Install Arc
Options

First Stipend of Test Points Awarded

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    wrote:
    Prior to his leaving Dan Stahl did in fact come flat out and state that most prices would go down. He's said it both on STOked, and in text here on the forums. This is the exact opposite. It's also a poor decision considering how over priced ships were in the past.
    sure he said that... but he left, and maybe they raised it behind his back
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    A88mph wrote: »
    I don't mind the price hike (It's most likely for the F2P'ers who are coming in) Plus Criptic is giving me $5 in credits a month for free for being a Lifer.

I can save my C-Points for a rainy day. and Cryptic can use the extra cash to meet the upcoming demand from F2P.

On the otherhand, Premium ships going per character sounds bad. (if its true that is). will those who bought them when they were account wide, stay account wide?

I don't know why you think your stipend is going to be able to buy anything. The way things are going, it's just more half-baked lip service designed to try to quell the fact that it will cost more to do *anything* in this game than it's worth.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It sounds like grasping at straws (it definitely is) but is it possible these price hikes are a tribble-only thing as part of their attempts to gather data on what people tend to purchase?

That these changes will not be part of the actual F2P changeover?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It sounds like grasping at straws (it definitely is) but is it possible these price hikes are a tribble-only thing as part of their attempts to gather data on what people tend to purchase?

That these changes will not be part of the actual F2P changeover?

Then they need to clarify that real quick... cause the DOff system is great... but if this is a representation of what happens to holodeck... it might be the last time I spend money here.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    biglcny wrote: »
    Then they need to clarify that real quick... cause the DOff system is great... but if this is a representation of what happens to holodeck... it might be the last time I spend money here.

Very quick. I'm not paying Cryptic more money for "test points." So its highly unlikely I'll be buying anything on the store until the next stippend... because, well, I'm a stubborn *******, and I'm not going to pay to test things I've already paid for unlocks on the live server. :rolleyes:

so, whatever results they get from this are going to be horribly horribly skewed.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    My points won't go towards ships, they'll go toward doffs.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Then they need to clarify that real quick...

They do, but nonetheless even if they don't I will try and be the last man to the escape pods.

C-Store Prices might change, but so could;
    • The Gold player stipend
    • the real $ to C-Point rate
    • The ingame methods for getting ships

A price hike in c-points might level out to something bearable if the gold stipend went up, and/or the $-> C-point rate got better.
    Or all ships got an in-game dilithium acquiring method.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I sure hope the current pricing scheme on Tribble never makes it to Holodeck. If it does, I'll be wasting a hell of a lot less money in the C-Store. The current pricing scheme on Tribble will definitely hinder this games chances of survival. Lets face it! Dan knew the ship was singing and got off before anyone even really noticed.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Eklinaar wrote:
    Why have C-Store prices gone up across the board on Tribble? It says at the below link that prices would not go up.

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_faq#16

Grand Nagus ... Can't you do something about the rogue Ferengi that are running a muck here???

Seriously ... They are likely trying to determine who we respond to the price increases and if they can get away with it.

It's a good reason why many of us have been vocal about all these things.
    JCSWW wrote: »
    I sure hope the current pricing scheme on Tribble never makes it to Holodeck. If it does, I'll be wasting a hell of a lot less money in the C-Store. The current pricing scheme on Tribble will definitely hinder this games chances of survival. Lets face it! Dan knew the ship was singing and got off before anyone even really noticed.

That thought has crossed my mind a LOT these last couple of days .... and I do mean a LOT!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Grand Negus ... Can't you do something about the rogue Ferengi that are running a muck here???

Seriously ... They are likely trying to determine who we respond to the price increases and if they can get away with it.

It's a good reason why many of us have been vocal about all these things.

Indeed. Count me in the crowd who believes that they aren't going to be able to get away with this and have a game to develop for much longer.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Sure the prices will go down... Once they double the prices, they will lower the prices by 25%... Making the final price 150% of current... but they will "lower" the price.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Waiting for OP......

You know, the crafting system was messed up and they said it wasn't their intention... so I going to go with the benefit of the doubt. With the other stuff missing from the C-store... this all just can't be. I'm going to go the denial route for now... just going to sit in the corner rocking back and fourth repeating "this cant' be"
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    After thinking about it. I think the simple solution to show Cryptic that their pricing scheme is completely and utterly wrong is to not spend any test points until they adjust the pricing. If we don't spend out test points, the only data they can gather is that the pricing is too high.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It turns out that there were very few people who had some of their test points removed by accident. All of the affected accounts have been fixed and should now have the correct number of points.

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Waiting for OP......

You know, the crafting system was messed up and they said it wasn't their intention... so I going to go with the benefit of the doubt. With the other stuff missing from the C-store... this all just can't be. I'm going to go the denial route for now... just going to sit in the corner rocking back and fourth repeating "this cant' be"

Dude ... They are performing a Jedi mind trick on you .... "These are the discounts you were hoping for."
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    We have not made any changes to make ships unlock per character. All ships should still unlock account wide.

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    sdangelo wrote: »
    It turns out that there were very few people who had some of their test points removed by accident. All of the affected accounts have been fixed and should now have the correct number of points.

