test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hypercritical Jerk will review your missions...

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    LOL! Wow....

You must not have liked one of his pal's missions or something, Boglejam! :D You know how these kids can get...he's going to be telling all his "besties" on Facebook how horrible of a person you are! :D LOL!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    LOL, you bad, bad, man. Wow indeed.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, thats me - The King of Evil. I was topped out at Prince of Evil but, following the death of Osama, the top spot finally opened up. :D

I was 2/3 of the way done with Gave Peace A Chance and it has started storming here. Knocked my power off and I hadn't saved the review in progress. D'oh. I'll have to drop and re-do it now to get my notes right.

Karma I guess for all of my evilness! ha.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    GHeston wrote:
    Who died and made you god? I don't care how good you think you are, but from the way you come off, I wouldn't want you as even a friend. Who told you you were the definitive? Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind. - Data. Maybe you should dump the superiority complex you have and come back to reality. And no, I don't care what you think or feel about what I've just said. So, if you want to be a "hyper-critical jerk", go right ahead. Just stay at the kiddie table where you belong! I play this game for fun, not to win over child minded jerks who take it a little too seriously. I won't respond to anything you reply, so don't bother. Just go away and leave the people who come here for fun alone.

Did someone get his/her feelings hurt?
    I can't even find a review about your mission, so obviously you are just trolling.
    Go away!
    If someone is going to cry about a review, at the very least it should be someone who has been reviewed.

Besides, you don’t have to take Boglejams opinion to heart if you don’t want to, you have the right to disagree and keep whatever still in the mission.

It's nice enough that he is taking time to help out.

I can personally read my text a thousand times and not notice mistakes, which would be obvious to an eye from the outside looking in.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    These are player made missions, which are suppose to be fun and entertaining. These are not missions designed by professionals. Also, the tools we have to use are not the same tools that the game designers and developer use.

When I review a mission, I try to look at the overall goal the author was trying to do. I think about their understanding of the workbench.

I grade on the following criteria:

Is it a good story?
    Is this intended to be a one time story or a mosaic?
    What type of story elements are there; action, drama, or dialog.
    What is the intended audience the story is designed to be played with?

I personally prefer more story driven show. To me the action has to fit some purpose in the story. If the author intended the show to be a mindless grind, I may not prefer that, but I will not give the story or mission a bad rating because I prefer something else. Some people like mindless grinds.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    (sigh)

If you don't see any point in it, then by all means don't ask me to review your missions. :D

Since I am completely upfront about the process, I only accept requests from authors to review their own missions, and authors continue to ask for reviews, the service will continue to be provided.

Seriously, is there a full moon this week or something? We are 28 or 29 pages into this now and the only people who have complained are people who haven't submitted anything for review?!!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    boglejam wrote: »
    Yeah, thats me - The King of Evil. I was topped out at Prince of Evil but, following the death of Osama, the top spot finally opened up. :D

I was 2/3 of the way done with Gave Peace A Chance and it has started storming here. Knocked my power off and I hadn't saved the review in progress. D'oh. I'll have to drop and re-do it now to get my notes right.

Karma I guess for all of my evilness! ha.

I hope your not in that area of the country being devastated by these tornadoes. I know it
    stinks when you have a Foundry mission in progress and you lose it :mad:. Maybe down the road
    we will be able to continue community authored missions where we left off instead of having
    to repeat them from the start. Most of us, especially the authors, appreciate your reviews
    regardless of the rating. The in game reviews balance out for the overall community opinion
    and it's always good in my view, to look at suggestions, regardless if you decide to use them
    or not.

All hail the King of Evil, lol
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I hope your not in that area of the country being devastated by these tornadoes. I know it
    stinks when you have a Foundry mission in progress and you lose it :mad:. Maybe down the road
    we will be able to continue community authored missions where we left off instead of having
    to repeat them from the start. Most of us, especially the authors, appreciate your reviews
    regardless of the rating. The in game reviews balance out for the overall community opinion
    and it's always good in my view, to look at suggestions, regardless if you decide to use them
    or not.

All hail the King of Evil, lol

Yeah, I'm in central Oklahoma, so last night was a bit tense. Luckily, no damage at my house and all of my family avoided a trip to Oz, so I'll re-review Gave Peace a Chance tonight and move onto the next mission after that one. Hopefully I will be able to finish up the last few requests this week.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I'm in central Oklahoma, so last night was a bit tense. Luckily, no damage at my house and all of my family avoided a trip to Oz, so I'll re-review Gave Peace a Chance tonight and move onto the next mission after that one. Hopefully I will be able to finish up the last few requests this week.

