To all the computer techies out there.. aka Bubbles, etc.

Options

Comments

• Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    No pr0nz on my computer!

But if you are going to look at that, get Firefox, go to Tools> Start Private Browsing. No history from your *private* session gets saved. b:chuckle

Also consider scanning your computer with Malwarebytes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Not sure why you're so into deleting your internet history... Shouldn't have any effect on you at all.
    Maybe you were thinking about deleting your cache? But even then, you shouldn't need to worry about it unless it takes up a lot of space (in which most cases it is limited).

Then again, I don't use IE so I wouldn't be able to say much.
    Also consider scanning your computer with Malwarebytes.

This.
    Great way of removing all sorts of ****.

Microsoft security essentials is actually a decent virus protection program.
    Most of you will just go hurr durr micro$oft but they really aren't that bad...

Haven't had a virus in 4 years and last time I got one was from using IE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    Ajiuo - Harshlands Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Not sure why you're so into deleting your internet history... Shouldn't have any effect on you at all.
    Maybe you were thinking about deleting your cache? But even then, you shouldn't need to worry about it unless it takes up a lot of space (in which most cases it is limited).

Then again, I don't use IE so I wouldn't be able to say much.

This.
    Great way of removing all sorts of ****.

Microsoft security essentials is actually a decent virus protection program.
    Most of you will just go hurr durr micro$oft but they really aren't that bad...

Haven't had a virus in 4 years and last time I got one was from using IE.

well i'm not like "OMG I CANT USE INTERNAT WITHOUT DELETING HISTORY OMGGGAWD" but after about 3 days of browsing without deleting it, it bogs down my internet and I'd rather have a faster browsing session than a slow one. The history, cache, etc. all of that fun stuff that comes with browsing the internet.

I'm gonna scan my C and D drive now with that malwarebytes, thanks for sharing it, Tsukyini b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
    ❝WHATIFTHESTORMENDSANDIDONTSEEYOU❞
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    "OMG I CANT USE INTERNAT WITHOUT DELETING HISTORY OMGGGAWD"

b:pleased
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    b:laugh

Anyway, I told my mum I installed Malwarebytes and then she was like "OMG THAT FROZE MY OLD COMPUTER IT DOESNT WORK"
    ._.
    It hasn't froze this computer yet but still b:sweat
    Hasn't picked up anything and has scanned 50k+ "objects".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited February 2012
    Options
    well i'm not like "OMG I CANT USE INTERNAT WITHOUT DELETING HISTORY OMGGGAWD" but after about 3 days of browsing without deleting it, it bogs down my internet and I'd rather have a faster browsing session than a slow one. The history, cache, etc. all of that fun stuff that comes with browsing the internet.

Wut.
    Why would it...

You probably either have a **** computer or a bad connection.
    I reallyyyy don't see why such simple things would even affect your browsing...

I mean come on, history is just a log. It shouldn't be impacting you at all.
    Cache can be set at a limit and only takes up space, it shouldn't have negative performance (in fact I'm pretty sure cache helps you browse the internet faster...).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scarfaceclaw
    scarfaceclaw Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    No, the reason why I'm concerned is, over time if you don't delete it, it'll slow the internet and computer down.

As a PC techician of many years, that's balls.
    What kind of fool pays for a free game.
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options

I'm gonna scan my C and D drive now with that malwarebytes, thanks for sharing it, Tsukyini b:thanks

I have never deleted my browser history on this computer, and I've had it for just over two years. It has never affected my computer's performance in any way. b:shocked

Also, no offense to you or your mother, but your mother doesn't sound like the most knowledgeable person when it comes to computers.b:shutup

Just how old was the old computer she tried to run Malwarebytes on?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    (I didn't put this in tech support forum cus no one important reads that!)

So as you all probably read, I got a newerish computer that runs really good compared to my old one did. I hope you bare with me and read the whole wall of text because the first paragraph isn't the problem, it just leads up to the problem.

Unfortunately, for some reason, it won't delete the browsing history after I exit out of the internet even though I have all the correct things checked on the options page. My task manager shows there's multiple ones still running after I close out so that's probably the problem, but even after I manually exit out of them, the delete browsing history just loops and never deletes it. I installed ccleaner.exe to clean up my history so I don't have to really worry about it and from google searches, the multiple internets up isn't really a problem. There's maybe at max 3 up at a time after I exit out of the one I'm using and there's no symptoms of a virus anywhere else. And also, before I even plugged this computer in, I had people clean it out of all the viruses, so unless I got a virus in between hooking it up to the internet and installing my antivirus software (which is the FIRST thing I did) I highly doubt it's a virus. I think it has something to do with the browser I'm using, I hear it's a problem with the Vista and IE 7 but I'm not too sure. Like I said, nothing has made me think it's a virus. My brother even said it probably wasn't.

