test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Ship Idea: Wells Class

2»

Comments

• trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    But let's face it: the Wells Class either will come in-game, or it will not, no matter how we discuss it.

If it does, people who wanted the class will be happy. Those of you who are clinging to logic and reason of why it shouldn't (something that has time and time again been overruled by emotion and spirit in Star Trek), you won't be happy, no matter what.

If it doesn't... well, more or less the opposite of the above.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    I believe they'd only get involved if a Wells Class from the future got involved 400 years in it's past (meaning STO's present). If engineers built a model/replica/whatever of the Wells Class with current tech, that acted under current tech and not future anything... they could probably let it slid.

Plus, Janeway saw the ship. And she tends to break the rules half the time... maybe she told engineers of the class at one point, and they built a version of it.

If she broke the rules all they need to do is go back and change things so she doesn't even remember any of it. The ship designs are four centuries advanced...where are the designs going to magically come from but from four centuries in the future?

It has been a long time I admit since I have seen the last episode of tng, but where did it say picard's future was a alternate reality? It could very well be the future minus the temporal anomaly he fixed, like someone stated before stuff that was different in the future is here and now in sto, so picards future could very well be sto's present and not some alternate reality.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • hakaishinlegionhakaishinlegion Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it's a video game, not everything has to make sense, even in the IP's capabilities. especially since as a video game, it's soft canon at best

plus trying to apply real life events to a fictional world, and furthermore, apply that same logic to a video game based on that fiction... THAT doesn't make sense

Even a fantasy world of dragons and unicorns still has to create enough continuity to make it seem believable given the rules of that world.

By your definition, I should be permitted to pull Vegeta from Dragonball Z, blow him up to the size of a a planet, and fly around the universe because it's a video game.

By all rights and purposes, even within the realm of the game, that is ridiculous.

By all rights and purposes, taking technology from 400 years in the future... nearly half an entire millenia... and expecting the prior to be able to reconstruct it, even for appearance-sake and BASIC functionality is asinine.

But you're set in your ways. You're confronted with logic and your best argument is, "But it's a game, logic doesn't apply".

With that sentiment, there is no possible debate, there is no possible way you can be taken seriously either.

That said, I'll just enjoy laughing at the idea, since by your own words there is no reason to apply common sense at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Yes, I fly a Galaxy-X... and yes, I just 1-shotted you with it." -- Alcione@Hakaishin
  • sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I believe they'd only get involved if a Wells Class from the future got involved 400 years in it's past (meaning STO's present). If engineers built a model/replica/whatever of the Wells Class with current tech, that acted under current tech and not future anything... they could probably let it slid.

The design itself is a future "something" they're not going to let it slide. And the Temporal Agents of today's Federation aren't going to allow it to be built, as building a replica of the future Wells-Class could negatively effect the future design of said by prompting them to build a different design, lest they be associated with a ship from the 2400's. A Temporal Agent isn't going to let that happen. Period. Cryptic has enough talent to create their designs, and just because Al Rivera wants it in game doesn't mean it will ever be. Not even close. There are a whole host of other people who have to agree, and I just don't see this happening.
    it's a video game, not everything has to make sense, even in the IP's capabilities. especially since as a video game, it's soft canon at best

plus trying to apply real life events to a fictional world, and furthermore, apply that same logic to a video game based on that fiction... THAT doesn't make sense

In that case let's let everyone fly a Borg Cube with Transwarp to anywhere and an all Romulan Crew. After all there's no point in trying to apply logic to this :P
    edited July 2012
    Even a fantasy world of dragons and unicorns still has to create enough continuity to make it seem believable given the rules of that world.

By your definition, I should be permitted to pull Vegeta from Dragonball Z, blow him up to the size of a a planet, and fly around the universe because it's a video game.

By all rights and purposes, even within the realm of the game, that is ridiculous.

By all rights and purposes, taking technology from 400 years in the future... nearly half an entire millenia... and expecting the prior to be able to reconstruct it, even for appearance-sake and BASIC functionality is asinine.

But you're set in your ways. You're confronted with logic and your best argument is, "But it's a game, logic doesn't apply".

With that sentiment, there is no possible debate, there is no possible way you can be taken seriously either.

That said, I'll just enjoy laughing at the idea, since by your own words there is no reason to apply common sense at all.
    Continuity? I usually see that as just a boundary that can be pushed ;)

I use logic and reasoning and stuff like that, but I never think along the same lines as most people. My brain's too creative to have rules and limits constrain it

I guess it comes from being an author. Inside the canon work (including my own), everything makes sense. But outside of it (like STO), it's very fun to dream and see what can be. I enjoy STO that way :D
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
    edited July 2012
    Continuity? I usually see that as just a boundary that can be pushed ;)

I use logic and reasoning and stuff like that, but I never think along the same lines as most people. My brain's too creative to have rules and limits constrain it

I guess it comes from being an author. Inside the canon work (including my own), everything makes sense. But outside of it (like STO), it's very fun to dream and see what can be. I enjoy STO that way :D

You're a poor author if you cannot understand one of the most basic fundamentals of story development (I too am one).

