VOTE: Get rid of ARC and get our downloads back

Comments

• Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's not required to play the game, yet people who don't have an older client are forced to download it now, without any other options available to them if they go through official channels. That in itself makes it an undesirable piece of software for me.

For me, it's the principle of the thing: I'm having something forced on me that I don't want and technically don't need, while there are other ( easier ) methods available, but the company insists on forcing it on me. Why? I don't know. If they'd made Arc a choice along with the other download methods, I wouldn't mind it half as much.

Nobody's forcing anything on anyone. We have a choice to either download it to download PWI or not download it and not download PWI. I personally so not see any valid reason why PWE should not have the right to keep a tight record of who is downloading and using software that they own be it for security or marketing purposes or consolidating their user databases for all of their games. In my opinion this may actually run more efficient on their end as well as reduce abuses from users. Arc is nothing but a front end launcher for PWE's suite of games. Nothing more and nothing less at this point.

I did not want to comment on Arc until I had some experience with it myself. I had no issues downloading, installing, logging into it with one of my PWI accounts, and launching PWI from it or from the element.exe application itself.

ARC is required to download PWI and any other game that PWE owns but is not required to play these games.

I installed ARC and PWI on a netbook with 2 GB RAM and ran the game. I noticed ARC does stay active in the system tray but I right clicked on it and exited the application so that it no longer runs. I was able to launch PWI from the element.exe file without ARC running with no issues. I uninstalled ARC and it has an option to keep all installed PWE games after ARC is uninstalled. With ARC gone PWI launches and operates fine from the element.exe file the exact same way it does with the PWI version on my other laptop that wasn't downloaded with ARC - PWI launcher/auto patcher and all. No need to do anything fancy with thumb drives and running in virtual machines or whatever.

For all those who are demanding a direct download for PWI and their other games, ARC is a front end for just that. ARC directly links to PWE download servers internally. For the life of me I can't see that as a problem unless I wanted a source for a **** version of a client.

PWE has every legal right to control how their software is distributed and used.

Not irrelevant. These versions of windows are the ones they should focus on. b:bye

We don't need a stupid program that does no **** to run on our computers consuming our memory and cpu for nothing.

I ran ARC fine in the background with PWI running on a netbook with 2 GB of RAM. If it's processes are putting such a load on your CPU or memory then I hate to say this but the game itself is going to be a real ***** to play anyway regardless of whether ARC is there or not. Just sayin...
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Most of the older clients have been disabled by PWI. I guess the installers link directly to their servers, rather than everything being packaged within the installer.

I think that's pretty mean of them to do that.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Most of the older clients have been disabled by PWI. I guess the installers link directly to their servers, rather than everything being packaged within the installer.

I think that's pretty mean of them to do that.
    the direct downloads, yes. the installers that are 6gb cannot be disabed, because they can even be used offline
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Tested here. Downloaded with ARC just fine. It creates PWI_en folder in the same folder as ARC folder is. You can go to that folder, then Launcher and create a shortcut to it, no need to run ARC (ANNOYING RUINOUS ****)

My personal comment: Arc aint bad. Bad thing it doesnt create direct shortcuts to your game and you gotta do it manually. Other than that its just another Download manager like any other.
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ARC is required to download PWI and any other game that PWE owns but is not required to play these games.

I installed ARC and PWI on a netbook with 2 GB RAM and ran the game. I noticed ARC does stay active in the system tray but I right clicked on it and exited the application so that it no longer runs. I was able to launch PWI from the element.exe file without ARC running with no issues. I uninstalled ARC and it has an option to keep all installed PWE games after ARC is uninstalled. With ARC gone PWI launches and operates fine from the element.exe file the exact same way it does with the PWI version on my other laptop that wasn't downloaded with ARC - PWI launcher/auto patcher and all. No need to do anything fancy with thumb drives and running in virtual machines or whatever.

