test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Ship Idea: Wells Class

carbongripcarbongrip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Federation Discussion
Hey everyone seen a cool ship for the game! The Wells Class from star trek voyager from the future. So I figured I would throw it out there and see what others think of it and ideas for builds it could have.

For picture and info search for it on memory alpha website.
Post edited by carbongrip on

Comments

• Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's always best to provide a link: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Wells_class

Else you're telling the folks who would be providing such a feature to do their own research. May wind up with a rowboat floating through space. ;)
  • Options
    hakaishinlegionhakaishinlegion Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Ship was manufactured in the 29th century... 400 years from the current timeline of the game...

Introducing it to the game now would sense how again?

A ship 400 years in the future would be like taking the Enterprise-F in its infinite sophistication, its ability to single-handedly pulverize entire solar systems without too much trouble at all, and introducing it to today's war-mongering USA military.

Ridiculous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Yes, I fly a Galaxy-X... and yes, I just 1-shotted you with it." -- Alcione@Hakaishin
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If it is introduced ingame, then I think it should be introduced as the 1000 day vet reward. That should keep it rarer than lockbox ships since very few people would actually unlock it. Got just over 3 months to go for that.
  • Options
    sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No. It was a bad idea when Al suggested it the other day in the Priority One interview, it is a bad idea here today, and it will still be a bad idea tomorrow and each day thereafter. Any instance of a Wells class appearing in 2409 would be immediately eradicated from the timeline by one of what is sure to be dozens of other Federation timeships from that same period. And even if by some absurd literary device they did manage to shoehorn it in, the idea that any captain and crew in our era could actually use the thing properly is ludicrous, it would be like trying to teach a chimp to fly a fighter jet.

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    No. It was a bad idea when Al suggested it the other day in the Priority One interview, it is a bad idea here today, and it will still be a bad idea tomorrow and each day thereafter. Any instance of a Wells class appearing in 2409 would be immediately eradicated from the timeline by one of what is sure to be dozens of other Federation timeships from that same period. And even if by some absurd literary device they did manage to shoehorn it in, the idea that any captain and crew in our era could actually use the thing properly is ludicrous, it would be like trying to teach a chimp to fly a fighter jet.

I don't think I could have said it any better myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Yes, I fly a Galaxy-X... and yes, I just 1-shotted you with it." -- Alcione@Hakaishin
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I said this in another thread:

"they could make a Replica of the ship (much like the NX), build it as close to specifications as possible with current technology, and call it the Wells Class

it'd be fairly easy, assuming Voyager got accurate scans"

Making a Wells Class would not be ridiculous under that circumstance. That is all.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    corsair114corsair114 Member Posts: 276
    edited July 2012
    My sentiments regarding the Wells class.

No.
  • Options
    sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    trek21 wrote: »

"they could make a Replica of the ship (much like the NX), build it as close to specifications as possible with current technology, and call it the Wells Class

Making a Wells Class would not be ridiculous under that circumstance. That is all.

I'm pretty sure any scans Voyager got (I don't even think they were ever in a position to scan the Relativity were they?) would be buried so deep, the Narada's ridiculous mining platform couldn't even get to them. That's assuming of course a temporal agent doesn't make sure that such scans are destroyed. And then why would Star Fleet replicate a ship from their future? That's ridiculous in and of itself. If we start flying ships that look like their from hundreds of years in the future, wouldn't that butterfly into the design of the Wells-Class changing in the future to avoid being associated with a ship design in the past, negating the existence of such replicas in the first place?
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Difference is that the NX has been in service for a many years, and its design specifications in its entirety were not simply based on an external scan (that's like saying the Bajorans could recreate the Enterprise-F simply by scanning it). No different than us currently taking a WWII Aircraft Carrier, or really any other sea-fairing ship to include those hundreds of years old in general design, and refitting it with modern technology.

The Wells had never been so much as looked at or analyzed directly by Fed Engineers. And even if they were, it is technology 400+ years from the future.

That would be no different than a 17th century ship engineer analyzing the US Navy's Gerald R. Ford Supercarrier class currently being developed, or the Space Shuttle Columbia.

