VOTE: Get rid of ARC and get our downloads back

Options

Comments

• Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    higher bandwidth costs compared to what? this makes zero sense, torrents reduce the amount of bandwidth pwi would use as those that are currently downloading the client are at the same time uploading it to others, torrents create an absolute minimal amount of bandwidth overhead, not to mention greatly reduce the number of corrupt/interrupted downloads that need to be restarted

Oh excuse me for confusing download/upload fundamentals when hosting something on a server compared with that of a torrent.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Ok, I really didn't want to have to do this, and I could have let you sit in your own little bubble, but this is just too much. I'll break it down in tidbits for those that aren't as tech-aware as you claim to be.
    tweakz wrote: »
    I don't use security software. I'm CompTIA A+ certified, trained in a tech school, and self learned.
    Ok, so you have the A+ certification. That's kinda like having a CDL (chauffeur's) license.
    I'll relate it for the community.

Standard driving permit = Complete noob. You can turn on the computer and know how to use the browser.
    Drivers license = Average computer user. You can install and remove most programs, use e-mail, Office, and perform other various tasks.
    CDL license = CompTIA A+ certification. You're trained in the absolute basics of PC troubleshooting and are familiarized with basic hardware repair.
    As far as driving goes, it's a small step up from a regular license, allows you to drive some box vans, and may allow you to drive a bus with an added certification.

Class A Truck License or higher = IT Professional This individual has multiple high-level certifications and a two-year associate degree in computer science at a minimum. Usually they will have a masters and 4-5 years of college.

So far you've shown that your self-training is mainly things that you don't fully understand how they actually work or operate. As for the CompTIA A+ certification, my 14-year-old can get that if she simply went down and took the test right now. Technical schools have a fairly limited scope of instruction.

For comparison, here's my experience...

I was programming BASIC on a TRS-80 before most people knew home computers existed. I built a motherboard for a 286 16MHz from the chips up when I was 14. (A full month before they were released to the public.) I've programmed in 6 different languages, and I've been troubleshooting computer hardware, software, and networks since I was a kid. I've written guides and books on Operating systems, and software associated with them. That's just my self-taught skills.
    I additionally am CompTIA A+ and Network+ certified. Am CCNA certified, and have additionally wireless and network security. I am MCSE certified in Windows 98, XP, Vista, and Windows 7 for OS's, and I additionally have a certification in Office, Exhange server, and Access. I currently work for a large international company providing IT support to hundreds of different systems for thousands of users.
    On top of that, I've been on the internet since before it was a graphical interface. It was all UNIX text and you could print a list of all the websites in the world on a few pieces of paper. I've been a GM/Dev for MMO games since Meridian59. I have my own server, and manage a private game server myself. I've been a hacker and cracker, and I've been "on the scene" for longer than a lot of the people reading this have been alive.

Even years before that; I stopped using such software for the reasons that it caused system instability, false positives, system overhead, and false sense of protection. I haven't had a single problem as a result for 10+ years now. You will notice that most updates for software like torrent clients mention security and stability which counters your claim. If PWI releases a torrent; that's one thing, but some forum user posting links to a torrent is another. It's not that I don't use a torrent client: it's that I don't want to be a distributor of this software, or use it to download or upload executables from strangers.
    Ok, couple of things you've got way off track, and you obviously haven't paid attention since you formed your original opinion 10 years ago that was additionally incorrect.

1. Software is developed by humans. Humans make mistakes and there can be bugs in the code. Also, there are thousands of updates to existing software every day, on top of the fact that the is a large quantity of new software constantly being developed. Which is why you get compatibility updates. To fix issues with other software up updates that might arise.

2. There are always people like I used to be hacking and cracking code. Which is shy software security needs to be constantly updated. Especially something like torrent software that sits on the edge of a realm of hackers and pirates. This doesn't make torrenting bad, and it doesn't open you to risk if you are using torrents for the right reasons, and connecting to safe seeds.

3. OMG, pick a flavor of Windows, Linux, or even an Apple OS. You will see immediately why you want security and compatibility updates.

4. You aren't forced to be a distributor with torrents. You can absolutely configure your torrent lickt so that all you do is leech. Just keep in mind that a lot of us on the scene who do heavy seeding have out configuration set to block you from connecting to our servers.