Wow! Glad to hear you and your family are ok! I'll bet it was tense!

(On a side note, the title is now Give Peace a Chance Part II, i think people are getting confused)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wow! Glad to hear you and your family are ok! I'll bet it was tense!

(On a side note, the title is now Give Peace a Chance Part II, i think people are getting confused)

Thanks!

People couldn't figure out the progression from Give to Gave? Wow. Thats kind of scary. I'm heading over to restart it now.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks you for the review and I am glad you pay so much attention to the details. Do give my second part a try, "Gave Peace a Chance"

3 Stars. I liked the story. I didn't like two pointless map transitions that could have been handled as popups and the bridge fight has made it into my top 5 worst fights of all time list. Here are the nitpicks:

Give Peace a Chance Part II / 3 Stars

Mission Grant text: Fine. Destination in the tracker. Just a recommendation: Maybe a
    little OOC text to remind players of the events in part I? I didn't play them back to
    back, and I imagine some others might not.

The "Begin: " popup at Defara still lists the mission as Gave Peace a Chance. Other than
    that, I like that. Keeps it inline with how Cryptic missions are listed at the planets.

Sci BO POPUP: several fed ships in orbit. ok. and I see "Hail the Galaxy" as a mission
    goal. It would be more immersive if the BO gave me some reason to hail the ship. Seeing
    it listed as a goal is fine, but why that one ship and not the others?

Same thing with the Defara guy popup. His little welcome could end with something as
    lame as telling you your ship has permission to approach the planet and to enter orbit,
    which is a lot more immersive then him just saying hi and then having to look over at the
    mission tracker to figure out what my next goal is.

For some reason when I beamed down to Defara I wasn't allowed to pick my team members..it
    just went straight to map transition.

Gorn ambassador doesn't need a capital T in thank you after the [Rank], opening. Thres
    needs a comma before and after it in the next to last sentence.

OK, and now I beam to the Galaxy? So why did I beam to Defera? Just so these guys can
    tell me thanks for the ride? Not that I don't like loading screens or anything - but
    they could have done that via popup as they were leaving my ship, meaning one less map
    load for the player and accomplishing the same thing.

And I beam to the Galaxy bridge just to be told to go to deck 17? Again - I love me some
    loading screens, but couldn't the galaxy just as easily beam me straight to the
    proper location rather than have me go to the bridge for a popup and then an elevator
    ride and yet another of my favorite - a loading screen!

And her confirming the correct elevator is kinda insulting. Its the glowie one. I got
    it. It'd be better if I got a popup from my own tac BO maybe giving me some useful Gorn
    interrogation strategies or something. Much better than getting an elevator confirmation
    anyway.

After-interrogation popup could be a bit more enlightening, too. Maybe the BO could say
    something along the lines of thats all we will get from him, and make up some story
    reason to return to your ship. As it is, you interrogate and then a popup appears saying
    "Return to your ship?" Well, yeah. I guess. If there isn't anything else to do or say. Seems kind of jarring.

Warning satellite is labeled as Object. The art asset can't be renamed?

Stabilize the ensign. Why give me the option if I can't actually do it?

Bridge fight: Newest member of the top 5 worst fights ever list. First of all, you skin Roms with Gorn costumes so we can deduce who the gorn are working for because they use thalaron weapons now. That is fine. Good way to reveal who the Gorn are collaborating with. Only problem is now I am having a fight in a very tiny area against a thalaron employing mob that has two medics in it! Oh, and since the Gorn are reskinned Roms with generic "Gorn Lieutenant" titles, you can't really tell who the medics are unless you happen to catch sight of one while he is rezzing the other. Looks like the mob consists of a sub-lt medic and a centurion medic, a scientist, and last but not least - some guy with A LOT of thalaron mines. Meanwhile, I die three times from thalaron (should be called fail-a-ron) poisoning because I can't actually get outside of the AOE because the fight is on a bridge. Not fun. Not fun on normal. Can't even imagine what it'd be like with the difficulty slider cranked up.

