test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PWE Can Terminate Paid LTS Accounts In Good Standing? (Update in OP)

powerpuffponypowerpuffpony Member Posts: 11 Arc User
From here:
http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

Your Account may be deactivated if you do not use your Account within twelve months after the date that it was created or for any continuous period of twelve months after creation. If you do not use your Account for twelve or more months, it may be removed and deleted by the Website administrator at their sole discretion. We will endeavor to use reasonable efforts to notify you by e-mail before we delete your Account, unless we are deleting your User ID for a violation of these terms or discontinuation of the Service. However, we will not be liable in any manner for any failure to give notice. If you advise us within five days of the notice that you want to keep your Account active, we will not delete it. If you do not so notify us, your Account may be permanently deleted, along with your User ID, records, ranks and service information. Please note that regardless of any notice, PWE reserves the right to discontinue the Service or to terminate or suspend your account at any time in its sole discretion for any reason, or for no reason.

So if someone does not login to their paid "lifetime" account (which is in good standing) within 12 months, Cryptic / PWE can just delete it?

Or just delete my paid "lifetime" subscription in good standing for any old reason, or even no reason at all?

===UPDATE FROM PWE_BRANFLAKES - 7/19/12===

Greetings Captains,

I've got an update for you :) Please rest assured that because Gold accounts receive a monthly stipend, they will not be defined as "inactive" - receiving the stipend counts as activity. This applies to Lifetime Accounts as well as those with a recurring subscription plan.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    temp3rustemp3rus Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Can't say I'm surprised tbh.
  • Options
    skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Wouldn't say that's unique to PWE's ToS tbh.
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I don't see where it says Lifetime Accounts in there.....
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    gypsyblade wrote: »

A lifetime "account" is a type of an "account", no?
  • Options
    pogmahone70pogmahone70 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Since our cryptic accounts have been assimilated by PWE our lifetime sub is attached to the new account. If they do delete the account your LTS would go with it.
    Divine Protectorate Gaming
    STO Beta Tester and Original Cryptic user
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Humour: No, but they terminate if you ask a question that's been discussed more than 10 times previously. :)

The first clause is in there just for butt covering. The devs have said previously that there is no plan on doing that.

The second clause is found in all online agreements that I've seen. Again butt covering. I'm sure if you came here to the forums and started cursing everybody out and comparing the devs to well insert your favorite animal's behind quarters here, you would find yourself reading an email covering that clause. It's happened before.

Hacking as well as gold selling (if they ever start dealing with that) would be covered in the second clause as well.
  • Options
    sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    login once in a while?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    login once in a while?

That could be hard to do for some people.. Like a US soldier sent to Iraq for a 12 month tour.

But hey.. Who cares about US soldiers sent overseas... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ashleyaddictionashleyaddiction Member Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Even though that's in the Terms of Service, FrankieRaye (PWI Community Manager) has stated they have never actually banned an account for inactivity. I think you're pretty safe.
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Since our cryptic accounts have been assimilated by PWE our lifetime sub is attached to the new account. If they do delete the account your LTS would go with it.

I believe they've already stated this won't happen
    That could be hard to do for some people.. Like a US soldier sent to Iraq for a 12 month tour.

Have a spouse or family member log in?

Otherwise, most companies have similar ToS... you break their rules... chance for account deletion.. which would include LTS

I highly doubt this will happen at least not without reason... considering they want money.... we shelled out between $200 - $300 for our LTS... they know we have money :wink:
  • Options
    n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    one more reason not to trust PWE for me
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Yeah really. What a bunch of unpatriotic terrorists. :rolleyes:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'd guess that both Cryptic and Atari could do the same thing when their ToS was in effect.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Otherwise, most companies have similar ToS... you break their rules... chance for account deletion.. which would include LTS

I highly doubt this will happen at least not without reason... considering they want money.... we shelled out between $200 - $300 for our LTS... they know we have money :wink:

It won't happen just like STO won't be going F2P right? LOL.

They already got the LTS cash. If they kill the account and the user creates a new one then they get more cash.. And if the user just walks away pissed PWE still keeps the LTS cash. Seems like a strong motive to me.
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm no fan of PWE but that was part of the Cryptic ToS, it's nothing new.:rolleyes:
    I think the idea in a F2P game is that they can remove clutter. I would think a lifetime sub (or still paying Gold sub) would be treated differently. I may be wrong, but that seems reasonable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The first one is to get rid of people who make an account, sign in once and then don't play it again afterwards. I'm sure @Beavis666's level 1 character that hasn't been played in 2 years is not vital to anyone. As people have said, it was in the ToS pre-PWE and never acted upon for a paying/LTS account. Cos if it had been, the nuclear-grade ****storm would never have been forgotten.