5. This one's the real kicker, because you're trying to take a sniper shot at me while halfway trying to sound like you know what you're talking about. In the end, you only show how ignorant you are. The torrent file I linked was simply a link for your torrent software to connect to the seeds available in the cloud for downloading the official version 699 client installer. If you knew how torrents worked, you'd know how secure that is. We'll get to that later.
    Torrent servers cost money. Torrent clients were developed by 3rd parties for the purpose of generating income. -Do you know how they get their income? People using torrent clients tend to use them for pirated software, data, and hacks, and PWI can't verify their security. Torrents are undesirable for a legit software developer plain and simple. Allowing torrents after all the r&d they put into ARC would be a waste otherwise.
    Once again, you show the entire community how entirely clueless you are.

1. Any server costs money, torrents such as the client would be initially seeded from the PWE servers, and then afterwards supported by the cloud. The object of this is precicely to take the load off of the PWE servers. Something that you obviously fail to understand.
    The purpose of torrenting is to provide large software distribution without putting a heavy load on any one network or server. MANY legitimate businesses use torrents for distribution of extremely large files or packages. Which leads us to the next step...

2. One of the reasons that torrents are preferred for large file downloads is for data preservation. Each file is MD5 hash checked while it's downloading, and verified after it arrives. Once you have a seed set, you can't just change the files, or willy nilly add viruses to them. those files will then fail the hash check and will not be uploaded. (Most good clients will additionally replace them with the proper files.) This ensures that the software not only remains intact throughout it's distribution cycle in the cloud, but also that the integrity of the files remains the same as the original distribution.

3. Anyone can provide a torrent link to the source in just about any location. That doesn't change the source. If it changes anything, it might add more trackers, which will only improve download capability and increase the scope of the source files in the cloud.
    You might want to consider why they don't allow torrents, and why you're so against ARC.

I still have no personal experience with ARC, but you still fail to make a valid case for allowing torrents, or why you're so against ARC.
    Again, you continue to show your ignorance. Prior to ARC, the torrent method has been the preferred download method.
    PWE originally had a large .rar compressed version on the installer. It was huge, and if your internet connection wasn't gold, you were likely to get a corrupted download. Then they added the torrent shortly afterwards. It ensured that you got the file intact, without corruption, and additionally took some of the load off of their servers. Later, PWE created the intaller that downloaded the client files. Basically it was a small program that you downloaded, that then downloaded the individual files from the installation package and ran the install. It had options to verify both during the download process, and during the install. (Personally this was the best method for most users.) The problem with hits option though, what that the bulk of the bandwidth for the downloads came off the PWE servers.
    So PWE went to Pando. Pando is basically like a torrent. Except that it's a smaller cloud, PWE has to pay Pando for licensing, and for the cloud servers connections. It costs a bit more, but takes a lot of the load off of the PWE distribution servers.
    Then came ARC. I haven't investigated the download methods for ARC, but t appears to be a combination of direct download and Peer-to-peer file sharing. (Kinda like Pando was.)

Finally, it's not that I'm against ARC. If they would fix the current bugs and reduce it's footprint some, I would even go as far as recommending it.
    My issue is that I don't need another process running in the background to play this one game. I don't wish to have to download and install a program, just to get to my client. Whether it be Pando media Booster, or ARC.

They took this ability away, which in the great scheme of things, is a pretty stupid move for a F2P title. I could understand if the majority of their games were P2P, and PWI just got rolled into it because of that. Even then though, an alternative should be available through either an actual direct download, or the more common torrent method.
    But this isn't the case. Of PWEs current lineup of 14 games, I am only aware of one that you must purchase.

-removed- It's mainly to educate the others that might have been misled -removed-.
    Colors added so it's at least a more interesting looking wall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited June 2013
    Options
    why hate arc? i know it's just another manager - everyone seems to be doing this recently - but it's at least light-weight and not required to play. it doesn't have to be running to play any games, it doesn't even have to be installed.

launch the game from elementclient.exe like everyone already does without arc and you're good to go

the auto-sign in thing is pretty neat, though

b:bye
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    prof wrote: »
    why hate arc?