I'm sorry. The most they *might* be able to do is mimic the exterior appearance (and even that is a maybe depending on engineering functionality, which again, is similar to comparing the ships used by Christopher Columbus to the U.S.S. Nimitz).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    We have the Galaxy X, Cardassian, and Jem'Hadar so it makes just as much sense as having a ship based on designs from the 29th Century. Ferengi D'Kora makes sense since they would sell anything to anyone. Anyone asking for the Wells Class is asking for the look of the ship not a complete replica. Some of us want more Fed ships not based on the old saucer and nacelle design. At least it is better than asking for the Enterprise-J.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2012
    Most starfleet ships are shaped as they are because of warp, the Wells is a completely different shape, replicating that in the 25th century without the tec that it's shaped for will just be silly.

However going on missions to the future and seeing ships like the Wells, Aeon, Enterprise J or the Spirit types would be good.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm pretty sure any scans Voyager got (I don't even think they were ever in a position to scan the Relativity were they?) would be buried so deep, the Narada's ridiculous mining platform couldn't even get to them. That's assuming of course a temporal agent doesn't make sure that such scans are destroyed. And then why would Star Fleet replicate a ship from their future? That's ridiculous in and of itself. If we start flying ships that look like their from hundreds of years in the future, wouldn't that butterfly into the design of the Wells-Class changing in the future to avoid being associated with a ship design in the past, negating the existence of such replicas in the first place?
    Difference is that the NX has been in service for a many years, and its design specifications in its entirety were not simply based on an external scan (that's like saying the Bajorans could recreate the Enterprise-F simply by scanning it). No different than us currently taking a WWII Aircraft Carrier, or really any other sea-fairing ship to include those hundreds of years old in general design, and refitting it with modern technology.

The Wells had never been so much as looked at or analyzed directly by Fed Engineers. And even if they were, it is technology 400+ years from the future.

That would be no different than a 17th century ship engineer analyzing the US Navy's Gerald R. Ford Supercarrier class currently being developed, or the Space Shuttle Columbia.

I'm sorry. The most they *might* be able to do is mimic the exterior appearance (and even that is a maybe depending on engineering functionality, which again, is similar to comparing the ships used by Christopher Columbus to the U.S.S. Nimitz).
    If I may, Picard saw the Galaxy-X for a handful of minutes, with no scans... and yet, in this game, we have a Galaxy-X. It should technically be impossible for that to be real, but it is.

I'm thinking they could do the same for the Wells Class, should it ever be introduced. If they could recreate a ship from another reality, they could make an effort on a ship from the future.

Plus like I said, they could make the ship under current technologies, while mimicing the ship's look as closely as possible. No one said it had to be a perfect replica
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's always best to provide a link: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Wells_class

Else you're telling the folks who would be providing such a feature to do their own research. May wind up with a rowboat floating through space. ;)

the flying rowboat is already in game.... well, the foundry at least.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If I may, Picard saw the Galaxy-X for a handful of minutes, with no scans... and yet, in this game, we have a Galaxy-X. It should technically be impossible for that to be real, but it is.

I'm thinking they could do the same for the Wells Class, should it ever be introduced. If they could recreate a ship from another reality, they could make an effort on a ship from the future.

Plus like I said, they could make the ship under current technologies, while mimicing the ship's look as closely as possible. No one said it had to be a perfect replica

So you think four decades is comparable to four centuries? Where did it say in game that Picard designed the Galaxy X from what he saw in those moments in the future, I must of missed that.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

No, it shouldn't. Picard saw a ship 40 years in the future, and now 40 years later, that ship exists.

We're talking about a ship 400... 4-0-0... FOUR HUNDRED... not 40... 400... years later.

Do you not understand the difference of technology between 40 years of development and 400?

No, it is NOT possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Difference is, the Galaxy-X is a possible evolution of the Galaxy Class, a ship which already existed in 2370. The redesign to include a 3rd warp nacelle, the "phaser lance", and an increase in warp velocity to Warp 13, may have already been in the planning stages long before Picard saw the Galaxy-X in the future. Just because he saw the ship, doesn't mean he had any influence on it's eventual creation.

Furthermore (as I stated in the other thread), a replica is a copy of something that PREVIOUSLY existed, such as the NX Class. The Wells Class hasn't even been conceived of, much less designed or created yet, by the time of 2409.

