test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Known issues and some workarounds (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING)

Comments

• cdrjayde66cdrjayde66 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That's what i did and the weird space flipping out stuttering thing is gone. Whether you use Direct x 11, or 9 or whatever, it should fix it for you. until the next patch comes out. :P
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This has only started with todays patch but every so often my character will freezen and graphics will act like a kaliedoscope it lasts for half a second and is really intermittant. Why can't Cryptic not **** up when there patching something. Sheer incompetence
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • villichvillich Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    robeasom wrote: »
    This has only started with todays patch but every so often my character will freezen and graphics will act like a kaliedoscope it lasts for half a second and is really intermittant. Why can't Cryptic not **** up when there patching something. Sheer incompetence

I'm having the same problem after the patch. It's annoying. Anyone know a fix?
  • scottymcenglishscottymcenglish Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I tried the solution they have posted above the thread, but the only problem is that the postprocessing button isn't lit up. I can't turn it on if I wanted to.
  • toastertimtoastertim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Post-processing isnt fixing it for me and some other players that I know, it just stopped it for a brief moment, but that lil bugger came back.
  • dargalanddargaland Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You know, I wish when they mentioned the post proc. issue, they had explained it a little. A lot of noobs, self included, kept trying to figure out why our gfx cards didn't have this option. DOH!! It's not the gfx card it's IN GAME options. Once I figured that out, I tweaked and now I can actually see the Sphere!! (Understanding is in the details!)
  • veknorveknor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not allowed to make new thread so hope this is the right place to ask this. To start STO I have to run in safe mode otherwise it freezes at the Legacy loading screen. Once in readjust graphics settings. Now as a returning player want to run through the new Fed Tutorial so roll new char and start loading. However I get no intro cut scene and instead get presented with the UI but the rest of the world is completely black. I've updated my Graphics, Sound, Chipset and LAN drivers. Tried running with and without Gameplay proxy. Used DX9, 9ex and 11. Graphics settings high, low and various levels in between. Origonal Install was through Steam, tried removing that and installed via Arc. Anyone have anything else I can try as I remember this game being fun and really want to get back into it.
    Thanks

System Specs:
    Alienware 14
    i7-4700MQ
    8GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 765M & Intel HD4600 (Tried using both same issue no matter which I use)
    Windows 7 64 Bit.

EDIT: Issue fixed. Anyone having the same issue I resolved by connecting though my Wireless and not direct to the router.
  • iikkajarviiikkajarvi Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I also cannot make a thread, even though I have had this account for perhaps close to a year. Odd.

I have not played ST:O in a few months and came back to experience the new content. I've noticed two issues recently that were not present before and I could not find any threads relating to them:

1. Upon game startup (after selecting a captain), the game will basically remain at less than 1 FPS for 1-2 minutes, sometimes approaching 3 minutes. After this, the game returns to more normal speeds, but this only happens upon loading up after choosing from the character selection screen. It happens regardless of which character I choose.

2. During gameplay, always on the ground but sometimes very rarely in space, my FPS can drop from 60+ to <20. I've had spikes send the frame rate as low as 1-5 FPS, which is mind-boggling and I wish I could say they were infrequent enough not to notice but they are jarring.

Ironically, the only thing to have changed since I last played is upgrading for more RAM and a better GPU from the same manufacturer with more than sufficient speed and VRAM.

I have tried messing with individual settings, and that can marginally increase the normal FPS, but never removes the spikes. They average a dozen or so a minute. Also, in cutscenes I'm anywhere between 120-180 FPS and spikes simply do not occur, even though the cutscenes are rendered with what I assume is the same engine as the main game. What gives?
    Specs:

- AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor Black Edition
    - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5
    - Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard
    - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
    Current Server: Mindflayer
    History Class in the Realms: "Elves did it better first. Also, magic was probably involved somehow and maybe gods. Or godly magic. Now go outside so the orcs and bandits have someone to menace."
  • zeihmelezeihmele Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Game crashes randomly. Sometimes at the character select, sometimes in game. Error message says teh graphics card has recovered. STO is the only game I'm having issues with out of 128 owned titles on steam. This problem started after Dyson. Kinda sad X-Rebirth is more stable..
  • destroyer158destroyer158 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have a problem. After i intall the game and download everything, i play the game for as much as i want. When i start for the second time it shows all of the loading screens after i press ENGAGE and than the entire screen is black. The game is running and i can click on the background but god knows what i am clicking. Pls i need some help.
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My client got completely broken after S8.5 prepatch. Yesterday evening it was all fine, after exit I waited until the prepatch finished. Today I thought I check on my toons before 8.5 madness, but the game didn't start. The launcher worked fine, The first loading screen too, but when it finished, all I got was a black screen, music playing in the backgroound and the in-game cursor, which moved fine, but didn't react to any click.
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • steppenrazorsteppenrazor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just came on to say that I tried (i really did try) to give this game another try after months of not playing. And I come to this...

http://puu.sh/6EpFn.jpg

I'm not gonna spend 2 hours in the dark trying to figure out where the <explative> i'm trying to go and then get sruck in a <explative> corner trying to get there only to have to <explative> do the whole <explative> thing over again.
  • yunquaahyunquaah Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just came on to say that I tried (i really did try) to give this game another try after months of not playing. And I come to this...

http://puu.sh/6EpFn.jpg

I'm not gonna spend 2 hours in the dark trying to figure out where the <explative> i'm trying to go and then get sruck in a <explative> corner trying to get there only to have to <explative> do the whole <explative> thing over again.

Having this exact same issue on my laptop with an ATI mobility Radeon HD4250 video card. Win7 system, tried all DX modes to no avail. On my workstation with an Nvidea Quadro card all is working fine though.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I did the Step between Stars and I enjoyed it. I did it at the price of TRIBBLE up my visuals. I got everything fixed on it except that all the ships above ESD were blurry. I found that /renderscale .9 cleared up all my visuals. If you are having problems after that mission and your visuals are weird after just try the /renderscale .9 in the chat window.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • tango80tango80 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My current issues with Season 8.5 are as follows

Certain zones such as the Klingon academy used to load with no issues. Now the game client crashes every time i try to load into them. Right now i just think it could be random maps but then again yesterday I could play the vault Shuttle map. Today the client crashes every time I try to get in there.

However i did figure out a work around. That would be switching the compatibility from windows 8 to windows Xp sp3. However when I change the compatibility all sound and anything audio related goes kaput.

All my drivers are up to date.
    So right now i either take the chance and play with sound and gamble on which zone will crash the game client.

Or

Play with no sound or audio.

Now if i can figure a way to get sound and audio from my xp sp3 compatibility workaround i'll be happy right now i'm just a bit frustrated.
  • bluespwr2bluespwr2 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    When you try to adjust the master volume in the settings panel of the game, the game crashes when you click ok. I noticed this happening when I have iTunes playing. I have not tried it any other way. I am running Windows 7 with DirectX 11.
  • mikeybareilmikeybareil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So I'm playing STO on the mac and I've had pretty glitchy graphics throughout (lots of white balance problems - transporter signatures are black, all the shine on clothing/hair is black etc) but it's been playable so I haven't minded too much. but now this:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1-PMY2FixaohrWxKe-Vyu33xRZ9PyYmv4sKt4JVo-4MQ/edit?usp=sharing

any help? glitchy graphics I can cope with. block white environments... maybe not...
  • russellcarussellca Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So I'm playing STO on the mac and I've had pretty glitchy graphics throughout (lots of white balance problems - transporter signatures are black, all the shine on clothing/hair is black etc) but it's been playable so I haven't minded too much. but now this:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1-PMY2FixaohrWxKe-Vyu33xRZ9PyYmv4sKt4JVo-4MQ/edit?usp=sharing

any help? glitchy graphics I can cope with. block white environments... maybe not...

