Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #3 Discussion Thread

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If there were thousands of entries that would be one thing, but we have eleven. It just wouldn't be right to try for three in a row.

That also presents a case for another conundrum to this topic.

With a handful or two of authors partaking in the challenges, the odds of double/triple winners in a tight pool increase as time goes on.

If we limit it to much, we also drop the numbers of entrees possibly "to much". What to do?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Perhaps it's just one of those topics we will have to 'face on the day'; but if we limit the number of wins your allowed in a row then to up the stakes maybe we should add a bonus award for winning two in row such as a 1000 Dilithium, just so the 'sting' of being banned from applying for several goes isn't so bad!
    The last thing we want to do in making it fair for others is ruining the contest for someone else, we need that equilibrium!... yes I did spell that without spell checker ;) check me out lol
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Moments ago I sent Bran_Flakes this message:

I had a hit of inspiration earlier today as I was planning my two series of missions (really getting into this Foundry :D).

During challenge 3# there has been a lot of great missions and a clear community is developing.

I was wondering if we either had a special event or got all the winners together to do a series of missions that linked up.
    It would be a great test of talent, imagination and give this developing community a real interactive boost!

For example each entry could pick a number from 1 to 20 and on the final date who ever got 1 & the final number get the beginning and ending of the story, then you give each person’s chosen number a short piece of a greater story (hence series) which will link them all together. Then when the voting begins people work from the first episode to the final one and vote on their favourite Episode or 'chapter'!

What you think? :D

Like the email says, what you think? :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. The challenges have been getting steadily better each time around do to feedback, but, we're still in a learning stage here. We should hit this one at a time and watch how it all plays out.

I'm not saying we should let the ball stop rolling mind you, but, let's just wait to see what the changes we're making now do and where it all takes us.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    just so the 'sting' of being banned from applying for several goes isn't so bad!l

I think Chooch will back me up on this, as will anyone whos ever been in a similar situation. There isn't any "sting". It's more like the feeling of realizing that you have become a glutton, and have deprived your freinds of something nice due to your own selfishness. You just feel terrible. That's why I won't put myself in a situation where I could win three in a row. No way.

As for making it a rule, that was just a suggestion, to manage people (who presumably will show up at some furture point) who are not equipped with the same morality genes that the rest of us have. After reading all of these comments and responses, it's obvious that this problem won't ever be an issue with anyone presently here. There's no need to go rushing into any rule-making.

As for a challenge of some kind between previous winners, I think thats a cool idea. I'd be up for it! Of course we'd have to make sure we had a decent pool of winners first. I could never see it happening before Challenge #10 or #15...so that's still way down the road. But it's something to think about when that time comes.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah I agree, also the words of the great Charlie Sheen come to mind..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    chooch99 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, also the words of the great Charlie Sheen come to mind..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg

...wait what those that have to do with this conversation? lol :D
    As for a challenge of some kind between previous winners, I think thats a cool idea. I'd be up for it! Of course we'd have to make sure we had a decent pool of winners first. I could never see it happening before Challenge #10 or #15...so that's still way down the road. But it's something to think about when that time comes.

Well it would be a good option to give the challenge variety later on (around 5#-7#) just to keep it interesting.
    Instead of the winners he could make a thread where people post their commitment and then in the order of their posts they get numbered and given a story. Perhaps those with the most wins by then can get the ending of the series, because you know what some people are like, they will do the first few and not bother with the rest so having the past winners at the end will give the other contestants a fairer chance.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    ..wait what those that have to do with this conversation? lol

"Winning!!!!" Plus I just love this video. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well I love this video: New Star Trek Intro :p

Have you guys check out here; Season Six.

Not only are we getting Tholians & New Episodes & Starbases but new content for the Foundry, looking good ;)
    I wonder how many of us will put the Tholians or/and Tamarians in our applications for the next Challenge? lol

"Darmok and Jalad at Tholia!"
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I am playing XR-377s missions at the moment... well acutally I just started. But there's a reference at the very beginning that made me laugh: The overused console at ESD...*

Wonderful! Just wonderful! :)

(* I really dislike these One-Click missions so that's another reason why I liked that reference)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well, I sent off my vote today.

It was hard narrowing it down to just one mission! But alas, I did have a favorite that stood out to me.

Everybody did a terrific job here and the community should be quite pleased with all of the new missions that have been contributed.

I find myself itching to work some more on a new mission. I just can't seem to stay away from the Foundry for too long :)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    klintobean wrote: »
    I find myself itching to work some more on a new mission. I just can't seem to stay away from the Foundry for too long :)

Tell me about it, I have got Two missions published, one headquarter for the fleet, three in production and another five on paper!

Perhaps I should get out more!? :S ....naa
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I am playing XR-377s missions at the moment... well acutally I just started. But there's a reference at the very beginning that made me laugh: The overused console at ESD...*

Wonderful! Just wonderful! :)

(* I really dislike these One-Click missions so that's another reason why I liked that reference)

Heh, you know, I actually felt a little bad when I found out one of the other contest entries used that as a starting point but... Yeah, I hate the one clickers too. xD

As far as working on another foundry mission... I'd still like to finish this project I am on. It's been too darn long in the works and I have actually published three missions in the middle of working on it, including this one, just to pace myself or to get those missions out on time. Still, three maps from the end. It's home stretch!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I have 2 almost simultaneously ready for publish (i usually "start" 2-3 in early map build stages ahead of time and work out the scripts in work) I have 11 missions outlined ahead of time, and I have this possibly "over ambitious" meta plot I began where all my past missions are going to be synced together in an "Anti Time" story arc with subtle changes that are the result of anti time being used as a weapon of mass reality destruction in the "Anti Time War" larger arc.

That story arc is connected to the Temporal cold war, but the experimental theme is similar to DC comics crisis on infinite earths theme, with a mega plot excusing the continuity changes as a result. Every older mission has one of the new "temporal portal" fx showing up now somewhere in the mission already or will have soon.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I finally got my vote in!

I really enjoyed this Foundry Challenge, and I really liked the level of awesome which was in all of the missions - there wasn't a stand out winner (to my mind at least), and there wasn't one dud (again, to my mind).

Great job everyone, keep up the good work!
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2012
    We have a winner! Check out this post for details: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=570761

Thanks again to everyone who participated :smile: You're all winners in my book!

I am going to unsticky this thread, but please feel free to continue discussing. I am going to be posting Challenge #4 up a little later today.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    starkofthenorthstarkofthenorth Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Congratulations everyone!
    Also known as Gingie(In game) Sskald(Gates of Sto-vo-kor)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This was the best challenge yet!

Hats off to the winner! Nicely done!
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!