But that's not the point.

My mum decided it was bad for the computer and decided to install AGV 2012. I don't know much about it except it's an antivirus program and she installed it because Trend Micro wasn't picking up a virus since she decided the non-deleting history was a virus in itself. Now it started to act like there's a virus on it. If you even think about wanting to do anything with AGV it completely freezes the computer and you have to restart it by pressing the power button. It takes more than 10 seconds to open the internet and about 15 to actually show my homepage. I attempted to uninstall it but it just freezes and never moves the progression bar. I'm not really sure how to uninstall it at this point, can anyone give me tips? b:sad
    Jezus AVG is one of the worst antivirus.
    Install good firewall like comodo+avira antivirus or antivirus from Microsoft security essentials.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scarfaceclaw
    scarfaceclaw Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If you want a free AV with a proven track, try Avast!.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
    What kind of fool pays for a free game.
  • Ytrud - Archosaur
    Ytrud - Archosaur Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I dont know if you have resolved your issues yet, but you could try a hard reset. Shut down PC, pull plug and hold power button for 60 seconds. Plug back in, restart.

Ive done this for both my PCs when I had graphics problems and ie hesitation.

This site has other useful tools (link via another user on forums)

PWIGuides.guildlaunch.com
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I dont know if you have resolved your issues yet, but you could try a hard reset. Shut down PC, pull plug and hold power button for 60 seconds. Plug back in, restart.

Ive done this for both my PCs when I had graphics problems and ie hesitation.

This site has other useful tools (link via another user on forums)

PWIGuides.guildlaunch.com

Like pulling the plug would do anything...

Shutting down every once in a while doesn't hurt though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Whit all the time your gonna spend trying to fix this problem. Your probably better to reinstall the OS.

1st use google find a CD key extractor program. Your windows CD key is encrypted in your registry somewhere. Take note on a paper or print it when u found it.

Then just download any original windows cd version you have from a torrent or other web site u like. Read the comment before to make sure the ISO was not tempered whit.

Then just Burn the ISO to a new CD or DVD and proceed whit installation.

I recommend you download all your driver before u format. And Use comodo Internet security premium. There is a free version whit anti-virus/sandbox/defender all in one.

Update IE to IE8 on new installation, but Use Crome or Opera there much safer or just less popular to attract problem.

Good luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver
    _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 753 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Ctr+Shift+Del is your friend
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I Miss the old days of PWIb:surrender
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    number your issues and describe BREIFLY, paragraph is confusing.
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    When my old laptop went to pot, I just put it back to it's factory spec. Someone can confirm this for me, but before you get to your login details, on the windows logo, press F10? and reboot. It takes a little while, and you lose everything, but it can save your laptop.

Maybe that's abit extreme though :x
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Why are people suggesting reinstalling the os?

Op's problem is not that extreme. b:embarrass
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    As a PC techician of many years, that's balls.

I guess I should of reworded that. On my old PC, I couldn't really browse the internet as smoothly without deleting cache/history etc. It wasn't much but I could tell when it needed to be deleted and once it was, it ran a little bit better. Also note that I'm using IE so Google Chrome/etc might not do that, I'm not sure. But it definitely bogged it down for my old computer. Also note that computer was from 6 years ago. Just about anything would bog it down.
    Anyway, the issue isn't that runs slower without it or whatever, I just like to clean up my PC every so often, so stop picking on the fact that I like to delete my browsing history once in awhile, guys. If I wanted tech help on whether or not I should delete it, I'll ask you guys about that. I was simply asking why it loops instead of actually deleting it, etc.

Anyway, like I said on page 3(?) I finally got AGV uninstalled and my multiple iexplorer.exe on the task manager is no longer a problem. Also, malwarebytes didn't find any viruses on my C or D drive.

Also I'm not looking for an antivirus software, like I said, I had trend installed and my mum decided to put in AGV because apparently "trend wasn't enough".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I guess I should of reworded that. On my old PC, I couldn't really browse the internet as smoothly without deleting cache/history etc. It wasn't much but I could tell when it needed to be deleted and once it was, it ran a little bit better. Also note that I'm using IE so Google Chrome/etc might not do that, I'm not sure. But it definitely bogged it down for my old computer. Also note that computer was from 6 years ago. Just about anything would bog it down.
    Anyway, the issue isn't that runs slower without it or whatever, I just like to clean up my PC every so often, so stop picking on the fact that I like to delete my browsing history once in awhile, guys. If I wanted tech help on whether or not I should delete it, I'll ask you guys about that. I was simply asking why it loops instead of actually deleting it, etc.

