To all the computer techies out there.. aka Bubbles, etc.

Options
Ajiuo - Harshlands
Ajiuo - Harshlands Posts: 708 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Support Desk
(I didn't put this in tech support forum cus no one important reads that!)

So as you all probably read, I got a newerish computer that runs really good compared to my old one did. I hope you bare with me and read the whole wall of text because the first paragraph isn't the problem, it just leads up to the problem.

Unfortunately, for some reason, it won't delete the browsing history after I exit out of the internet even though I have all the correct things checked on the options page. My task manager shows there's multiple ones still running after I close out so that's probably the problem, but even after I manually exit out of them, the delete browsing history just loops and never deletes it. I installed ccleaner.exe to clean up my history so I don't have to really worry about it and from google searches, the multiple internets up isn't really a problem. There's maybe at max 3 up at a time after I exit out of the one I'm using and there's no symptoms of a virus anywhere else. And also, before I even plugged this computer in, I had people clean it out of all the viruses, so unless I got a virus in between hooking it up to the internet and installing my antivirus software (which is the FIRST thing I did) I highly doubt it's a virus. I think it has something to do with the browser I'm using, I hear it's a problem with the Vista and IE 7 but I'm not too sure. Like I said, nothing has made me think it's a virus. My brother even said it probably wasn't.

But that's not the point.

My mum decided it was bad for the computer and decided to install AGV 2012. I don't know much about it except it's an antivirus program and she installed it because Trend Micro wasn't picking up a virus since she decided the non-deleting history was a virus in itself. Now it started to act like there's a virus on it. If you even think about wanting to do anything with AGV it completely freezes the computer and you have to restart it by pressing the power button. It takes more than 10 seconds to open the internet and about 15 to actually show my homepage. I attempted to uninstall it but it just freezes and never moves the progression bar. I'm not really sure how to uninstall it at this point, can anyone give me tips? b:sad
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
❝WHATIFTHESTORMENDSANDIDONTSEEYOU❞
Post edited by Ajiuo - Harshlands on

Comments

• magicsabre
    magicsabre Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    But that's not the point.

My mum decided it was bad for the computer and decided to install AGV 2012. I don't know much about it except it's an antivirus program and she installed it because Trend Micro wasn't picking up a virus since she decided the non-deleting history was a virus in itself. Now it started to act like there's a virus on it. If you even think about wanting to do anything with AGV it completely freezes the computer and you have to restart it by pressing the power button. It takes more than 10 seconds to open the internet and about 15 to actually show my homepage. I attempted to uninstall it but it just freezes and never moves the progression bar. I'm not really sure how to uninstall it at this point, can anyone give me tips? b:sad

Reinstall Windows.

It will remove all problems.

All other tips include technical details related with installed OS and programs that exist now or had been removed long before this moment.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Did you just install that AVG addiotional to the other one you already had...?
    Two anti-virus programs that both run actively will lead to that kind of 'lag'.

As for the IE-history problem... I don't use IE so no clue. Seriously, get a better browser...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    magicsabre wrote: »
    Reinstall Windows.

It will remove all problems.

All other tips include technical details related with installed OS and programs that exist now or had been removed long before this moment.

I don't have the discs for it. They were lost in a move. b:surrender
    And yes, we have both antivirus programs. Trend has worked great for the past 3 years we used it, I don't see why AGV even needs to be here.
    Even if I stopped using IE, my mum doesn't use anything other than that so it's pointless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Check if both are set so they actively guard your pc. If they are, try deactivating that with one program.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Check if both are set so they actively guard your pc. If they are, try deactivating that with one program.

Not really sure what that means, lol. I can only start a PC, download stuff and play stuff. Anything that isn't that, I'm lost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited February 2012
    Options
    That kind of.. nullifies your chances to fix it yourself b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    1.St0p br0wsing teh p0rnz s0 y0u d0n't have t0 w0rry ab0ut net hist0ry.

2.Get M0zilla, IE fails.

3.Set M0zilla t0 delete hist0ry 0n exit via the internet 0pti0ns.