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online
    Thanks.

/10char
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    We have not made any changes to make ships unlock per character. All ships should still unlock account wide.

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

Ok that's nice. but why is the Tier 3 Excelsior now a Store purchase when in has been a an in-game purchase forever? Is it being reworked to be better than the other Tier 3 Cruisers?
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

If every customer affected is now resolved (and it wont happen in future) then yeah I think I will get some C-Store or T-Points. You must be able to comprehend on how a customer feels in that position; even seeing the situation occur was enough to spook off other people purchasing T-Points. I was ready to purchase the points but thought "Nah new system - seen this before - to the forums". The voice of a upset customer is a lot louder than that of a satisfied customer.

Quick Q: Is there an support team in Cryptic? It's a question I've been curious about for a while now and I'm quite interested to find out the answer. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    For those concerned that 1,200 points is not sufficient to try out some parts of the game, this is just the first stipend. There will be more coming at different times during the test period, and I'll keep the Klingon warriors on retainer for the next time the stipend is granted.

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

I hate to break this to you but with the increased prices in the C-store it isn't really, for the purposes of seeing what people spend it on its not going to do much as I'd guess most people will grab 4 Doff packs and leave it be, I mean you can't even grab a premium Tier 5 ship with the price increase and it looks like you rplanning on the VA tier ships being 2000 points.

Its generating ill will amongst your customer base and I know it left a sour taste in my mouth that only contrasted with how well the first iteration of the betas DOff system was going.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

Yet.

Right?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    can you atleast up the points to 2000 so we can get a ship
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Has the bug of the bougth C-points not being copied to Test points been fixed now or is it still there?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    JCSWW wrote: »

Aye, it makes more and more sense why Dan left, he saw the plans that were ahead and got out on good terms while he could. :(
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Do you think the price changes could be to help offset the monthly C-point allowance Gold members are suppose to get?

I mean, some of those ships will now take an extra month of waiting.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    3 updates now and I still can't afford my Commander level ship... seriously you are going to make me grind to captain in a ship I hate just to get a new ship.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Just to gain a little perspective; sure, the cost for some of the c-store items have gone up, but I think it's worth bearing in mind that the game is going FREE to play.

As far as I can see, this means two things:
    (a) If you want the premium content you'll simply be paying for C-Store points... only C-Store points. Since F2P ostensibly removes the monthly subscription required to play, it's likely that if you choose the F2P model then you'll only be paying every now and then for a few points, rather than a mandatory subscription every month on top of any C-Points that you wish buy (which is the way things run currently). So will you actually lose any more money than you currently are?; and

(b) If you choose to pay a monthly subscription anyway for a Gold Account model, then you'll receive 400 points to spend in the STO store every month, which will sufficiently mitigate the effects of the price increase for the average buyer.

I'm sure that I've missed something, or that there's a flaw in my logic, because looking at it I lust can't find reason enough to be as ****ed off about this as everyone seems to be. Of course if you take into account people who spend 1000's of C-Points everyday, then maybe they have a right to be a little ****ed off... but does anyone really spend that much on the C-Store? My experience has been, as has been the experience of the dozen or so people I was chatting with last night about this, is that the C-Store has only ever been used every now and then (about twice a month, personally... ish) on items or ships that I'll utilize immediately (which again, comes around once or twice a month). My current spending pattern is probably even in line with the proposed monthly allowance (400 points), with a few extra spent on the rare occasion that a ship hits the store that I really want. My experience may well not be the same as everyone else though. Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Yah.. Bought some Doffs with my "free" test points... I'm really liking the Doffs... :)

Nay... "shakes his head in disbelief" :eek: Overpriced or what ??... 220cp, for a pack of 7... that have no mention of Account-wide unlock or per Toon.... Are you guys for real ??

I have always been an advocate of "hold on & wait & see what happens when this hits Holodeck".
    Except this time...

With eigtht active toons on the go, it'll cost me 1,760cp to equip them with a pack each... or almost FOUR and a half months worth of my Stipend..... This has got to be the biggest "oops" in pricing ever... I'm hoping this is just an oversight - misprice - or omission of "account-wide-unlock"... If it isn't then guess who won't be buying any when they arrive on the Holodeck C-store ??

Everybody.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    SatansHell wrote: »
    Aye, it makes more and more sense why Dan left, he saw the plans that were ahead and got out on good terms while he could. :(

The dude went to Zynga. That's like trading the Chicago Outfit for the Gambinos. :D

ETA: And no, I am not seriously comparing Cryptic to Al Capone. Humor aside, Cryptic has not performed extortion, smuggling, or murder, and have not had their vault opened by Geraldo Rivera. Zygna, on the other hand.... :D
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    T-Galloway wrote:
    Just to gain a little perspective; sure, the cost for some of the c-store items have gone up, but I think it's worth bearing in mind that the game is going FREE to play.

You're missing one important point: The experience you are having on Tribble right now is the experience they are planning for GOLD players, subscribers who are already paying $15/month. Also, one of the main complaints right now is that you need to grind to get a ship, while previously you were given a ship for free on rank-up. This is a significant change, especially when coupled with the much more limited Dilithium resource needed to buy all ships.