Every world has boundaries. Limitations. Mortality. These are the things that make it exciting to explore. These are what make you want to actually turn the page and find out what happens.

A great story does not read as the following: "One day long ago, dinosaurs roamed the Earth... then along came the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-Y, which was actually a Romulan Warbird from the 91st Century, and blew up Earth with all the dinosaurs. Two months later, the dinosaurs found out they were immortal... after they died... and developed the technology to defeat the Romulan Enterprise from the 91st Century by suddenly becoming the Q and wishing them away. This is how the Q race was born."

Admittedly this is very amusing, but I'm sorry. I can poke a few things wrong with it.

However... if that's your idea of a fantastic story arc and should be further developed into the world of Star Trek, by all means... keep hoping for the Wells.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Yes, I fly a Galaxy-X... and yes, I just 1-shotted you with it." -- Alcione@Hakaishin
    edited July 2012
    You're a poor author if you cannot understand one of the most basic fundamentals of story development (I too am one).

Every world has boundaries. Limitations. Mortality. These are the things that make it exciting to explore. These are what make you want to actually turn the page and find out what happens.

A great story does not read as the following: "One day long ago, dinosaurs roamed the Earth... then along came the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-Y, which was actually a Romulan Warbird from the 91st Century, and blew up Earth with all the dinosaurs. Two months later, the dinosaurs found out they were immortal... after they died... and developed the technology to defeat the Romulan Enterprise from the 91st Century by suddenly becoming the Q and wishing them away. This is how the Q race was born."

Admittedly this is very amusing, but I'm sorry. I can poke a few things wrong with it.

However... if that's your idea of a fantastic story arc and should be further developed into the world of Star Trek, by all means... keep hoping for the Wells.
    ... didn't I just say in the story's canon (including MY OWN), everything makes sense? That means there's continuity in my story (I made sure to keep that in mind)

I merely meant OUTSIDE of the story's canon (like STO), is where I like to let my imagination roam free.

I know full well that a story needs continuity (I wouldn't have gotten published otherwise)
    Was named Trek17.

edited July 2012
    ... didn't I just say in the story's canon (including MY OWN), everything makes sense? That means there's continuity in my story (I made sure to keep that in mind)

I merely meant OUTSIDE of the story's canon (like STO), is where I like to let my imagination roam free.

I know full well that a story needs continuity (I wouldn't have gotten published otherwise)

Hm... so anything that isn't YOUR story should be torn apart and all means of its own continuity should be abolished.

As an author you sure have poor respect for the work of others.

Nevertheless, I really don't care if you put the BEST engineer the 17th century Earth had known in front of the Gerald R Ford Super Carrier. The idea he could even understand how something so massive (and made of a metal that he'd never even heard of before and cannot even find, far less reproduce) enough to even put together a replica is stupid.

Whether STO is canon or not is irrelevant. The world has continuity. Rules exist within its world that make up its foundation. It is also a video game that must consider its own story, and its own gameplay balance.

Bring about the Wells, a Federation ship of 400 year advancement, and the Klingon faction would demand something similar. Since the idea of simply imitating appearance (which by engineering you cannot do, because it must also be functional within that... I apologize you do not understand what it means to develop and engineer technology...) does not mean that you can make that design functional and usable.

Then you have to consider, "Why in bloody hell would Starfleet waste time and resources just to imitate the appearance of some other ship, without any inkling on whether it is functional or not for today's environment? Aesthetics are the least important idea anyone should consider when you take to account that the Federation is at war with the Klingons, True Way, Romulans, Borg, Tholians, etc etc all at the same time."

Your own story is where your imagination expands limits, because you're the one who develops those limits (if any) to begin with.

Expecting to do that to someone else's is both rude and ridiculous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    Hm... so anything that isn't YOUR story should be torn apart and all means of its own continuity should be abolished.

As an author you sure have poor respect for the work of others.

Nevertheless, I really don't care if you put the BEST engineer the 17th century Earth had known in front of the Gerald R Ford Super Carrier. The idea he could even understand how something so massive (and made of a metal that he'd never even heard of before and cannot even find, far less reproduce) enough to even put together a replica is stupid.

Whether STO is canon or not is irrelevant. The world has continuity. Rules exist within its world that make up its foundation. It is also a video game that must consider its own story, and its own gameplay balance.

Bring about the Wells, a Federation ship of 400 year advancement, and the Klingon faction would demand something similar. Since the idea of simply imitating appearance (which by engineering you cannot do, because it must also be functional within that... I apologize you do not understand what it means to develop and engineer technology...) does not mean that you can make that design functional and usable.