7 pages of qq, and I'm wondering why this hasn't been sufficiently answered. -So I voted first option.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Annonrae - Sanctuary
    Annonrae - Sanctuary Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    prof wrote: »
    why hate arc? i know it's just another manager - everyone seems to be doing this recently - but it's at least light-weight and not required to play. it doesn't have to be running to play any games, it doesn't even have to be installed.

It's not required to play the game, yet people who don't have an older client are forced to download it now, without any other options available to them if they go through official channels. That in itself makes it an undesirable piece of software for me.

For me, it's the principle of the thing: I'm having something forced on me that I don't want and technically don't need, while there are other ( easier ) methods available, but the company insists on forcing it on me. Why? I don't know. If they'd made Arc a choice along with the other download methods, I wouldn't mind it half as much.
  • KrittyCat - Dreamweaver
    KrittyCat - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    You might want to consider why they don't allow torrents, and why you're so against ARC.

I still have no personal experience with ARC, but you still fail to make a valid case for allowing torrents, or why you're so against ARC.

ARC is just the "completed" implementation of the beta-tested Core Client (completed is in quotes because this implementation is just about as buggy as the original Core Client). I didn't care for the system then, as it added bloatware to my processor when all I wanted to do was play one game.

Sure, it enabled you to chat with anyone on your Core Connect friends list, but very few people actually make use of that system. It just serves no purpose other than to attempt to get users to download more of PWE's games and spend time or money on them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Signature credit to NowItsAwn)

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
  • douknowjello
    douknowjello Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    It's been said before in this thread, simply copy over the whole Perfect World International folder to a thumb drive (assuming it's 8 gb or bigger) or to an external HDD and transfer it to any computer to wish to put it on.
    PWI, ARC-less, does not care where you place it at. It simply just works.

If that fails (or you don't have a way of transferring the client over), there are plenty of websites with older versions of PWI on them.

For example,this website has client files going back all the way to 2007 (pre-PWI). Looks like they have the SOW client from February.

That website is based in Australia so the speeds are going to be a bit slow, I'm sure you can find a faster site or torrents elsewhere if you look.

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to have to save it to a thumb drive for back up because I've had computers crash before.

I will say this though, I've already had friends who had to use Arc and have had nothing but problems. If I'm ever in that situation where I am forced to use it I WILL quit PWI if I don't anyway. I'm not too happy with some of the other choices they've already taken from us with the last update and the only thing that keeps alot of us here is the time and money that we've already put in.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I would like to see a source on that. I've combed through pwcn's website many times and not once have I seen anything that referred to buying licenses for private servers.

Considering how many private servers are out there, and how long it took for them before they started getting close to the current version that pwi/pwcn has, I really doubt wanmei has done this.

I would of thought you would know better than anyone Bubbles, Perfect World is actually Perfect World Research & Development.

PWE is the North American branch of PWRD or as you call it PWCN(Wanmei).

The source you are asking for can be found under the, "Investor Relations" tab in their, "Fact Sheet" PDF. Theres also quite a bit of info on their earnings, stock options, and their strategy as far as how they handle the life of their games.

As far as PWI is concerned, it belongs to PWRD and is their flag ship game. All development is handled by the parent company and not a 3rd party.

Wanted to just toss in some info since it seemed like a couple of misunder standings were being had.

b:victory

As far as the whole ARC thing, not a fan at all. I'm with Syl on this one, I don't want additonal programs on my computer, unless I actually want them on there.
  • AlphaOmegaX - Dreamweaver
    AlphaOmegaX - Dreamweaver Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Ok, I really didn't want to have to do this, and I could have let you sit in your own little bubble, but this is just too much. I'll break it down in tidbits for those that aren't as tech-aware as you claim to be.

Ok, so you have the A+ certification. That's kinda like having a CDL (chauffeur's) license.
    I'll relate it for the community.

Standard driving permit = Complete noob. You can turn on the computer and know how to use the browser.
    Drivers license = Average computer user. You can install and remove most programs, use e-mail, Office, and perform other various tasks.
    CDL license = CompTIA A+ certification. You're trained in the absolute basics of PC troubleshooting and are familiarized with basic hardware repair.
    As far as driving goes, it's a small step up from a regular license, allows you to drive some box vans, and may allow you to drive a bus with an added certification.

