test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Captain_Zero Is PURE AWESOMENESS Thread

Comments

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I really enjoyed that Aztec 4 episode Dr. Who I watched earlier while you were watching it with commerciels. :P I couldn't remember the second one you mentioned but I can catch up. :cool: I hope you enjoyed your mini Dr. Who marathon.
  • captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jcsww wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that Aztec 4 episode Dr. Who I watched earlier while you were watching it with commerciels. :P I couldn't remember the second one you mentioned but I can catch up. :cool: I hope you enjoyed your mini Dr. Who marathon.

Tomb of the Cybermen? I thought that one was good, too. I liked how it was entered around the corruption and consequences of desiring ultimat power, or at least that's what I got fromit anyway.
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
    edited February 2013
    I have some free time this afternoon so I'll have to check that one out. Pizza first though! :D

One thing I like about a lot of old series are the references they have. Entertaining is one thing but there are so many factors that make classic TV better than a lot of the TRIBBLE we see on TV today. Thank goodness for Netflix because I couldn't sit through all of those commercials.

Edit: Netflix doesn't have that one. :( I'll have to find it somewhere else.
    edited February 2013
    I have some free time this afternoon so I'll have to check that one out. Pizza first though! :D

One thing I like about a lot of old series are the references they have. Entertaining is one thing but there are so many factors that make classic TV better than a lot of the TRIBBLE we see on TV today. Thank goodness for Netflix because I couldn't sit through all of those commercials.

There's a lot of life lessons embedded in classic television, lessons that still need to be embedded in television today - particularly cartoons in my opinion. Most modern (modern being last 15 years for sake of discussion) cartoons I've seen have gradually drifted away from teaching important life lessons and turned to, for lack of better terms here, idiocracy, stupidity, violence, and modern annimation to keep audiences drawn in. Then general vibe I get from this type of programing is that it promotes the youth watching it into beliving stupidity in public and violence is all right, and it desenitizes the audience. I can go on and on about the "quality" of modern programing, but it's essentially the same the same argument slightly augmented to fit a different style of programing.
  • hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited February 2013
    Ohhhhh man, I've been in the habit of watching MST3K while I've been working lately. WOW! Some of the old shorts they show are just ridiculous. I'm not even sure I can describe the last one I saw without offending someone. I'll try anyway. :P

A guy was trying to find inspiration to write a song. He was a "good man", so an angel was sent to help him. The angel gave his wife a vision of a remodeled kitchen with "modern Westinghouse appliances" and a big "red, kitchen telephone!" It was pretty much exactly the stereotypical view people have on the ideals of the 50's. BLAHHH!!! And no, I have no idea how this was supposed to help the guy write a song. It made no sense. By the end they were singing about their appliances though, so... :confused:
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    captan2er0 wrote: »
    There's a lot of life lessons embedded in classic television, lessons that still need to be embedded in television today - particularly cartoons in my opinion. Most modern (modern being last 15 years for sake of discussion) cartoons I've seen have gradually drifted away from teaching important life lessons and turned to, for lack of better terms here, idiocracy, stupidity, violence, and modern annimation to keep audiences drawn in. Then general vibe I get from this type of programing is that it promotes the youth watching it into beliving stupidity in public and violence is all right, and it desenitizes the audience. I can go on and on about the "quality" of modern programing, but it's essentially the same the same argument slightly augmented to fit a different style of programing.

I definitely agree! One of the things I loved about Animaniacs was that they always tried to mix in some history and educational skits. The humor in those cartoons was also non-offensive and didn't condone utter stupidity. Going back to the long ago of the 1980's, a lot of shows from that era, cartoons included, really had some great messages and morals to them.
    hortwort wrote: »
    Ohhhhh man, I've been in the habit of watching MST3K while I've been working lately. WOW! Some of the old shorts they show are just ridiculous. I'm not even sure I can describe the last one I saw without offending someone. I'll try anyway. :P

A guy was trying to find inspiration to write a song. He was a "good man", so an angel was sent to help him. The angel gave his wife a vision of a remodeled kitchen with "modern Westinghouse appliances" and a big "red, kitchen telephone!" It was pretty much exactly the stereotypical view people have on the ideals of the 50's. BLAHHH!!! And no, I have no idea how this was supposed to help the guy write a song. It made no sense. By the end they were singing about their appliances though, so... :confused:

Poorly hidden or just blunt advertising. It's reasons like this as to why I can't sit through cable television. Commercial after commercial and just about every show now is pushing some sort fo brand or product.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Transformers G1 is a perfect example of an 80's cartoons with plenty of good messages through out.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
    edited February 2013
    Poorly hidden or just blunt advertising. It's reasons like this as to why I can't sit through cable television. Commercial after commercial and just about every show now is pushing some sort fo brand or product.

That's why I get up and go do something between commercials. Get food, pester my dog, etc. Gives me motivation to get up and move around. Having a pause button typically doesn't do me any good as I tend to like to watch things straight through without pausing.