"Battlestations!" and "We'll see about that!" and other author-provided dialog for MY toon is something I have a problem with. Players have an idea how our toons talk/behave and when you make mine say things that are dissimilar with how I imagine them talking, it kind of ruins the thing for me. I like it better when authors advance the story without making my toon their toon. Or by making them say very generic things.

Space fight against Gorn: Nice job on spawning the bad guys aways back. Hate it when authors spawn me into a fight.

Oh wait. Never mind. You hadn't spawned me into a fight YET. After the first fight you do spawn me into a fight with a Scimitar and 3 birds of prey. Argh.

Almost a 4 star mission. That crazy bridge fight, the extra loading screens, and the fight-spawn added up. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    3 Stars. I liked the story. I didn't like two pointless map transitions that could have been handled as popups and the bridge fight has made it into my top 5 worst fights of all time list. Here are the nitpicks:

Give Peace a Chance Part II / 3 Stars

Mission Grant text: Fine. Destination in the tracker. Just a recommendation: Maybe a
    little OOC text to remind players of the events in part I? I didn't play them back to
    back, and I imagine some others might not.

The "Begin: " popup at Defara still lists the mission as Gave Peace a Chance. Other than
    that, I like that. Keeps it inline with how Cryptic missions are listed at the planets.

Whoops! Forgot to fix that lol!

Sci BO POPUP: several fed ships in orbit. ok. and I see "Hail the Galaxy" as a mission
    goal. It would be more immersive if the BO gave me some reason to hail the ship. Seeing
    it listed as a goal is fine, but why that one ship and not the others?

Well, maybe it's a little too subtle, but the Galaxy and Captain Brice both appear in part 1.

Same thing with the Defara guy popup. His little welcome could end with something as
    lame as telling you your ship has permission to approach the planet and to enter orbit,
    which is a lot more immersive then him just saying hi and then having to look over at the
    mission tracker to figure out what my next goal is.

II see your point. It takes you out of the mission for a second to check where to go.

For some reason when I beamed down to Defara I wasn't allowed to pick my team members..it
    just went straight to map transition.

Don't understand why but some maps you can't select. Maybe because there was no combat?
    Gorn ambassador doesn't need a capital T in thank you after the [Rank], opening. Thres
    needs a comma before and after it in the next to last sentence.

Always miss something lol thanks!

OK, and now I beam to the Galaxy? So why did I beam to Defera? Just so these guys can
    tell me thanks for the ride? Not that I don't like loading screens or anything - but
    they could have done that via popup as they were leaving my ship, meaning one less map
    load for the player and accomplishing the same thing.

And I beam to the Galaxy bridge just to be told to go to deck 17? Again - I love me some
    loading screens, but couldn't the galaxy just as easily beam me straight to the
    proper location rather than have me go to the bridge for a popup and then an elevator
    ride and yet another of my favorite - a loading screen!

My thinking was you are on the bridge when it is undamaged and everyone is at their station. When you go back to the bridge later it is heavily damaged and BOFFs have been injured or killed. I thought it would give the damaged version more impact if you saw everything pretty before the gorn go up and wreck it.

And her confirming the correct elevator is kinda insulting. Its the glowie one. I got
    it. It'd be better if I got a popup from my own tac BO maybe giving me some useful Gorn
    interrogation strategies or something. Much better than getting an elevator confirmation
    anyway.

After-interrogation popup could be a bit more enlightening, too. Maybe the BO could say
    something along the lines of thats all we will get from him, and make up some story
    reason to return to your ship. As it is, you interrogate and then a popup appears saying
    "Return to your ship?" Well, yeah. I guess. If there isn't anything else to do or say. Seems kind of jarring.

Rereading that with those comments in mind, you are correct. I didn't transition that very well.

Warning satellite is labeled as Object. The art asset can't be renamed?

There was no option to name it.

Stabilize the ensign. Why give me the option if I can't actually do it?

My thinking here was not to leave an injured person w/o making it an objective for the map.

Bridge fight: Newest member of the top 5 worst fights ever list. First of all, you skin Roms with Gorn costumes so we can deduce who the gorn are working for because they use thalaron weapons now. That is fine. Good way to reveal who the Gorn are collaborating with. Only problem is now I am having a fight in a very tiny area against a thalaron employing mob that has two medics in it! Oh, and since the Gorn are reskinned Roms with generic "Gorn Lieutenant" titles, you can't really tell who the medics are unless you happen to catch sight of one while he is rezzing the other. Looks like the mob consists of a sub-lt medic and a centurion medic, a scientist, and last but not least - some guy with A LOT of thalaron mines. Meanwhile, I die three times from thalaron (should be called fail-a-ron) poisoning because I can't actually get outside of the AOE because the fight is on a bridge. Not fun. Not fun on normal. Can't even imagine what it'd be like with the difficulty slider cranked up.

