test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 6 Dev Blog #7

Comments

• wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Oh yay another lottery just what I wanted!!!! *End sarcasm*. Well that seals it, with the Zen BS and now another lottery disguised as a doff pack, no more money from me goes into this game, I'm changing to to silver account...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Show me the ultra rare Doffs they are putting in these packs and I might want to pick a few up. I wonder if the Freighter will be as rare as the past lockbox ships. I hope not, it would be cool if it sold for less then 40 Mil EC on the exchange.
  • drasketodrasketo Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You couldnt even come up with a new design?

Really? The same old, boring, butt ugly freighter design we already have? And the KDF gets the exact same ship?

Well, Im not really surprised.
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Excellent work with the new doff pack! This should be how one adds random packs to the game.

Way better than lockboxes. :D

All we need now are Ferengii Requisition Orders containing Ferengi doffs, consumables and random chance of everything you wanted to scam us with the lockboxes in there, I can call Cryptic safely redeemed... for now. :p

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Senior Systems Designer Geoff "Heretic" Tuffli reveals details about the new Reinforcements Duty Officer Pack in this entry of the Season 6 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

Tuffly Freighter stats are totally OP*! [/PvP Autopilot]

I am looking forward to videos from mancom (fakehilbert) showing off his 15:3 wins in a Freighter. :p

Mustrum "I wonder if it fits into the vault" Ridcully

*)
    1. Story-Wise: Seriously, basic Freighters have Transwarp to all exploration sectors but Starfleet and KDF vessels don't have?
    2. Ship Comparison: 25th Century Freighters are more powerful than the TOS Constitution! That's a nasty blow to the Connie Fans!
    3. DOFF Addict: Seems like P2W (pay-for-advantage) for DOFFing.
    4. Beats lockboxes, you actually get something useful out of it when you don't get the uber ship!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The golden rule in pvp appears to be "hire three guys to join the other side and quit"
    Seen it done
    Live long and Prosper
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    With the early forum fiasco this seems like a bit of a stick and carrot approach. Although the forum call was all PWE.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    I somehow doubt CBS would have any reservations about stock freighters being released into the game, more so than antique Federation ships. In any sensible universe, poorly or completely unarmed freighters would outnumber cruisers with the firepower to depopulate several planets by at least two to one. I'd hope.

I don't know. I liked the change over with the gamma cadres, and I'm going to need some Federation flight deck officers anyway, but seeing as I'm much disinclined to turn over any more information to PWE than I already have been forced to, and buying Cryptic points therefor being out of the question for the foreseeable future, I may just have to give it a few days and see what the Exchange does.

You can set up your game in Steam by starting the STO download, then pausing it and copy-pasting your install directory into the SteamApps folder. If you launch the game from within Steam, clicking the "Buy CPoints" button on the ingame CStore brings up the Steam Wallet(which you can pre-charge with a specific amount of money) and continues to sell CPoints in the old amounts for the old prices and in the old currencies.

This will doubtless change eventually, but for the moment it offers a way to put a reasonably responsible retailer between your credit card info and PWE.

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Umm... it's all cool and all, but are these new duty officers going to be available only from these new packs, or is there going to be an option to obtain them through some mission chain?

If the latter, I'm going to be seriously disappointed. But I guess after yesterday's surprise linking I should expect anything from Cryptic...
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well first of all glad the doff packs are getting further things when you purchase them and the frieghter is a useless ship but since there was people who were on about being traders was interesting foresight or you actually listened for once.

Now listen once more and change the forum back because quire frankly it is a pile of trash and anyone with basic HTML programming could make a better one
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited June 2012
    there goes pvp game balance out the window even further.... i swear, do you guys not care about it at all? i thought gozer was put there to prevent this sort of stuff from happeneing?

thanks! -a pissed off long timer sto vet thats also still pissed that the forums were changed without any heads up, prior notifications at all. guess that means they dont care about customer relations eh?-
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    so you put a Freighter that is only really good for DOffing in a DOff Pack?
    ...and NO Lobi?

That sounds to me like there are no plans to REPLACE the Lockboxes with DOff Packs,
    but that this will be ON TOP of the default LockBox Shenanigans?

to the pack itself, it certainly sounds not bad.
    but i guess i'm already to far ahead in the DOff System to care about spending 220 C-Points for a DOff pack that gives me a BAD chance at a purple DOff.
    I have 600 Blue and 400 Purple DOffs over 10 Characters by now, i really don't care for white + green anymore, and i know enough players who even got rid of their blue DOffs completely by now.

What isn't clear from this DevBlog is if the "alternate" active roster powers will be available through normal gameplay or exclusively through C-Store Packs?

I really hope the DOff system doesn't get turned into a full blown "Pay 2 Win" mechanism with selling these new powers now...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    torinthi wrote: »
    Y'know i really wouldn't mind more ships... but your drop rates for people getting them is silly... some people can get 3-4 ships then some others will open twice as many boxes than that other person and not get anything but junk, same with the Doff packs, needs to be evened out i'd say

Everyone has equal chances. Luck varies. Just like in real life.
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's still lotto. You could spend hundreds of dollars and never get the "reward". No, it's not a lockbox (they've just repackaged the lotto/lockbox system). People who want to buy the ship will still get reamed trying.

You are buying the doffs not the ship. It's just an additional bonus. Therefore it is not a lotto.
  • mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This will doubtless change eventually, but for the moment it offers a way to put a reasonably responsible retailer between your credit card info and PWE.

PWE prepaid cards can also be bought at your local WalMart and Target stores for those that have such retailers. I've no doubt that retailers in other countries carry them as well. This allows you to pay cash, credit, however you like, and the only number that PWE gets from you is the one you enter off the back of that card. It's the only way I buy Zen.
  • canhazlockboxplzcanhazlockboxplz Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You are buying the doffs not the ship. It's just an additional bonus. Therefore it is not a lotto.

