Options
2»

Comments

• Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    We need a pedobear smiley.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Quizeburio - Raging Tide
    Quizeburio - Raging Tide Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Good I'm not the only one. I can't stand them, They are extremely creepy. Luckily RT doesn't have very many (If any) of them.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    That's kinda just your opinion though. b:bye Nothing creepy about it IMO.

I am aware that it is my opinion. I asked why you called him a prude. That was your opinion and a label that I do not think fits the situation at hand nor the reaction he provided.

Physical attraction, and the characteristics thereof, is fairly straight-forward in biological terms. Child-like facial features are meant to symbolize what, exactly? I've never understood the fascination with the sexualization of young characteristics so very popular in... lots of things really. I personally think it's creepy and is a pretty strong indicator of some not-so-savoury qualities in a person. Does that make me biased? Yeah. Does that make me a prude? No.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • RyuTiger - Raging Tide
    RyuTiger - Raging Tide Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Some "Dolls" look like aliens, some look handicaps and some look like little girls in women body so no matter how you put it they are ugly. No offense for those who have but they just dont look normal. Lucky us we dont have many of that on our server. b:chuckle
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options

***Minor Rant**

I know this will get some form of backlash, I'm prepared and who knows might not be too harsh. Wasn't sure if this should go in screen shot which deal with characters or here, but if not kindly move it there where it should be thanks! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~

This is just something I been meaning to ask with people who do these types of character looks ever since INI Editing was permitted. And yes, everyone has a right to style as they wish as long as its in guidelines etc etc ~ moving along while covering my own corners. What is the deal with this type? These, child~anime~pouty characters? The big eyes, tiny tiny lips and frown to boot? Why the sad face? Did you scrap your knee? lol I've crossed a vast amount of female players (a handful of males too) strolling () through the game in these types. Some faces work nice while others just look down right creepy, but overall my question is what is so adorable about them if a lot of people have this "unique" look? You aren't so if plenty have this style, ijs. I can possibly label a great amount of players who use this style but I'm not due to privacy issuse. I'm not saying they are all terrible, some look adorable, likely its their coloring but its overwhelming to see them. Sure, dont like them, dont worry yeah yeah I know but you can't help people for asking and wondering about what draws so many do this other than its cuteness. Sure, on the eca website when you see veno weapons majority of the venos pictures are stick thin and same faces. . its anime style w.e ..again its just . .so *shrug*

I know I'm not the only one who feels this curious about this popular type and I'm not saying to stop, its your choice etc etc just . . . eye-roll worthy when you cross so many of them. PWI should just make this part of a preset if so many are doing it and be done with it.

f:meh

Just be glad that nobodies decided to truly start To Mass Produce CLONES of 'HONEY BUBUuu CHILD' Quite Yet...

f:shh...{b:dirty~b:kiss}...f:gross
  • Nedira - Dreamweaver
    Nedira - Dreamweaver Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I am aware that it is my opinion. I asked why you called him a prude. That was your opinion and a label that I do not think fits the situation at hand nor the reaction he provided.
    I thought that the smiley would have made it clear that it was a joke. Guess I better work more on my social skills, huh?
    Physical attraction, and the characteristics thereof, is fairly straight-forward in biological terms. Child-like facial features are meant to symbolize what, exactly? I've never understood the fascination with the sexualization of young characteristics so very popular in... lots of things really. I personally think it's creepy and is a pretty strong indicator of some not-so-savoury qualities in a person. Does that make me biased? Yeah. Does that make me a prude? No.
    Youth and prolonged fertility, as I understand it.

It really has nothing to do with the good or bad qualities in a person, nor does it indicate a person's willingness to commit harmful sexual acts toward children. It actually has nothing to do with actual children. And besides, this particular issue is about how we want to look... not how others are attractive to us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    That's kinda just your opinion though. b:bye Nothing creepy about it IMO.

Just because you're not creeped out doesn't mean other people shouldn't be. I can't help but cringe every time I see a doll face.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I thought that the smiley would have made it clear that it was a joke. Guess I better work more on my social skills, huh?

Might be a good idea, then. Lest people insult you for no real reason.
    It really has nothing to do with the good or bad qualities in a person, nor does it indicate a person's willingness to commit harmful sexual acts toward children. It actually has nothing to do with actual children.

