"OBO" does NOT mean "Or BETTER Offer", Kthx.

Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
This fail needs to stop.

Lets try something.

If someone is selling something on WC, and they put an 'OBO' on it, and they give a fail reply at a lower reply saying 'OBO means better', we need to start telling these fail idiots that OBO means 'best' reply, and that they should either accept the 'best' offer they get, or to find a new acronym.
101 Sage Sin*/Archer
100 Demon BM*/Barb
96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
95 Demon Wiz/
94 Sage Veno
85 Psy/80 Mystic
And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
*Pre RB level
Post edited by Sarrafeline - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    This fail needs to stop.

Lets try something.

If someone is selling something on WC, and they put an 'OBO' on it, and they give a fail reply at a lower reply saying 'OBO means better', we need to start telling these fail idiots that OBO means 'best' reply, and that they should either accept the 'best' offer they get, or to find a new acronym.

I shall now start the OBOGTFO club.

First member 200k for ○Fist Weapon Mastery

obviously bad offer get the *** out.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    This fail needs to stop.

Lets try something.

I am facerolling my keyboard in my sincere approval of this post. Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited October 2011
    Don't we have enough threads on this subject cluttering up the forums?

Instead of starting a new thread on the same subject, look down 5 lines and post in the existing thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    WTB 10 10* orbs (Yes im hinting that i want a 20gold 10* sale tomorrow) 2mil each :O
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    This fail needs to stop.

Lets try something.

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OBO
    OBO means or best offer, especially in the context of selling something.

some idiot on pwi mis-interprets an acronym the rest of the world uses and that permanently changes the definition? no

OBO = or best offer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Skulla - Dreamweaver
    Skulla - Dreamweaver Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Well done Sarrafeline.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    ''Oh, it seems this guy wants 45 million for a lunar weapon insignia, but I'm in a good mood today so I'll offer him 55!''

Seriously now, there's no sense in asking for ''better offers'' when you already stated the price you are willing to sell it for. Higher offers only happen when you're auctioning off an item on WC and then you use C/O, current offer.

This is only one out of many reasons why WC is a bad place to sell/buy items, though...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wintermelon - Harshlands
    Wintermelon - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    This fail needs to stop.

Lets try something.

+1. This post needs to be stickied!
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    One would assume that "OBO" goes both ways. You could have almost no one offer for the item and have to settle, or you could have so many people clamoring to get it that the "best offer" is naturally higher. The latter doesn't usually happen, though, because to say that 99% of WC traders "aim high" would be the understatement of the century. XD

Personally, my pet peeve is the "no reply = no ty" people. I can sort of understand it if you have a massively in-demand item (SoT, for instance) and are expecting fifty PMs. But more often I see people selling things that maybe only one or two people would want, with this line. Sorry, your random piece of fashion that you conveniently failed to put a price on is not going to attract fifty buyers. Not replying to someone just because you don't like their offer is just rude. If someone bids ridiculously low and it's clear you'll never find a common ground, I at least say "sorry, I doubt we're going to reach an agreement on this." Any reply is better than none. That's common courtesy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Personally, my pet peeve is the "no reply = no ty" people. I can sort of understand it if you have a massively in-demand item (SoT, for instance) and are expecting fifty PMs. But more often I see people selling things that maybe only one or two people would want, with this line. Sorry, your random piece of fashion that you conveniently failed to put a price on is not going to attract fifty buyers. Not replying to someone just because you don't like their offer is just rude. If someone bids ridiculously low and it's clear you'll never find a common ground, I at least say "sorry, I doubt we're going to reach an agreement on this." Any reply is better than none. That's common courtesy.