It looks like the missing texture and icons bug as does your description of earlier experiences ('missing' here also includes substitution - whiteouts, blackouts, another colour or low res texture).
    Been around for some since S8 but plenty of new players are reporting incidents since in S8.5. Check out the thread and if happy post your hardware specs there, as they are being collated and it would be useful to get a few more affected Mac configurations.
  • mikeybareilmikeybareil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    so after the last patch i was able to play the dyson sphere ep (the whole of the background wasn't stark white any more) but I'm still having all the same colour/texture issues I've been having since the start.

Screenshots here:
    http://imgur.com/a/gIIsr

this is how it's all looked from day 1. it's 100% playable but it looks like TRIBBLE.

I'm playing the Mac Beta on a MacBook Air. No fancy graphics card or anything just what it came with:

Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (playing the game from a terabyte external HDD)
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.2

thoughts/help?
  • infammableinfammable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    yunquaah wrote: »
    Having this exact same issue on my laptop with an ATI mobility Radeon HD4250 video card. Win7 system, tried all DX modes to no avail. On my workstation with an Nvidea Quadro card all is working fine though.

[Edited again]
    It's the old Dynamic Lighting causing problems for AMD cards again. Hopefully that gets sorted out soon. Also, GPU-Accelerated Particles was on by default, and that is best off for my PC and many others. Will put together a post to start a thread with my findings
    [end of edit]

Before the update, everything was smooth on My ATI Radeon 7750. Now, the framerate is shot to hell with same graphics settings. Known issues blames it on 12.2 Catalyst. Not sure about that, considering everything was very smooth before TODAY. I'll try taking their advice, roll back my driver, and report here later though.

P.S. Known Issues is horribly out of date in regards to AMD video cards. Someone needs to fix that
    Because it's the sound that steel shod boots make on the deck plating of a real warship. As opposed [to] the cushy carpeting on the Federation luxury liners.
    Archived post on the origin of the word "Klink"
  • eera73eera73 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Having an issue with the Training area. Well i made a new character, and once am into the game, the screen is black. I can however see the interface, options etc. But can't see my character.
  • stouph2063stouph2063 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    These are the bug/glitch graphics screenshots I have to share

Everything was working fine before this:

http://s28.postimg.org/6r2389ynx/screenshot_2014_04_25_19_43_05.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/dtnq7wuov/screenshot_2014_04_25_19_44_12.jpg
  • leyvinleyvin Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    infammable wrote: »
    [Edited again]
    It's the old Dynamic Lighting causing problems for AMD cards again. Hopefully that gets sorted out soon. Also, GPU-Accelerated Particles was on by default, and that is best off for my PC and many others. Will put together a post to start a thread with my findings
    [end of edit]

Before the update, everything was smooth on My ATI Radeon 7750. Now, the framerate is shot to hell with same graphics settings. Known issues blames it on 12.2 Catalyst. Not sure about that, considering everything was very smooth before TODAY. I'll try taking their advice, roll back my driver, and report here later though.

P.S. Known Issues is horribly out of date in regards to AMD video cards. Someone needs to fix that

If you are experiencing issues with AMD Cards it is highly recommended that you use the latest Beta Drivers if you are on Windows 7 or 8.x

Any issues you experience are not ones with your Drivers, even if they do "Crash" and have to restart they are actually serious problems with STO itself. While a crash dump and report might help Cryptic to understand the problem, realistically without knowing the exact state of what was happening at the time such issues are often difficult to diagnose and solve per GPU.

Still part of the issue here is the lack of robust code being used as it is heavily modified.
    Ideally Cryptic really needs to rewrite the entire Graphics Backend of STO rather than simply support DirectX 11 as while it is compatible it doesn't work exactly like DirectX 9 and retaining DirectX 9 support is actually a BAD thing over supporting it as a Feature Set as there are several conflicts that occur taking the Multi-API approach especially as they handle "Multi-Core" and "Memory" allocation in very different ways.

So as far as a 'temporary' solution goes, if you experience issues you should immediately switch-off Multi-Core and Multi-GPU support... yes you will take a performance hit, but it also should enforce validation on memory allocation and disable Async operations that are often at the heart of Driver crash issues.