Don't want the doffs, I want the ship. That makes it exactly the same as the lockbox lotto.

If you wanted the D'Kora, you purchased keys. Opened up a box, NO SHIP, tossed the unwanted TRIBBLE into back (consumable, lobis, etc). Buy another key. Rinse/repeat several hundred times.

Now you want the freighter. You buy the duty officer set (costs even MORE than keys). Open them up, NO SHIP, Toss the unwanted doffs into you ship (have to buy more space for them = yeah, spending even MORE cpoints). Buy another doff pack. Rinse/repeate several hundred times.

Sounds like the same old lotto to me. Can spend several HUNDRED dollars and never get the ship.
    edited June 2012
    maybe in pve when your opponents are brainless hit point sponges. in pvp someone with a crummy active roster doesn't stand a chance.

Don't be surprised when this sort of crying for 'balance' in PvP results in Gozer completely disabling active roster powers in PvP maps.

Because that is, frankly, the most equitable solution. Carry whatever you want in, but active roster goes dead, pay consoles deactivate, and all equipment drops to white variety for the duration.

If we're really talking balance, that is.
    edited June 2012
    Don't want the doffs, I want the ship. That makes it exactly the same as the lockbox lotto.

If you wanted the D'Kora, you purchased keys. Opened up a box, NO SHIP, tossed the unwanted TRIBBLE into back (consumable, lobis, etc). Buy another key. Rinse/repeat several hundred times.

Now you want the freighter. You buy the duty officer set (costs even MORE than keys). Open them up, NO SHIP, Toss the unwanted doffs into you ship (have to buy more space for them = yeah, spending even MORE cpoints). Buy another doff pack. Rinse/repeate several hundred times.

Sounds like the same old lotto to me. Can spend several HUNDRED dollars and never get the ship.

If I wanted a D'kora, I would buy one on the exchange. Really simple. No need to play lotto, guaranteed satisfaction.

If I don't want the junk out of the failed lockbox or the doffs out of the pack, that's easy to deal with, too: I sell them on the exchange. Thereby increasing the amount of EC I have in order to buy that D'Kora.

If you want one of these freighters, pinch your pennies. There'll be one on the exchange within five minutes of the shard coming back up. Probably for 500mil EC. But if you can afford to wait, it'll stabilize somewhere between 160-230mil, if not even lower than that.
  • vkfphoenixlordvkfphoenixlord Member Posts: 1,991 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Are the price for the packs going to be the same?
  • hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited June 2012
    What does energy credit discount means when using this freighter? Does it mean that we will have a discount when buying items from the exchange?
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    hrci2907 wrote: »
    What does energy credit discount means when using this freighter? Does it mean that we will have a discount when buying items from the exchange?

It sells commies at merchantprices, I think that's it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I love the idea of packing ships like this Freighter as possible prizes for DOFF purchases. It's a bad combat ship, but it's very useful for other aspects of the game some people enjoy. So it's not a necessity, but it does make life easier. :)

Just one question...will the Freighter be Bound or sellable? (Looks like another mad EC dash if it's sellable. lol!)
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    In spite of the really annoying mess you add to the forums, I have to say that Cryptic did a good job here.

This is an improvement, and something really interesting and worth spending some money on it. Doffing is quite relaxing when you get bored of the repetitive pve content. All doffers will enjoy this ship a lot. :rolleyes:

Would be nice to have cool changes only though.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just love that we've equipped a non-combat intended freighter with transwarp drive, of which the federation can only field a, what 100ish year old ship, and no new ones have come out?
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

edited June 2012
    blitzy4 wrote: »
    I just love that we've equipped a non-combat intended freighter with transwarp drive, of which the federation can only field a, what 100ish year old ship, and no new ones have come out?

Transwarp to exploration clusters that has a chance of failure some of the time.

That's a feature that I'm definitely missing from my main ship.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Oh here we go another useless ship we didn't ask for, not like we have been asking for a Sovy Refit, Ambassador Class, 2409 skin for the Excelsior, shall I go on. They keep making these ship and not the ones we ask for that we all would buy. Just another nail in the coffin. I wont be buying this with a chance of maybe getting that ship.

Who is we, you don't talk for me.:tongue:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • pyrophilepyrophile Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    neato. scary to see what 5 freighters can do in an STF though.

Uh, the Dev blog explicitly stated that the freighter isn't intended for combat.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    We already know that Data Samples and Commodities are going to be a huge part of the fleet base system. Honestly I think it's a great idea to be able to have that change of pace and switch to a freighter and just coast around the clusters and nebulae collecting data samples and the reduced price for commodities. It's also something a lot of the Role play players have been asking for as well.

The only downside I can see to it is if the freighter is bound and not sell-able. I'm already over max on my Duty officer roster, but still would like the chance to have the freighter so I would love to be able to buy one on the exchange.

I have a feeling that packs like this are going to be the replacements for the lock boxes in one form or another so I hope this gets expanded beyond just duty officer packs as well. I would love to see a data sample and commodity pack with the chance to get a work bee space combat healer pet or something of the sort. Something that would really expand beyond just the normal ships, especially with fleet bases coming up, maybe even have the work bee be playable and allow for the search and collection of critical components and critical re-generators or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Part I am wondering about when it says see you "In-game" I hear this from devs and podcasters but the thing is I've never actually seen them in game before LOL... I'm wondering if its an inside joke LOL :D
  • scottapricescottaprice Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The only thing THIS is missing is "Cargo Space" - additional bank space for the owner! This would be AWESOME if we had this for Bank Expansion - call in your own Cargo Ship.... kind of like the Azura II.