The second clause (or something like it) is pretty standard in ToS for online games, to make sure their backside is absolutely covered in case some smart git calls BBB on them when he's banned. Does it say anywhere that the account isn't actually the property of the player, regardless of what they are paying/have paid? Cos that's one I've seen a lot before.

The sky is not falling, people.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    gettorix wrote: »
    I think the idea in a F2P game is that they can remove clutter. I would think a lifetime sub (or still paying Gold sub) would be treated differently. I may be wrong, but that seems reasonable.

Yeah I mean if you haven't played the game for 12 months they probably just assume you aren't coming back.
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Yeah I mean if you haven't played the game for 12 months they probably just assume you aren't coming back.

I number of us came back for f2p who had been gone for over 12 months.

granted first thing I did was delete my old character.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2012
    Thank you for bringing this up -- the Customer Service team will look into it. But, Lifetime means Lifetime (unless you are breaking the ToS and/ or EULA -- inactivity does not fall into a Lifetime account purview).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012

not PWE...
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Forum accounts and game accounts are not the same thing, that's why you had to choose different names in the migration. You have *three* accounts in their various databases now. The red text you highlighted has "Website administrator" right in it. You honestly believe the people paid to be in charge of the website have any power over the game servers? Do you believe they are even in the same cities?

Also, it's a MMO. They keep your data expressly for the purpose of luring you back at any time in the future. Threatening to remove it makes utterly no business sense, Chicken Little. But yes, legally, they need to be capable of doing it. Just like when the game gets shut down for good, you can't ask for your profile on a diskette. :tongue: I lost my Galaxies characters when the NGE came, because I didn't elect to preserve anything by continuing to be a customer.
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • Options
    drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If you don't log in for a year or more then you probably wouldn't care if they deleted it or not.
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • Options
    sparkle84sparkle84 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Thank you for bringing this up -- the Customer Service team will look into it. But, Lifetime means Lifetime (unless you are breaking the ToS and/ or EULA -- inactivity does not fall into a Lifetime account purview).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Be that as it may be perceived by Cryptic and yourself, if we fall under the terms mentioned above, PWE doesn't appear to agree. There needs to be an 'unless a lifetime member' clause.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    brackynews wrote: »
    Forum accounts and game accounts are not the same thing, that's why you had to choose different names in the migration. You have *three* accounts in their various databases now.

Also, it's a MMO. They keep your data expressly for the purpose of luring you back at any time in the future. Threatening to remove it makes utterly no business sense, Chicken Little. But yes, legally, they need to be capable of doing it. Just like when the game gets shut down for good, you can't ask for your profile on a diskette. :tongue: I lost my Galaxies characters when the NGE came, because I didn't elect to preserve anything by continuing to be a customer.

You do realize they have a whole section on "Account" in the TOS I linked right?

Perhaps you can point out where in that TOS it defines your 'forum account" being different from your "game account" in regards to deactivation due to inactivity?
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited June 2012

actually if the so called soldier chooses he can have his rig sent to the base he will have R&R at and be able to get on for a little while when that happens but at most this is only a few hours at a time but at least it some time he he so chooses to do this , I knew a soldier that had his rig sent over seas with him and he would get on with the clan I was in at the time and play a few hours of BF 2142 with us when he had free time all tho the interrnet connection sucked he still tried to get on and play.

By the way I care what happens to our soldiers that go overseas.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    If you date/married a lawyer, please have them look at this because all this layman's perspective on reading legaleze is groan inducing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2012
    sparkle84 wrote: »
    Be that as it may be perceived by Cryptic and yourself, if we fall under the terms mentioned above, PWE doesn't appear to agree. There needs to be an 'unless a lifetime member' clause.

That's why I mentioned that the CS team is looking into it :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    That's why I mentioned that the CS team is looking into it :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I look forward to your followup reply in this thread with the information you found from CS..

Either:

A) LTS accounts are not affected by the inactivity / "delete for any or no reason at all" policy and the TOS will be updated by the legal team ASAP

Or

B) LTS accounts are indeed affected by the inactivity / "delete for any or no reason at all" policy and the current TOS is accurate.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Why must someone not interested in the game be bothered to do token logins for you?

If you are a paid LTS, it shouldn't matter how long ago you last logged in. What part of "Lifetime" do you not understand?
    XzRTofz.gif