Fly With Me Nomore: How PWI use to be tribute video

Sympathi - Archosaur
Sympathi - Archosaur Posts: 623 Arc User
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
We all have our own reasons to why we play Perfect World, the old school player and new alike, and I'm sure we all remember how amazing this game use to be before marketing took over. I've never been able to express this through forum posting or such so I made a tribute video for all them people who remember the old days, the way it was;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alDTfAqB5co

the video is aimed at all the things we use to do as a community and groups as a whole rather then the solo world its become for us, and what's changed the game into what it is, we all continue to play for our own reasons and we'll never forget the memories we made.

I tried to include as many activities and locations as I can, share yours if I have missed them! And please like the video if you agree.

Enjoy,
Ascii
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:: Youtube.com/YCEvenix :: Seeker PvP, PvE and TW Videos
Post edited by Sympathi - Archosaur on

Comments

• Metalogue - Archosaur
    Metalogue - Archosaur Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    The part that hit me home the hardest was the economy and the hyper exp part. It's quite saddening to see how a potentially great "F2P" game has taken a turn for the worst. Excellent music choice, and definitely brings back many memories.

nerf sins and/or aps gogogo
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited December 2011
    The irony... the severe irony that watching the video, listening to the music and thinking about all the points you've brought up in the video... I can see where the complaints come from. This should be shown to the devs in China.

Some other points:

Pvp- showed just how much its dead, sadly and coincided with aps

Economy- made me tear up b:sad

Public quest, open world and questing- made me even more sad, because when PQ first came out, everyone and their grandma was doing that. Now, your lucky to find anybody doing it.

FCC and Hypers- Severe LOL. Period.

Edit: Even the bosses look freaking sad D:
  • NiightmareXz - Harshlands
    NiightmareXz - Harshlands Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I miss all the PvE parts, like random TT squads, boss days, etc. Every where is empty except for Northwest corner of the map and arch... Kind of sad. No one really talks anymore either. "Friends" move on to trying to get awesome gear and if you can't keep up with them, you're no longer friends.
    The economy... eh. Economy is bound to change over time, I mean look at the real world economy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ˙buoɹʇs ǝq ןן,ı ʇɐɥʇ ɟןǝsʎɯ ןןǝʇ ı os
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I like where u tried to show off the PvP spot (that people still use btw, wasn't Arch the dead server anyway?) and a sin pops outta nowhere and one shots your **** lol
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Sigh I miss fishing, and meeting people while questing, and mass PvP fights where the levels and gear were diverse.

I miss when the journey through PWI was the fun part b:cry
  • TPstar - Sanctuary
    TPstar - Sanctuary Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Personally I don't think the game changed much, except hyper and its players.

I used to be content with 1 to 2 hours of grinding at level 90 in TT70 gears. I never did TW at that time, I do not care about gears. It wasn't until I started doing TW, then things changed for me. I wanted to get better gears to be more helpful in many ways. Is it really the game changed, or is it me?

One other factor is that we are only a few patch behind the Chinese version of this game now. We used to have a lot of things to do in this game because we started the game 2 or 3 years behind China. If feels like so much content because it takes a while for our player base to catch up with them. Now that we are not far behind, it feels like there isn't much to do.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    This video is epic. My comments on this:

Zhenning, the best fun I've had with PW, I was one of the best lurers, so pro, I cause party wipes with big pulls. b:cryb:surrender

Fishing, I've never done fishing...it was around when I was zhenning, just never did it. Speaking of, I've also never did "hell zhen".

Butterflies, I did those, and it was truly.....annoying with the poison, great for glaze though, back when glaze was needed.

PvP, did some PvP back when TT90 zerk axes were considered OP. Now, PvP is stupid, only because of sins. Yes.....QQing about sins. Rank 9 also killed it, I think its stupid to brag about 1 shots with r9 imo like most players do these days.

FCC before the change to the EXP-based one, was challenging, and yes, I raged about it. b:chuckle

FCC after the change to EXP-based one, was nice at first, it was something to do at lvl 90+ and APS wasn't really a trend then. Remember when PWi offered a +10% coupon for zen if you completed it?

FCC after hypers, it was truly amazing, you had to admit, gaining so much EXP in one sitting at 90+ was a lot, and crazy. However that's where the rage began, those who lvl to 100 thru dailies and such raged, but ended up moving on.

Old memories for me, RB Gamma with my perm squad back then, it was fun and extremely challenging, stupid double wave. Delta was also hard learning as a Barb....dying on 3rd wave and disappointing the party.....b:cry

The economy, back then when gold was 100K or so, you can grind a lvl 45 and a few hours of it was rewarding. You did quests, gained EXP, DQs for money, and completed quests that even gave you more rewards. At lvl 50, if you needed the hammer for supply stash, it only took a few hours of grinding, for me that was at Misfortune on those sharks.

