Upgrade or don't play

Options

Comments

• FluffyAngel - Dreamweaver
    FluffyAngel - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Upgrading to Dx9.0c made a small fps improvement. I'm currently running on a Pentium D (those who are techie know how old this cpu is) 3gb DDR2 Ram and an old 9800gt. Game works fine and can even run the latest games on high detail (minus the antialiasing).

Posting your specs would help. In general PC's old between 3-5 years can handle PWI very well with the right upgrade.

If you're on a tight budget your best bet is more ram and a video card. I can try to helping you run the game with your current specs but I definitely will need more info about your pc.

Trust me I'm a medic b:victory
  • xghostx16
    xghostx16 Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I do know each and every piece of hardware in my case. I also know some people are just being spiteful. The guy talking about spyware wasn't "just trying to help". I know all of that and I am still calm. I am not the only one in the same situation, I am well aware of this.

I will not be able to upgrade anything for the foreseeable future. I don't blame anyone for this. It is what it is. All I have tried to do since I started this thread is let PWI know they've made a big blunder. They are alienating a large part of their player base, seem to be aware of this and not care. I keep looking for something, from someone with PWI that knows otherwise, to say something. It seems I am looking for this in vain.

I did not expect any sympathy from the majority of posters on this forum either. And I'm not surprised at some of the postings already.

How to you know that they are "alienating" a large part of there player base? For all you know it could be below 100 people who have this problem.
    How do you know that they are "aware" of the problem? and better yet, how do you know that they don't "care"?
    For all you know, they are working on fixing it now.
  • _MonoxidE_ - Sanctuary
    _MonoxidE_ - Sanctuary Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    My gf plays this game on an emachine w3644 2.1ghz 2gb ram that was bought 4-5 yrs ago. She plays just fine.

edit: only update she had to do was directx
  • TobiasTiger - Lost City
    TobiasTiger - Lost City Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    xghostx16 wrote: »
    How to you know that they are "alienating" a large part of there player base? For all you know it could be below 100 people who have this problem.

I see all the different posts from people saying the same thing. It should not matter if they are below 100 or not.
    xghostx16 wrote: »
    How do you know that they are "aware" of the problem? and better yet, how do you know that they don't "care"?
    For all you know, they are working on fixing it now.

I certainly hope they are aware of the problems, especially since the forums have been burning up with posts about it. I have seen one post, by the PandaTechSupport dude that indicates PWI may be working on it. I have seen no posts by anyone with PWI saying anything else. That tells me they don't care. If they did they would tell us something else besides "upgrade your system".

I do hope they are working on a fix. The way they are handling these problems...Let's just say someone needs some more training in PR.
  • MysLibby - Raging Tide
    MysLibby - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I believe that this thread is valid.. because in a sense, not only will the people who can't play the game not play anymore, but friends of those people in the game will likely quit, as well..
    My boyfriend had even told me if I'm not able to play anymore we'll take our business elsewhere since pwi can't accomodate the game to people who cannot afford to upgrade to newer systems WHICH we should NOT have to do, but if thats the poor business tactic they wanna use, so be it.
  • xghostx16
    xghostx16 Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I'm going to give them a week. If it's not fixed by then or any news of being fixed then I think it is safe to say that it's not going to be fixed.
    :(
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If you can't play with directx 9, it won't be a bad idea to spend an extra 30 bucks on a graphics card capable of doing so.

It's been out for so long, if you don't have the specs for it then gl trying to use anything else coming out in the next ten years.
    Technology moves at such a fast pace now, upgrades like this shouldn't be even required, should be the norm...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Roland - Harshlands
    Roland - Harshlands Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Tobias, would you like assistance? or do you just want to QQ? If you would like assistance, please post your system specs. It is my understanding that you have a Geforce4 vid card is that correct? Is it AGP or PCI? Maybe run dxdiag and post the info?
    "WHOA, CALM DOWN HOLY JESUS **** NIPPLES IT'S JUST A GAME" - Longknife
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Tobias, would you like assistance? or do you just want to QQ? If you would like assistance, please post your system specs. It is my understanding that you have a Geforce4 vid card is that correct? Is it AGP or PCI? Maybe run dxdiag and post the info?

