To all aspiring sages out there...

Options

Comments

• CritCat - Archosaur
    CritCat - Archosaur Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd2aVsbB5zg
    Took a while to reply, Was busy with school.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/b6540a34278d977d
    Current Wizard Build:
    pwcalc.com/068f7e40791a3be6
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd2aVsbB5zg
    Took a while to reply, Was busy with school.

.... Ok.

Firstly, you should move out of the circles earlier. Of course you're going to die if you wait. And in fact both of your deaths were caused by the rings, not the boss hitting you to death.
    Secondly, you're supposed to refresh Rib Strike.
    Thirdly, you have a genie. Use it. Either refresh the debuffs or use AD.
    Fourthly, you talk about "Sage sin" and yet the only noteworthy Sage skill you have is Sage Spark. That's not an accurate representation of a Sage.
    Finally, you got skills. You're supposed to refresh Focused Mind and Wolf Emblem.

... No wonder you die. You pretty much do what a 5 aps sin does: Spark macro. It does not work when you don't have the gear to support yourself. Don't blame the culti, blame yourself.

Anyone can fail at killing a boss if they're doing it wrong. So stop doing it wrong. It's so bad I'm wondering whether you just wanted to show us a video of a bad sin dying in FCC.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Anyone can fail at killing a boss if they're doing it wrong. So stop doing it wrong. It's so bad I'm wondering whether you just wanted to show us a video of a bad sin dying in FCC.

lol, let me actually try this when I get some potsb:cute

Edit: Whelp, Here's how it goes.

>Get to edge of circle
    >Lag back to center of circle

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • SeverusSnape - Raging Tide
    SeverusSnape - Raging Tide Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Sage Assassins suck unless you're wealthy.
    Well yeah.
    Most classes will suck, unless you spend money on them. What you did wrong was spend money unwisely, on one of the expensive classes. You can see how demanding this game can be without planning.

The best thing for you is to plan in steps. First priority should be to get nirvana dags. then other gear for minimum 2.86 aps i.e. three 0.05 items on your 2.0 arsenal. Before that wait for expansion, to check new pve gear, maybe that might prove to be a cheaper/better alternative.

If nothing else, you can always account stash your gear to an archer :P

Edit- you're very laggy in your vid >.>
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The best thing for you is to plan in steps. First priority should be to get nirvana dags. then other gear for minimum 2.86 aps i.e. three 0.05 items on your 2.0 arsenal. Before that wait for expansion, to check new pve gear, maybe that might prove to be a cheaper/better alternative.

I have to disagree here.

I went by level and cost: TM69 cape back when I was 80. TT99 wrists, TT99 boots, TT99 necklace, TT99 belt. Then Rank 8 and then Nirvana leggings. After that, Barrier Thorn: Nirvana and currently working on Pan Gu, Creator.

Going for Barrier Thorn: Nirvana right off the bat is dumb for a multitude of reasons:
    1. It's a weak weapon that loses to R8 unless you have +8 or higher refine
    2. If you do have +8 or higher refine on it, you need other gear to support you or you're as good as dead,
    3. Barrier Thorn: Nirvana is ridiculously expensive for the -interval you get at about 70-100m per -0.05.
    4. There's too many sins with Barrier Thorn: Nirvana and Rank 4 armor out there already.

In terms of costs, the scale goes like this:
    TM69 Cape 8m
    TT99 Wrists: 13-15m
    TT99 Boots: 21-30m
    TT99 Necklace: 9m+
    TT99 Belt: 30m+
    Rank 8: 100m+
    Shadow Ashura Greaves: 85m+
    Barrier Thorn: Nirvana: 130m+
    Pan Gu, Creator: 200m+

Out of these, you have to consider the following:
    TM69 is only available from 60-80
    TT99 Wrists and Boots comes with a set bonus, but TT99 wrists has -0.1 interval on its own
    TT99 ornaments only get a set bonus, so consider them a two-item combo
    Rank 8 comes with a pretty good weapon, a really good ring and an excellent chest plate
    Shadow Ashura Greaves isn't that awesome for the cost
    Barrier Thorn: Nirvana has -0.1 interval so it might be cheaper than Shadow Ashura Greaves
    Pan Gu, Creator is the only piece of gear that does not bind, therefore it never loses its value: in fact if you play your cards well, it gains value

The last thing you want is to get too much -interval too soon, as then you'll just end up dying. The only place where you can consistently set it up so that there's someone to keep the aggro from you is Nirvana, and if the only thing you can do without dying is Nirvana, you might just as well not play the game at all.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    ^ next favourite sin along with Skai
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • SinFulGodX - Sanctuary
    SinFulGodX - Sanctuary Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If two years and anything over $100 dollars has been spent...