Yea it's a tough fight. It was supposed to be. I wanted it to have some impact and not just be another gorn captain fight.

"Battlestations!" and "We'll see about that!" and other author-provided dialog for MY toon is something I have a problem with. Players have an idea how our toons talk/behave and when you make mine say things that are dissimilar with how I imagine them talking, it kind of ruins the thing for me. I like it better when authors advance the story without making my toon their toon. Or by making them say very generic things.

Thought I took those out, I'll have to check that.

Space fight against Gorn: Nice job on spawning the bad guys aways back. Hate it when authors spawn me into a fight.

Oh wait. Never mind. You hadn't spawned me into a fight YET. After the first fight you do spawn me into a fight with a Scimitar and 3 birds of prey. Argh.

Yea it depends where you finish the first battle. Also, it isn't really a Scimitar in one player. I skinned a battleship as one for story purposes but it would only be a scimitar if there was a team playing this mission.

Almost a 4 star mission. That crazy bridge fight, the extra loading screens, and the fight-spawn added up. Sorry.

No need to be sorry. I am asking for your input. :D This is only my second created mission and so far the reviews for both have been pretty positive. Thanks for the review, and I look forward to your input on my third mission!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yea it's a tough fight. It was supposed to be. I wanted it to have some impact and not just be another gorn captain fight.

I get that you wanted to make the bridge fight difficult, but I really just found it more annoying than difficult. The medics would rez each other and I kept dying because there isn't enough room to escape the thalaron effects. I'm not dying because they are bad-@ss enemies, I'm dying because an AOE weapon is being used in a closet that I can't get out of by enemies who won't stay dead. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Or... you could shoot the thalaron mine before it goes off.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Boglejam, I've got 2 follow ups to Plato's Grandchildren:

Plato's Requiem
    Plato's Abrogation
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Or... you could shoot the thalaron mine before it goes off.

Yeah, and if I could see it under the feet of my 5 toons and the 4 or 5 rommie-gorn toons all stuffed into the forward half of a galaxy bridge, I'd do that. :D

And it really isn't that big of an issue for me since I play on normal. Die/respawn/continue doesn't have a negative effect for me. I'm not exactly the worlds greatest ground fighter either. I'm sure a ton of guys cut thru them like butter.

I just found it to be less than a pleasant experience and wanted to give the author my impression since that is kind of the point of asking me to review the mission and all.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Updated Schedule:

A Day For The Assassin / Kuhr
    Day of Doom Part 1 / Pinecone3
    Spawn of Medusa / Duke-of-Rock
    Two Cloaks, One Dagger / RogueEnterprise
    Descent Into Madness / FutureCaptain
    Plato's Requiem / Raptorwalker

Raptorwalker: I only take the requests one at a time. Once I knock out Requiem, you can throw in a new request for Abrogation. Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hey Boglejam, when did you acquire the mission for the part 2 of "Give Peace a Chance?" Some of the things you mentioned I had already changed before you posted your review. Were there 2 of the Rom gorn using thaloron mines in the one you played? That was how I had it originally, but a few days ago I weakened that spawn so there was only one gorn using the mines. Also, someone had mentioned that the Rom captain I used looked like Hakeev from the Cloaked Intentions so I had changed that also. Not asking for a re-review but I'm curious if you played the old version.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hey Boglejam, when did you acquire the mission for the part 2 of "Give Peace a Chance?" Some of the things you mentioned I had already changed before you posted your review. Were there 2 of the Rom gorn using thaloron mines in the one you played? That was how I had it originally, but a few days ago I weakened that spawn so there was only one gorn using the mines. Also, someone had mentioned that the Rom captain I used looked like Hakeev from the Cloaked Intentions so I had changed that also. Not asking for a re-review but I'm curious if you played the old version.

