VOTE: Get rid of ARC and get our downloads back

Comments

• tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    [COLOR=]No your post reflects your lack of understanding of anything[/COLOR]

b:bye
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Steam will be the only True game manager out there! They do it right so all the other gaming companies should quit while they're ahead. Steam took years to become bearable. Now i actually like Steam. Other game managers? Give up. You wont Succeed, unless you make an exact replica of Steam and risk being sued by Valve. Uplay Usuck. Origin fails. Thereb:bye
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pw-cn had a page specifically for buying a license for a private server, they would even help you set it up. There was still royalties you had to pay off any sales. the last i checked it was not there but that does not mean they no longer sell them. At one time i was thinking of contacting them to see if they still offered it. It would be fun to run your own.

And again PWE is a game publisher they do not make PW.

I would like to see a source on that. I've combed through pwcn's website many times and not once have I seen anything that referred to buying licenses for private servers.

Considering how many private servers are out there, and how long it took for them before they started getting close to the current version that pwi/pwcn has, I really doubt wanmei has done this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chuck_smith - Sanctuary
    Chuck_smith - Sanctuary Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I knew PWE don't like new players (don't know why), but what about existing people trying to install on their new computer/laptop?
    Sage barb in progress.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Please take any further private server discussion to the private messaging system.

@thread

I don't know enough about ARC yet to make an informed opinion. But I will say that it'd be nice if there were some direct download options for those that can't run arc. At the very least until they iron out some of the kinks. It's still to new to determine whether or not it's any good yet though, I think. I mean they said on the page they got some kind of chat feature coming soon, hopefully that means it isn't finished rolling out. But who knows, it could just be only chat. xD For now, I think I'll just keep my eye on it.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I knew PWE don't like new players (don't know why), but what about existing people trying to install on their new computer/laptop?

It's been said before in this thread, simply copy over the whole Perfect World International folder to a thumb drive (assuming it's 8 gb or bigger) or to an external HDD and transfer it to any computer to wish to put it on.
    PWI, ARC-less, does not care where you place it at. It simply just works.

If that fails (or you don't have a way of transferring the client over), there are plenty of websites with older versions of PWI on them.

For example,this website has client files going back all the way to 2007 (pre-PWI). Looks like they have the SOW client from February.

That website is based in Australia so the speeds are going to be a bit slow, I'm sure you can find a faster site or torrents elsewhere if you look.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I uninstalled pwi on all of my systems except my laggy desktop a few months ago. I'm returning now and installing is turning out to be nothing more than annoying. ARC is laggy and makes my system run slower than it should. Having it open for this installation is just lagging everything I try to do from watching a YouTube video to playing another game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicEmpress - Lost City
    MagicEmpress - Lost City Posts: 795 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I prefer directly downloading the installer or a compressed version.

Yippie, my choice is winning! b:pleased
  • Kywe - Harshlands
    Kywe - Harshlands Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Arc seems useless for me.
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Bubbles sending a pm reply
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • TruthWarren - Raging Tide
    TruthWarren - Raging Tide Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Perfect World Entertainment should be grateful that someone is taking the time and effort to make this half-assed game more accessible to people. They're already on thin ice as it is. Instead, they do what they always do, try to **** its playerbase over for a little more cash. The worst part about all this is you guys not only let them, you support it.

@tweakz: It's a good thing you're not the person we have to "present a case" to then, isn't it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iwotm8?
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited June 2013

PWE came out with ARC. It's basically their version of Steam. Most of us don't want it, but to download any of the newer content, it's basically forced on us.

It stores all of your login data for your games and has some neat integration features, but where is that data stored, and how secure it is?

So, for those of us that didn't want more **** cluttering our system and posing potential security risks, we avoid using ARC.
    So we found ways to download the client without having to install ARC. I even provided links after those were removed from the Downloads page.

Then PWE got rid of the torrent page, so I provided an alternative. Now PWE has shut down all of the v699 torrents, and my attempts to fire up a new one get shut down rather quickly via a court order PWE has filed.

I am petitioning to bring back the old downloads. I don't want to have to use Pando Media Booster to download the client, I just want to download the installer. I want to be able to use/seed the torrent download so that I can help take some load off of PWE's servers so that they can provide better bandwidth.

Unfortunately, they've determined that they know what's better for us and are forcing ARC down our throats.

Please vote, and let everyone know what your favorite method to download the client is.