I expect this atleast > http://pwcalc.com/b2aa8b6574b4a071 <

The neck? it costs 1mill-ish... the belt? few hundred k

Helm? 500k maybe.... Ring? 700k i think

Your 2APS so thats my guess on your APS gear...

2years and $200 i expect +5 daggers not hard and 2 immacs is also easily obtainable...

+4 on all gear? Really expecte for your time invested and full flawless shards is normal

flawless cit is literally 140k each... = nothing for you

That SAGE build right there can easily solo first boss and several elementos ( 1 side) if not all
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I have to disagree here.

I went by level and cost: TM69 cape back when I was 80. TT99 wrists, TT99 boots, TT99 necklace, TT99 belt. Then Rank 8 and then Nirvana leggings. After that, Barrier Thorn: Nirvana and currently working on Pan Gu, Creator.

Going for Barrier Thorn: Nirvana right off the bat is dumb for a multitude of reasons:
    1. It's a weak weapon that loses to R8 unless you have +8 or higher refine
    2. If you do have +8 or higher refine on it, you need other gear to support you or you're as good as dead,
    3. Barrier Thorn: Nirvana is ridiculously expensive for the -interval you get at about 70-100m per -0.05.
    4. There's too many sins with Barrier Thorn: Nirvana and Rank 4 armor out there already.....

Whatever olbaze said +1.
    But in Crit's case, she's already rank 8 with full TT 99 sets (just assuming as she's 2.0 aps). Since she's already trying to solo fc, she needs more aps now. I really don't think she one of those persons who'll try and solo without getting any semblance of defense first.

My stupid personal ideology is to aim for the best gear right from the start, so I don't waste time and money refining/sharding less than perfect gear, which isn't that bad if you can resell it. Being away from reality, I assumed nirvana dags automatically meant g15 ones. b:surrender

What crit said in initial post is true. You have to invest money wisely or farm for aps gear first and then try to solo fc. Notwithstanding her boss fighting method forces her to waste time, she is still not doing enough damage to it.

Do you still want to stick with your sage sin Crit ? Doing fc to level up ? Best way to get to 105 now is to be demon sin, but you need gears 1st. I can get 2% per day at 104. You need full aps gear for that + rank 8/9 dags OR full aps minus tome + nir dags (g15).
    You can still solo w/o it but won't get to 105 that fast. So get gears first and then solo it to be cost effective, or just make an archer b:beatup

Have to plan in steps -> Olbaze's gear purchasing guide + merchant or farm for money. Spam nirvana in 2x. Make some nirvana buddies >.>
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Whatever olbaze said +1.
    But in Crit's case, she's already rank 8 with full TT 99 sets (just assuming as she's 2.0 aps). Since she's already trying to solo fc, she needs more aps now. I really don't think she one of those persons who'll try and solo without getting any semblance of defense first.

Actually, 2.0 base would mean that she's lacking 3 pieces of -0.05. Going by costs, those would be: Pan Gu, Creator, Shadow Ashura Greaves and Lionheart ornaments. I say this as a previously 2.5 sage myself. Either that or she's lacking a cape and has the ornaments.

Either way, Barrier Thorn: Nirvana is one of the more expensive pieces, plus it's inferior to R8 at low refines. I can say this as I own both a +6 R8 and a +6 Barrier Thorn: Nirvana and the latter only has ~5% more DPS and we're talking going from 2.5 to 3.33, not going from 2.0 to 2.5.
    What crit said in initial post is true. You have to invest money wisely or farm for aps gear first and then try to solo fc. Notwithstanding her boss fighting method forces her to waste time, she is still not doing enough damage to it.