I do believe he is just here to complain and nothing else as there are very easy solutions to these problems its likely its something tobias overlooked. (happens to the best of us :3)

Whats more is I cannot imagine you can't upgrade at any point during the 3 years you have played this game. Quite simply put aside a couple of bucks a week (maybe more if its monthly say 5 or 6) and upgrade your computer eventually. You realize it only takes like no more then 800 bucks to have a godly computer more so since you can put it together yourself. That 300 dollar estimate isn't that far off it will provide you will quite a decent PC if you listen to people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaggerSin_ - Heavens Tear
    DaggerSin_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

I been running through his posts and still nothing on his machine, I agree with the above person, I think he is just here to QQ. What he fails to realize, there are some people here that would help him if he would calm his *** down and want it. But I fear you will waste your time on someone like that.
    BarbHammer - 95 - Retired

DaggerSin_ - 101 - Active
  • lvl60togekiss
    lvl60togekiss Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Although people who cannot afford to spend money on the game, they contribute to it, its those people who buy the gold in-game from paying customers, one of the reasons why people put money into the game to get fast coin.
  • DaggerSin_ - Heavens Tear
    DaggerSin_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Although people who cannot afford to spend money on the game, they contribute to it, its those people who buy the gold in-game from paying customers, one of the reasons why people put money into the game to get fast coin.

You are right, the reason people spend money is they know the gold will sell to those that don't spend money. I am one of the people to buy the gold in AH and sell it outside of AH to make a larger profit to buy more.
    BarbHammer - 95 - Retired

DaggerSin_ - 101 - Active
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Numerous people have told me to calm down. Have they not seen how many times I've said I am calm.

Everything that has been posted to try and fix this issue I have done. I am still working, between movies, on this problem myself. I am not here asking anyone for anything except PWI to respond officially in any kind of manner.

I am tired of working to fix a game I used to play for fun. Working on fixing this game is NOT why I downloaded it. I'm just telling PWI that I will go away if they don't fix this. I am NOT the only one. I know personally someone who does spend money on this game that will also quit. I am sure my friend and I are not the only ones that will leave and take our spending habits with us, what ever they may be. Just imagine how many people that play this game and don't post on the forums feel the same way.
  • tiffaniee2k11
    tiffaniee2k11 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    i had the game already & it updated perfectly fine , but all of a sudden it uninstalled itself & i'm wondering why . i downloaded that directx 9.0 thing still nothing , i manually download it but it wont work without wingzip or something like that now i downloaded the regular way & it said error now how the **** do i install the game ? i did everything it said to do & i'm getting pissed off i was waiting til the 15th its been 2 days now that i didn't play . & no one is helping me soo can someone HELP WITH THIS **** PLEASE
  • Sirkura - Raging Tide
    Sirkura - Raging Tide Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    So from everything I've seen, PWI is basically telling those of us that have slightly older systems, that we need to upgrade our computers or not play. And it also seems like some players, who can play after this new patch, say the same thing. Well, for various reasons, most of us can't do that.

I'm on permanent disability with a very small, limited income. I live by myself, all of my family is out of town if not out of state and not a lot of them left these days anyway. When I first started this game 3+ years ago it played great on the same computer I have. It's a shame I wasted those 3+ years on a company like PWI.

So PWI if you say upgrade or don't play, I have to say I wont play then. And PWI you're really not very smart, in a business sense, by doing this.

no they said to update directx wich is completely free i might add >.> they did an update to the game engines so things run smoother and can handle even higher graphics if implemented. srsly its a 5 minute download and install.

edit: ohh and for those having issues installing install it as administrator. it makes changes to the hard drive so won't install unless u tell it to.
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    FWIW, it's still technically possible to run PWI on Windows 98. (I just did it and I feel dirty.) So, those of you shouting "YOU MUST UPGRADE THINGS TO PLAY" seem to have a problem with downloading an official update from Microsoft, since you've failed to post anything specific that would indicate otherwise.