Though on the topic of subliminal advertising, I reckon I'm unintentionally promoting the Freightliner Type C bus with my avatar and signature. :P
    edited March 2013
    That's why I get up and go do something between commercials. Get food, pester my dog, etc. Gives me motivation to get up and move around. Having a pause button typically doesn't do me any good as I tend to like to watch things straight through without pausing.

Though on the topic of subliminal advertising, I reckon I'm unintentionally promoting the Freightliner Type C bus with my avatar and signature. :P

I like pause more because it means I can stop it as soon as I need a stretch, food, drink, etc. instead of having to wait. Commercials also tend to interupt at the worst possible poiints so I can even get up when things seem not as interesting and go grab something without even pausing. Tomorrow while waiting on shipments to come in, I have the Doctor Who, Tomb Of The Cyberman to sit and watch. I grabbed more ice cream and some kettle chips on the way home just so I've got munchies. :D

If I ever end up buying a school bus, I know exactly who to blame! :P
    edited March 2013
    Tomorrow while waiting on shipments to come in, I have the Doctor Who, Tomb Of The Cyberman to sit and watch. I grabbed more ice cream and some kettle chips on the way home just so I've got munchies. :D

I think you'll like Tomb of the Cybermen if you liked The Aztecs. I'd probably have gotten more out of Tomb of the Cybermen if I hadn't've sat down and watched The Aztecs for the previous three hours leading up to the premier here, but I do plan on rewatching it whenever I get my tape back from my teacher to see if I can get anything different out of it the second time through.
    edited March 2013
    Tomb of the Cybermen? I thought that one was good, too. I liked how it was entered around the corruption and consequences of desiring ultimat power, or at least that's what I got fromit anyway.

I took the time to watch it late this morning and really enjuoyed it. Especially the crack about Jamie's dress. :D For black and white on DVD, the quality was better than I had expected.
    edited March 2013
    I took the time to watch it late this morning and really enjuoyed it. Especially the crack about Jamie's dress. :D For black and white on DVD, the quality was better than I had expected.

I loved it where the Doctor and Jamie were holding hands right befor they entered the tomb. That segement cracked me up.
    edited March 2013
    I loved it where the Doctor and Jamie were holding hands right befor they entered the tomb. That segement cracked me up.

Definitely! One of the things I liked abut how the Doctor played the whole situation was leting... Eric, I think (the bald guy) feel smarter than he was and playing off of that to his advantage.
    edited March 2013

Did someone mention subliminal advertising? :p I wonder how much Cookie Crisp can fit inside the Tardis? Ah HA! My flaw in stealing Cookie Christ has been using a van and disguises when all I ever needed to out wit the Cookie Cop was a Tardis!
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
    edited March 2013
    Would someone like to do my network stuff I want to go get done? I have very little motivation to do much of anything today :P
    edited March 2013
    Ugh! I ate too much Chinese. General Tao, you are the victor today!
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
  • senshibat01senshibat01 Member Posts: 11,292 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Dao of late chow
    of Tao may be solved
    with Dragon tea

the zen or harmony
    needs to see a nice plum juice spiced

a nice danish homemade pan treat in the makins..
    take a pancake mix add own fruit brown /white sugar ginger butter
    spread in low baking tray cut into squares instead of rounds
    stack melt butter and preserve glaze on top w more brown sugar.. :)

Consult the Holy Book of Antioch Cooking Broth Maynard
    ok but when it goes i nthe wood stove try to look out for greese fires <embarashed singed treat>
    e81d2f2c7ce74e61cba28154fcac4cc2.jpg
    Tsuki ni Kawatte Oshioki Yo
    edited March 2013
    I saw something neat I think Z would like. Meatloaf cupcakes with garlic mashed potato icing. :D
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    edited March 2013
    My Bridge Commander and Elite Force discs are not in their boxes. :( Those are going to be a major challenge to find and I have absolutely no clue where to even start.
    edited March 2013
    What happened to winter?! It's already 54F outside. :(
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    edited March 2013
    What is big, yellow, comes in the morning, and brightens a mother's day?

A school bus! :P
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    edited March 2013
    What is big, yellow, comes in the morning, and brightens a mother's day?

A school bus! :P

A flashlight. *nods*
    edited March 2013
    A flashlight. *nods*

Are you saying you are a flashlight with a drivers seat and enough room to transport a small army of students?
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    edited March 2013
    Here's to hoping next weeks patch returns the Romulan Flame Thrower to the Rep Store.
    *chugs Romulan Ale in celebration*
    edited March 2013
    Happy Pi Day!
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    edited March 2013
    This thread of PURE AWESOMENESS is nearing 2 years old. :eek: How shall we celebrate? Does anyone think roast Hort with chocolate chip cookie stuffing for a pre Easter seco d anniversary feast is a suitable dish to have on the menu? ;)
    <
    > <
    > <
    >