If the shoe fits.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Nedira - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Just because you're not creeped out doesn't mean other people shouldn't be. I can't help but cringe every time I see a doll face.
    For what it's worth, I was scared to death of them as a child. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    For what it's worth, I was scared to death of them as a child. b:sad

I'm referring to the PWI characters, not actual dolls.
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    This thread and this post on the MLP board seem to go paw in paw.... p-p They're all... weird and... they even made Rarity look deformed, ahhh, Rarity D:!!
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Enthana - Heavens Tear
    Enthana - Heavens Tear Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Well personally most of my chars have the doll look simply because i think it looks cute...
    From day one i started playing this game i tried to make my chars as "cute" looking as possible (round face big eyes) and i been keeping that style. I remember from early lvls i was asked many times if i was Asian and didn't understand why before a guy explained to me my toon looked anime alike. I live in a country where anime/manga isn't as popular like it is in many other countries and i have barely watched or read any anime or manga so i cant really say i got inspiration from that.
    In my early lvls it happened i got complimented for my doll looking chars every now and then but by time i got less and less positive comments about it and nowdays it almost never happens and instead i get alot of hateful comments from people (which never happened when i started play). Also alot of people told me they expected me to have a much more "innocent/annoying/cute/childish" personality then i do which really surprised me. Not that i really care whether people like or hate how my toons look like but the hate comments i get sometimes are ridiculous and i cant understand why people care so much how customize them... I see ALOT of chars i personally think looks like something that the cat dragged in but it would never on earth fall me in to pm these people telling them how ugly i think their chars are and neither do i think less of them just because they choose to customize their chars in a way that i don't find normal or good looking.

Last 2 years i see more and more people going for the doll look and in a way i wasn't too happy about it since i started to feel like my chars weren't as unique as they used to be but then again i love the doll look so i do understand why people are drawn to it. I do though think that many of the doll looking chars does not look cute what so ever and more alien alike then anything else but i cant say it really bothers me.

And about the sad expression...well i think the opinions about that is pretty splitted up. I seen alot of doll chars that have a smile on their face and others who look really sad. Personally i don't like smiling chars at all whether its on "normal" looking chars or doll chars (makes me want to ask em "and what is so funny huh>_>"). A more neutral or a slightly more concerned/sad expression simply look less blank/poker face alike in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Er well, I guess I'm so desensitized to the 'look' that it doesn't seem weird or unexpected to me. Considering there are other games that pretty much start out with that general design as the basic option, it's no surprise that people who like that style would use the ini opportunity here. I don't even think it's really that common. More I get surprised when I think "oh, that's an earthguard" and it turns out to be an untamed or an elf.
    If I wasn't so fundamentally lazy I would probably give all my chars earthguard eyes and hair, because they're so beeeutiful, but I doubt I would go all out chibi on them, since I basically like how all my chars look, just would like to give them the best graphical option... since nobody wants to update the old class graphics b:angry

I will say though, whenever I see kitten barbs with those over the top cute eyes and small mouth I just wanna hug them into oblivion b:chuckle

What are these characters but dolls for us to play with? Dance for me puppets, dance!
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    This thread and this post on the MLP board seem to go paw in paw.... p-p They're all... weird and... they even made Rarity look deformed, ahhh, Rarity D:!!

...wow. They're really going for that whole furry audience, aren't they? ******n.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • SinfulLia - Archosaur
    SinfulLia - Archosaur Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Well personally most of my chars have the doll look simply because i think it looks cute...
    From day one i started playing this game i tried to make my chars as "cute" looking as possible (round face big eyes) and i been keeping that style. I remember from early lvls i was asked many times if i was Asian and didn't understand why before a guy explained to me my toon looked anime alike. I live in a country where anime/manga isn't as popular like it is in many other countries and i have barely watched or read any anime or manga so i cant really say i got inspiration from that.
    In my early lvls it happened i got complimented for my doll looking chars every now and then but by time i got less and less positive comments about it and nowdays it almost never happens and instead i get alot of hateful comments from people (which never happened when i started play). Also alot of people told me they expected me to have a much more "innocent/annoying/cute/childish" personality then i do which really surprised me. Not that i really care whether people like or hate how my toons look like but the hate comments i get sometimes are ridiculous and i cant understand why people care so much how customize them... I see ALOT of chars i personally think looks like something that the cat dragged in but it would never on earth fall me in to pm these people telling them how ugly i think their chars are and neither do i think less of them just because they choose to customize their chars in a way that i don't find normal or good looking.

