VOTE: Get rid of ARC and get our downloads back

Options

Comments

• Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Just an update....
    We got a token response to this in a Quality Corner thread, but have not gotten anything definitive at all. Basically we just got the typical PWE cop-out response. IMHO, we deserve a better response than that. At a minimum, please explain exactly why you "cannot simply go back to [y]our previous distribution methods", and what your future plan is, with some kind of ETA to a viable alternative to ARC.

True, I think if they actually cared about the user experience, they would at least give us back the normal methods while they work on making ARC something less crappy.
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I'm coming back to run around on PW for nostalgia sake, but since I've left I've gotten a new computer and now I have to use this pos downloader. To be honest I was just going to leave and not bother, whoever made them think this was a good idea... b:bye
  • Abocanhadora - Dreamweaver
    Abocanhadora - Dreamweaver Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    How can people like tweatz, having 4.4k posts on this forums, still come here and saying things totally stupid and out of logic is beyond me. Nobody cares if you study programing, you are just making yourselve look idiot. Just stop posting please.

now in topic...

If you want too play a game, you should have more than one option too download the client. Simple as that.
  • kareem222
    kareem222 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    i stopped playing pwi for about 3 months and when i decided to play again even after updating the client i still couldn't login.. i would get a bug report everytime and the only way to stop that was by re-downloading the game through ARC!
    i just dont get it why force me to download the whole thing again if i already have it downloaded ?! ARC didn't recognize it only FW that was recognized.. weird.

what's really bothering me now is that i can't multi-client.. not through ARC ofc and not by using elementclient.exe because of the bug report i get.. is there any way else to do that ? QQ
  • thercon
    thercon Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Wow, I just upgraded my computer to Win8 Pro 64 using a complete reinstall, and just want to re-download STO. And this arc stuff? Wow.. it's a fresh system, it's on a SSD, and it runs worse than anything I have on my laptop while it's unplugged and in eco-mode... o_O

I don't even get the option to download STO, or anything else for that matter. Maybe I can resolve it, but.. so far: ewww.. why.
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Let's hope PWI's next Community Manager will look into this matter. f:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Let's hope PWI's next Community Manager will look into this matter. f:sweat
    One would hope. I PM'ed a few GM's and our CM, but have not received a response from anyone, nor have they posted in this thread.

It's so much fun being ignored isn't it? /sarcasm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cheesecan
    cheesecan Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Without ARC, no core connect. Period.

/keep

I don't have Arc and i can use core connect just fine. b:victory
    If you CAN'T, Cheese CAN!!!
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Bump for justice :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Let's see when we will get justice. Also Justice delayed is justice denied !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OgerIcemann - Sanctuary
    OgerIcemann - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I am so lost right now i have not been on pwi in 3 months. I downloaded arc but i still cant run pwi. Is there more to i need to do to play the game? I would appericate if some one could help me with this.
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Wow, 94% of the community thinks arc sucks, still!
    This is the most cohesive we've ever been about anything ever O.O
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Wow, 94% of the community thinks arc sucks, still!
    This is the most cohesive we've ever been about anything ever O.O
    And the management is still keeping quiet, as usual.

One begins to wonder what it would take to get a real response from someone, instead of something that's more vague than informative..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Still no response from anyone on this. Not from this thread, nor from the PM's I sent out.b:surrender
    And the management is still keeping quiet, as usual.

One begins to wonder what it would take to get a real response from someone, instead of something that's more vague than informative..

A proper online petition signed by us, the public. You could set one up by using Change.org

edited August 2013
    Options
    Ok, well I finally did it. I downloaded ARC on my main computer.

"Why", you ask?
    Because I was troubleshooting something else and decided to do an analysis on ARC.

I could have started a new thread for this, but I really don't want to promote the product just yet, this is mostly for information for you guys, who really don't feel comfortable with it.

On to the show...
    OK, so I downloaded and installed Arc. Disabled BitDefender for the duration of this process, and I elected to install Arc into a directory I already have excluded. For this purpose, that directory is "D:\Games", the installer created the sub-directory "Arc". (C:\Games\Arc)

It immediately recognized Neverwinter as being installed. It did not find PWI, STO, or FW. I suppose it was because I had downloaded Arc from the PWI download page that it immediately started to download the client.

