test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #3 Discussion Thread

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Foundry Challenge #3 : Holodeck Hypocrisy
This is the comments thread for Foundry Challenge #3 : Holodeck Hypocrisy.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked.

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Holodeck missions should completely open up the possibilities.

This one should be fun.
    I had a blast playing through the last challenge, so it has big boots to fill.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Have fun. I'll be sitting this one out.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Not gonna enter this one but maybe one of the next few. Gonna learn the Foundry a bit better before I do another. So goodbye for now :)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Man, I *just* released a mission based around this theme 3 days ago. I guess I can't submit it for the contest?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Man, I *just* released a mission based around this theme 3 days ago. I guess I can't submit it for the contest?

You should say what the name is at least. Might as well get some advertising for it.
    Maybe some of the the people thinking about doing this challenge will play through your for insperation.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Just pull it and wait until the actual contest. I think one of the entries in this one was created before the actual contest period.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Can I submit a mission already created? "Animations With Helna" fits into the basic plotline of this very well! LOL.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Just pull it and wait until the actual contest. I think one of the entries in this one was created before the actual contest period.

I second that.

You can even import that same project- just rename it and you'll be able to start from scratch in terms of reviews if you like.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    SBCouto wrote: »
    I second that.

You can even import that same project- just rename it and you'll be able to start from scratch in terms of reviews if you like.

In fact, I'm waiting for a Cardassian themed challenge in order to relaunch Admiral's Gopher (which is still live).
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Just pull it until the entry date.
    :)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Havraha wrote: »
    Can I submit a mission already created? "Animations With Helna" fits into the basic plotline of this very well! LOL.

I'm thinking sequel! :D (But in a nice weird way way you don't need to play Animations first. I'm sure if you thought about it hard enough you'd get a way for it to work.)

Also... I may need to pull Barclay out of her closet for this one. Curses, I wanted her next inclusion to be in a Klingside mission.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    SBCouto wrote: »
    You should say what the name is at least. Might as well get some advertising for it.
    Maybe some of the the people thinking about doing this challenge will play through your for insperation.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I decided I won't be using this mission for the contest. Partly because the mission is only part 1 of a much longer storyarc and partly because it does not contain any new experimental holodeck technology going haywire.

If you would like some inspiration for a Holodeck adventure, please do try out my mission "Komahashi Maru" (search for "Koma" in the foundry).
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm thinking of trying this challenge out as well as making my own version of the previous 2 challenges so that I have some ideas to make some missions and get going with this whole foundry thing. I'm a newb but slowly learning more and more as I play with it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I've been spending a few weeks building a city, with no idea about the plot. This challenges gives me an idea, but I'm guessing that using the city wouldn't be in the spirit of the challenge, since I've already spent much time building it.

So, I guess I won't.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Kirkfat wrote: »
    I've been spending a few weeks building a city, with no idea about the plot. This challenges gives me an idea, but I'm guessing that using the city wouldn't be in the spirit of the challenge, since I've already spent much time building it.

So, I guess I won't.

I don't see a problem with it.
    Again, these challenges (at least for me) were about giving exposure to the Foundry and how great stories could be made within it.

If you can add a great story that follows the premise of this challenge, I'd be okay with it. Of course maybe others would be, not sure. I see it as more of a fun challenge- not necessarily as a strict competition.

Also, these challenges give a great boost of playthru's. My 'A Good Ship Goes To War' has over 200 in just two weeks. That would never had happened if it was just released by itself.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Addition to the rules: In the spirit of the competition, only maps, missions, stories, dialogue etc. created/ built/ designed during the 4-week creation period should be used.

((This is so that it is fair to those who are brand-new to the Foundry, or maybe does not have anything that is a work in process :) Hope that's okay!))

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Addition to the rules: In the spirit of the competition, only maps, missions, stories, dialogue etc. created/ built/ designed during the 4-week creation period should be used.

((This is so that it is fair to those who are brand-new to the Foundry, or maybe does not have anything that is a work in process :) Hope that's okay!))