I have to say, I both agree and disagree with this in a way. Yes, in polite society, it's only polite to give a response to everyone. However, PWI is not polite society by any means. I've taken to the "No reply = No thanks" method simply because I know if I do reply to someone, the odds of them going on some long rant about how I don't know the price of my own item and I'm such a "nab"(Whatever in the hell that's supposed to be.) is about 90%. While I feel bad for this unlikely 10% who would kindly respond with "Okay, thanks anyway." I don't feel bad enough to deal with the other 90%.
    edited October 2011
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I'm afraid Firefox agrees with me, people on the internet need to stop making up stupid new words. Having a keyboard does not make them Dr. Seuss.
  • X\_Tegus_/X - Harshlands
    X\_Tegus_/X - Harshlands Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    And then u got sellers advertising fake bids in WC for ppl to outbid their fake bid and then they just withdraw the whole thing when u shoulda won the auction cause they werent satisfied with the highest offer which in alot of cases r reasonable prices. This is y WC bidding is stupid.
  • NiightmareXz - Harshlands
    NiightmareXz - Harshlands Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    "OBO" sets a price ceiling, any idiot who thinks you're gonna pay more than what they originally state in WC needs their head examined. If you want to raise the price as a seller, use "current offer is 10mil pm price", not "obo".

"hmm this guy is selling a d orb for 10 mil, but i have an extra 2mil, so i'll offer 12mil for it." uhhh no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ˙buoɹʇs ǝq ןן,ı ʇɐɥʇ ɟןǝsʎɯ ןןǝʇ ı os
  • breeeezy87
    breeeezy87 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    This fail needs to stop.

Lets try something.

Can't even tell you how many times this has happened to me, i've wc'd about it before. The player base as a majority in this game is less intelligent than any other mmo i've played.
    edited October 2011
    I'm afraid Firefox agrees with me, people on the internet need to stop making up stupid new words. Having a keyboard does not make them Dr. Seuss.

fixed the linkb:chuckle

Edit: in my original link, not your link to your photo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kaitica - Heavens Tear
    Kaitica - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OBO
    OBO means or best offer, especially in the context of selling something.

some idiot on pwi mis-interprets an acronym the rest of the world uses and that permanently changes the definition? no

OBO = or best offer

urbandictionary is just way more fun.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=obo
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    OBO os just being used in the wrong way.

"10mil or best offer". If you don't get an offer of 10mil, and instead get an offer of 9.5mil, you imply you will take that since it is the best offer you have gotten.

Stating 10mil is the min you will go and to bid up from there is how it should be done. Using 'OBO' is like asking to be bid downwards instead of upwards.
    I'll PM these people ridiculous low amounts too, asking if thats the best offer they got and if I can have it, since that's what their WC implied.
  • DryadLaFey - Sanctuary
    DryadLaFey - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    this Fail Needs To Stop.

Lets Try Something.

If Someone Is Selling Something On Wc, And They Put An 'obo' On It, And They Give A Fail Reply At A Lower Reply Saying 'obo Means Better', We Need To Start Telling These Fail Idiots That Obo Means 'best' Reply, And That They Should Either Accept The 'best' Offer They Get, Or To Find A New Acronym.

Thank You!!
    b:cute
  • DryadLaFey - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    breeeezy87 wrote: »
    Can't even tell you how many times this has happened to me, i've wc'd about it before. The player base as a majority in this game is less intelligent than any other mmo i've played.

Agreed
  • Lienna - Momaganon
    Lienna - Momaganon Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    one Would Assume That "obo" Goes Both Ways. You Could Have Almost No One Offer For The Item And Have To Settle, Or You Could Have So Many People Clamoring To Get It That The "best Offer" Is Naturally Higher. The Latter Doesn't Usually Happen, Though, Because To Say That 99% Of Wc Traders "aim High" Would Be The Understatement Of The Century. Xd

Personally, My Pet Peeve Is The "no Reply = No Ty" People. I Can Sort Of Understand It If You Have A Massively In-demand Item (sot, For Instance) And Are Expecting Fifty Pms. But More Often I See People Selling Things That maybe Only One Or Two People Would Want, With This Line. Sorry, Your Random Piece Of Fashion That You Conveniently Failed To Put A Price On Is Not Going To Attract Fifty Buyers. Not Replying To Someone Just Because You Don't Like Their Offer Is Just Rude. If Someone Bids Ridiculously Low And It's Clear You'll Never Find A Common Ground, I At Least Say "sorry, I Doubt We're Going To Reach An Agreement On This." Any Reply Is Better Than None. That's Common Courtesy.