How about it? Give us a DxDiag report so we can try to, as a community, help PWE figure out specifics?

I mean, if it runs on Windows 98 (which hasn't been supported by PWI for a couple years now, officially), there's something on your end that is at fault somehow. Just posting "FIX IT" won't help PWE fix it, and there are a few sharp tools on the forum (though they are, admittedly, in the minority) who have done tech support for games for pay for some time (and some of those tools are still doing it, my condolences b:chuckle).

Seriously, if people are going to just whine and not post anything constructive to get their issues resolved, can I petition a mod to start going around to close those threads? b:surrender
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
    edited February 2012
    Options
    How many times do I have to say it. Everything that has been posted online about these problems I have done. I am working on some other stuff that has not been posted about and if these things work for me I will let people know about them.

When I am done with the things I am trying, if I feel like staying with this game I will post everything I tried, everything posted and everything not posted.

Although that probably will not happen. I will probably just leave PW. There is not any reason in the world why a customer and player should have to work this hard and this long just to play a game that worked perfectly fine before on the same fully updated system.
  • MyuMyu - Harshlands
    MyuMyu - Harshlands Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    How about it? Give us a DxDiag report so we can try to, as a community, help PWE figure out specifics?

This. No one can help if they dont know where is the wrong part.

I will probably just leave PW.

bye?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    How many times do I have to say it. Everything that has been posted online about these problems I have done.

Can you link to your DxDiag? I missed it.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • Pensil - Harshlands
    Pensil - Harshlands Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    It's not PWI's fault. Every new game, since, don't know, 2006? requires you to have DX9 compatible graphics card. If you can play Call of Duty on max settings, you have DX9 compatible card.

So problem is not in hardware, it's in software. You don't need to spend anything, since DX update is free.

If you have Windows XP, you can have DirectX 9.0c. That's newest version that is supported in XP. That's why PWI is using DX9, since they don't want to force users to quit or buy Windows 7 and new graphics cards just to be able to run game in DX11.

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can have DirectX 11. If you have DX11, you can play all DX11, DX10.1, DX10, DX9.0c, DX9, DX8.... games. It's backward compatible.

Of course, to be able to play DX11 games you need GPU that supports DX11.

Software problems are mostly caused by users. Who likes to install gazillion of stupid codec packs (which are not needed to watch movies BTW), and other bloatware programs.
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Windows 98 would run this game.
    DirectX 9.0c is what......8 years old now? Its not like PWE is forcing you run some $500 video card and DirectX11. Its an 8 year old free update that runs on Windows98.

In all honesty, this forum is not the place to seek help with this. Especially since you don't seem to actually want help and just want to QQ and ragequit. Otherwise you would post system specs, OS, trials you've done...you know what people here have asked you to do. You will if you feel like it. But yet, demand immediate 'fixing' of a problem thats obviously on your end. I would suggest an actual technical support of some kind. If your computer is old and doesn't like DirectX9.0c, then it might have a host of other problems besides. But yes, clearly the proper thing to do is QQ about a free MMO slightly updating itself to an 8 year old API.
  • Kristina_t - Heavens Tear
    Kristina_t - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Sorry but having to upgrade to a old version of direct x can't be a financial issue for you. Most older systems should already have it, if not it is free to download after all. Any system that could run Pwi before the update still can with that small upgrade in direct x.
  • Michael - Harshlands
    Michael - Harshlands Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Your computer itself shouldnt be the cause of any issues, I run PW on a 10" Eee PC that I bought for under $200 and it runs fine, hell I can TW and run ventrillo on that computer with no problems.