I would also recommend anyone running on 32-bit OS still be sure to upgrade them to Windows 7 or 8.x 64-bit versions ASAP, as these WILL leads to issues as time goes on.
  • tiwit1tiwit1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hi, i am ahaving really gruesome experiences with startrek online, screen turning white anytime a dreadnought or borg cube gets destroyed, even for two seconds at undine assault when the planet killer gets beaten.

i tryed everything from graphicsettings, but nothing worked.

reinstallation solved the problem for some hours, but today installing the patch, everything is even worse, now i get whitescreens with use of gravitywell sometimes also.

btw, i was getting whitescreens while typing bug reports also. and for somewhile those screens where green.

i am not kidding, i don't know what to do with this problem.

one thing is for sure, the failure is not on my side.

+++ is this mail real? i found it in my spams foulder.

Hi

You recently contacted Perfect World's customer service team and we'd love to know how we did. With just two minutes of your time, you can help us make our service team better!

Please take a few moments to answer this *very* short survey. To show our appreciation, we will enter you into a drawing for 500 Zen! Each month 10 of our lucky players who fill out the survey will win.

To take the survey and be entered into this month's drawing, just click on the Survey link here: Click here to take this survey.

Thanks, we really appreciate your feedback.

Perfect World Customer Service Team

• hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Crystalline Cat and a few other stfs with large pops... cant see weapns fire or shields. Running a lenovo 510p with a medium high gt755m nvidia card. Cryptic...hello....anyone there..? ... :confused:
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • leokesler2012leokesler2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Excuse me my bad english.

I think I am having an issue with flickering nebulas and in many places at any space sector . No issue at ground.

This start to happen yesterday. I dont make any change in my system for last two weeks.

I made this terrible video, using AMD Gaming Evolved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQdf3E5r_HM

This error is happening only in DX11.

Video card : amd R9 270x
  • awesometificawesometific Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So ever since the update on Thursday I began having the black screen problem that I had when 9.5 started. I was able to fix it and then later patches seemed to have fixed the problems. I have been having to start the game in safe mode, adjust graphics and play the game but every time i save it and restart same problems. Sometimes black loading screen, sometimes the game just crashed and sometime the entire computer crashes at the loading screen. I have tried a lot of different combinations on the graphic options but nothing seems to work. I can play the game and enjoy the graphics is safe mode, but I really dont think this is a good thing. Will there be a repeat of the graphics problems when Delta Rising arrives?

Processor is an AMD Athlon II X2 255 3.10 GHz
    Graphics card is GeForce 9200
    I am using Windows 7 and DirectX11
    Fleet Admiral Marcus Red-Six
  • cag8477cag8477 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hi Peeps...

Im having issues with the skills, rep system - pretty much anywhere there is a Box with writing or overlay.

All the external graphics seem fine however - if you look at the Reputation screen, all the writings are squished.

Inventory - All icons are squished. ( Black section to the right of each box )

In space - shields reticle is out of alighnment, all skills trays are squished as above.

really annoying, have adjusted everything I can think of ....

apparently im not the only one with this issue....

Any fixes??
  • phoenix1945phoenix1945 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cag8477 wrote: »
    Hi Peeps...

Im having issues with the skills, rep system - pretty much anywhere there is a Box with writing or overlay.

All the external graphics seem fine however - if you look at the Reputation screen, all the writings are squished.

Inventory - All icons are squished. ( Black section to the right of each box )

In space - shields reticle is out of alighnment, all skills trays are squished as above.

really annoying, have adjusted everything I can think of ....

apparently im not the only one with this issue....

Any fixes??

I am having exacty the same problem. I am playing the game with dx9 on an old machine with low settings ( Radeon X1550 64-bit with driver 8.56.1-081104a-071877E-ATI
    , 3gig ram and intel dual prcessor 2,49 %25 overclocked)

it was working fine until delta expansion install.

Please help!
This discussion has been closed.