Questing, was fun and annoying. Grinding did get boring at times, past lvl 90 was when I slowed down a lot on questing. My favorite questing spot was Land of Burning Heart, especially since I was in the 80s and looking forward to being Sage. Nixes were great for DQs and exp during 2x as well. b:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Oh look, this thread again.

The only advantage old pw had was less cashshopping, no overpowered classes (at least not as unbalanced as now), and no packs. The community was more interactive with each other, more fun pvp and more quests for doing fbs/bhs.

Seriously, there is nothing fun about the older pw (in terms of features), all it was was grinding all day and doing mundane quests, don't tell me you guys seriously enjoyed that (yes kinda generalizing it a bit too much, but really, it's something you don't want again, it's all the other parts of old pw that you can never get back that you guys nostalgia about). b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asgardeus - Sanctuary
    Asgardeus - Sanctuary Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    As much as I gotta agree with you on some parts... Why a 104 r9 seeker to film. That's just so damn ironic with the content...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sympathi - Archosaur
    edited December 2011
    As much as I gotta agree with you on some parts... Why a 104 r9 seeker to film. That's just so damn ironic with the content...

This is not a video to disagree or degrade how PWI is atm just a comparison to how it is now, every old school player such as myself who still plays would of had to adapt, unless u expected me to still be in tt99, and its 103 b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwiqq
    pwiqq Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    LOL 103 rank 9 seeker and 103 cleric. FC glitch much? b:laugh

pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1138561&page=2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asgardeus - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    I know, and it hit some memories indeed. But... it's just sad in a way .-.
    Maybe it's the bitter taste of seeing those memories compared to the present. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Some of those problems are beyond our control, but others... people choose to condone and participate in. The old game isn't dead, people. There's just no one left who wants to play it. Everyone just wants to play the hyper-leveling aps-fest we have now.

If you want the old game back, play like it. It starts with you.

All in all, good stuff. I'd love to see you expand on this concept more. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Asgardeus - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011

So so true. I recently started a baby psy and am actually questing on her. It's different, yes the areas are emptier, but it's so much cooler exploring and meeting people than rushing anywhere. Yes, it's up to people how they want to play.

I feel like quoting you in my siggie haha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sympathi - Archosaur
    edited December 2011
    So so true. I recently started a baby psy and am actually questing on her. It's different, yes the areas are emptier, but it's so much cooler exploring and meeting people than rushing anywhere. Yes, it's up to people how they want to play.

Yea its just hard to play like that though, what with the majority of new people who play through the new-style concept it imposes on everyone. Id love to go back to that style but its just long gone and few choose to play like it.

Ill admit I've lost my old school feel as the years gone by and keep doing silly stuff like this, but its remembering them and the friends I've met that keeps me on PW personally.

It was listening to the first theme tune as i looked through TW videos that made me want to make this video.
    I like where u tried to show off the PvP spot (that people still use btw, wasn't Arch the dead server anyway?) and a sin pops outta nowhere and one shots your **** lol

The sin in the video is a friend of mine, i tried arch west gate but sins were camping there and i wanted to show how sins imbalance PvP too much so we went SP so we wouldn't be interrupted
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2011
    Yea its just hard to play like that though, what with the majority of new people who play through the new-style concept it imposes on everyone. Id love to go back to that style but its just long gone and few choose to play like it.

Ill admit I've lost my old school feel as the years gone by and keep doing silly stuff like this, but its remembering them and the friends I've met that keeps me on PW personally.

It was listening to the first theme tune as i looked through TW videos that made me want to make this video.
    I dunno, I've always thought the "imposing" business is a lie. In the end, you choose your own gear. If you want to get r8/9 or aps then oh well - looks like you're buying into the game as it is now. :P

At the very least, people should run through instances once in awhile with a 2008/2009-style geared squad. It gives a truer sense of what the game was designed to be, really.

Feel free.

I've personally quested on every char I've ever made. What that means to me is that some (such as my psy or seeker) won't even get past lv30 or so, because I lost interest in them. And that's a natural progression. It leaves me playing with the ones I do like. I'd rather quit a char than abuse FF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    whats even more ironic is the 105 commenting and contributing to the compaint he says lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Envelope - Raging Tide
    Envelope - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Yes... this video brings back many, many good memories. Nicely done indeed.

Funny thing how people blame me for not being adaptive since i like the old times better. The game wasn't perfect, of course, but it was better than it is now. You want to know why? Because people actually HAD TO PLAY IT. There were no shortcuts, no cheats. You could not get to level 100 within a few days no matter how much money you had.