4. Like Y u n0 call me?

5.AVG fails.....

6. Have y0u tried using a System Rest0re P0int?

7.AVG fails and sh0uld n0t be used. All it d0es is use up r0fl am0unts 0f mem0ry f0r n0 apparent reas0n. Trend Micr0 0n the 0ther hand is light weight and w0rks very well. Tell y0ur m0m AVG is 0verrated.

8.Try unistalling the pr0gram in SAFE M0DE if all 0f the ab0ve fails.

9.Call me and I can pr0vide pers0nal assistance if n0thing w0rks at all. *wink wink*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    1. I can't browse it now that my brother's home all day. b:cry
    No, the reason why I'm concerned is, over time if you don't delete it, it'll slow the internet and computer down.

2. My brother says Google Chrome or gtfo...

3. I do that on IE and Google Chrome b:laugh

4. Y U no give me ur #?

5. I realise this...

6. I never created one after I got the computer lmao

7. I agree with you there. So much.

8. I finally got it uninstalled by using something weirdo program google search provided me with. I can breathe again!

9. *wink wink wink* ;D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Shdknght - Dreamweaver
    Shdknght - Dreamweaver Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Try installing "Free Internet Eraser" or "CCleaner" Both are free.

The Eraser can be found on cnet and CCleaner is free off their own site. Ive had these for years and cleans out my internet and speeds up my computer but using both to make sure all the cache is cleaned out, also for a PERSONAL opinion AVG is worst AnitVirus for any game, reason being is it put outs more processes and lags the game. For anyone that uses Vista or Windows 7, theres a "F" ton processes running so i suggest most to get Game Booster, its free and brings all the processes down to 40-50 of what the computer needs to run with which is great for games. More FPS. More likely (almost bet on it) gonna get slammed from someone about this but keep in mind its an "Opnion" to help nothing more or less and good luck ^_^
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Try installing "Free Internet Eraser" or "CCleaner" Both are free.

The Eraser can be found on cnet and CCleaner is free off their own site. Ive had these for years and cleans out my internet and speeds up my computer, also for a PERSONAL opinion AVG is worst AnitVirus for any game, reason being is it put outs more processes and lags the game. For anyone that uses Vista or Windows 7, theres a "F" ton processes running so i suggest most to get Game Booster, its free and brings all the processes down to 40-50 of what the computer needs to run with which is great for games. More FPS. More likely (almost bet on it) gonna get slammed from someone about this but keep in mind its an "Opnion" to help nothing more or less and good luck ^_^

Thanks a lot. I do have ccleaner, it's very good at cleaning all the gunk out, but it only runs after I restart my computer and don't open any programs. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work, but that's how it does, lol. And I didn't even attempt running PWI with AGV installed, considering how bad it was just running the internet. D:
    I'll look into the program you mentioned, tyvm. :3

But like I said, I finally got it uninstalled! If anyone has any advice on the whole multiple internets running thing, go ahead and share them. o.o otherwise I'm going to ask for this to be closed since problem is now solved. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Thanks a lot. I do have ccleaner, it's very good at cleaning all the gunk out, but it only runs after I restart my computer and don't open any programs. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work, but that's how it does, lol. And I didn't even attempt running PWI with AGV installed, considering how bad it was just running the internet. D:
    I'll look into the program you mentioned, tyvm. :3

But like I said, I finally got it uninstalled! If anyone has any advice on the whole multiple internets running thing, go ahead and share them. o.o otherwise I'm going to ask for this to be closed since problem is now solved. b:cute

Um d0 y0u mean y0u d0n't want multiple internets t0 run? 0r y0u can't run multiple internets at all?
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Um d0 y0u mean y0u d0n't want multiple internets t0 run? 0r y0u can't run multiple internets at all?

Well like, I'll have 1 internet open, and I'll close out of it. Then I'll go into task manager and there will be several iexplorer.exe running on the applications.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Well like, I'll have 1 internet open, and I'll close out of it. Then I'll go into task manager and there will be several iexplorer.exe running on the applications.