For all those who are demanding a direct download for PWI and their other games, ARC is a front end for just that. ARC directly links to PWE download servers internally. For the life of me I can't see that as a problem unless I wanted a source for a **** version of a client.
    Well, thank you for that, that was my #1 concern, and now it's alleviated :D
    As long as I can get rid of ARC after downloading PW and having PW still run fine, it's an annoying extra step, but much better than having to keep it :D
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, thank you for that, that was my #1 concern, and now it's alleviated :D
    As long as I can get rid of ARC after downloading PW and having PW still run fine, it's an annoying extra step, but much better than having to keep it :D

You're welcome. It wasn't that big of a deal to get rid of it. After reading through some of the major complaints and horror stories of arc I never expected to be able to uninstall it and keep PWI installed and untethered. It is an extra step, make that 2 steps (1 - to exit arc as it is running in the background and 2 - the actual uninstall step) but that took less than 2 minutes. After I did this I would be hard pressed to realize Arc was even used to install PWI because PWI and the old PWI launcher (with the element.exe application) work just the same as it did without Arc.

What was kind of amusing was a QQ form PWE had during the uninstall process wanting input as to why I was uninstalling it. Some of the listed selections included just about everything people are complaining about in the forums. I elected to skip that and complete the uninstall process.

I use CCleaner to clean out my registry to get rid of any references to arc there as well.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2013
    genotypist wrote: »
    As a final note, PWE is continuing to gather feedback regarding Arc. Please let us know of any technical problems in our Technical Issues subforum. In its current implementation, we're aware that Arc is not providing as much of a benefit to users as we'd envisioned, and we're hiring assets + pouring a lot of work into making using Arc worthwhile. Trust me when I say that we've got major plans for PWI through Arc and have not simply abandoned it because of its age. You guys and gals, your enthusiasm for this game, are always at the top of our priorities in discussions.

Suffice it to say, there are legitimate reasons why we cannot simply go back to our previous distribution methods. The biggest hurdles we face is compromising between players' demands for change and improvements with players who prefer the status quo. We cannot please everybody, but we're putting our efforts into improving the game as a whole. We believe Arc is the way to do that.
    While ARC odes offer some nice features, I just don't understand why you are unable to support the previous download methods. Not Supporting Pando, I get. Not Supporting the Direct Download method because of server loads and bandwidth, I get. Not supporting the torrent method though, is just silly IMO. You get a few good seeds out there, and it can greatly reduce the load on your distribution servers; and it's the most reliable and secure method available. (The latter has been proven many times over the past 4 years.)

From what I understand right now, the ARC method is basically the equivalent of the classic Direct Download straight from the Distribution servers, or a hybrid Pando method. (Pando is basically like a torrent, but I believe you have to additionally pay for licensing and the cloud distribution servers.)
    I need to look into ARC more, but life has really been kicking me in the *** lately.

In any case, I still see absolutely no reason why most of the good torrent links for v699 were killed by PWE. Basically you're telling us to F-off, use ARC or GTFO. Which makes me a lot less likely to do anything that supports PWE as a whole.

This poll is about choice.
    I can understand limitations on bandwidth and distribution servers. I work with **** like that.
    I just don't understand why you would forcefully alienate your users.

As it sits right now, 7.48% Love ARC. 92.52% are looking for the classic methods for client acquisition.
    If that doesn't speak volumes, I don't know what will.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Did some thread cleanup. Guys, please stick to the topic of the OP. And as always, if you have a question about the way a thread was moderated, please send me a PM.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Some people buy computers and do not give a damn about how they go or what sort of pollution they bring into our environment and how much effort it takes to get what they want.

Then you have people like me who do give a damn about how they go, and what sort of pollution they bring into our environment and how much effort it takes to get what we want.

After reading this Thank god I have multi copies of pre ARC on multi disks on multi computers for quick re install.
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Berthabusti - Heavens Tear
    Berthabusti - Heavens Tear Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Without ARC, no core connect. Period.

/keep
  • Doomsoul_ - Raging Tide
    Doomsoul_ - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    after reading most of these posts i think i will ditch PWI unless they bring back the old installers, a guy on a previous post stated that he/she understood why PWE shouldn't support pando, i do not. but thats probably because im a scrub.

I am really really annoyed with arc. On the PWI website it says PWI: sirens of war. On Arc it says descent. i think it is quite disappointing that they do not even have the right version on Arc for download and i think they should bring the old methods back because they were cool. I wish that the companies would also listen to their player base, as they cry out for what they want.

Played this game for 4 years on and off and i have always used direct download and have been playing the next day. I download again through arc this time. 4 days i have been downloading as it keeps restarting i just dont get/ like it and i want my dirrect downloader back please.