You think grinding was a pain? No, to me it felt rewarding. Because i knew that if i work diligently, i would earn a lot of money, and a lot of experience. At the end of a five hours grinding session, i could look at the coins and exp earned and be sure that my efforts had not been in vain.

I started playing in my first faction around level 35, when the others were like 60-ish. Within a few weeks, i had reached level 75, with TT70 gears, and i even leveled my crafting skills. I had out-leveled and out-geared everyone just by patiently grinding, questing, and farming. People used to admire me for my hard work, but this isn't happening anymore - actually people pity me today. I reached level 101 and reached celestial demon too, but it doesn't seem to have any meaning, i cannot pvp, i cannot farm gear, i cannot do anything. The players that just want to play the game normally don't seem to be entitled to play the game anymore...
    Some of those problems are beyond our control, but others... people choose to condone and participate in. The old game isn't dead, people. There's just no one left who wants to play it. Everyone just wants to play the hyper-leveling aps-fest we have now.

This is so true... but it doesn't seem like there are many people left that think that way. After all, playing the game like in the old times is no fun if you end up playing alone. Then again, it might be my fault for being bad at making friends b:shedtear
  • Sympathi - Archosaur
    edited December 2011
    Krisnda wrote: »
    The irony... the severe irony that watching the video, listening to the music and thinking about all the points you've brought up in the video... I can see where the complaints come from. This should be shown to the devs in China.

Some other points:

Pvp- showed just how much its dead, sadly and coincided with aps

Economy- made me tear up b:sad

Public quest, open world and questing- made me even more sad, because when PQ first came out, everyone and their grandma was doing that. Now, your lucky to find anybody doing it.

FCC and Hypers- Severe LOL. Period.

Edit: Even the bosses look freaking sad D:

Yea i wanted to try to capture all them bosses that use to have squads everywhere, one thing i forgot to include was cave of sadistic glee. That place only the real old schoolers would remember, doing the 86 ultimate orb quest for your pants, them insanely unkillable bosses and also one of the few public inside instances.

The bosses do look sad especially Empyrean Slither i caught him at a perfect time for the video.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    The only advantage old pw had was less cashshopping, no overpowered classes (at least not as unbalanced as now), and no packs. The community was more interactive with each other, more fun pvp and more quests for doing fbs/bhs.

Can't tell if you were being sarcastic on that bit when you said "only", but you listed so many good points.
    Seriously, there is nothing fun about the older pw (in terms of features), all it was was grinding all day and doing mundane quests, don't tell me you guys seriously enjoyed that (yes kinda generalizing it a bit too much, but really, it's something you don't want again, it's all the other parts of old pw that you can never get back that you guys nostalgia about). b:bye

I'll admit that especially during the level 60-70 stage which sucked the most (because you coulden't really zhen and there wasn't many good grinding spots) that the game blew *** during that period, but after that it was good again, you could then zhen, fish, butterflies, bats, more TTs and Fb's and you could also be a little factor in TW at even level 70 because as someone already said, gear and levels wernt that much of a huge factor and level 90 was pretty much considered end game, due to TT 90 being one of the best armour sets to get anyway.

So people could enjoy PK and TW much more, especially without worrying about what can only be the most broken class in my gaming history... assassins on PWI, when they can tank the hardiest boss in the entire game, solo, without a healing class, you know somethings up, regardless of how OP'd to death their gear is, fact is, no other class can solo harpy wraith (without BP and perma spark), the game may have been more slower to level, but the experience was much more fun overall instead of hyper/FC/r8/r9/sin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2011
    This is so true... but it doesn't seem like there are many people left that think that way. After all, playing the game like in the old times is no fun if you end up playing alone. Then again, it might be my fault for being bad at making friends b:shedtear
    In my experience, the problem is that people embrace things that they know are bad for the game, by convincing themselves that "oh, it's just how things are now."

But it's an illusion. You can still zhen. You can still run an old TT with no APS squad (except maybe TT3, but that's because they buffed it). You can do your BH with classic squads. And every boss in that video is just as enjoyable to kill as it always was.

When people stop pretending that the game is better off with this **** we condone today, maybe we can make up some squads (or even factions) of people dedicated to classic-style gameplay here in PWI. Until then, threads like these are going to crop up... by people who hate the current game but think they can't do anything about it.

Don't you believe it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Can't tell if you were being sarcastic on that bit when you said "only", but you listed so many good points.

Not sarcastic.
    Old pw was only fun because it wasn't mucked up by cashshopping nor was it unbalanced.
    However, when you compare the two versions, if you look beyond everything we complain about, there are a lot of things that make our current version superior to what we started out with in 2008.
    The problem is, the most important of these features were added in with not enough afterthought and weren't addressed properly when players complained about them.