I started the mission on Monday when it was listed as Gave Peace a Chance. Power went out mid review so I was going to come back and complete it Tuesday night. Tuesday night I spent hiding under my bed. Came back to it Wednesday, saw that you had listed it changed, so I dropped Gave and picked up Give II. So - however Give II was yesterday, was how I played it out. I don't think there was overlapping Thalaron, and the Rom guy looked more like a TNG rom commander more than Hakeev if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Franklin Drake Must Die" has had its final major tweaks until Foundry tech provides new options, and is ready for review please.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Gotcha! I'll be looking for your review.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kuhr wrote: »
    Author: Kuhr
    Title: A Day For The Assassin
    Project ID: ST-HNDDNZF3B
    Allegiance: Starfleet
    Level: 31+

This is a 2 or 3 part series. Part 1...You are ordered by Starfleet to stop and detain a Ferengi ship that is delivering Romulan Ale to different Romulan astroid colonies set up by the Federation due to the Hobus event. This ale is making many Romulans sick. Your mission is to stop the next delivery....

Look in search & make sure your setup for reviewing in order to find it.

This mission should take about half an hour to play through or a little more. Didn't want to make too long since it's my first one.

I 2 starred it. The premise is interesting and you have a good grasp on how to work with the foundry. You need more spelling and grammar help than I can give in a review thou!

Here are the nitpicks:

A Day for the Assasin / 2 stars

Mission granting text: Poor grammar! we help establish should be helped establish.

Destination not listed in mission tracker = bad.

BO popup on entering the system. Bad sentence structure and were is not the same as we're.

Rom popup: hear isn't the same thing as here. schedule should be scheduled. Their is not the same as there.

OK, I'm going to have to stop correcting spelling and grammar in this review or it will take too long to finish the mission, sorry.

Everyone in the holding cell area is named "UGC Contact". Give them generic names instead of just the asset label.

The spelling and grammar in this mission is very bad.

Not sure why you beamed us to a ready room just to get a couple of popups? You could have returned to the normal space mode and given us the same popups without the ready room.

Getting back to the colony is a long drawn out pain because you put in the nebula interference effect, which disables full impulse.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I 2 starred it. The premise is interesting and you have a good grasp on how to work with the foundry. You need more spelling and grammar help than I can give in a review thou!

Here are the nitpicks:

A Day for the Assasin / 2 stars

Mission granting text: Poor grammar! we help establish should be helped establish.

Destination not listed in mission tracker = bad.

BO popup on entering the system. Bad sentence structure and were is not the same as we're.

Rom popup: hear isn't the same thing as here. schedule should be scheduled. Their is not the same as there.

OK, I'm going to have to stop correcting spelling and grammar in this review or it will take too long to finish the mission, sorry.

Everyone in the holding cell area is named "UGC Contact". Give them generic names instead of just the asset label.

The spelling and grammar in this mission is very bad.

Not sure why you beamed us to a ready room just to get a couple of popups? You could have returned to the normal space mode and given us the same popups without the ready room.

Getting back to the colony is a long drawn out pain because you put in the nebula interference effect, which disables full impulse.

Thanks for the review. I will make the changes asap:D
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This sounds good I need super picky reviews as i'm super picky about my missions I have 5 right now the first one i made was "Old Past, New Future" the next 4 are part of a series starting with "Renmara's Game" then "Running the Gauntlet" , "The Chase", and finally part 4 is "Are We Done Yet?" I look forward to your reviews!
    @handle is, @antman9173 :)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Antman - I'll add one of those to the to-do list but I only review one per author. Then the author can request the next review. Keeps me from stacking up on one guys 8 mission story arc and gives the authors a chance to fix anything before I get to their next mission.

On a side note - whenever I see someone new has posted in this thread, I get a little nervous before I come and look at the entry. There have been a couple of weird posts in here this last week. Thankfully, yours wasn't one of them.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    np start with "old past, new future" thats been up the longest.. ill request my story series one by one as u review... :)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Happy for you to give mine a shot mate:

TITLE : Alpha Shock
    AUTHOR : P90James
    CODE : ST-HRT4YPETV

Cheers
    James
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    At one point I was down to 4 left! Argh. :D

Franklin Drake Must Die / syberghost
    Old Past, New Future / antman9173
    Alpha Shock / P90James
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Franklin Drake Must Die / syberghost
    Old Past, New Future / antman9173
    Alpha Shock / P90James

Keep going dude. Your doing great.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Too many customers. It's a great problem to have. :)