The way she did it in the video was absolutely horrible for someone of that gear level. She was pretty much running a spark macro without refreshing any skills, e.g. Focused Mind, Wolf Emblem or Rib Strike, nor using Genie skills, e.g. Tangling Mire or Absolute Domain. The latter would have saved her from dying.
    Do you still want to stick with your sage sin Crit ? Doing fc to level up ? Best way to get to 105 now is to be demon sin, but you need gears 1st. I can get 2% per day at 104. You need full aps gear for that + rank 8/9 dags OR full aps minus tome + nir dags (g15).
    You can still solo w/o it but won't get to 105 that fast. So get gears first and then solo it to be cost effective, or just make an archer b:beatup

My guess is that CritCat is actually soloing the instance to sell the heads for coin.
    Have to plan in steps -> Olbaze's gear purchasing guide + merchant or farm for money. Spam nirvana in 2x. Make some nirvana buddies >.>

Less than a year ago, I was sitting on 40m coins, having just recently bought the 45m clip for Sage BP. I was 94 at the time, with no TT99s, no Rank 8, no Nirvana gear. The only pieces of gear I had that I still use were my TM69 cape, my Christmas Tome and my Warsoul of Earth. Today, I got 3.33 base with +6 on all of my gear except my ring and cape, with about 30% on my way to Pan Gu, Creator with 115m or so coins. And that's after missing 2 weeks of the last 2x drops, with me having done maybe a total of 10 runs during the 2x. I also have all of my skills level 10 with almost all Sage skills learned, or in books.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Really rare seeing another RT sin post here :3

Hi Snape. Haven't seen you around ingame in a while other than TW XD

I really wish that video wasn't blocked for me Crit, because I wanna see it.

And Olbaze is a pretty cool sin. He knows his stuff, and has definitely helped me a while ago. Shame he doesn't like ponies though b:sad
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I really wish that video wasn't blocked for me Crit, because I wanna see it.

And Olbaze is a pretty cool sin. He knows his stuff, and has definitely helped me a while ago. Shame he doesn't like ponies though b:sad

The video was rather sad to watch. She starts with Spark, Power Dash, Tangling Mire on the boss. However, she doesn't refresh Focused Mind, Rib Strike or Wolf Emblem when they run out, nor does she use Tangling Mire again. She didn't even use the Absolute Domain she had on her genie. In short, she started by debuffing and then only sparked, attacked and used chi skills when necessary.

With her 5.3k life and low APS, that's really not a good thing to do.

And who says I don't like ponies? I did go as far as to confirm that if so required, I could acquire them. I just never did.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    edited February 2012
    Options
    :D That last comment made me smile.

And I see. . . It makes me wonder if it's possible for me to do a skills-only FC run. Do you think I'd be able to? Even if it's charm ra.pe and purge worthy?
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    And I see. . . It makes me wonder if it's possible for me to do a skills-only FC run. Do you think I'd be able to? Even if it's charm ra.pe and purge worthy?

Probably, just that it would take a ton of time. Though you might end up in trouble with the bishops on Dreadindra.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    edited February 2012
    Options
    True. I prob won't die, but it would be a nice challenge to take on. I mean, if I fail hard, at least I can upload that as a fail XD
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Actually, 2.0 base would mean that she's lacking 3 pieces of -0.05. Going by costs, those would be: Pan Gu, Creator, Shadow Ashura Greaves and Lionheart ornaments. I say this as a previously 2.5 sage myself. Either that or she's lacking a cape and has the ornaments.

Do you have to nitpick whole post b:surrender

Actually, 2.0 base means she's lacking 4 pieces of 0.05. Three only if you don't count g13 dags since you yourself have proven rank 8 is superior. I in all absurdity thought about Crit using g15 dags, if you check my earlier post. You were hoping for rank 8 end game as you yourself are presumably using it.

I already assumed her having rank 8 + TT set meaning she has rank 8 interval chest and TT ornaments.. missing cape, tome, weapon and nir pants. Whats the point of even suggesting that she might either miss ornament or cape ?

@Skai ~ I play everyday b:embarrass and spam world chat asking to open fc. Different timings.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Do you have to nitpick whole post b:surrender

Of course I have to, that's how I get forum notoriety.
    Actually, 2.0 base means she's lacking 4 pieces of 0.05. Three only if you don't count g13 dags since you yourself have proven rank 8 is superior. I in all absurdity thought about Crit using g15 dags, if you check my earlier post. You were hoping for rank 8 end game as you yourself are presumably using it.

Four pieces of -interval gear, my friend, up to five counts of -0.05. But disregarding the weapon, you're left with three pieces.