Though to be honest, even the older versions of pw had it's own issues, but pwi got updated faster than something like pw my-en, so of course those issues never really took effect here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I started laughing on the bosses for the dragon and the one over in Wilderness, forget their names. Still remember having to explain to everyone over and over, "yes you get the quest early, no you will not survive." Got some lvl 5Xs when I was lvl 62 cleric and finally beat the dragon. And the guys who didn't pay attention died of course.

I've got a barb I'm using to go through old-school style right now. It gets no help from my other characters, is leveling all its crafts by crafting. Saving money up on it so that it can buy only items CS available in 2008 with using my main/alts as an exchanger to emulate the 100-120k cost of gold. It's actually pretty fun and relaxing, would be fun to have a group of people doing that and co-ordinate using the chat room feature.

EDIT: Grinding xp was not hard back then either. 7% an hour with xp scroll at 88 when fishing, Rebirth Delta/Gamma, AoE'ing offered decent ways to gain levels. Not sure why everyone acts like it was so difficult to level up back then.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Nadel - Dreamweaver
    Nadel - Dreamweaver Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2011

This...I agree but haven't been able to find it in game. There's actually more to do than there was years ago, but no one's doing any of it.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Oh look, this thread again.

You've really got it wrong.

I made friends during that time, and when we went to different factions, we still remained friends.

Now-a-days, you have someone leave your faction, and for the most part, they're nobody you know anymore.

The game was FUN in 2008. The game is still fun now, but... Not ANYWHERE near as fun. Game mechanics be damned, you had to actually PLAY to get anywhere. Now you just shove a credit card in and you've got 20 hojillion levels. What's the fun in that?
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Sukinee - Heavens Tear
    Sukinee - Heavens Tear Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    That video did remind me of how empty the map is today. I mean, on Heaven's Tear, there used to be a fight to get mats that spawn in different areas of the map. I can now fly to all the areas that have level 3 mats and not see a single farmer. For the past couple of days, I have flown in different newbie areas, as well as Broken Bow Bluff and I hardly see anyone. Instead of seeing a bunch of lag at Broken Bow Bluff, it's all concentrated in Snowy Village (and by that I mean players that are getting power-leveled).

People still do farm for mats. I ran a solo Lunar run on my 92 veno today with an armored bear. The instance took some time to finish, but it was fun. Whenever I can, I at least try to run TT or solo Lunar runs to farm mats for potential use.

On all of my toons, I have done almost all the quests that are available. The persistent problem that is in the game is that there are not enough quests that give noticeable experience in the 80s+; it's all about running the same instance again and again until you are on complete autopilot and leveling becomes more of a chore rather than something fun.

Zhening is still possible, however it would be a bit harder nowadays to find a squad. Personally I used to run Frost on my main, and now I do it on my 90s alts, simply because it helps ease the drag of leveling in the 90s, however I still do some things such as grinding and cube.

In the end of things, we all have the choice of how we have fun in the game, if you able to "keep up with the Jones", then more power to you, however please realize that you can still make it through this game successfully without elite gear (I'm using this in reference to PVE, which is the mandatory part of the game).

It is still possible to do things "the old way." Simply find a faction or make friends that share the interest. There are still people that care :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Member of Nocturne and Hikari...spread the light be nice to others!

"I conform to non-conformity." Join date: November 2008 :D
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2011
    This...I agree but haven't been able to find it in game. There's actually more to do than there was years ago, but no one's doing any of it.
    But that's just it, you see. Between you and me and Asgardeus and the OP... that's four people who (roughly) feel the same in these three pages alone. :P

It's not that we don't exist. It's that there's no system of organization to play with each other (or rather, our colleagues on our respective servers). We just go to Empyrean Slither (or whoever)'s spot, find no one, and leave disheartened. That's why sometimes I think a "classic" styled faction could be viable, with the right level of dedication.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    The part that hit me home the hardest was the economy and the hyper exp part. It's quite saddening to see how a potentially great "F2P" game has taken a turn for the worst. Excellent music choice, and definitely brings back many memories.

nerf sins and/or aps gogogo

This post is so ironic.

105 char
    TWO R9 chars (see his sig)

Lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I missed (past tense since I quit) Training Esotericas (mijis).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    Kitkate - Dreamweaver Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I play the game the old way with one of my good friend's. We had a faction that encouraged people who joined to play the old way and it was really popular, but I started college and since I couldn't dedicate my time to the faction anymore, I had to tell people to just go elsewhere so they wouldn't be stuck in a faction with an inactive leader.
    I still keep in touch with most of the members though, and whenever I want to squad up for something I just ask. Most of the time me and my friend do just fine though doing fbs and bosses and such on our own. I've only gone in FC a few times to do the actual quests that require you to go in there, not to hyper.