Last 2 years i see more and more people going for the doll look and in a way i wasn't too happy about it since i started to feel like my chars weren't as unique as they used to be but then again i love the doll look so i do understand why people are drawn to it. I do though think that many of the doll looking chars does not look cute what so ever and more alien alike then anything else but i cant say it really bothers me.

And about the sad expression...well i think the opinions about that is pretty splitted up. I seen alot of doll chars that have a smile on their face and others who look really sad. Personally i don't like smiling chars at all whether its on "normal" looking chars or doll chars (makes me want to ask em "and what is so funny huh>_>"). A more neutral or a slightly more concerned/sad expression simply look less blank/poker face alike in my opinion.

That font and size made my eyes bleed
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    Apostasy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    This entire thread boils down to complete opinion... If it is about liking or disliking a "look"... it is opinion.

Next will be Venomancers MUST be arcane geared only threads... Or psys MUST stay in black voodoo threads...

It's like taking a bucket of paint, throwing at a wall and calling that art... to me, it's just not art... but to others, it is... (and no, that is not to compare the "dollface" look to the bucket thing, it's just as an example.)... Me personally, I come up with plenty of different looks for my characters, I wouldnt mind having 1 dollface on a knock around alt.

If there is going to be another plague of something however, why cant it be a plague of Anna Chapmans, Olivia Munns , Olsen Twins, Lindsey Stirlings, Cameron Diazs, Aliyahs, Jessica Albas, Hannah Davises, Kaley Cuocos and Nikki Minajs b:dirty Oh please dont make that the next plague, Id lose every battle b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nedira - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Words
    Best post in this entire thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    a plague of Anna Chapmans, Olivia Munns , Olsen Twins, Lindsey Stirlings, Cameron Diazs, Aliyahs, Jessica Albas, Hannah Davises, Kaley Cuocos and Nikki Minajs
    I don't know who any of these people are OTL

Throwing paint at a wall is more similar to modern art than dollfaces, methinks D: Like Jack the Dripper's paintings, where he'd take house-paint and drip it over canvases which rested on the ground. (Slightily different, but more similar in a way which isn't just redundant ie. throwing paint at walls=throwing pa-- sorry. x3)

"Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MikoTenshi - Sanctuary
    MikoTenshi - Sanctuary Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    To each their own but in my opinion, they all look hideous and have an expression saying "please kill me now"

That's when I say something like, come kill me if you can :p.

But since people think my toon is ugly, I have no comment. I still get a lot of compliments on my toons so I'm cool with it b:pleased Everyone have their own style anyway. Just like how I think a good portion of non baby toons look ugly as **** but I'm not ranting since everyone has their look "perfect look".

However I don't get what is the point of ranting. It's legal in this game now and we are not going to change just cause you say something. I don't know -shrug-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Siggy made by Silvychar <3
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I would go into it but to much text. So here are two links.

Eye Styles Origin

Eyes/Mouth/Nose/Facial Expession/Character Design (Application)
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sterlina - Sanctuary
    Sterlina - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    There's another popular Korean MMORPG where one of the races you can pick its basically made of only female little girls.

-URL removed-

Now, aside the pedo-aspect, what I find disturbing is that you actually PvP like in any other game and so you end up actually killing those little girls -- which I find pretty disturbing.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I would go into it but to much text. So here are two links.

Eye Styles Origin

Eyes/Mouth/Nose/Facial Expession/Character Design (Application)

Anime has it's own rules for proportions so that these features come out looking out more normal, in their own way. There seems to be no paying attention those, and as a result they look nothing like anime chars. The only thing they have in common is big eyes. I have never seen even one where I could tell it was supposed to be some anime char, they really look nothing alike. Because not enough attention is paid to the nose, mouth, body proportions. People just give it the same eye and hair color, max out the eyes and call it anime. When you look at anime, you can even see relative ages of supposed chars based off these proportions, even when though they have big eyes. I think looks wise they are probably closer to the Korean dolls out there http://www.koreanfashiononline.com/wp-content/uploads/korean_lifestyle_items_pictures/2006/korean_dolls_dod/korean_doll_dod_01.jpg since they have overly elongated foreheads and unnaturally small noses, wheres as anime noses come in a wide-variety of sizes but often just the tip of the nose is drawn. When they turn to the side, you see a nose that is proportional as far as anime porportions though even though they are not human porportions. I've noticed that a lot of dolls that I personally find more well done keep these facial structures in mind and don't have overly huge foreheads, have noses even if they are smaller, etc. :P They also tend to look good from the side, not just one angle.