Class A Truck License or higher = IT Professional This individual has multiple high-level certifications and a two-year associate degree in computer science at a minimum. Usually they will have a masters and 4-5 years of college.

So far you've shown that your self-training is mainly things that you don't fully understand how they actually work or operate. As for the CompTIA A+ certification, my 14-year-old can get that if she simply went down and took the test right now. Technical schools have a fairly limited scope of instruction.

For comparison, here's my experience...

I was programming BASIC on a TRS-80 before most people knew home computers existed. I built a motherboard for a 286 16MHz from the chips up when I was 14. (A full month before they were released to the public.) I've programmed in 6 different languages, and I've been troubleshooting computer hardware, software, and networks since I was a kid. I've written guides and books on Operating systems, and software associated with them. That's just my self-taught skills.
    I additionally am CompTIA A+ and Network+ certified. Am CCNA certified, and have additionally wireless and network security. I am MCSE certified in Windows 98, XP, Vista, and Windows 7 for OS's, and I additionally have a certification in Office, Exhange server, and Access. I currently work for a large international company providing IT support to hundreds of different systems for thousands of users.
    On top of that, I've been on the internet since before it was a graphical interface. It was all UNIX text and you could print a list of all the websites in the world on a few pieces of paper. I've been a GM/Dev for MMO games since Meridian59. I have my own server, and manage a private game server myself. I've been a hacker and cracker, and I've been "on the scene" for longer than a lot of the people reading this have been alive.

Ok, couple of things you've got way off track, and you obviously haven't paid attention since you formed your original opinion 10 years ago that was additionally incorrect.

1. Software is developed by humans. Humans make mistakes and there can be bugs in the code. Also, there are thousands of updates to existing software every day, on top of the fact that the is a large quantity of new software constantly being developed. Which is why you get compatibility updates. To fix issues with other software up updates that might arise.

2. There are always people like I used to be hacking and cracking code. Which is shy software security needs to be constantly updated. Especially something like torrent software that sits on the edge of a realm of hackers and pirates. This doesn't make torrenting bad, and it doesn't open you to risk if you are using torrents for the right reasons, and connecting to safe seeds.

3. OMG, pick a flavor of Windows, Linux, or even an Apple OS. You will see immediately why you want security and compatibility updates.

4. You aren't forced to be a distributor with torrents. You can absolutely configure your torrent lickt so that all you do is leech. Just keep in mind that a lot of us on the scene who do heavy seeding have out configuration set to block you from connecting to our servers.

5. This one's the real kicker, because you're trying to take a sniper shot at me while halfway trying to sound like you know what you're talking about. In the end, you only show how ignorant you are. The torrent file I linked was simply a link for your torrent software to connect to the seeds available in the cloud for downloading the official version 699 client installer. If you knew how torrents worked, you'd know how secure that is. We'll get to that later.

Once again, you show the entire community how entirely clueless you are.

1. Any server costs money, torrents such as the client would be initially seeded from the PWE servers, and then afterwards supported by the cloud. The object of this is precicely to take the load off of the PWE servers. Something that you obviously fail to understand.
    The purpose of torrenting is to provide large software distribution without putting a heavy load on any one network or server. MANY legitimate businesses use torrents for distribution of extremely large files or packages. Which leads us to the next step...

2. One of the reasons that torrents are preferred for large file downloads is for data preservation. Each file is MD5 hash checked while it's downloading, and verified after it arrives. Once you have a seed set, you can't just change the files, or willy nilly add viruses to them. those files will then fail the hash check and will not be uploaded. (Most good clients will additionally replace them with the proper files.) This ensures that the software not only remains intact throughout it's distribution cycle in the cloud, but also that the integrity of the files remains the same as the original distribution.

3. Anyone can provide a torrent link to the source in just about any location. That doesn't change the source. If it changes anything, it might add more trackers, which will only improve download capability and increase the scope of the source files in the cloud.