It's probably the placebo effect.
    You think it's doing something when reality it's not and it's something else.
    but whatever, you can through the effort of cleaning it out, but usually people do it either because they don't want people snooping in their history, or clearing out their cache to save space (which again, can be limited).
    There are also other reasons but none iirc deal with better performance.

Better performance is removing addons (which ie has like none), removing all toolbars (totally useless and usually have spyware or other **** in it), simply either switching to a another browser or updating it.

Also I'm not looking for an antivirus software, like I said, I had trend installed and my mum decided to put in AGV because apparently "trend wasn't enough".

How does your mom know what's best?
    Does she even know a thing about computers?
    I know trying to go beyond her "better judgement" isn't the best of ideas, but then again it doesn't hurt to try and persuade her that antiviruses like avg just aren't the best.

Just go get avast or microsoft security essentials and be done with it.

Not trying to force anything on you, but what we are saying are usually the most common steps of stopping your pc from becoming infected and having better performance (in most cases).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    It's probably the placebo effect.
    You think it's doing something when reality it's not and it's something else.
    but whatever, you can through the effort of cleaning it out, but usually people do it either because they don't want people snooping in their history, or clearing out their cache to save space (which again, can be limited).
    There are also other reasons but none iirc deal with better performance.

Better performance is removing addons (which ie has like none), removing all toolbars (totally useless and usually have spyware or other **** in it), simply either switching to a another browser or updating it.
    Well like I said, if I wanted to know if it matters about deleting it or not, I'd ask. The reason why I delete it sometimes is because I like to clean out my PC once in awhile, disc defrag, disc cleanup, delete browsing history, etc. I don't care if it doesn't affect my performance, I like to keep thinks clean. So let's not focus on whether or not it really affects my internet sessions.
    How does your mom know what's best?
    Does she even know a thing about computers?
    I know trying to go beyond her "better judgement" isn't the best of ideas, but then again it doesn't hurt to try and persuade her that antiviruses like avg just aren't the best.

Just go get avast or microsoft security essentials and be done with it.
    Not trying to force anything on you, but what we are saying are usually the most common steps of stopping your pc from becoming infected and having better performance (in most cases).

Actually my mum is pretty computer knowledgable, she just made a flop about the AGV thing since google DOES say it's the "best antivirus" out there based on a google search. But anyway, we're back to just Trend Micro because it's pretty good imo.
    Anyway, I know and understand what you're saying here in the last sentence and I'm not saying I don't believe you guys (I mean I did install the Malwarebytes program) but there's really nothing I can say "OH IT WORKED" because like I said (unless no one really reads my posts?) I already found a way to uninstall AGV and my multiple iexplorer.exe problem is no longer valid.
    The reason why my post seemed a little harsh? maybe, is because i don't give a **** about whether or not deleting the internet history slows anything down nor do I care that it's a placebo effect, I just like to clear it out and like to think it does something. Does that harm the computer? No. Apparently it doesn't harm it to keep it, either, but that's not what I wanna do. My problem was that when I do delete it, it loops instead actually deleting it (which i said in about 3 other posts but people CONTINUE to address the "you don't need to delete it" ****)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Ytrud - Archosaur
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Like pulling the plug would do anything...

Shutting down every once in a while doesn't hurt though.

It's to get rid of residual energy.
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Well like I said, if I wanted to know if it matters about deleting it or not, I'd ask. The reason why I delete it sometimes is because I like to clean out my PC once in awhile, disc defrag, disc cleanup, delete browsing history, etc. I don't care if it doesn't affect my performance, I like to keep thinks clean. So let's not focus on whether or not it really affects my internet sessions.

Defragging and clean up do have effects, but uh ok, whatever.
    Actually my mum is pretty computer knowledgable, she just made a flop about the AGV thing since google DOES say it's the "best antivirus" out there based on a google search.

If google told you hello kitty is the best online game, would you play it?
    But anyway, we're back to just Trend Micro because it's pretty good imo.

