to me. 10,000 should be more like 10k to 1k fleet marks with a 10:1 ratio.

It is a bit of a shame fleet mark earnings are so small considering the time u put in the missions for em.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012

The primary delay in getting these rolled out was ensuring the proper reward scheme was in place to make them feel comparably rewarding to earning Fleet Marks by other means. After compiling some data we gathered over the past week, we've come to a comfortable solution.

The conversion rate that will go live when these Assignments become available will be:

10,000 CXP from a single Commendation Category = 75 Fleet Marks (or 100 on a Crit Success)

An assignment from each Commendation Category is available at all times, but each has an 8 hour duration. Meaning you can run Diplomacy and Military Fleet Reports at the same time, e.g., but not two Diplomacy Fleet Reports until the first 8 hour duration has been completed.

The contacts that will allow you to run these assignments will be made available on Fleet Starbases in a patch that will roll out either next week or the week after. I'm sorry I don't have a more definite timeline on that for you to plan for.

Also related to Duty Officers and upcoming Starbase changes, a few Duty Officer Exchange stores should also be going live around the same time as the above Fleet Report Assignments, allowing players that have been earning Fleet Merit to purchase new Duty Officers that are not available anywhere else. These new Duty Officers will not have the same Species, Trait or Specializations as those offered at Starfleet Academy and Qo'nos Academy, allowing players another alternative to seek out further variety for their rosters. I'll bring you more info on Unlocks and Pricing once they are finalized.

Wow that is a much better conversion than I anticipated. I honestly expected somewhere between 1:200 to 1:500. This is really good news. Is it possible that these assignments could roll out on our Tactical, engineering, and science contacts to give them more usage?
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I'm guessing the CXP gets deducted from the various Commendation categories, but how far can you go? Just back down to the Tier 4 CXP level, or can you keep deducting CXP all the way back down to zero?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
    edited July 2012
    I'm guessing the CXP gets deducted from the various Commendation categories, but how far can you go? Just back down to the Tier 4 CXP level, or can you keep deducting CXP all the way back down to zero?

Somewhere before I think they said down to 120k CXP so that means if you are capped you have 30k to work with.
  • alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I gotta gree the conversion rate seems too low I agree with the 10:1 ratio instead of the 100:1 on crit if you're luky ratio.
    2qTOAB3.gif
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for the update :)

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I believe you can go all the way down to 100k. The assignment will probably check to see if your CXP is equal to or greater than 110k before you can start it.
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2012

This sounds great. I can make use of this. If the contact is available to me, of course. (Hopefully the NPC isn't gated behind starbase tiers and nasty projects...)
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Nice. I had been saying I felt like 100 CXP: 1 Mark was a good trade. Looks like I called it.
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2012
    Yeah it seems alright. Those complaining that it's low have no idea how easy it is to get 10K. There are missions that give 1.2K non crit especially in medical and the ones that take the gamma quadrant supplies. You just scare up the supplies and turn them around for XP... Then you can the 3 day ones and what not.

I bet there will be some that can get 75 fleet marks every two or three days, though I wont work that hard at it.
    edited July 2012
    Should be in the next patch after that.

7-18-2012
    We believe we've finally settled on a balanced solution, and these assignments should be hooked up and activated in the very near future.

7-27-2012

So, gonna be over a month from the first "next patch" or is it still "soon"?
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    7-18-2012

7-27-2012

So, gonna be over a month from the first "next patch" or is it still "soon"?
    Saying 'should be' or anything related to 'soon' does not mean things are set in stone... holding them to dates like you're doing is pointless.

Anyway, this is very good :) 10,000 is fairly easy to get, especially when you get as many assignments as you can.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    Well, to be clear, in the process of hooking them up and making my first statement, we noticed that the rewards were way out of whack (placeholder values of 300k CXP = 20 Marks). This is where we decided to gather data on CXP acquisition rates, and make the eventual changes that have brought us to where we are today.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, to be clear, in the process of hooking them up and making my first statement, we noticed that the rewards were way out of whack (placeholder values of 300k CXP = 20 Marks). This is where we decided to gather data on CXP acquisition rates, and make the eventual changes that have brought us to where we are today.

How is it even possible to earn 300k CXP in a single category? I could understand if it is a typo and actually 30k, but 20 Marks for 30k CXP sucks.
  • dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    starkaos wrote: »
    I could understand if it is a typo and actually 30k, but 20 Marks for 30k CXP sucks.

You may want to read the entire thread before commenting, and not just the last post.

You'll be able to get 225/300 Marks for your 30k CXP.

• rooster75rooster75 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dma1986 wrote: »
    You may want to read the entire thread before commenting, and not just the last post.

This is pretty typical behavior on the STO forums from what I've observed. :D
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    rooster75 wrote: »
    This is pretty typical behavior on the STO forums from what I've observed. :D

But inapplicable in this case, since starkaos was only commenting on the absurd placeholder conversion ratio.