I completely fully support the old versions and i dont know why they couldnt have kept them. But after 4 days of downloading i feel that it is probably best i leave PWI behind and try to find a new MMO to play
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't see why we should be forced to download that program if we want to install/play PWE games that we don't already have when they can't even get it working properly. Keep it but make it optional so those who wish to use it can and those who don't aren't having it shoved down their throats.

This isn't a dirty movie and PWE isn't an actor, so let's cut the **** and give people some freedom.
  • Doomsoul_ - Raging Tide
    Doomsoul_ - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why do all people try to copy steam. :(
    if you want to do something like steam. why dont you put it on steam. WTF it only makes sense
  • SilversDream - Archosaur
    SilversDream - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I prefer the direct downloads, its easier. Arc just doesn't work for me.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PWE shouldn't cry not having enough people playing their games if they change the download formula too often... even more when they favor programs that are rather unreliable. b:surrender
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • imstretch
    imstretch Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    *Reposted here after a MOD sent me in the right direction to post*

Guys, Dev's, GM's,

After updating the new patch, i get Corrupt files, the only way to resolve this is to RE-install all pwi files as i found out....Now i get a ARC install that HAS to be installed to download PW.

What stupid half brain thought that would be a good idea?...

Do you Actually take coin off people and make them endure this utter **** and want them to like it? Are you that stupid?...

Please take your head out your **** and (brush your teeth, if you have to) put back to its original form as it used to be.

Thank you,

A disgruntled PWI player
  • XShadowshotx - Heavens Tear
    XShadowshotx - Heavens Tear Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When I got my new laptop a few weeks ago I decided to instal pwi from scratch with Arc to see what all the fuss was about and I understand why so many others including myself do not want it. I installed Arc started downloading pwi, and then installing. I went to bed while it was installing left my computer on over night and the progress bar didn't budge a single inch from when I started it at like 2am EST to when I got up around 11am. That is 9hrs of not installing pwi, yes it could have been associated with my laptop eventually going into sleep mode. But I haven't ever had an issue with this in the past with my older computers. Patches would always update and instal etc. I uninstalled Arc, got out my 500gb portable hard drive and copied and pasted pwi from my old laptop to my new one, and updated from there which only took an hour. I have never had an issue with you direct download process in the past and I don't see why we need to have this piece of unnecessary software to play the games you design.

So I plead to you GMs, and to the Devs get rid of it.
  • mysticfist75
    mysticfist75 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I always laugh when ppl say their computer is slowed down like hell because of a small tool/program like ARC. If it is really affecting your computer that much then maybe it is time for a new computer. i have several game manager clients and run a lot of games on it without any problem. Of course I don't use the same computer for 10 years. As a gamer I know I have to follow the new technologies and if i don't want to spend money for my hobby well then I don't have right to complain.
    Beside the game is free so be happy you can play it for free.
    If they decide you need a program like ARC well so be it.
    It is no big deal for a free game.

I downloaded and installed the game in less 30 min using ARC.
    The biggest problem was creating an account ... but once they fixed it the account was created in less than a minute.

I played a lot of games and trust me ARC is no big deal compared to some **** going around.
  • Chuck_smith - Sanctuary
    Chuck_smith - Sanctuary Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I managed to get PWI installed on my laptop, but really don't like it, please get rid of it, thanks.
    Sage barb in progress.
  • CaitlinDan - Heavens Tear
    CaitlinDan - Heavens Tear Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To everyone who wants to go back to the old download process, you could just obtain an older client online - there's loads of links (or torrents, or you could ask faction mates to Dropbox it or upload to some share website) to PWI clients (of older versions, of course), download that, and use manual patches to get it to v734.

edit:

I didn't see that OP faced a court order. Well perhaps they were tracking you since you've been vocal with your views. There's still quite a lot of torrents circulating online. The internet is kinda powerful that way, there's always some older version somewhere, if you're willing to do some digging.
    I copied Desdi's font color. It's too pretty. Forgive me Desdi b:thanks
  • tammaris7
    tammaris7 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I play 2 other PW games and what I like about direct dl is that I can move my games from
    PC to Laptop without issues. Now I want to try PWI and with it comes a "Origin & Steam" type app "Arc". So now if i want to move my games where and how do I do it. downloading every time is defo not an option for me.
  • WingedHali - Lost City
    WingedHali - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PWE really decided to shove a foot up their users' ... rears... this time...