Fr0m what I kn0w it is 0ne 0f IE's Multiple tab functi0ns.Fr0m what I have researched, it is n0rmal f0r this t0 happen. What is n0t n0rmal th0ugh is if it is g0bbling up mem0ry and n0t dissapearing fr0m the manager after a few minutes.
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Fr0m what I kn0w it is 0ne 0f IE's Multiple tab functi0ns.Fr0m what I have researched, it is n0rmal f0r this t0 happen. What is n0t n0rmal th0ugh is if it is g0bbling up mem0ry and n0t dissapearing fr0m the manager after a few minutes.

I'll close out of the internet and screenshot my task manager for you after waiting 1 minute after closing. :o

edit: hmmmm it doesn't actually show any internets running right now! idk if it only happens sometimes and i've only witnessed it during that time or what happened. xD I am gonna try to delete the history through internet options tho.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I'll close out of the internet and screenshot my task manager for you after waiting 1 minute after closing. :o

edit: hmmmm it doesn't actually show any internets running right now! idk if it only happens sometimes and i've only witnessed it during that time or what happened. xD I am gonna try to delete the history through internet options tho.

Alright, send me ph0t0s t0 um........Insure everything is w0rking right...b:quiet
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Alright, send me ph0t0s t0 um........Insure everything is w0rking right...b:quiet

b:laugh
    Well the history is looping but there's no multiple iexplorer.exe open on task manager
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Not being able to get rid of your history is a bit weird, but if you absolutely HAVE to get rid of your browsing history...

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History

Is where you can find and delete it, even though that doesn't really solve the problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Not being able to get rid of your history is a bit weird, but if you absolutely HAVE to get rid of your browsing history...

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History

Is where you can find and delete it, even though that doesn't really solve the problem.

Thanks NIA. It's not absolutely necessary but I do like to clear it out once in awhile because it bogs down my internet after awhile. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    Sparc - Harshlands Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Ditch IE, get FireFox or Chrome or ANYTHING other than IE !

That's pro tip #1
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Thanks NIA. It's not absolutely necessary but I do like to clear it out once in awhile because it bogs down my internet after awhile. b:surrender

Teh p0rnz will d0 that.
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Teh p0rnz will d0 that.

No pr0nz on my computer!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • SomebodyTwo - Lost City
    SomebodyTwo - Lost City Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Just to toss this out you don't need the "original" install discs for windows in order to re-install it. Any windows install disc will work as long as you have your product key, and a bit of technical knowledge b:laugh

... or this link --> http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-select-any-edition-or-version-sku-of-windows-7-to-install-from-single-edition-dvd-disc-media-or-iso/
    My YT Page: "youtube.com/user/somebodythe5th" I have HD PWI/Minecraft Videos
    I am a non-cashshopper. I registered on: 08-26-2008 22:21:23
    "Only those who worked hard for their power are worth to be respected..." - Wolfssohn - Sanctuary
    "When life gives you lemon, set up a catshop and sell lemonade at 15% markup." Okeano - Harshlands
    Also, Minecraft is awesome.
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Just to toss this out you don't need the "original" install discs for windows in order to re-install it. Any windows install disc will work as long as you have your product key, and a bit of technical knowledge b:laugh

... or this link --> http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-select-any-edition-or-version-sku-of-windows-7-to-install-from-single-edition-dvd-disc-media-or-iso/

I know that much b:surrender
    I'm too lazy to go out and buy new discs tho and tbh i'm computer smart enough for anything aside from buying new ones. and that link only shows me an ad for something unrelated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    and that link only shows me an ad for something unrelated.

And that's why Firefox is superior b:quiet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SomebodyTwo - Lost City
    SomebodyTwo - Lost City Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I know that much b:surrender
    I'm too lazy to go out and buy new discs tho and tbh i'm computer smart enough for anything aside from buying new ones. and that link only shows me an ad for something unrelated.

Ah well my point was that you can download a windows 7 install disc for free then use the link above to install whichever version you have.