If they ever add the Wells Class to the game (using current tech or not), it will be either ridiculously overpowered, or ridiculously underpowered compared to what it should be. In any case, it won't be any good for anyone involved.

And don't get me started on the Enterprise-J ...
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    artan42 wrote: »
    Spirit types would be good.

Thats a ship I'd like to see
  • Options
    sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012

hakaishin beat me to the punch.

When Picard saw the Galaxy-X he was already in the future, and Starfleet didn't attempt to start making Galaxy-X's 40 years prior to them being built. They started making them, in the future. If/When he gave any knowledge he had of the Galaxy-X over to Starfleet you didn't see a mad rush on Starfleets part to start creating replicas based off of it. The Galaxy-X in STO was developed around 2399 which puts in line for when the Galaxy-X of the Anti-time future came into service as well. The Anti-time future is also not wildly different from the one we see in STO either. For example: The Federation-Klingon Alliance has collapsed, Beverly Crusher commands the U.S.S. Pasteur, The Klingons have gone to war with the Romulans, Worf is back with the Klingon Empire, etc...
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    You people keep missing my point of making the ship under CURRENT technologies, not future ones...

Al said he wanted to try and get the class into the game. If it's gonna come, don't you think there should some justifications? Even if they're flimsy? And I know replica means something that previously existed... but what else would you call a replica of a future ship class that you can't normally make?

Seriously, it's not as hard as many of you seem to think. And under what I'm proposing, is not really an issue that would normally involve tech from 400 years into the future. It'd be built under current tech, have relatively the same power as current tech, but resemble a future ship class (to a degree)
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    If it's not designed using the same materials as the 29th Century Wells Class, then it's NOT the Wells Class, period.

It may look like a Wells Class, but it's not the Wells Class.

Al says alot of stupid s--t, so I wouldn't put too much stock on some of the things he "wants". After all, Al didn't want the Ambassador Class in the game because he thought it was "too similar" to the Galaxy Class. But the Ambassador atleast fits the timeline. The Wells Class does not. End of story.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You people keep missing my point of making the ship under CURRENT technologies, not future ones...

Al said he wanted to try and get the class into the game. If it's gonna come, don't you think there should some justifications? Even if they're flimsy? And I know replica means something that previously existed... but what else would you call a replica of a future ship class that you can't normally make?

Seriously, it's not as hard as many of you seem to think. And under what I'm proposing, is not really an issue that would normally involve tech from 400 years into the future. It'd be built under current tech, have relatively the same power as current tech, but resemble a future ship class (to a degree)

Considering how anal the time cops of the federation could be what makes you think they wouldn't put the kibosh on the ship designs...not to mention the ships was designed with tech from four hundred years in mind. You telling me some engineer would suddenly just come up with some ship design centuries in the future now?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    If it's not designed using the same materials as the 29th Century Wells Class, then it's NOT the Wells Class, period.

It may look like a Wells Class, but it's not the Wells Class.

Al says alot of stupid s--t, so I wouldn't put too much stock on some of the things he "wants". After all, Al didn't want the Ambassador Class in the game because he thought it was "too similar" to the Galaxy Class. But the Ambassador atleast fits the timeline. The Wells Class does not. End of story.
    Neither does the Galaxy-X, because it's from a different reality... yet it's in-game. So that's not really valid here
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Another thing to consider (going hand-in-hand with lianthelia's post):

Anything that happens in 2409, will be "ancient history" to the temporal integrity commission of the 29th Century. They routinely monitor changes in the timeline. If Q himself would stop by in the 29th Century, pick up the designs for the Wells Class, then head back to 2409 and hand the plans over to Admiral Quinn, don't you think the "time cops" would notice?
    Neither does the Galaxy-X, because it's from a different reality... yet it's in-game. So that's not really valid here

Actually it is quite valid. The Galaxy-X is just an upgraded version of the Galaxy Class, using the same exact materials and technology. The 3rd warp nacelle shares the same tech and materials as the original 2 nacelles, and the phaser lance uses the same technology as conventional phaser weapons.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Considering how anal the time cops of the federation could be what makes you think they wouldn't put the kibosh on the ship designs...not to mention the ships was designed with tech from four hundred years in mind. You telling me some engineer would suddenly just come up with some ship design centuries in the future now?
    I believe they'd only get involved if a Wells Class from the future got involved 400 years in it's past (meaning STO's present). If engineers built a model/replica/whatever of the Wells Class with current tech, that acted under current tech and not future anything... they could probably let it slid.