I love PWI and was actually REALLY looking forward to start playing now that I will have time to again, but on our laptop with Win7 it starts up and can download things (super slow though) but with the other laptop with Win8 it just says "screeeew you, I ain't launching"...

Sad to say it but if they don't bring torrent/direct download options back (I don't care if ARC exists, but people shouldn't be forced to use it) this is gonna cause PWE to lose a lot of players...
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To everyone who wants to go back to the old download process, you could just obtain an older client online - there's loads of links (or torrents, or you could ask faction mates to Dropbox it or upload to some share website) to PWI clients (of older versions, of course), download that, and use manual patches to get it to v734.

As long as those aren't installers, but the actual PWI folder..which would be about 5GB+ to download.. @_@

The installers, at least the ones I have from 580 to 658, do not work anymore.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    S>USB Drives with current pw files inside. $30 + shipping and handling fees. b:avoid
    edited July 2013
    As long as those aren't installers, but the actual PWI folder..which would be about 5GB+ to download.. @_@

The installers, at least the ones I have from 580 to 658, do not work anymore.

Takes a while, but it bypasses Arc? I mean, there's no other alternatives that I can think of.
  • Airflame - Archosaur
    Airflame - Archosaur Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First, let me get a few things clear...

1. This isn't about the update.
    2. This isn't about PWE's complete mis-management of most of the games they publish.
    3. This isn't a QQ thread about the Dev's or Lag, or anything like that.
    4. This is about PWE forcing software on us that we don't want.

PWE came out with ARC. It's basically their version of Steam. Most of us don't want it, but to download any of the newer content, it's basically forced on us.

It stores all of your login data for your games and has some neat integration features, but where is that data stored, and how secure it is?

So, for those of us that didn't want more **** cluttering our system and posing potential security risks, we avoid using ARC. So we found ways to download the client without having to install ARC. I even provided links after those were removed from the Downloads page.

Then PWE got rid of the torrent page, so I provided an alternative. Now PWE has shut down all of the v699 torrents, and my attempts to fire up a new one get shut down rather quickly via a court order PWE has filed.

I am petitioning to bring back the old downloads. I don't want to have to use Pando Media Booster to download the client, I just want to download the installer. I want to be able to use/seed the torrent download so that I can help take some load off of PWE's servers so that they can provide better bandwidth.

Unfortunately, they've determined that they know what's better for us and are forcing ARC down our throats.

Please vote, and let everyone know what your favorite method to download the client is.

We vote for freedom
    edited July 2013
    Tested with someone I knew in PWI.

Used Dropbox to share the client files. It took my computer overnight to upload it to Dropbox server, then after that, my friend downloaded it using whatever internet speed he has.

Worked like a charm. So I suppose it's the best suggestion. And it's updated too.
    edited July 2013
    Tested with someone I knew in PWI.

Used Dropbox to share the client files. It took my computer overnight to upload it to Dropbox server, then after that, my friend downloaded it using whatever internet speed he has.

Worked like a charm. So I suppose it's the best suggestion. And it's updated too.
    If I had the bandwidth to spare, I'd just direct share it off my server. Unfortunately my upload bandwidth kinda sucks and it would kill all the other network connections in the house.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    Just an update....

So far the poll shows that merely 7.17% of our readers are in love with ARC, and that an overwhelming 92.83% would prefer the three other classic methods.

I am even more amazed that we have gotten so little response to this from the GM's and even less from our Community Manager. (Who incidentally, is now leaving us.)

At least bring back the torrent method. That's the easiest and has the least amount of load on your distribution servers. Not to mention that it has a lower overhead cost than Pando.

We got a token response to this in a Quality Corner thread, but have not gotten anything definitive at all. Basically we just got the typical PWE cop-out response. IMHO, we deserve a better response than that. At a minimum, please explain exactly why you "cannot simply go back to [y]our previous distribution methods", and what your future plan is, with some kind of ETA to a viable alternative to ARC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    Still no response from anyone on this. Not from this thread, nor from the PM's I sent out.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.