Then you have to consider, "Why in bloody hell would Starfleet waste time and resources just to imitate the appearance of some other ship, without any inkling on whether it is functional or not for today's environment? Aesthetics are the least important idea anyone should consider when you take to account that the Federation is at war with the Klingons, True Way, Romulans, Borg, Tholians, etc etc all at the same time."

Your own story is where your imagination expands limits, because you're the one who develops those limits (if any) to begin with.

Expecting to do that to someone else's is both rude and ridiculous.
    Where did I say I wanted to tear down continuity just because I imagine it? :confused: I think you've got me all wrong.

I was arguing on how the Wells Class could be included, where it to be introduced. Did you actually read me saying I wanted the Wells Class myself? Because I don't

I like to imagine outside the canon in my own mind, in my own rules. I don't want the game fitted to me and me only... I know that's not possible, even if I wanted that. It's the same with STO and other works.

I enjoy STO. I allow myself to imagine what could be. I politely ask for some of those imaginations after careful thought. If it comes, great, and it if doesn't... I move on.

But then again, my own words probably painted the wrong picture about me. I'm not that good at describing really... so I apologize.

Sorry I caused that this incident.
    Was named Trek17.

edited July 2012
    Not good at description, yet you're a published author... ******n, our novel industry must be going to hell after all... though to be expected with the advent of the internet in its infinite glory.

I still disagree. But I've stated and restated my reasons why. I also already stated the difference between your story and someone else's. I've even instructed on the need of general continuity within even the most ridiculous story.

I really don't think there's anything more I could possibly say to help in your education.

That said, enjoy your afternoon... I honestly believe reason and logic escapes you, given you've already said, quite literally, they don't matter at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    Not good at description, yet you're a published author... ******n, our novel industry must be going to hell after all... though to be expected with the advent of the internet in its infinite glory.

I still disagree. But I've stated and restated my reasons why. I also already stated the difference between your story and someone else's. I've even instructed on the need of general continuity within even the most ridiculous story.

I really don't think there's anything more I could possibly say to help in your education.

That said, enjoy your afternoon... I honestly believe reason and logic escapes you, given you've already said, quite literally, they don't matter at all.
    *sigh* worded it wrong, again...

Yes, I'm good at descriptions... when I have the time to think about it. It's the only way I've gotten published in the first place.

But when I need a quick reply like this, I mess up badly. And it doesn't help that I'm not good with people in general. Plus I'm not good with written tones... the list goes on.

So I think we should just drop the subject... though my last thought before that happens is I do have reason and logic (I just don't use it in the standard ways).
    Was named Trek17.

• mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Note to trek21: We appear to be able to do links in our sigs now. ;)
  • carbongripcarbongrip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ok what if at the very least we get this ship as an older version like the USS Relativity-C instead of the Relativity-G. Then you could say that a not time one existed in the 25th century.:rolleyes:
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Between 2264 and 2378, we went through... Enterprise (no bloody A, B, C, D or E), Enterprise-A, Enterprise-B, Enterprise-C, Enterprise-D, Enterprise-E.

In 114 years, we went through 6 different Enterprise's. And your suggestion, is that within FOUR HUNDRED years, only go through 5 Relativity's ? The point remains, even IF the original USS Relativity (no bloody A, B etc) originated in the 25th Century, it would look NOTHING like the 29th Century counterpart.

How much does the current-day Enterprise, look like the first US version? And that's just a time difference of 150 years.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited July 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    Between 2264 and 2378, we went through... Enterprise (no bloody A, B, C, D or E), Enterprise-A, Enterprise-B, Enterprise-C, Enterprise-D, Enterprise-E.

In 114 years, we went through 6 different Enterprise's. And your suggestion, is that within FOUR HUNDRED years, only go through 5 Relativity's ? The point remains, even IF the original USS Relativity (no bloody A, B etc) originated in the 25th Century, it would look NOTHING like the 29th Century counterpart.

How much does the current-day Enterprise, look like the first US Navy version? And that's just a time difference of 150 years.

Indeed, but I do think the idea has a bit more merit than just copying the Wells-Class. Maybe an experimental class of timeship or some such? I'd be amazed if the Federation isn't at least working on an emergency response ship in light of the latest borg attempt to take down the Federation through use of time travel. It'd obviously look way different from the Well's Class, but it'd at least be a more reasonable than just adding the Wells-Class.
  • galaxy118galaxy118 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    starkaos wrote: »
    We have the Galaxy X, Cardassian, and Jem'Hadar so it makes just as much sense as having a ship based on designs from the 29th Century. Ferengi D'Kora makes sense since they would sell anything to anyone. Anyone asking for the Wells Class is asking for the look of the ship not a complete replica. Some of us want more Fed ships not based on the old saucer and nacelle design. At least it is better than asking for the Enterprise-J.