Plus, Janeway saw the ship. And she tends to break the rules half the time... maybe she told engineers of the class at one point, and they built a version of it.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Lets be fair here, stupid as it is, since they made the 2009 movie cannon they obviouslly don't really care about that kind of stuff. Still agree it's stupid, there's just no way they'd come up with that specific design.

Now if you want to suggest that some designer got ahold of the story heard about the hull form and had a cool idea for integrating that hull form with modern technology to create a diffrent but still wells inspired design, i can see that flying if we continue to ignore the department of temporoal investigations.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Plus, Janeway saw the ship. And she tends to break the rules half the time... maybe she told engineers of the class at one point, and they built a version of it.

Did she now?

She saw the BRIDGE which is far different from seeing the actual ship. Unless she looked directly at a ship schematic, I find it hard to believe that she had enough time to memorize the looks of said schematic. And even if she did, she's swoen to uphold the Temporal Prime Directive. Which means, DON'T TELL ANYONE IN THE PAST, ANYTHING YOU'VE SEEN OR HEARD IN THE FUTURE.

That includes revealing information of a future ship class, to Starfleet Engineers.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    Did she now?

She saw the BRIDGE which is far different from seeing the actual ship. Unless she looked directly at a ship schematic, I find it hard to believe that she had enough time to memorize the looks of said schematic. And even if she did, she's swoen to uphold the Temporal Prime Directive. Which means, DON'T TELL ANYONE IN THE PAST, ANYTHING YOU'VE SEEN OR HEARD IN THE FUTURE.

That includes revealing information of a future ship class, to Starfleet Engineers.
    what about all the times she's broken the Prime Directive? she and everyone else may have hit the reset button a lot, but that can't get of the fact that she still breaks the rules sometimes

and to her, the Temporal Prime Directive is another rule, to uphold one moment than break the next. you may not like her breaking rules at all, but she still does it.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    In the end, we're arguing about things we really don't know anything about.

Suffice it to say, it's bad enough that Cryptic takes ships that are 300 years old (NX Class) and puts it in 2409. Now they want to add ships that are 400 years MORE ADVANCED and put in the same time period. Anyone else see the ridiculousness of this?

Al did say ONE THING in the podcast that I wholeheartedly agree on... The possibility of a "Star Trek Online 2", which would correct alot of the stupid s--t in this game. Not holding out much hope for a sequel to STO, when they can't even get this game right.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Because the Gerald R. Ford Class Super Carrier can totally be constructed with the ship engineering technologies of the American Colonies of the late 1600's... that makes sense...

A time when a wooden ship with a sail was the pinnacle of shipping technology, being asked to reconstruct a dual-nuclear reactor warship without a sail, able to house 90 aircraft in a time when aircraft wasn't even invented yet, missile technology when missiles weren't invented yet, the ship's sheer size being over 5x the largest ship of the time, able to accomodate a crew of 5,000 troops, and single-handedly able to annihilate an entire country...

/sarcasm

They couldn't even create something that LOOKED like it...

The comparison is identical. Today's most advanced Carrier class, constructed by the USA... being engineered by the American Engineers of 400 years ago (well, as close a comparison as possible... the United States didn't exist back then, but America did... though the fact the nation wasn't around makes no difference to the world's technological development).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Because the Gerald R. Ford Class Super Carrier can totally be constructed with the ship engineering technologies of the American Colonies of the late 1600's... that makes sense...

/sarcasm

The comparison is identical. Today's most advanced Carrier class, constructed by the USA... being engineered by the American Engineers of 400 years ago (well, as close a comparison as possible... the United States didn't exist back then, but America did... though the fact the nation wasn't around makes no difference to the world's technological development).
    it's a video game, not everything has to make sense, even in the IP's capabilities. especially since as a video game, it's soft canon at best

plus trying to apply real life events to a fictional world, and furthermore, apply that same logic to a video game based on that fiction... THAT doesn't make sense
    Was named Trek17.

This discussion has been closed.