Fly With Me Nomore: How PWI use to be tribute video

1235»

Comments

• Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Your video is great and all.. .but nothing of what you really listed was PWE's fault for it going away. It was the very playerbase that complains about it now. We could all go back to the way it was if we wanted to.

I personally have embraced every change with stride and as such I have had many epic memories even AFTER all of that. In fact if I wasn't still having fun I wouldn't be here.
    And you'd still prefer this game over the old one? Why's that? What does the modern game have that the classic game didn't (that isn't negated by some sort of balance issue)?
    The fact PWE made options that vastly outgun traditional methods of leveling, purely for income, available i would say puts them more to blame then the player base. Sure everyone COULD go back to how it was, but then them who don't decide to and use methods such as x12 exp FC would gain a huge lead over those who don't which is imbalance.

Did you know in the Chinese version, you cannot activate hypers in FCC, think about that! b:chuckle
    Although I do use hypers in FF, I could do without them and so could everyone else. But really, if you want to talk about cannibalizing their own game for income, we should be talking about gears rather than exp. At which point, the phrase "General Summer's Sale" should be all the argument anyone would ever need (maybe with a little asterisk next to it which says AND PACKS, LOL).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Aceacles - Sanctuary
    Aceacles - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I know I'm only level 38 but I've been here since the very beginning of perfect world (just a few months after it was founded). I lost the ability to access the internet several times over the past few years. The first time was right after the tideborn expansion. The second time was right before the earthguard expansion. Every time I could I would get back on Perfect World and try to catch up on anything that changed. I didn't watch the changes go by slowly and gradually as they happened, and it is for this reason that I feel that I have a unique view on the changes that have come up in Perfect World since the beginning. Now that I've gotten that established:

1. I'm tired of people complaining about this game. If you really hate these changes so much, stop playing. If you still play this game, don't spend all of your free time complaining about it and making it less fun for everyone else who actually enjoys it.

2. I'm tired of people complaining every time Perfect World has a sale or event. This probably makes the least amount of sense to me. These people don't HAVE to put things on sale or give you twice the usually amount of experience points. We should be thankful when they occur, not wine about how they could have given us even more.

3. I'm tired of people complaining about there being too many catshops. My family doesn't HAVE real money. Having the ability to get things with coin that I would NEVER otherwise be able to afford is one of my favorite things about this game. If there weren't as many catshops as there are, I would never be able to play this game the way everyone else does.

4. I'm tired of people complaining that there's not as many people as there use to be. One of my least favorite things about playing this game use to be the tons of other people all in the same area as me killing things that I needed to kill yet refusing to be in a squad. The respawn rates of the monsters took forever in "the old" Perfect World. Quite frankly, I don't WANT to have to rely on other people to get something done in a video game. It's kind of a self-rewarding concept for me to finish my quests on my own.

The bottom line is, this is an amazing game. It has always been and amazing game. It will always be an amazing game. We should all be more grateful and appreciative of the people who make it their lives work to keep this game running for free so that we can all enjoy it together. In conclusion, stop complaining and realize that what we have in this game is something really special, or stop playing so that I don't have to deal with reading your comments everywhere I go.

LOVE TO ALL PW FRIENDS, FANS, AND FAMILY!
    Aceacles.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    2. I'm tired of people complaining every time Perfect World has a sale or event. This probably makes the least amount of sense to me. These people don't HAVE to put things on sale or give you twice the usually amount of experience points. We should be thankful when they occur, not wine about how they could have given us even more.

[and lots of other stuff]
    I can respect when you say you've been here awhile, but how closely have you followed this community in your absence? It would seem that you haven't, really. :-/

The issues people raise today are about balance and incentives, not catshops (?). The typical PWI player today has little to no patience for any questing or proper leveling methods. They simply abuse certain instances until they hit 100 (skipping over that amazing game world you (quite rightly) mention in the process), then they buy the same endgame gears everyone else has, try their hand at PVP for a couple of weeks, realize the PVP system is ****, and leave.

I would never judge based on level alone, but these are things you would not have experienced or understood at your level. You've never been turned down for Nirvana because you don't wear game-breaking gears. You've never had to quit a squad in disgust because some cheeky little kid is killing everything (with those same game-breaking gears) and clearly regards you more as his validation audience than any kind of respected contributor. You've never been hit with the realization that there is no point in engaging in any sort of PVP with 90% of your peers due to the balance issues those peers exploit. At level 38, about the most annoying thing you'll ever have to deal with is how far apart all those stupid Giant Pirhannas are for that one quest. :P

As far as the sales go... actually yes, they do need to have those sales, because they've essentially backed themselves into a corner wherein not having sales means a significant (perhaps disastrous) drop in profits (if only because people will wait to buy zen until the next sale which they know is coming). You may recall a day when these sales weren't constant... when PWE made money off a modest number of patient players buying useful (or vanity) items. Now, we see a company whose profits stem from the demands of big-spending, instant-gratification types... a demographic they did not really cater to in 2008. There are certain big events you can point to that illustrate this shift in priorities quite well... but the bottom line is, PWE had a chance to keep this game sustainable, and they blew it.