Yeah I agree. It's a cool ship to look at and it doesn't have to be anything other than an interesting looking rare ship to fly. You could probably 'de-claw' it if it was that troublesome, although I'm betting if it was involved somehow it wouldn't be the mother of all badass ships. An unbalanced feature like that would be bound to cause controversy. And besides the last time I looked the star trek I watched didn't name species 8472 and its starfleet didn't have a penchant for leather outfits. It is a game guys. Relax.
    edited July 2012
    Indeed, but I do think the idea has a bit more merit than just copying the Wells-Class. Maybe an experimental class of timeship or some such? I'd be amazed if the Federation isn't at least working on an emergency response ship in light of the latest borg attempt to take down the Federation through use of time travel. It'd obviously look way different from the Well's Class, but it'd at least be a more reasonable than just adding the Wells-Class.

Wells class aside, don't you think if they did this...if they made a time ship that something like that would be under very tight wraps? I mean they aren't gonna come out to the general and say *Hey look at use we have a time ship!*. I mean its been over two hundred years and the maneuver Kirk used in The Voyage Home was still kept under wraps.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't understand people's need justify this? Its a nice model and best of all its NOT a saucer and nacelle design, if anything its more Defiant in layout.

Before anyone starts up with the ridiculous excuse that its all about warp bubble design might I point at every other faction's ships? None are saucer and nacelle. "But the saucer and nacelle is just more efficient!" I hear you say.. is it? If so someone else would've used it. The saucer and nacelle was just a way to get away from the more accepted spaceship shapes.

If the Wells comes it'll probably be a Sci ship... but maybe it could be a time travelling escort *crosses fingers*!

More importantly, where's my NSEA Protector? And can we get maybe an X-304 too? Make it a skin for the Akira even! There's lots of alternate universes anyway right? And about those P90s for facing Borg Threats....
  • carbongripcarbongrip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That's a great idea. It should be a research science vessel using the existing RSV ship model. Because that fits in 2409.

Thanks for keeping an open mind :D
    edited July 2012
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Wells class aside, don't you think if they did this...if they made a time ship that something like that would be under very tight wraps? I mean they aren't gonna come out to the general and say *Hey look at use we have a time ship!*. I mean its been over two hundred years and the maneuver Kirk used in The Voyage Home was still kept under wraps.

Probably. More than likley it would have to be a one-off ship thing used only in maybe a new content arc?
  • skids99skids99 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    well it is in the tribble foundry not sure about holodeck i hope they bring it to the store
  • thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I guess that makes the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy a worthless book then...
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Neither does the Galaxy-X, because it's from a different reality... yet it's in-game. So that's not really valid here

At least that one was possible to be built under similar circumstances.
    The circumstances that would make it possible to build the Wells class will not appear for a few centuries.
    Let's also not forget CBS nuked the Enterprise-J idea because the ship does not fit into the era.
    Guess what they'll say about a ship even further into the future.
    edited August 2012
    All of this different reality stuff and the Gal-X...That different reality was of the future...a future that is now in STO. Just because it is a different reality doesn't negate the fact that the Gal-X could and was developed in the STO reality.

Asking for a Wells class in game now is like me asking for a Odyssey class right here and now in real life.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    lianthelia wrote: »
    All of this different reality stuff and the Gal-X...That different reality was of the future...a future that is now in STO. Just because it is a different reality doesn't negate the fact that the Gal-X could and was developed in the STO reality.

Asking for a Wells class in game now is like me asking for a Odyssey class right here and now in real life.

Indeed, the argument that the Galaxy X should be invalid because it's an alternate future timeline is ridiculous. Keep in mind that All Good Things from STO's perspective would've taken place 14 years ago. And other things from that timeline did in fact come to pass, such as Worf going back to the Klingon Empire. They just happened differently. It's well within the technical capabilities of the Federation to implement.

I am vehemently against the Wells class appearing in game. And mortified that it's been spotted.

Outside of the Foundry or a mission where one makes an appearance from the future to stop some other ship's temporal incursion, or perhaps to deal with Iconian interference in the timeline.

But as a player ship? No way in hell. It would be impossibly broken. Chroniton Torpedoes that ignore shields, temporal shields, or worse phasing cloak. Just no.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This thread was raised from the dead (after no posts for 30 days or more) and it had to be put down.
    Please remember to check the dates of threads; and if you find an old thread raised from the dead which violates the [URL=" http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?&a=51"]PWE Community Rules and Policies[/URL] just report it and avoid posting in it.

Note that you're more than welcome to start a new thread on the topic (unless there is an existing thread on the topic that has received a post within the last 30 days, in which case you can just continue to post in that thread)! :)
    Live Long and Prosper,
    Bluegeek
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.