And personally, I am using Barrier Thorn: Nirvana, a fact that I've mentioned at least three times in this thread. But if you need to know: yes, Rank 8 is a good dagger. It's excellent for a Demon, in fact if I was a Demon I would've never bought the Nirvana dagger in the first place.
    I already assumed her having rank 8 + TT set meaning she has rank 8 interval chest and TT ornaments.. missing cape, tome, weapon and nir pants. Whats the point of even suggesting that she might either miss ornament or cape ?

Simple: TM69. If CritCat had ran TM69 when she was 60-80, that would be the very cheapest -interval piece. In fact, when I was 2.0, I didn't have TT99 ornaments for that very exact reason.
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited February 2012
    Options
    My guess is that CritCat is actually soloing the instance to sell the heads for coin.

Wow, I just typed out a very large post, but because we're using Macs in computer class, I accidentally pressed a button combo on this keyboard and sent me back to my previous page, deleting everything I just typed.b:angry

Basically, I did sell heads until I realized someone could do it better, more efficiently, and cheaper. I didn't like getting undercut, so I stopped.

I cannot find a decent way to earn coin.

I have tried merchanting, I can keep a shop up 24/7 if I wanted to. I just can't find out what sells easily/How to Restock/When to purchase gold/What to buy with purchased gold/etc.

I stopped doing FC past the first boss. I just did it recently just to prove the point of I can actually try and it still does not work.

I will upload the video of me actually trying after I get home.

Edit: I actually got R8 1st,TT99 Bracers 2nd, TT99 boots 3rd(Had to sell my Warsoul helmet), and my cape 4th. I haven't gotten any other pieces since.

Simple: TM69. If CritCat had ran TM69 when she was 60-80, that would be the very cheapest -interval piece. In fact, when I was 2.0, I didn't have TT99 ornaments for that very exact reason.

When I was 60-80 I didn't even know what TM69 was. Honestly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I have tried merchanting, I can keep a shop up 24/7 if I wanted to. I just can't find out what sells easily/How to Restock/When to purchase gold/What to buy with purchased gold/etc.

Have you tried reading WarrenWolfy's guide? Mostly the answers to your question are simple, at least when you start out:
    You sell whatever popular item is on sale that you can afford to sell at the prices others are selling (Packs, 1* Orbs, Reputation, chips, etc)
    There is no real secret to restocking, but ideally you'd be able to restock instantly so that the time spend sitting at the AH is minimized. Of course, if you can only buy a single set of whatever you're selling, you can't do this.
    "When" to purchase gold is only really a problem when you have more gold than what your shop can sell within a day. And that's not going to be a problem soon. Obviously, you can make some magnificent profits by buying Gold before maintenance and then selling whatever is on sale after maintenance if there's a good sale.
    As for what to buy with the gold, you want to buy what sells easily. Stuff like 1* Dragon orbs, SoF/PF, Packs, Reputation. And you should always only buy the highest batch, because everyone else is also doing it so most likely you'll end up making a loss if you don't do that.

Also, you should always keep a count on your costs. When you're restocking Gold, make sure that the current Gold price isn't higher than the price the market is selling your stuff for.

If you happen to know someone in your FL or faction who is a successful merchant, you might want to ask them about it. Personally, I did take the funds of a friend of mine for me to merchant with because they would not have been able to do anything with just the 7,000,000 coins that they had.

Personally, I'm not one of those ridiculously rich merchants, but I have been able to sustain myself in this game without spending a cent. As for what I have, I got a 3.33 +6 Sage sin and I'm currently working on Pan Gu, Creator. I do also have most Sage skills either learned or in books, with the only ones missing being Subsea Strike, Headhunt and Shadow Teleport.
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Have you tried reading WarrenWolfy's guide? Mostly the answers to your question are simple, at least when you start out:
    You sell whatever popular item is on sale that you can afford to sell at the prices others are selling (Packs, 1* Orbs, Reputation, chips, etc)
    There is no real secret to restocking, but ideally you'd be able to restock instantly so that the time spend sitting at the AH is minimized. Of course, if you can only buy a single set of whatever you're selling, you can't do this.
    "When" to purchase gold is only really a problem when you have more gold than what your shop can sell within a day. And that's not going to be a problem soon. Obviously, you can make some magnificent profits by buying Gold before maintenance and then selling whatever is on sale after maintenance if there's a good sale.
    As for what to buy with the gold, you want to buy what sells easily. Stuff like 1* Dragon orbs, SoF/PF, Packs, Reputation. And you should always only buy the highest batch, because everyone else is also doing it so most likely you'll end up making a loss if you don't do that.