It's also worth noting that the developers of the world map we see today - the ones who really put their hearts and souls into it - have long since left the project. I'm not saying the current devs don't have any compassion for it (it's more their legendary incompetence that's the problem, there). But at the end of the day, the people running the game right now make very little effort to balance the profit motive with genuine consideration for game issues.

And finally, the killstealers who wouldn't squad with anyone. Ahh, yes, I remember them well. I think that's your only complaint I can agree with wholeheartedly. But then, the only reason they're gone is because those types of people (y'know... impatient, oblivious to those around them, and completely uninterested in the "multiplayer" aspect of an MMO) found a new niche in the form of abusing FF. Which is kinda the worst thing to do, because that kind of attitude should never be encouraged or rewarded. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    gyroki wrote: »
    I like ginger snaps

me too bro.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Your video is great and all.. .but nothing of what you really listed was PWE's fault for it going away. It was the very playerbase that complains about it now. We could all go back to the way it was if we wanted to.

I personally have embraced every change with stride and as such I have had many epic memories even AFTER all of that. In fact if I wasn't still having fun I wouldn't be here.

What... no we couldn't. Look at the history of changes PWE has made. Almost all can be broken down into exploiting the fact money = skill in this game. The majority of changes brought to this version by PWE have been met by criticism from the playerbase. PWE could have went for a large population and lasting game by creating a more balanced game with less of a reward for csing. Instead they went all in by adding the best gear to the cash shop and giving the finger to F2P players. The make up of the player base simply adapts to the changes PWE brings. There were a lot more skilled players with arguably better attitudes playing this game compared to the keyboard slamming +12 r9 egoboosted players you have now.
  • didi
    didi Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    The way I see it, the game is still better then most other mm out there but the experience we got from it was far better before compared to now.

The fact though, there are a great deal of content added since the sharp increase in change, therefore theres alot more things we can do, yet many of us feel as though there not much to do compared to then. The increase in the amount of people going afk is evidence of this.

A micro look at grinding for xp vs hyper introduction, should reveal that by adding new content, we lost alot in many ways. Back then, there were always something to do, and these quest such as Jewl, and the Eye monster gave us pretty interesting experience. These emotional experience such as greed for more xp, desperation to level but unable to get help, feeling nice to want to help others complete their quest, feelings of helplessness to complete a task but to find solution by working together to overcome difficult situation, meeting people and making friends along the way etc.

While I'm against grinding and pro hyper, I believe that when hyper replace quest for xp, it should have replace these said experience mention above as well. Instead of introducing hyper alone, they should have added contents along with hyper to replace those experience. Instead, they pretty much lead us to lvl 100 with nothing in between.

Anyway, what I like about the old days.

- skills went along way
    - being smart or having streetsmart with get you further
    - your main is a reflection of your individual self or your ego self. You feel like you chose the class with minimal external influence.
    - there wasn't enough time to play the game, (higly addictive then) which is a bad thing
    - was rarely bored.
    - every class had an important roll/task they can do in a squade.
    - When in a good squade, everyone was very appreciative of the outcome.
    - how there were things to learn and how usefull these lessens were.
    - people were in their best mood then including myself
    - saying hi when joining a squade was the norm unlike now. possibly because of how nirvana affected us.
    - we experience many things and go many places. Now, my day can be as simple as doing nothing other then nirvana and checking ah, especially the last few weeks with bh being lunar so often.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    1. I'm tired of people complaining about this game. If you really hate these changes so much, stop playing. If you still play this game, don't spend all of your free time complaining about it and making it less fun for everyone else who actually enjoys it.

There's nothing wrong with complaining about a game that you still want to play. That's just people wanting to make it better. There's a very big difference between complaint with valid arguments and QQ.

You have no experience of higher level content, how can you understand when someone is mad about a sale? People farmed for a year to get their Nirvana gear, then in one sale all that effort was laid to waste by a R8/R9 sale, which was not only cheaper, but better. You have no idea what those people went through, so you think putting Rank on sale was a big favor or something? Think everyone that farmed for Nirv can agree that it was a hard kick in the balls.
    3. I'm tired of people complaining about there being too many catshops. My family doesn't HAVE real money. Having the ability to get things with coin that I would NEVER otherwise be able to afford is one of my favorite things about this game. If there weren't as many catshops as there are, I would never be able to play this game the way everyone else does.

Who in this thread actually complained about that?
    4. I'm tired of people complaining that there's not as many people as there use to be. One of my least favorite things about playing this game use to be the tons of other people all in the same area as me killing things that I needed to kill yet refusing to be in a squad. The respawn rates of the monsters took forever in "the old" Perfect World. Quite frankly, I don't WANT to have to rely on other people to get something done in a video game. It's kind of a self-rewarding concept for me to finish my quests on my own.

The number of people that KS and won't squad is very low compared to the number of people that squad, socialize, and try to make friends. I've played past lvl 60 on 6 different characters before and after hypers, so I can say that you take that out of proportion. Also, I can tell you that no class at low-mid levels can KS an archer easily. That's just ridiculous. Now you get lvl 100s one shotting low level cultivation mobs, is that much better?
    The bottom line is, this is an amazing game. It has always been and amazing game. It will always be an amazing game. We should all be more grateful and appreciative of the people who make it their lives work to keep this game running for free so that we can all enjoy it together. In conclusion, stop complaining and realize that what we have in this game is something really special, or stop playing so that I don't have to deal with reading your comments everywhere I go.