Again, you continue to show your ignorance. Prior to ARC, the torrent method has been the preferred download method.
    PWE originally had a large .rar compressed version on the installer. It was huge, and if your internet connection wasn't gold, you were likely to get a corrupted download. Then they added the torrent shortly afterwards. It ensured that you got the file intact, without corruption, and additionally took some of the load off of their servers. Later, PWE created the intaller that downloaded the client files. Basically it was a small program that you downloaded, that then downloaded the individual files from the installation package and ran the install. It had options to verify both during the download process, and during the install. (Personally this was the best method for most users.) The problem with hits option though, what that the bulk of the bandwidth for the downloads came off the PWE servers.
    So PWE went to Pando. Pando is basically like a torrent. Except that it's a smaller cloud, PWE has to pay Pando for licensing, and for the cloud servers connections. It costs a bit more, but takes a lot of the load off of the PWE distribution servers.
    Then came ARC. I haven't investigated the download methods for ARC, but t appears to be a combination of direct download and Peer-to-peer file sharing. (Kinda like Pando was.)

Finally, it's not that I'm against ARC. If they would fix the current bugs and reduce it's footprint some, I would even go as far as recommending it.
    My issue is that I don't need another process running in the background to play this one game. I don't wish to have to download and install a program, just to get to my client. Whether it be Pando media Booster, or ARC.

They took this ability away, which in the great scheme of things, is a pretty stupid move for a F2P title. I could understand if the majority of their games were P2P, and PWI just got rolled into it because of that. Even then though, an alternative should be available through either an actual direct download, or the more common torrent method.
    But this isn't the case. Of PWEs current lineup of 14 games, I am only aware of one that you must purchase.

Now I didn't make this huge wall of text just to show you what an idiot you are. It's mainly to educate the others that might have been misled by your idiocy. Please don't post again unless you actually know what you're talking about. I can honestly say that my 14-year-old daughter knows more about software and security than you have shown, and that's pretty sad.
    Colors added so it's at least a more interesting looking wall.

Submarined b:dirty ARC sucks btw b:bye
  • BigPizza - Lost City
    BigPizza - Lost City Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Pando 4 life
  • mattzz#6816
    mattzz#6816 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    ARC suck!!!! go away ARC burn in hell, give us option to chose normal download b:angry
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Arc actually works fine for me. A little laggy when it first comes up, but I've had few, if any problems with it personally.

Tell me, do you have any logic as to why you don't like it? Such as, it as **** poor programming or something like that?

Any legit arguments as to why they should make it optional?

Make a note, I run PWI on a VIRTUAL MACHINE! Windows XP. I play on a Mac. And I HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS WITH IT!!!! >.>

Think about that.

Now I figure a majority of you are playing on Vista/Win7/Win8...but that's irrelevant.

Get some good logic for it.

Now, I can understand getting the downloads back, but Arc is just...easier management.

Not irrelevant. These versions of windows are the ones they should focus on. b:bye

We don't need a stupid program that does no **** to run on our computers consuming our memory and cpu for nothing.
  • EarthenBlade - Sanctuary
    EarthenBlade - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I've been registered with, and played, PWI for nearly 5 years now (off and on). So I've been around almost as long as the NA localization has. I've NEVER had a client problem in the past, other than some bugs which were EASILY fixable within a matter of minutes. I recently got my laptop, and decided to install and play the game after about a 6 month break.

PWI's answer to my wanting to play their game:

No. You will not play. Denied any and all access.

Why? simple answer; Arc. The launcher is screwed up, manual patches don't work, lags the **** out of my otherwise normal laptop. I can run -removed- ALL AT THE SAME TIME. But can i run the Arc program and install a single game? Laptop: "Hahahaha, ******-slaps* DENIED!"

I tried downloading a previous version that still used Pando Media Booster, but ya'know? PWI decided to say "**** you."

Is it just me or... has PWI really turned into Microsoft and said "Listen to our player community? What's a player community? Wait! They give us MONEY!? WHY HAVEN'T WE HEARD OF THIS CONCEPT BEFORE!?"

Yeah.. that about sums it up.

Edit: Yes, the join date for this account says Dec. 2011, however for some reason when i got on my original account(s) they all kept telling me that i apparently made the account within the last 3 days and i could not post so *Shrugs*

Second edit: For some reason the chat filter blocked -removed-
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    so they pulled torrents too huh? I don't see how, PTP is still always active.