I already read Warren's guide before I even posted this thread. Nothing really stuck, as I have never gotten past 10m in profits before something bad happens. A friend I knew gained 400+ Gold just from buying and selling gold, I have no idea how he did it. He no longer plays.
    Also, you should always keep a count on your costs. When you're restocking Gold, make sure that the current Gold price isn't higher than the price the market is selling your stuff for.

This is what happened the 2nd time I tried to Buy and Sell packs, I bought gold when it was high. And as an added plus gold prices move too slowly for me to see how it's going.
    If you happen to know someone in your FL or faction who is a successful merchant, you might want to ask them about it. Personally, I did take the funds of a friend of mine for me to merchant with because they would not have been able to do anything with just the 7,000,000 coins that they had.

Last time I was doing well I mis-priced everything in my shop, I have noone to blame but myself for it, but whenever I do open a shop(rarely) I always have to under-price my items I'm selling in order to sell them at all. Nothing really earns me coin anymore, as I already said. The only merchants I know appear to be elitist and unhelpful, save for one, but he quit.
    Personally, I'm not one of those ridiculously rich merchants, but I have been able to sustain myself in this game without spending a cent. As for what I have, I got a 3.33 +6 Sage sin and I'm currently working on Pan Gu, Creator. I do also have most Sage skills either learned or in books, with the only ones missing being Subsea Strike, Headhunt and Shadow Teleport.

Erm, I only have 4 sage skills. The only way to advance IMO is to just CS, as I have tried almost every other way of earning coin short of farming DQ and PK drops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I already read Warren's guide before I even posted. Nothing really stuck, as I have never gotten past 10m in capital before something bad happens.

Last time I was doing well I mis-priced everything in my shop, I have noone to blame but myself for it, but whenever I do open a shop(rarely) I always have to under-price my items i'm selling

Something "bad"?

Does that mean that you're constantly mispricing your items? Or does it mean that when you get to high amounts, you end up buying packs to gamble with or you buy expensive fashion or pretty mounts?
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Something "bad"?

Does that mean that you're constantly mispricing your items? Or does it mean that when you get to high amounts, you end up buying packs to gamble with or you buy expensive fashion or pretty mounts?

No, I no longer buy fashion, packs or mounts.
    If I want fashion, I grind DQ for it. I have the Anni mount, and a tome. I no longer need newer mounts.
    I stopped pack gambling when I saw the chances on the database.
    I also re-edited my post.

If I were to start merchanting again, I would be able to not spend any of the profits on unnecessary items. I've done it before up to 10m before I lost it all by one night of mis-pricing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    No, I no longer buy fashion or Mounts.
    If I want fashion, I grind DQ for it. I have the Anni mount, and a tome. I no longer need newer mounts. I also re-edited my post.

If I were to start merchanting again, I would be able to not spend any of the profits on unnecessary items. I've done it before up to 10m before I lost it all by one night of mis-pricing.

Well then you just have to be careful.

Part of being a merchant is just that. Heck, every single iteration of my merchanting includes at least a few checks that I'm not making losses. That is, when I buy gold, I make sure the price I'm offering is such that I'll get profit on current market prices. When I got the merchandise, I price it in a manner that gets me profit while still being low enough to sell well. If I get undercut, I check whether I can compete without making losses.

Merchanting isn't hard. Other than using a calculator, I haven't done any out-of-game measures in my merchanting and yet I've managed to gather gear and skills that have a total value of several hundreds of millions.

Also, in a rather recent patch, they added colour coding and unit separation to prices. For example, my catshop right now shows that I have merchandise worth 39,440,000 coins and that I have 6,812,828 coins in my inventory. The latter is also colour coded and it's yellow. These factors ensure that I'm getting exactly what I intend to get. Previously, there was no unit separation, which would've shown my coins as 39440000 and 6812828, of which at least the former is rather hard to mistake for being less or more than it actually is.
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Merchanting isn't hard.

Merchanting isn't hard.

I'm sorry, That sentence didn't make any sence to me whatsoever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options

I'm sorry, That sentence didn't make any since to me whatsoever.

... Pardon me?
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited February 2012
    Options
    ... Pardon me?

