:( Unable to Update

Options

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    ^ good advice

Update is 1.1 gigabytes. It is going to take a little bit. The manual patch downloaded well for me (I had to do a fresh 658 install), and then I ran the 658-676 manual patch. I had to restart the launcher a few times, but once it started, it took about 15 minutes to install the update.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • ftl
    ftl Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    If they so often happen, why have I not heard of it until now? Look, I like you. I respect the panda. You have done from what I have seen the best of anyone on these forums with this issue, and I recognize the validity of PWI. PWI rocks and is very trustworthy. I do not think they intended this. The reason I titled this post and brought up the issue as I did is because it is not being treated in the right manner. A Trojan is a Trojan is a Trojan, and the possibility of it being a false positive is not a good enough reason to overlook it as threat because a Trojan is a fatal security breach. It would be stupid not to take a Trojan threat seriously for anyone who has a sense of personal responsibility. Must I explain what a Trojan can do? This problem is very widespread among your users. It needs to be fixed, not dismissed or overlooked or ignored. I am sure you could come up with a way to deal with this without overlooking the security implications, but you don't want to because that would be expensive. I understand. You may be completely right that it is just a glitch, but what you are doing is overlooking the security standards because it doesn't suit the production needs of your system, and that is just risky and bad management.
  • augustfinknottle
    augustfinknottle Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    ftl wrote: »
    A Trojan is a Trojan is a Trojan

It is NOT a trojan. Antivirus (especially AVG) are constantly wrong about many things. It's not because the AV thinks there'll be a security breach that it exists. Symantec website (Norton AV developer) describes it as

"a false detection or false alarm, occurs when an antivirus program detects a known virus string in an uninfected file. The file, while not infected with an actual virus, does contain a string of characters that matches a string from an actual virus.

A false positive can also occur when a program performs an action, which appears to the antivirus program to be a virus-like activity."

It also says that "Examples of such activity can include, but are not limited to, writing to the master boot record of the hard disk, making changes to a system file, or running a custom macro in a program such as Microsoft Word."

It goes on and concludes that "False detections, once confirmed, are usually corrected as soon as possible". I doubt any AV software has had time to update with the newest patch released by PWI.

Don't worry, it is safe.
  • Arjunro - Heavens Tear
    Arjunro - Heavens Tear Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have wasted 6 hours trying to patch this game only to get an error on the auto patch and corrupt file on the manuel patch is anyone else having this issue?
    i haven't even ran into the virus issue yet

i tried what the guy said he did in this http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1519851 thread but i don't have a client running in the background that i can't see?
  • ftl
    ftl Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Thank you august and panda. It does not make sense that PWI would ever want to do anything like this. I do also believe it is an error in anti-virus systems. I would even delete this thread, but for me the issues needed to be dealt with more clearly, and your answers are the ones I needed to see.
  • delicatee
    delicatee Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Which file are you using? 658 or 670?
    I have wasted 6 hours trying to patch this game only to get an error on the auto patch and corrupt file on the manuel patch is anyone else having this issue?

i tried what the guy said he did in this http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1519851 thread but i don't have a client running in the background that i can't see?
  • lo324
    lo324 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options

i have also tried all this 9 times now and i have the latest dl as well

i think pwi have muffed up the codeing again

and nothing is running in the background

please look in to this pwi

trivos

p.s. i have also down loded both patches and tryed it manual and it keeps cruppting the maiun client and i have the anti and fire wall off

think thay need to take a real look at this problum insted of letting ppl work arround it
  • varnold2007
    varnold2007 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    been trying to update game since 9 am this morning and still no luck first tried using the auto patch and no luck there, uninstalled the game then installed it and manually downloaded the patch still same error message saying windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. i am trying to download the new update as the computer administrator and still isn't working. all anti-virus programs r completely shut down and still no luck. any other ideas on how to get this to work
  • Arjunro - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Right now im using 670-676
  • AmethystMist - Heavens Tear
    AmethystMist - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Mines updating i German I am in EN1 i tried over and over to get it to change this update is messed up
  • delicatee
    edited November 2012
    Options
    At which file does the patcher stop n shows the corrupt file message?
  • delicatee
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Download this: http://pwi-ns.perfectworld.com/patches/manual/ec_patch_670-676.cup

When download done, make sure there is no active elementclient.exe process running or just restart computer.

Doubleclick and open it with PerfectWorld Patcher or start Patcher (@varnold: Right click Patcher icon and choose "Run as Admin") and click on "Manual".