That's ok, I have backups of EVERYTHING. from 580-current. don't have the newest client installer, but what I have works fine.

If they are trying to kill private servers with ARC it will fail horribly. if they are trying to be GT.. well.. USE GT PWE
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
    edited June 2013
    Options
    so they pulled torrents too huh? I don't see how, PTP is still always active.

That's ok, I have backups of EVERYTHING. from 580-current. don't have the newest client installer, but what I have works fine.

If they are trying to kill private servers with ARC it will fail horribly. if they are trying to be GT.. well.. USE GT PWE
    All of the sites I had cataloged with the torrent links no longer have the link. Most of them have a message saying it was removed via court order.

Of course the seed is still active, and it won't die. they can't kill that, they're just killing the ability for people to connect to it, and it's trackers.

I have backups from before 580 even, and all the patches since, just don't have the bandwidth to support distribution. I tried uploading the .torrent file for v699 to one of my sites, but it's not functioning atm, and I'm afraid to host it on my personal server because of the previously mentioned court order on the torrents. (It's possible that you may be able to right-click and "save link as" to save the file and then load it into your torrent software. I haven't been able to test that yet though.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Trump - Raging Tide
    Trump - Raging Tide Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    i dont think i have downloaded pwi in a long time. i just keep a copy of old installer/pwi folder and move it to another comp if i need. never had any problems.

edit: oh and yea forcing arc on ppl is **** and pwe can go **** them selves with a pickle.
    it should be purely optional.
    more questions asked-more ppl helping to solve-better community-better support...b:bye
  • RelXenVasBal - Raging Tide
    RelXenVasBal - Raging Tide Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I agree with what 90% of you guys said.. Summed up ARC should just go F.uk off in a corner and die. I tried to use ARC and it made game play so damn much worse. I literally has to reset my comp to an prior backup date just to fully remove ARC and get back to the game itself.b:angry
  • Edalus - Morai
    Edalus - Morai Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    As said in another thread, I never had any problems with ARC as I redownloaded all my games again. This leads to my only concerns:

1) You have to download all the games again, you are not readily able to integrate existing downloads of your games.

2) To use different languages of your games, you have to switch the language of ARC itself, thus you are unable to play german or french versions of your games while using the english version of ARC and vice versa.

3) I do not know if ARC acknowledges all your games after you have had to reinstall your operating system and hence had to reinstall ARC again.

4) The simple process of starting a game is somewhat bloated now; although there is a closer connection to CORE and the news feed of relevant games.

I hope we get some answers soon as to how secure ARC actually is.

As for the other resentments: old players never want a change, are simply creatures of habit, they amuse me every day anew; but alas! understandable partly for this case as ARC surely is somewhat redundant.
    ARC simply downloads the client files again and one is able to start the game via exe-file as before, all seems to be the same files except some more exe-files for the new ARC features... or at least intended features.
    edited June 2013
    Options
    As for the other resentments: old players never want a change, are simply creatures of habit, they amuse me every day anew; but alas! understandable partly for this case as ARC surely is somewhat redundant.
    ARC simply downloads the client files again and one is able to start the game via exe-file as before, all seems to be the same files except some more exe-files for the new ARC features... or at least intended features.
    Yes, I'm an old player.
    I happen to like change though, just as long as it's not forced down my throat.
    Aside from it being yet another item cluttering my system tray, I just want the options. There is absolutely no reason why we should be able to have the old torrent and direct downloads available, and to choose to use ARC if we want, rather than having it pushed down our throats.

Which was my original point to this thread, though I was a bit pissed when i started writing, so the title is a bit misleading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicEmpress - Lost City
    MagicEmpress - Lost City Posts: 795 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    So after you use arc to download PWI can you uninstall arc and still pay PWI?
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I had downloaded ARC just to test and see how it works, the day i installed the same day i just removed it also because i really don't like ARC, while uninstalling ARC it also removed PWI from my P.C, i had use the torrent links to download the game all again. b:shutup

I fully support SylenThunder, PWE should bring back torrent & direct download options to download in game forcing the player-base to use something which is ****.
    PLEASE THINK ABOUT THE PLAYERS BEFORE FORCING ANY PROGRAM OS US.