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thank you. I may reconsider doing it now.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm working on my entry but I got stopped by the whole "Map budget" thing. So is it against the rules to make a 2 parter in order to get within that whole 30 to 45 minute thing. My entry involves a Mirror Universe crossover but the crew only just found out that they crossed over. There is a lot more story to finish on this and needs a 2nd part in order to get it just right.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I thought about sitting this one out, but I just got an idea that I'll run with. It should be fun. In the last challenge I had a purely story driven mission, this time I'll focus on ground combat.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Sorry Hav, maybe you could create a sequel.
    Animations with Helna 2, Electric Boogaloo!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Well I have a story-line, bunch of dialogue, ready to start work and can't create a foundry slot... grrrr... First time trying foundry and won't let me do anything even trying the various workarounds mentioned. Thinking I am not gonna get to make this contest. :mad:

Wish they would fix that!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I just want to double-check, there is nothing wrong with a mission having any of the possible level requirements correct? I can include mobs from Klingons to Mirror Fed to Borg and Undine?

The way the votes are worked now it isn't going to hurt anyone's chances is it?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    XR-377 wrote: »
    I just want to double-check, there is nothing wrong with a mission having any of the possible level requirements correct? I can include mobs from Klingons to Mirror Fed to Borg and Undine?

The way the votes are worked now it isn't going to hurt anyone's chances is it?

Any level is fine. Obviously you're looking at a bigger audience with a lower level- but considering most lower level players don't even know what the Foundry is, there probably isn't a difference
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, a lower level mission will sit higher on the list if it isn't fighting the high requirement missions for a slot. Still, for the purposes of the contest though; I don't think it will matter with this voting system. (Which is awesome btw Bran, Good change.)

Truth is, I'm setting up an optional combat choice, and I am debating putting Borg on the list, which will bump up the requirements. I'm wondering if for only one optional combat choice that many players may not even see if it is worth it or if I should just keep the level down to +31 or so.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hey gang,

I have been trying to find some type of resource that will explain what rights, if any, that holographic life forms have in 2409. I cannot find anything apart from the line 'Sentient holograms are considered photonic lifeforms.' on STOWiki.

Does this mean:

1) I am not looking hard enough, or:
    2) I can just do whatever I want, because there is no standard answer.

It is really important to me that my entry is a canon mission, and I don't want to reference a document or legislation (the Photonic Entity Rights Act ) that doesn't exist if there is a canon alternative.

I need more information to be able to complete my misson. I would prefer not to rewrite it, so I am hoping somebody knows something that I don't.

(Future note to self - don't try making a complex mission up as you go along.)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    i've been making some progress on my mission. Space map is complete. Tried something that I haven't heard any one else try. hint: pseudo sector space?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    soriedem wrote: »
    i've been making some progress on my mission. Space map is complete. Tried something that I haven't heard any one else try. hint: pseudo sector space?

That's what makes the Foundry so much fun- trying new things and pushing the boundries.
    And then the new update comes in, ruins all the workarounds, lol, but then opens the door to even more new pushing ideas.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    It's looking really good.
    A lot of entries in- I think I counted 16 or 17.

Looking forward to playing them all.
    No lack of content to play for me!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The meat and bones of my mission are in place. Now all that remains in testing, testing, testing, and more testing. And then we polish.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hey gang,

I have been trying to find some type of resource that will explain what rights, if any, that holographic life forms have in 2409. I cannot find anything apart from the line 'Sentient holograms are considered photonic lifeforms.' on STOWiki.

Does this mean:

1) I am not looking hard enough, or:
    2) I can just do whatever I want, because there is no standard answer.

It is really important to me that my entry is a canon mission, and I don't want to reference a document or legislation (the Photonic Entity Rights Act ) that doesn't exist if there is a canon alternative.

I need more information to be able to complete my misson. I would prefer not to rewrite it, so I am hoping somebody knows something that I don't.

(Future note to self - don't try making a complex mission up as you go along.)

Dig around in the Path to 2409 logs. The whole saga of the Doctors Legal case is in there. You may also want to check up the court case around Data's argument to being a lifeform in the TNG. The Path to 2409 Logs, which I believe are on STO Wiki by now, are probably your best bet for what you are after.

Sorry I don't have more to go on for you but it's something.