Play game.
  • Arjunro - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    delicatee wrote: »
    At which file does the patcher stop n shows the corrupt file message?

It doesn't say it just stops updating and says please wait updating files then pops up with an error i can't manually patch cause it still says corrupted i already restarted my laptop twice. It hasn't said the file names at all just " Updating files..." Please wait...." and then at some point the error pops up with the patcher and luancher. i can't just open the patch and run it i get a corrupted message
  • delicatee
    edited November 2012
    Options
    The error msg doesnt output the file name but if you look at the Patcher window, you can see the file(s) it currently processes and when the error message pops up you can see the file it processed last in the Patcher window itself.

Edit: Do you patch manual or automatic? Try maybe doubleclicking the .cup file itself and open with patcher.exe (PWPatcher) only, not Launcher.exe (PWLauncher).
  • NanaFoxy - Dreamweaver
    NanaFoxy - Dreamweaver Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have downloaded the patch in the link thats posted above me. Installing it now. Hope it works otherwise i'm out of options.
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Guys don't bother with the German news with this update there is a small glitch , the game is still in english .And the shall be fixed soon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • Arjunro - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    The error msg doesnt output the file name but if you look at the Patcher window, you can see the file(s) it currently processes and when the error message pops up you can see the file it processed last in the Patcher window itself.

Edit: do you patch manual or automatic?

I can not see the file names as i usually do above the loading bars, they only say "updating files.." "please wait" the bar on the right is blinking which should mean its downloading the bar on the left has not moved within the last hour and is still not event half way. I closed the patcher earlier , when i reopened it, i continued from where i left off and the bar seemd to have move farther. but its not left that spot since then. i cannot tell you what file its on cuase its not telling me.

and normally when i patch its only checked under manuel? i just hit continue and it would patch just fine. didn't work this time.
  • NanaFoxy - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Meh it doesnt work... Anything else i can do?
  • delicatee
    edited November 2012
    Options
    This reads like automatic patching. Try maybe doubleclicking the .cup file itself and open with <yourpwifolder>\patcher\patcher.exe (PWPatcher) when/if it asks you which software to use to open it (not Launcher.exe (PWLauncher)).
  • Arjunro - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    This reads like automatic patching. Try maybe doubleclicking the .cup file itself and open with patcher.exe (PWPatcher) when/if it asks you which software to use to open it (not Launcher.exe (PWLauncher)).

I did try that earlier after restarting laptop and opening with patcher all i get is corrupted message
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Is your PWI Files/Folders added in the exception list of ur anti-virus /firewall ?
    If no then your anti-virus messed up with the Patch file.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nagrown1
    nagrown1 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    ive tried everything and still cant get the new update the cup link isnt there anymore and it keeps telling me to try other patcher, this doesnt workk either ..wth is up with this ?
  • NanaFoxy - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Is your PWI Files/Folders added in the exception list of ur anti-virus /firewall ?
    If no then your anti-virus messed up with the Patch file.

Virusscan and firewall are turned off while doing the whole process because i have no idea how to put pwi and such in the exception. So that's not the problem either.

I've restarted my pc, checked if theres anything pwi related running in the background and still nothing :(
  • Ayrius - Sanctuary
    Ayrius - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ok, I gave up on auto-patching, because it just wasn't doing anything. So I downloaded the manual path 670-678 from the PWI website. It says its its updating/installing files. (litmodels, currently) But it's been doing this for like 10 minutes, and I still dont see the progress bar on the left side, under "Updating files..." How long is this supposed to take?
  • NanaFoxy - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    Options
  • delicatee
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Try maybe using the Patcher with an admin account (right click, run as admin). Also make sure you dont have anything PWI related software running (check Task Manager) but patcher.exe.

Worst case: Start automatic patching (needs also admin rights) before you go to sleep and leave it on for the night. It resumes broken downloads automatically it seems, no idea how many times tho.
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited November 2012
    Options
    It will take a bit of time depending on u system since this is a huge update be patient.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Use The Verify option maybe it can be helpful for you at this situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nagrown1
    nagrown1 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    ty for the info thats working i think
  • NanaFoxy - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I did the process again, canceled the update thing where the client asked for. Still the client is prepairing to update. I'll just let it do his thing.. Maybe thats what i had to do. It goes really slow so might take a few hours.

If this doesnt work, ill do the verify thing :)