Any official word from any PWE staff or Admin will be really nice why they're forcing ARC on us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Options
    genotypist wrote: »
    As a final note, PWE is continuing to gather feedback regarding Arc. Please let us know of any technical problems in our Technical Issues subforum. In its current implementation, we're aware that Arc is not providing as much of a benefit to users as we'd envisioned, and we're hiring assets + pouring a lot of work into making using Arc worthwhile. Trust me when I say that we've got major plans for PWI through Arc and have not simply abandoned it because of its age. You guys and gals, your enthusiasm for this game, are always at the top of our priorities in discussions.

Suffice it to say, there are legitimate reasons why we cannot simply go back to our previous distribution methods. The biggest hurdles we face is compromising between players' demands for change and improvements with players who prefer the status quo. We cannot please everybody, but we're putting our efforts into improving the game as a whole. We believe Arc is the way to do that.

If there's a specific aspect of Arc that can be improved, please let us know. Point to areas where Arc is stopping you from enjoying the game rather than simply saying you don't like it for a unspecified reason. There's a rather large thread in the General Forums: we're reading it, I promise.

Cheers,
    Genotype

Just gonna leave this here for those who don't check the Quality Corner. You can find the whole response in the June Update in the Quailty Corner. http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1608821

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Cantabrum - Archosaur
    Cantabrum - Archosaur Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    b:cry idk when i installed ARC at theweek i got some kind of troyans try get on my CP b:sad
    b:cute then unistalled it b:cute and hopefully i got oldpwi genesis some where on other hard disk b:cute
  • Edalus - Morai
    Edalus - Morai Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Yes, I'm an old player.
    I happen to like change though, just as long as it's not forced down my throat.
    Aside from it being yet another item cluttering my system tray, I just want the options. There is absolutely no reason why we should be able to have the old torrent and direct downloads available, and to choose to use ARC if we want, rather than having it pushed down our throats.

Which was my original point to this thread, though I was a bit pissed when i started writing, so the title is a bit misleading.

I saw it coming; one day I saw a button on the launcher leading to ARC and in another game, maybe War of the Immortals, I read about the enforcement of ARC there. It was the same day I tried to get used to it and partly I agree with you: it is still quite redundant and the enforcement does not help either.

Although now I somewhat like how easy one can see the news of the chosen games or how easily one can choose to download this or that game; but again yes, it is another icon and another process and it just spares me till now to open a tab or window of my browser to view the news from the game's webpage directly.

I do not endorse the enforcement of ARC but at times I thought, new players would only know to download games via ARC and get used to it right from the start; and what would I do if I just now happened to find out about these games and about ARC, and would I then get steamed up about ARC and all?

I was just appalled by your rage in this topic; I was just an eager reader of your infos and findings about PWI when a problem arose and allayed me with them.
  • shateel
    shateel Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Is there anyway to go around arc, unfortunately my pc crash, so i tried arc, to be honest i really don't like or want it, is there any other way to download pwi directly......I think arc should be optional >.>
  • gwynnavere
    gwynnavere Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I had pwi installed on my other computer but then when i got a new one i had to download arc. While i was perfectly fine with downloading it I haven't been able to download pwi because while its downloading arc stops responding. The farthest i got was like 25%...is there a way i can download without arc?
  • Aquilez - Sanctuary
    Aquilez - Sanctuary Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    for now i only know that my game is working without arc, but if they ever try to force me to download it, its bye bye pwi
  • Chuck_smith - Sanctuary
    Chuck_smith - Sanctuary Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Tried everything except that install arc on the computer then install on an external hard drive. Won't spend money on another harddrive just for one thing... Guess my break from PWI will be longer then xD... Lol
    Sage barb in progress.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    http://yadi.sk/d/LuFN--2q5utf8

Version 676, Original Sirens of war release installer. for anyone who wants it
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • $maria$ - Raging Tide
    $maria$ - Raging Tide Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    nikola2148 wrote: »
    ARC suck!!!! go away ARC burn in hell, give us option to chose normal download b:angry
    me too i height ARC sux realy b:cry
    Just gonna leave this here for those who don't check the Quality Corner. You can find the whole response in the June Update in the Quailty Corner. http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1608821

ARC suxb:cry

ARC sux :(
This discussion has been closed.