Yeahhh! Who do they think they are ~ trying to force dis **** on us!??!!!! >> MICROSOFT & X~BOX-1?!!! ??!! !b:angry

OH wait... They haven't quite made it that far into the disregard the masses bit Yet!...b:surrender

b:embarrassBUT THEY GETTING CLOSER & CLOSER Now Every DAYyyyyy!!!!b:pleasedb:chuckle
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2013
    tweakz wrote: »
    I remember some issues about steam over 10 years ago, but that was more because it wasn't for just one publisher wanting a distribution method that it had issues. I for one do NOT want torrents forced on us. -that requires a program which brings with it vulnerabilities also!
    1. There's isn't anything wrong with security in torrents, and on top of that, using the right torrent software that is integrated with your security software is one of the safest, and most reliable methods of downloading and distributing large file packages.

2. I'm suggesting it as an option, as it has always been up until recently. You should read a bit more thruoughly, and have more knowlege of what you're talking about before you post.
    I would like to see a source on that. I've combed through pwcn's website many times and not once have I seen anything that referred to buying licenses for private servers.

Considering how many private servers are out there, and how long it took for them before they started getting close to the current version that pwi/pwcn has, I really doubt wanmei has done this.
    This is how the old Europe servers started, and also how the Russian, Mexican, and Brazil servers started. I'm at work so I don't have access to my archives, but I still have the website kit that was available with this, and may still have a spider cache of the Wanmei site with the info.
    Meh why the hell are they taking other people torrents down for it.. We don't want the stupid Arc FFS lol.
    Do they detect non-public torrents too, so each faction could just have one, in case computer dies ( and no backup on a HDD) ?
    - personally i got it on two comps and two external HDD's, I got my *** saved for Arc.. lol
    I attempted to make available a torrent that was directed to the official seed on one of my sites. It was locked down in a matter of minutes, and though I can still link it, I'm not certain on how viable is it. (Haven't had the chance to test it yet.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just another annoying background process chewing valuable cpu clock ticks needed to play this game, so I personally avoid all game managers like the plague for this reason alone.
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Argenesis - Raging Tide
    Argenesis - Raging Tide Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just another annoying background process chewing valuable cpu clock ticks needed to play this game, so I personally avoid all game managers like the plague for this reason alone.

This.
    My avatar won't update, I'm not level 38, I swear. b:surrender

Finally 100, now using r8 to farm my t3.
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I remember some issues about steam over 10 years ago, but that was more because it wasn't for just one publisher wanting a distribution method that it had issues. I for one do NOT want torrents forced on us. -that requires a program which brings with it vulnerabilities also!

If you can't even tell where it's stored; maybe it's because it's secure. b:chuckle The fact that you're questioning rather than pointing makes me feel you don't really have a point; just a question.

Nothing is secure on your PC: NOTHING! All your activity can be monitored. There are 7 layers of deletion on HDDs. USA/ Israel have their eyes everywhere.

Usenet, Ed2k, are still around? I'd shut down what I could myself if I were PW. You're inferring here that running an exe from an unknown source is safer than running ARC which sounds ridiculous like conspiracy theory ****.

I have no bandwidth issues. The downloads max my connection rate on DSL. You say you want to help them, but so did that barb that was spending 5 minutes with mobs before bringing them to us in RB with ~1% of their HP gone.

Yep; just like making foi gras.

I have no personal experience with ARC, but you failed to present a case to me. -Sorry.

Your post is riddled with incorrect statements and a strong smell of personal bias. Ten years ago, there were only a few P2P clients available, and a large number of "fake" websites offering them. This was where you could find yourself downloading the latest WinMX, or Kazaa Lite, and it could present itself with a form of as you state "vulnerabilities". While these websites may still exist today, Google doesn't throw them to the top of the search list, thus less people see them.

Torrents don't cause a vulnerability. A stupid person does. Torrent clients don't cause vulnerabilities. A stupid person does. If you download some raunchy file that is only 3kb, but is supposed to be a full video, and is a .exe file, expect to get a virus! That's the person's idiocy, not the client nor torrents.

Other forms of P2P networks still exist, and probably always will.

In any case, the torrent option has existed from late 2008 till about 5/01/13. So, around 5 years. Your post kind of reminds me of something my grandma always said about computers. She doesn't know much about computers, ya see. She goes on and on about how unsecure a computer is if it's connected to the internet. How vital antivirus software is, and how you can get viruses while your computer is powered off and unplugged. It's sillyness, and people need to learn about computers better.