I have seen some really well done dolls though, that do not fall prey to the easy pitfalls and come out looking really adorable.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Anime has it's own rules for proportions so that these features come out looking out more normal, in their own way. There seems to be no paying attention those, and as a result they look nothing like anime chars. The only thing they have in common is big eyes.

They are imitiating the art. Some just aren't as talented as others.

I have never seen even one where I could tell it was supposed to be some anime char, they really look nothing alike. Because not enough attention is paid to the nose, mouth, body proportions. People just give it the same eye and hair color, max out the eyes and call it anime. When you look at anime, you can even see relative ages of supposed chars based off these proportions, even when though they have big eyes. I think looks wise they are probably closer to the Korean dolls out there http://www.koreanfashiononline.com/wp-content/uploads/korean_lifestyle_items_pictures/2006/korean_dolls_dod/korean_doll_dod_01.jpg since they have overly elongated foreheads and unnaturally small noses, wheres as anime noses come in a wide-variety of sizes but often just the tip of the nose is drawn. When they turn to the side, you see a nose that is proportional as far as anime porportions though even though they are not human porportions. I've noticed that a lot of dolls that I personally find more well done keep these facial structures in mind and don't have overly huge foreheads, have noses even if they are smaller, etc. :P They also tend to look good from the side, not just one angle.

I have seen some really well done dolls though, that do not fall prey to the easy pitfalls and come out looking really adorable.

The dolls are influenced by works of art such as anime and manga.

"Many BJD owners have other interests such as anime, Gothic lolita and cosplay, and some dress their dolls in related styles. BJDs can often be seen dressed in contemporary and casual youth fashions like punk or goth. Other dolls may display fantasy elements like elf ears, vampire fangs, different types of wings, horns, hooves, and cyborg parts.

Doll manufacturers sometimes base BJDs on characters from anime, manga, other works of fiction, or even historical figures. Some BJD owners similarly customize their dolls to create one-off representations of existing characters or celebrities."

"

See answers in red above. Thanks.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nedira - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The dolls are influenced by works of art such as anime and manga.
    And anime was influenced by western art such as early Disney characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Options
    And anime was influenced by western art such as early Disney characters.

Yes. Posted that in a link already thanks.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    See answers in red above. Thanks.

I know what the dolls are, but they look more akin to them than anime characters. The constraints of the medium usually end up giving the dolls certain characteristics, those characteristics are also present in many of these doll like toons. For example, it's not possible for them to have noses the same anime characters do, they minimize it to a small bump (a lot of them do) even when turned to the side there isn't as much of a human skull aesthetic as there is with a real anime characters. Many of the dolls here take the same approach but because of the physics of the game it doesn't work as well as when they just do things like that and they really should take into my mind proportions. :P
    http://getoffmyinternets.net/avatars/betty_spaghetti.jpg

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
    Wickedbrew - Raging Tide Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    As an artist myself with two degrees, I personally never did like anime style art. I don't care for big doe eyes, little girl facial features, etc. I especially don't like male characters that try to be chibi-ish. In PW, there have only been a couple of female characters I've seen on RT that I think looked decent enough, but most are just really bad, or way way overdone.

Not to say I would flame someone who has a "doll" character...its their perogative, their account, and their choice, but only a couple really have eye for it, the rest fail miserably.
    WeBeKinky Leader - lvl 10x psychic

If you don't like my attitude, you should realize I don't care.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
  • Lucrecia - Momaganon
    Lucrecia - Momaganon Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    mmmh to me they look creepy yeah and i never thought of them as cute .... but really i dont mind it as long as they dont act like anime chars lol.

To me, the big pumped up bms and those large **** are ugly too, as well as a dark skin color ( only fitting to some EGs and TBs imo). I usually like everything as bright as possible xD But hey, its not my char and whats to me beautiful can be ugly to others as well, so i dont care actually unless they put great amounts of unfitting make up on it .... then i sometimes worry about the other person :T
    Do you believe in life before death?