Now here's what's really interesting.
    Arc claims to use a "CDN downloading service". I could find absolutely no information on this initially. Looking into the config files for Arc, it does have links embedded for the latest version of Pando Media Booster. It also has some other localization data in there that was completely incorrect on my system so who knows. Will have to analyze that more later. The download data for the client file appears to be hosted by Pando though...
    <installpack name="PWI_EN_SILENCE_20130620.zip" checksum="861A4C840763BB46199970FFC20D6024" httpurl="http://pcsd.perfectworld.com/PWI_EN_SILENCE_20130620.zip" url="http://com-cache.pandonetworks.com/soapservices/Package/package.pando?id=59F7FC37FE108F6BA7599CC13B82AA17B17CD012" akamaiurl="http://pcsd.perfectworld.com/PWI_EN_SILENCE_20130620.zip" size="6626" installsize="7260" bin="install.exe"/>

Arc downloads the installers into a hidden folder in the root directory of the drive called "ArcTemp". (D:\ArcTemp)
    The PWI download created two files called "PWI_EN_SILENCE_20130620.zip" and "PWI_EN_SILENCE_20130620.zip.icx"
    Upon completing the download the .icx file dissapeared and it becan "installing" the game.
    It extracted the files into a folder called "PWI_en" and that finished the install. (D:\Games\PWI_en) Arc then promptly deleted the installer.
    The current download version is 729.

On a side note...
    I followed the link and manually downloaded the client file. I then simply extracted it into a folder, and was amazed to discover that there wasn't even a need to install. I was able to create a shortcut and run the patcher straight from there. (I'm sure I might eventually get in trouble for mentioning this, but it's not like they appear to be paying any attention to this thread anyway.)

Now, to answer your account security question...
    Your login information is stored in "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Arc\config.ini". It's written in the file in an encrypted hex code. I will need to spend some time working on it to see how hard it is to decrypt.
    This folder also contains the data on your installed games.

The final test...
    From Arc, I launched the client. Let it update, adjusted the graphic settings, and then pressed Start. It took a moment longer to get to the loading screen and it appeared that another window popped up in the background briefly. (Will be looking into that in more detail later.) The client loaded, I chose my server, and was immediately logged into the account I used for Arc. (I was also blasted in the ears by the theme music. They really need to add volume adjustment to the patcher window.)

Overall, it wasn't that bad. You should note that I took the correct precautionary measures with my security software before starting this task. If you don't, then your experience will not be nearly as good as mine was in the end.

This, in absolutely no way, means that I support ARC. It's a neat tool, but it has it's flaws. I'm still pretty pissed that it's so difficult to just get a straight download.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • synchroze
    synchroze Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Ok, well I finally did it. I downloaded ARC on my main computer.

"Why", you ask?
    Because I was troubleshooting something else and decided to do an analysis on ARC.

I could have started a new thread for this, but I really don't want to promote the product just yet, this is mostly for information for you guys, who really don't feel comfortable with it.

On to the show...
    OK, so I downloaded and installed Arc. Disabled BitDefender for the duration of this process, and I elected to install Arc into a directory I already have excluded. For this purpose, that directory is "D:\Games", the installer created the sub-directory "Arc". (C:\Games\Arc)

It immediately recognized Neverwinter as being installed. It did not find PWI, STO, or FW. I suppose it was because I had downloaded Arc from the PWI download page that it immediately started to download the client.

Now here's what's really interesting.
    Arc claims to use a "CDN downloading service". I could find absolutely no information on this initially. Looking into the config files for Arc, it does have links embedded for the latest version of Pando Media Booster. It also has some other localization data in there that was completely incorrect on my system so who knows. Will have to analyze that more later. The download data for the client file appears to be hosted by Pando though...
    <installpack name="PWI_EN_SILENCE_20130620.zip" checksum="861A4C840763BB46199970FFC20D6024" httpurl="http://pcsd.perfectworld.com/PWI_EN_SILENCE_20130620.zip" url="http://com-cache.pandonetworks.com/soapservices/Package/package.pando?id=59F7FC37FE108F6BA7599CC13B82AA17B17CD012" akamaiurl="http://pcsd.perfectworld.com/PWI_EN_SILENCE_20130620.zip" size="6626" installsize="7260" bin="install.exe"/>