I came to these conclusions years ago after completing my degree in Computer Networking. Sine then, I'm also working on a 4 year in IT. If anyone should know computer and network security, it should be me.
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I dont know much of anything about ARC, but I don't want it. Guess its high time to buy an external hard drive. Thanks PWI for reminding me that I need to do that. :D

I feel that the playerbase should have the right to an option. Some people absolutely love it, and support ARC to the fullest. Others loathe and despise it. I'm one of the latter. I hate the idea of having an unneccessary program running on my pc. By making it mandatory, you force some of your playerbase away. I have several other f2p options on my computer, several games where I play as an endgame character, and there are MANY f2p games out there where other players can go to where they can simply download their games directly. To put things into an honest, and business perspective, let me tell you that I was considering playing Forsaken World, as the vampire class had intrigued me and piqued my interest. As it turns out, I will NOT be downloading Forsaken World due to the fact that I don't want ARC on my computer. It's a poor business move. You see, though I do it very infrequently, I do still charge zen at times.. I do this with the logic that I play my console games and pay for them. Why not support a game that I like and enhance my character. Now, with more pwi games on my computer, you improve your odds that I will charge zen. I have PWI, Neverwinter, and Champions Online on my computer now. Here's the kicker. CO is about to get deleted as I feel that its sub par. Neverwinter has some serious issues that needs to be resolved...especially with that horribly broken cleric class, and healing debuff on myself for even being a cleric...so PWI was the only game where I charged zen at. Forsaken World had a lot of possibilities as I saw it quite similiar to pwi, but that will never happen now as downloading it now requires ARC....thus you automatically lose a potential profit gain. I'll simply download another game that IS NOT PWI RELATED, as all of your PWI games require that unnecessary program now. I understand that the real reason behind ARC is to encourage your playerbase to play your other games, and preferably charge zen for them, thus increasing your overall profit. However your greed in this will cost you more than it will help you. Your competition does not require such a download, and lets be honest. PWI is NOT the true competition of that certain game that runs with Steam, known as Sk***m, you can finish the rest.

Make ARC optional, or risk losing a lot more than you'll gain. That's my take on it, and something that I advise you to take into serious consideration.
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011"

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • lightblades
    lightblades Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    in the meantime while they got this arc bull you can do this:

make a junk account.
    download arc.
    set a good download locations like C/Games/Perfect World
    Download pwi
    then when its finished. just close and uninstall arc.
    go to the location you installed PWI in and go to the launcher folder.
    make a shortcut and then open pwi that way.

works for me. and its patching atm.
  • tweakz
    edited June 2013
    1. There's isn't anything wrong with security in torrents, and on top of that, using the right torrent software that is integrated with your security software is one of the safest, and most reliable methods of downloading and distributing large file packages.

I don't use security software. I'm CompTIA A+ certified, trained in a tech school, and self learned. Even years before that; I stopped using such software for the reasons that it caused system instability, false positives, system overhead, and false sense of protection. I haven't had a single problem as a result for 10+ years now. You will notice that most updates for software like torrent clients mention security and stability which counters your claim. If PWI releases a torrent; that's one thing, but some forum user posting links to a torrent is another. It's not that I don't use a torrent client: it's that I don't want to be a distributor of this software, or use it to download or upload executables from strangers.
    2. I'm suggesting it as an option, as it has always been up until recently. You should read a bit more thruoughly, and have more knowlege of what you're talking about before you post.

Torrent servers cost money. Torrent clients were developed by 3rd parties for the purpose of generating income. -Do you know how they get their income? People using torrent clients tend to use them for pirated software, data, and hacks, and PWI can't verify their security. Torrents are undesirable for a legit software developer plain and simple. Allowing torrents after all the r&d they put into ARC would be a waste otherwise. You might want to consider why they don't allow torrents, and why you're so against ARC.

I still have no personal experience with ARC, but you still fail to make a valid case for allowing torrents, or why you're so against ARC.
  • HuntersPack - Raging Tide
    HuntersPack - Raging Tide Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    where is the "it doesn't matter stop complaining" option?
  • TruthWarren - Raging Tide
    TruthWarren - Raging Tide Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't use security software. I'm CompTIA A+ certified, trained in a tech school, and self learned. Even years before that; I stopped using such software for the reasons that it caused system instability, false positives, system overhead, and false sense of protection. I haven't had a single problem as a result for 10+ years now. You will notice that most updates for software like torrent clients mention security and stability which counters your claim. If PWI releases a torrent; that's one thing, but some forum user posting links to a torrent is another. It's not that I don't use a torrent client: it's that I don't want to be a distributor of this software, or use it to download or upload executables from strangers.