Never used it so I can't comment on that.
    Anyway, I know and understand what you're saying here in the last sentence and I'm not saying I don't believe you guys (I mean I did install the Malwarebytes program) but there's really nothing I can say "OH IT WORKED" because like I said (unless no one really reads my posts?) I already found a way to uninstall AGV and my multiple iexplorer.exe problem is no longer valid.
    The reason why my post seemed a little harsh? maybe, is because i don't give a **** about whether or not deleting the internet history slows anything down nor do I care that it's a placebo effect, I just like to clear it out and like to think it does something. Does that harm the computer? No. Apparently it doesn't harm it to keep it, either, but that's not what I wanna do. My problem was that when I do delete it, it loops instead actually deleting it (which i said in about 3 other posts but people CONTINUE to address the "you don't need to delete it" ****)

Can you define looping?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    It's to get rid of residual energy.

i like to fire off an EMP every once in a while for the same reason. it kills all the electronic bugs in my house too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Defragging and clean up do have effects, but uh ok, whatever.

too lazy to end quotes and stuff but i meant the "i don't care if it blahblah" stuff for deleting browser history. I know that the other things do have effects.

If google told you hello kitty is the best online game, would you play it?

hello kitty is the best online game. D;

Never used it so I can't comment on that.

no comment either

Can you define looping?

Well I'll go to delete it, go to take a shower. See that it's still running so go to eat dinner. See that it's still running, so I go to sleep, wake up and see that it's still running so I have to kill the task through task manager. Basically, I could go to delete it, then leave on a weekend vacation and come back to it still trying to delete it. And I don't have THAT much history. b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Ytrud - Archosaur
    edited February 2012
    Options
    i like to fire off an EMP every once in a while for the same reason. it kills all the electronic bugs in my house too.

Not the roaches!!! (yeah i'm sure you meant different kind of bugs, still :P)

I have to do this locking out anything at work (otherwise i could lose an arm or any other appendage) just never thought about doing it on a PC. It was suggested by another member, so i thought couldn't hurt to try.
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Well I'll go to delete it, go to take a shower. See that it's still running so go to eat dinner. See that it's still running, so I go to sleep, wake up and see that it's still running so I have to kill the task through task manager. Basically, I could go to delete it, then leave on a weekend vacation and come back to it still trying to delete it. And I don't have THAT much history. b:sweat

Just curious, which version of ie are you using?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ytrud - Archosaur
    edited February 2012
    Options

Killing it mid delete is why it's not gone. With everything running properly it shouldn't take long at all. Unless it's and ancient pc, it should be less than a minute, pretty much instant on all of my pc's, and i've never deleted history/cache ect before. Now i gotta remember all my user/pass to everything but oh well :P
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Just curious, which version of ie are you using?
    IE 7 to my knowledge.

Killing it mid delete is why it's not gone. With everything running properly it shouldn't take long at all. Unless it's and ancient pc, it should be less than a minute, pretty much instant on all of my pc's, and i've never deleted history/cache ect before. Now i gotta remember all my user/pass to everything but oh well :P

I know, which is why I'm saying that it's a problem. I don't just randomly kill it middeletion for the lulz, I mean, I've left it sit overnight to delete and it was still there. Even on my old computer, it was almost instant delete.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited February 2012
    Options

Or it could be an old pc running an old version, usually newer versions are more optimized (though this is ie we're talking about lol).

But yeah, killing it is why it's still there.

If it's truly that slow, just leave it on overnight.

edit:
    IE 7 to my knowledge.

I know, which is why I'm saying that it's a problem. I don't just randomly kill it middeletion for the lulz, I mean, I've left it sit overnight to delete and it was still there. Even on my old computer, it was almost instant delete.

well in that case...

try updating to... ie 9?
    I think that's the latest one.

Do check on microsoft's website to make sure it'll be compatible w/ whatever you're usign as an os.

or ie 8 if you have xp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Futurelord - Dreamweaver
    Futurelord - Dreamweaver Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    well in that case...

try updating to... ie 9?
    I think that's the latest one.

Do check on microsoft's website to make sure it'll be compatible w/ whatever you're usign as an os.

or ie 8 if you have xp.

Bubbles you should be ashamed! Never encourage the use of IE of any type!

Sigh, I enjoyed the old days when my boyfriend (now ex) was a computer specialist and did all the work for me.

What someone else said is correct, with the sheer amount of time and effort your putting into trying to resolve this issue, its best just to re install the OS. I'm getting a new laptop next month which is why I can say this without caring. If you took this approach you could simply install the best anti virus, delete IE, install Google Chrome (its a lot more simpletic in looks then firefox with useful addons) and never have to worry about your computer again cause you started it's new life with the best possible tools.

Delete your history physically like someone else suggested. I would recommend some of the software I use for defragging and whatnot but they were all made by people I know, not downloaded from a website. (That reminds me to email my ex and get a copy of his external anti virus)

If all else fails, send it in to get repaired (Have it get lost in the mail) and cash in on the insurance to get a new one (cough, cough) Never trust UPS >.>
    b:scorn...We are one, We are many, We are watching you...b:scorn