LOVE TO ALL PW FRIENDS, FANS, AND FAMILY!
    Aceacles.

That's why people complain, it's because they haven't given up on the game. You don't have to read people's complaints if you can't deal with it.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • BadDesires - Harshlands
    BadDesires - Harshlands Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I used to grind and quest, till I took an arrow to the knee... b:laugh
    I used to play PWI until I took an arrow to the knee.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Aceacles on quite a few of the points. There may be some things that PWE shouldn't have done to the game, but nostalgia is making the past look more perfect than it was.

The forums has always been full of complaints, but then again, every MMORPG forum I've been to are full of complaints, QQ, and "this game is dead" etc etc. People tend to be silent when they are happy, and speak to as many ppl as they can when they're not. But it does get annoying when people find opportunity to complain about this and that in almost every thread.

People always work their a$$ off trying to get the newest, shiniest uber gear, but better cheaper gear will always come out as time goes by. That's a given in online games. Kinda like how real life is like with plasma TVs.

People take a lot of things for granted, like the ability to trade in-game coin into cash shop gold. Not very many F2P MMORPGs allow you to do that. Heck, when I found Perfect World, it was the only F2P game I know that had this option back then. As for selling OP gear in the cash shop, there had been quite a few instances where I've been sadly disappointed, and PW cash shop isn't nearly as good about it as it was years ago, but it's still leagues above quite a few other F2P MMOs out there.

I remember when levels 60+ was mostly chatting with guildies while sitting on our aerogears waiting for our World Quests to be done. Everyone found it boring and tedious, but everyone kept doing it every day because leveling was painfully slow and grindy without it. Other than World Quest it was just some kind of grinding, whether it be zhenning, fishing, or butterflies. And whenever someone had an FB to do everyone jumped on it because exp, rep, and something-different-to-do was all pretty hard to come by in the higher levels.

I too, enjoy having all the mobs and mats to myself on the near-empty map. Back then competition for mats was fierce...and ugly. Some people seem to think the world revolves around them and everyone can read their minds. Some days you're just running along collecting mats and suddenly some kid that was killing some mobs 10 feet away is mouthing off to you for "stealing their mats". But then there were also the nice people who said "sorry" when the two of you were going for the same mat and they get there first. And some clerics even buff you after. Perhaps it's just those things in the game back then that forces you to interact with strangers that people miss the most. I miss it sometimes too. But there are things that I like better now than before. You win some and you lose some I guess.
  • Xyleena - Heavens Tear
    Xyleena - Heavens Tear Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    The fact PWE made options that vastly outgun traditional methods of leveling, purely for income, available i would say puts them more to blame then the player base. Sure everyone COULD go back to how it was, but then them who don't decide to and use methods such as x12 exp FC would gain a huge lead over those who don't which is imbalance.

Did you know in the Chinese version, you cannot activate hypers in FCC, think about that! b:chuckle

*shrug* I do know they they can't. I like Hypers, and I liked the fact that it gave me something new to do when I was bored of doing other things. FCC I have had SOOO many memories in now.. that its hard for me to want to "go back" Because that would mean I would have missed out on a lot of things.

Perhaps I am looking at it from a different perspective... and this goes for Migures comment as well, I really and truly believe that yes there have been mistakes made on PWEs part and some things that have been made, been broken, blah blah were issues... but that doesn't take away the amazing and fun things that I have done, and gotten to do SINCE those changes as well. I met my best friend and in-game husband as a direct result of Forgotten Frostland being changed into an EXP instance. And there are other things I could list as well. For the first time ever, I was able to afford things in game I never could before packs. I'm just saying its not just the GAME changing, but the playerbase has changed. There is nothing wrong with my choice to not take up arms against PWE for the changes they introduced. I have embraced the changes and adapted my gameplay all the way back since Hercules and Nixes, and still more Genies were introduced and my in game role changed drastically as a Venomancer. Some things that I really enjoyed about the game are long gone, mostly because of changes to the game. But, I then found other more fun things as a result of having to change. I remember when BH came out.. and everyone complained about how it was going to make people not great players... BH was one of the best things that ever happened.. it gave people another reason to go into FB instances and work together as a team... Sure it killed off some things in game that were done before it, but I still have many screenshots and fond memories of FB/BH 69 failures, mishaps, and epic adventures.

Things aren't waht they were, but its not all bad and I think on a large scale its good. Things aren't meant to stay the same. The only thing that never changes is the fact that everything changes, in games, in life, and pretty much anything else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Characters:
    Xyleena | 102 Demon Cleric | Radiance Faction : Main
    Gwendolynne | 101 Sage Venomancer | Heavens Tear
    Delecroix | 101 Demon Assassin | Heavens Tear
    Anatoxin | 8x Future Sage Psychic | Heavens Tear
    Diva | 92 Sage Blademaster | Dreamweaver : Retired