Make sure all your driver files, are updated especially the video card drivers, also update to the latest version of direct X, as long as all your drivers, and directX is updated you can pretty much run PW on a toaster
  • _Adrasteia_ - Dreamweaver
    _Adrasteia_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    a friend that use my old compaq laptop with Win2000 can still play the game with the new expansion with less lag then me on a new laptop. and dint have to uppgrade anything
    {o,o} NERF RLY?
    |)__)
    -
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    as long as all your drivers, and directX is updated you can pretty much run PW on a toaster
    Literally >.>
    http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/toasterpc_2.jpg
  • Roland - Harshlands
    Roland - Harshlands Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    How many times do I have to say it. Everything that has been posted online about these problems I have done. I am working on some other stuff that has not been posted about and if these things work for me I will let people know about them.

When I am done with the things I am trying, if I feel like staying with this game I will post everything I tried, everything posted and everything not posted.

Although that probably will not happen. I will probably just leave PW. There is not any reason in the world why a customer and player should have to work this hard and this long just to play a game that worked perfectly fine before on the same fully updated system.

If you would actually post your hardware and what is blocking you, maybe some kind soul may offer to mail you something that is just collecting dust in there closet, and is still better than what you have. I'm just saying.
    "WHOA, CALM DOWN HOLY JESUS **** NIPPLES IT'S JUST A GAME" - Longknife
  • _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver
    _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 753 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I dont feel sorry for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I Miss the old days of PWIb:surrender
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2012
    Options
    So far, (based on the information gathered), the majority of the individuals complaining about this are running video cards that do not meet the minimum system specifications. A few cases don't even meet the minimum memory requirement.

As myself and others have mentioned previously, if your system is too old to meet the requirements, why bother trying to play at all? You'll be better off putting effort into updating your extremely outdated system.

TobiasTiger - Lost City, you state that you have a newer system and are having this issue, yet you haven't bothered posting what exactly your system info is at all. (I looked, didn't find a single post of yours with system specs.)

There are some of us that will actually take a look at your info, (some have already asked you for it), and would be glad to take a look and offer suggestions. However, instead of giving us info to help you, you would rather just sit back and QQ.

Post your Specs, DXdiag, hijackthis, and we'll take a look at it. If you're not sure how to do that, check here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GenesisRocks - Raging Tide
    GenesisRocks - Raging Tide Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    So from everything I've seen, PWI is basically telling those of us that have slightly older systems, that we need to upgrade our computers or not play. And it also seems like some players, who can play after this new patch, say the same thing. Well, for various reasons, most of us can't do that.

I'm on permanent disability with a very small, limited income. I live by myself, all of my family is out of town if not out of state and not a lot of them left these days anyway. When I first started this game 3+ years ago it played great on the same computer I have. It's a shame I wasted those 3+ years on a company like PWI.

So PWI if you say upgrade or don't play, I have to say I wont play then. And PWI you're really not very smart, in a business sense, by doing this.

your only 88 barb after 3 years b:shocked. j/k. I also had a really old computer and played pwi on it and it was fine. tbh though the price of desktop computers are falling dramatically (I work in IT). I can down the street and buy a new desktop for 200 bucks. my advice just buy a graphics card for maybe 40 dollars you'll be fine. Heck if you have friends who play computer games they might even give you parts.

Desktops are super cheap because every1 is moving to tablet devices.
  • Namari - Dreamweaver
    Namari - Dreamweaver Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I run this game on a laptop with integrated graphics chipset that's about 3 years old. I have it on medium settings (lowest when I'm doing events), and other than my fashion turning all solid (I freaked out about this and was cursing PWI about it in DW's WC), it works fine. I figured out the fashion issue within 10 minutes--my direct x apparently wasn't updated, so problem solved there.

I'm also on a limited income, even more so now since I have a 6-month-old to worry about. But I will eventually get to upgrading.
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.

My main is Ivy_. I'm better known as Destini. Also known as _Yvi. Yes, I have an identity crisis. b:chuckle

Looking for a signature for this character. Wanna make me one?