Torrent servers cost money. Torrent clients were developed by 3rd parties for the purpose of generating income. -Do you know how they get their income? People using torrent clients tend to use them for pirated software, data, and hacks, and PWI can't verify their security. Torrents are undesirable for a legit software developer plain and simple. Allowing torrents after all the r&d they put into ARC would be a waste otherwise. You might want to consider why they don't allow torrents, and why you're so against ARC.

I still have no personal experience with ARC, but you still fail to make a valid case for allowing torrents, or why you're so against ARC.

You seem to be the only person that doesn't grasp the point, so I'll try to dumb it down for you. Why do we need another program to "manage" one that we're already perfectly capable of opening and running? Why is said "manager" forced upon us? I highly doubt that any need or want has been expressed for it. PWI is a half-assed game that has a constantly dwindling influx of new players, so why is Perfect World Entertainment bringing the hammer down on an individual making downloading and playing this game more accessible? People don't like change. Especially not when it's forced upon them.

Also, your comments regarding antivirus software causing various issues leads me to believe you're not very educated in the use of computers. The issues you've had are typical of inexperienced computer users. Additionally, your comment regarding torrents lead me to believe you're uninformed about how they work. Torrents rely on Peer-2-Peer (P2P) file sharing, meaning individual users host and distribute data. Servers are rendered unnecessary because of this. They don't make any money, either. I'm not sure where you got the "generating income" part from. No run along little one. Clearly you need to go back to school.

where is the "it doesn't matter stop complaining" option?

It's hidden. You have to unlock it by clicking the "x" button in the top right corner of your browser.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iwotm8?
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Torrents for PWI are safe if PWE is seeding. But then PWE is subject to higher costs in bandwidth usage. There's gotta be a line drawn somewhere - this I can be reasonable about.

ARC isn't just for PWI though, but all their PWE games. Its the new thing. But I see no harm in them removing PWI from ARC.
  • Green_john - Lost City
    Green_john - Lost City Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Arc sux, It always glitch and take spot in my PC
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Don't know I haven't had to use arc to update so I'm not going to vote
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Daftajr - Lost City
    Daftajr - Lost City Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To tired to read all... but when they will put servers all around the world so the speed will be great, torrents is still the best. Anyway ARC some kind of steam right? those chinesee...
  • n523
    n523 Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I haven't downloaded ARC yet. I don't plan on doing it either unless I have a problem. I have not needed it for any PWI updates yet, so I'm not sure how other people are being "forced" to DL it and use it.

Since I don't have it I'm not 100% sure what it is, but it sounds like the same sort of thing every other F2P game has. You install updates and download directly from the arc thing, instead of individual patchers for each game. Every other F2P game I have played has used one, and while I prefer the single-game patcher, it's not all that terrible. You can close them all out once you launch the game.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Torrents for PWI are safe if PWE is seeding. But then PWE is subject to higher costs in bandwidth usage. There's gotta be a line drawn somewhere - this I can be reasonable about.

ARC isn't just for PWI though, but all their PWE games. Its the new thing. But I see no harm in them removing PWI from ARC.

higher bandwidth costs compared to what? this makes zero sense, torrents reduce the amount of bandwidth pwi would use as those that are currently downloading the client are at the same time uploading it to others, torrents create an absolute minimal amount of bandwidth overhead, not to mention greatly reduce the number of corrupt/interrupted downloads that need to be restarted
  • tweakz
    edited June 2013
    Ok, this sounds like just another qq thread.

OMIG! I don't want the latest update! It takes more space on my HDD! It has new bugs -oh my! They didn't need an update; game is fine since day one! What if the update exposes all the freaky adult films I dl to the world? I don't want better stats for free! I know better than the devs about how to program and operate a corporation!

-same old, same old.
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am so afraid that I'll have to reinstall PW one day and have to get ARC.
    I DO NOT want ARC, I just want my direct downloads and keep **** off my computer.
    Why can't PWE just listen to what their consumers want for a change -_-.
  • Annonrae - Sanctuary
    Annonrae - Sanctuary Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am so afraid that I'll have to reinstall PW one day and have to get ARC.

Has probably been said before: copy the pre-Arc Perfect World International folder ( the one that is on your computer right now, and ALL of it ) onto an external hard drive or USB stick or burn it to CD. That way you'll have a working client as 'backup', no need to download Arc in case your comp goes on the fritz and you need to reinstall the game.

That said... I voted for Torrents. I haven't touched Arc and I won't, not even to try it out. Why should I? From reading about it, it offers nothing I want. I can 'manage' my games myself and I consider all the extra 'frills' to be useless. YMMV and all that.
This discussion has been closed.