As for the link not working... it works fine for me, but here is another link with the same basic info.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-choose-desired-windows-7-edition-version-during-setup/

Also here is info on how to download it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-reinstall-windows-7-without-the-cd/edcb6080-11e8-4894-abb3-beba42f4bb2e
    My YT Page: "youtube.com/user/somebodythe5th" I have HD PWI/Minecraft Videos
    I am a non-cashshopper. I registered on: 08-26-2008 22:21:23
    "Only those who worked hard for their power are worth to be respected..." - Wolfssohn - Sanctuary
    "When life gives you lemon, set up a catshop and sell lemonade at 15% markup." Okeano - Harshlands
    Also, Minecraft is awesome.
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options

Oh actually it just didn't load all the way, lol. clicked on it again and it showed the wall of text that was supposed to be next to the unrelated AT&T ad. b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    What it sounds like is you have had a Virus or something else Malicious, and it's already done the damage to the OS.

You will need to reinstall the OS - I'm almost 100% sure. Check your computer for a product sticker from microsoft, it should have your activation code. You can download a copy of windows reinstall on someone else's computer. If you have a nice Best Buy, or a mom and pop computer store, they may be able to give you a copy for free as well.

The only other thing I can think of is running a defrag and a full system check from the Bios (you can google all of that easy - comes with pictures too). Then re-run all the cleaning/antivirus/anti mal-ware and etc programs. I'd doubt it fixes it but worth a try. And unplug the net while you're doing it.

And get your brother off the computer until it's fixed - he's probably visiting sites that are adding to the issues.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    What it sounds like is you have had a Virus or something else Malicious, and it's already done the damage to the OS.

You will need to reinstall the OS - I'm almost 100% sure. Check your computer for a product sticker from microsoft, it should have your activation code. You can download a copy of windows reinstall on someone else's computer. If you have a nice Best Buy, or a mom and pop computer store, they may be able to give you a copy for free as well.

The only other thing I can think of is running a defrag and a full system check from the Bios (you can google all of that easy - comes with pictures too). Then re-run all the cleaning/antivirus/anti mal-ware and etc programs. I'd doubt it fixes it but worth a try. And unplug the net while you're doing it.

And get your brother off the computer until it's fixed - he's probably visiting sites that are adding to the issues.

Well like I said, I did have the computer wiped of all viruses before I got it. Apparently, the computer was full of them. b:surrender And there's also no other signs of virus, everything runs fast, there's nothing that popups out of the blue and nothing that screams virus. Also, there's currently no multiple iexplorer.exe running on task manager atm, and since that was the only sign of it being a virus, I don't really believe there's a virus on the computer. Also, my brother has his own computer but it's on the same network, I don't think that could cause anything to happen to my computer, right? D:
    I read that the deleting browsing history is just something that happens with Vista and the Internet I'm running and that it's really nothing major. Is that true? I mean, i'd be concerned if internets kept opening on their own, which would be a huge virus sign, but that's not happening at all. Like I said, there's nothing out of the ordinary.
    Also, Trend Micro didn't pick anything up virus wise when it did a full scan earlier yesterday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Here's the thing - even with the virus cleaned out, it may have still done damage to the OS that the anti-virus and etc programs don't fix.

Try a defrag and system check through the bios, see what happens. It could clear it out if its just being slow.

It could also be you need an update on your network card if your brother's computer runs fine. Sorry I misread, I thought he was using the same computer.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • John_Smith - Harshlands
    John_Smith - Harshlands Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

I take your crappy adblock plus and give you : A hosts file.

Superior adblocking, and it doesn't need failfox :)
    I've quit excluding TW for my faction. But I still hang around to help out those who still enjoy the game under PWEs horrific handling and to have fun in the forums. b:cute
    #Shame about PWEs absolutely craptastic handling of the goons glitching. Remember kids, there's no punishment for breaking the rules here!#
    If you make a valid complaint, your thread will disapear. Don't post it here, post it on other sites where PW can't hide it.