Arc downloads the installers into a hidden folder in the root directory of the drive called "ArcTemp". (D:\ArcTemp)
    The PWI download created two files called "PWI_EN_SILENCE_20130620.zip" and "PWI_EN_SILENCE_20130620.zip.icx"
    Upon completing the download the .icx file dissapeared and it becan "installing" the game.
    It extracted the files into a folder called "PWI_en" and that finished the install. (D:\Games\PWI_en) Arc then promptly deleted the installer.
    The current download version is 729.

On a side note...
    I followed the link and manually downloaded the client file. I then simply extracted it into a folder, and was amazed to discover that there wasn't even a need to install. I was able to create a shortcut and run the patcher straight from there. (I'm sure I might eventually get in trouble for mentioning this, but it's not like they appear to be paying any attention to this thread anyway.)

Now, to answer your account security question...
    Your login information is stored in "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Arc\config.ini". It's written in the file in an encrypted hex code. I will need to spend some time working on it to see how hard it is to decrypt.
    This folder also contains the data on your installed games.

The final test...
    From Arc, I launched the client. Let it update, adjusted the graphic settings, and then pressed Start. It took a moment longer to get to the loading screen and it appeared that another window popped up in the background briefly. (Will be looking into that in more detail later.) The client loaded, I chose my server, and was immediately logged into the account I used for Arc. (I was also blasted in the ears by the theme music. They really need to add volume adjustment to the patcher window.)

Overall, it wasn't that bad. You should note that I took the correct precautionary measures with my security software before starting this task. If you don't, then your experience will not be nearly as good as mine was in the end.

This, in absolutely no way, means that I support ARC. It's a neat tool, but it has it's flaws. I'm still pretty pissed that it's so difficult to just get a straight download.

Thanks for taking the time and providing a detailed description of your experience with ARC. We're working diligently to gather feedback from the community about our new platform. Feedback like this is valuable to us so we encourage the community to continue providing us with this kind of information. We understand that some players haven't had a good experience with it but we're working to address those issues and concerns.

Please keep in mind that ARC is still in it's early developmental stage. Any constructive feedback is vital to helping us create the best user experience with it. I will make sure to pass along any concerns, comments, feedback, or importation you may have to the ARC team.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to seeing more feedback from all of you as we roll out new versions and updates to ARC.
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    edited August 2013
    Options
    synchroze wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time and providing a detailed description of your experience with ARC. We're working diligently to gather feedback from the community about our new platform. Feedback like this is valuable to us so we encourage the community to continue providing us with this kind of information. We understand that some players haven't had a good experience with it but we're working to address those issues and concerns.

Please keep in mind that ARC is still in it's early developmental stage. Any constructive feedback is vital to helping us create the best user experience with it. I will make sure to pass along any concerns, comments, feedback, or importation you may have to the ARC team.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to seeing more feedback from all of you as we roll out new versions and updates to ARC.

Until ARC is -not- in early development, it would probably be prudent to get back the old downloading option.

It's really grating on my nerves to see the trend of companies pushing out Alpha/early Beta versions of 'things' to have the community test it out, especially in this case, where there is no option other than to test ARC if you need to re-download the game, or are a true new player. Outside of certain games, this technique only serves to aggravate the community, especially in a case like this where a good chunk of people not only dislike the service, but can't even play the game anymore thanks to it.
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited August 2013
    Options
    @ synchroze Thanks for hearing us. ARC really needs improvement in lot of terms. For me i have been in using it from the day it launched i cannot say i liked it becoz of delaying in loading,working slowly the in-build ARC browser isn't good compared to Chrome or Firefox. Also lots of feature needs to be added in it like facebook connect, Ranking Page, DQ rewards,Server Status etc. Basically make a browser which can give us access to all sort of stuffs available in PWE & PWI. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2013
    Options

I think a win/win for both parties that are for and against Arc would be to make it optional to download, and have the other methods to download your games back. I myself will not download Arc since my game runs smooth enough on its own.

• Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Options

That's even more reason to keep it as an optional thing for now... Forcing ppl to use something that isn't even completely finished up yet doesn't seem like a really good idea to begin with... Right now, it's basically denying those who have problems with your new little tool access to the game... f:worry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited August 2013
    Options
    This thread was made a Sticky why suddenly it is removed now ? f:stare
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    Options
    This thread was made a Sticky why suddenly it is removed now ? f:stare
    That was likely an accident.

Also, if you read my post carefully, there is still a decent alternative to Arc.b:victory

I also notice that although we got a response from the new/temp CM, the question about what has happened to the alternative, and what the plan is was never mentioned. Good job at upholding the PWE values there and still leaving us in the dark.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ravensbane47
    ravensbane47 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Thanks to crummy ARC i cant even download the game... Guess this potential customer is walking away...
  • GumyBear - Raging Tide
    GumyBear - Raging Tide Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Please keep in mind that ARC is still in it's early developmental stage.

If Arc is in its "early developmental stage", then why is it out already and why are you guys forcing it on us?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Options
    If Arc is in its "early developmental stage", then why is it out already and why are you guys forcing it on us?

My question also. How about you just offer it as an option to people willing to be the testers for feedback? What kind of sense does it make to force us to use something that isn't even completed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Well, I think this was in beta for a long time as core client. But I never liked core client because I couldn't get it to work on my machine at all. It was really buggy and didn't add much. The chat thingy was kinda neat but w/o anyone using it, I couldn't really test it out. :P I'm reserving my opinion about ARC, which is out of beta, until I see what kind of utility it adds to the game though. :P I'm hoping they simply jumped the gun and the rewards are worth it but I have no clue. Core itself don't give me much hope, but we shall see.

@Sylen
    Thanks for the information

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Guess I'd better buy myself another USB stick to make an external back-up of my game folder then (damn game won't even fit onto a back-up DVD)... If I ever have to do a system re-install, or getting myself a new pc, I at least wanna be able to keep playing this game without all the forced BS around it... Especially when the dev's don't even have the decency to make abosolutely sure it's 100% finished and working before using it as an only option thing... f:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • Hunt - Raging Tide
    Hunt - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Options
    If i came to play PWI why they need to show in my face all of their games each time i login or visiting web? ok i play neverwinter and fortuna a bit,but still. its confusing and annoying.
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Dear Mr/Mrs GMs and Developers

Arc sucks. I believe the only gaming platform in existence that is actually being done right is Steam. Steam took years to finally become what it is today. Steam back in the day was also a very crappy platform to have on your computer.

Arc will also take years to get to Steam's level, and by then Steam will be much better, therefore it'll never match up to Steam's level. Now lets discuss why.

First of all, PWE develops MMO's, no one in their right mind wants a gaming platform that only caters to MMO's also ONE company's list of MMO's.

Secondly, we are all unhappy with Arc. So why forcing something we truly despise onto the player base?

Thirdly, PWI is reaching its climax, the rate that you are going with this once awesome game is going to destroy it eventually. I can tell you the main reason why we all stay here, thats because of the friends we have made, not because of the game itself.

Lastly, Arc doesn't even pick up the PWE games you have installed, so i will not waste my time to redownload pwi and install it. Im perfectly happy running pwi without arc.

Im sure i missed many reasons as to why arc sucks, but these are the issues i picked up after using it for exactly 10min.

One last note, nothing lasts forever - soon the **** that your developers do to this game is going to take its toll, and it'll eventually end up closed down like your other failed mmo's. PWI is your main cash cow i believe, and a logical company will do its best to keep their cash cow alive, but PWE doesn't seem to do that.

b:bye
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I'll have to agree here.
    I still don't understand why they don't give us an alternative way of downloading the game normally without ARC. ARC should be optional, not compulsory especially when it's only on its early stages.

If I was a new customer trying out a PWE game for the first time and had to download ARC, I'd probably not bother trying any of the games if ARC ended up being too buggy and irritating. Things like these drive potential customers away.

A game company should be trying to make it as easy as possible for people to try out its games, not make it harder.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
This discussion has been closed.