Fine, I'll try merchanting one last time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Fine, I'll try merchanting one last time.

Just don't re-examine your tea cup or you might find the drugs I put in there to induce this whole situation.

And if you tell me that you have a bad case of paranoid schizophrenia at this point I just might go cry in a corner.

b:cute
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Just don't re-examine your tea cup or you might find the drugs I put in there to induce this whole situation.

And if you tell me that you have a bad case of paranoid schizophrenia at this point I just might go cry in a corner.

b:cute

b:quiet Nobody needs to know about the teacup.

Merchanting isn't hard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpuRcmPnSTM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    Current Wizard Build:
  • Cut_Bait - Heavens Tear
    Cut_Bait - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Basically, I did sell heads until I realized someone could do it better, more efficiently, and cheaper. I didn't like getting undercut, so I stopped.

So you were actually selling heads, as in, people were paying you for the runs? And then you stopped doing it because someone made a better offer? If people were still willing to pay your prices then you don't stop just because you got undercut. You keep preying on the people who don't act fast enough for the cheaper run or who don't even see the cheaper offer.
    I cannot find a decent way to earn coin.

It honestly sounds like you are simply giving up too easily and not wanting to make any effort whatsoever.

Olba said merchanting is not hard, but that is not to say that it will be handed to you on a silver platter! You do have to make some effort at it like Olba described... tracking prices, making sure you aren't selling at a loss, etc.

Your other option is to find a "sugar-daddy"! b:chuckle
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    b:quiet Nobody needs to know about the teacup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpuRcmPnSTM

Uguu...

I've personally merchanted for a bit over a year. I've gone from quite literally having no coins whatsoever to now owning this with about 100m spent on skillbooks and learning said skills, plus I still have 83 Gold in AH. Oh and I have 657 Mystical Tome Fragments, which would be worth about 65.7m coins.

And I haven't done anything that I would consider hard. Unlike many more successful merchants, I keep buying stuff, like the Tome Fragments I have or the Barrier Thorn: Nirvana I got. I haven't kept any kind of out-of-game log of anything other than my own coinage on a weekly basis and that was only when someone gave me some of their coins to mess around with. I haven't kept any kind of log of past sales beyond checking the dates of the previous two or three sales to see if there's a recurrence. I also haven't kept any kind of log of past Gold prices. Everything that I do is based on hunches and guesswork. And that's stuff that you get from experience, not from having some kind of hidden m4d5k1llz.

The most significant losses I've made with unlucky guesses or stupid moves. Unlucky guesses have happened about two or three times and the losses have been <5% and the stupid move happened once.

I have also lost tons of coin from placing too large buy orders in AH because I was selling too slow only to see that my order caused a cascade of overbids and that someone decided to buy all of my packs way faster than I had sold the previous 50.

Really, all I ever do is:
    1. Check current buy and sell price of Gold.
    2. Check current selling price of Boutique Item X that I want to merchant.
    3. Count the costs of buying Boutique Item X at current buy prices or slightly higher.
    4. If 3. resulted in a number less than that found in 2., buy Gold.
    5. Once Gold has been bought, set up a catshop.
    6. Once my stock has sold, repeat from 1.
    So you were actually selling heads, as in, people were paying you for the runs? And then you stopped doing it because someone made a better offer? If people were still willing to pay your prices then you don't stop just because you got undercut. You keep preying on the people who don't act fast enough for the cheaper run or who don't even see the cheaper offer.

Very true. You also do not have to be the cheapest at all. Personally, I've managed to sell packs while not being the cheapest shop at all, with there being a handful of shops selling lower than what I am. Half of that is probably some kind of reputation that I have as selling whatever I do at cheap prices, the other half is people seeing a cheap-enough item and buying it without bothering to check all the catshops.
    It honestly sounds like you are simply giving up too easily and not wanting to make any effort whatsoever.

Olba said merchanting is not hard, but that is not to say that it will be handed to you on a silver platter! You do have to make some effort at it like Olba described... tracking prices, making sure you aren't selling at a loss, etc.

I don't really consider it effort. Especially not since the "price tracking" that I do I can do with one hand on my PC's stock calculator in less than a minute.
  • SolomonSmash - Heavens Tear
    SolomonSmash - Heavens Tear Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    My sage sin does just fine. Of course, I only use it for sage bloodpaint b:chuckle