+1000
  • TwinDreams - Harshlands
    TwinDreams - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I really dont see why people can ever think of OBO as the price floor. And worse is these people call respond u with all sorts of vulgarities when you try to tell them what OBO actually means.

And really EVEN IF u want to think of it as the price floor, it still doesnt make sense:

WTS xxx for 10mil
    WTS xxx for 10mil OBO

If someone offer 12mil, u will take 12mil over 10mil, either way with or without OBO makes no difference, which makes ur OBO redundant and wasting tele space.

OBO is the price ceiling, or is like auctioning with the quoted price as the buy now price. WHy cant people just get this thing into their heads. Urgh!
  • DryadLaFey - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    I have to say, I both agree and disagree with this in a way. Yes, in polite society, it's only polite to give a response to everyone. However, PWI is not polite society by any means. I've taken to the "No reply = No thanks" method simply because I know if I do reply to someone, the odds of them going on some long rant about how I don't know the price of my own item and I'm such a "nab"(Whatever in the hell that's supposed to be.) is about 90%. While I feel bad for this unlikely 10% who would kindly respond with "Okay, thanks anyway." I don't feel bad enough to deal with the other 90%.

The players in this game just don't seem to understand the art of haggling. Say you have an item you like to get 10 mil for but you'll settle for 9 mil. You Start with 12 mil, someone offers 6mil (they're really willing to pay 10m but they want to see if they can get it cheaper).

Now, you could say "too low, no reply= no ty" and then not reply to that 6 mil because it's much lower than what you wanted. Then you might lose out on the opportunity to sell it now off of just one or two teles as opposed to next week after spending 50 teles over the last week trying to sell it.

OR

You could reply with "no but I would take 11mil" to which the person returns, "how about 8 mil?" to which you reply "9.5 mil". They may reply with 9m trying to get it just a little more lower that 10m or they might say ok since 9.5 is still lower than what they were willing to pay in the end.

This is especially valuable when someone doesn't even bother putting a starting price on the item they want to sell. Hello, how am I suppose to know what price you want if you don't at least respond to my offer once.
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    You get idiots who don`t know meaning of acronyms to include them in the sentence if they sell something just because they saw someone else doing it, usually it`s those people who use offert not offer or other words which degrade the English language!
  • TwinDreams - Harshlands
    TwinDreams - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2011

Unless the offer given is absolutely ridiculous, otherwise you should at least spend 1sec to type "nty", so that you dont have to have that guy waiting for your reply. Some sellers take time to consider the price given by asking around, price checking, comparing other offers etc, so buyers usually wait until they get a response. They may postpone other things they need to do because of this.

Neither would u like situation where buyers quote a price, while u took 20sec to think, he treat it as "no response = nty" and move on to his FC, and when you come back to tell him u accepted his offer, he's alrdy inside FC.

Not giving a response simply because you dont like his offer is being really inconsiderate.

If he intend to rant on after ur nty, then I think ignoring him would be the right thing, at least a reply is given, which he should know either to quote a higher offer or get it over with.
  • breeeezy87
    edited October 2011
    People trying to justify this lack real world common sense and are the exact failures this post implies. The term "Or best offer" has been around forever, you'll find it all kinds of real world adds, ex. news paper classified adds, auto sales books, craigslist, kijiji. If there is a given price say, $20 OBO, the $20 is the buy now price, the price in which the seller hopes to receive. If someone were to offer $20 it's simple, they sell the item for $20. $20 is the buyout by definition of the term, once a buyout price is set OBO doesn't go both ways, don't even try to argue that it does.
  • toxicchemicals
    toxicchemicals Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    ._.? so your raging over a acronym. And you do know most players do not use the forums right?
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    This is one of the few things I don't like about the game :>

Originally I learned what OBO meant from a guildie as I joined on the Lost City server, before that I had no actual clue what it meant as I hadn't bothered to ask nor did I google it or go look at a local newspaper ad's. When I understood that it meant "Or Best Offer" I found that using it actually benefited me when I had no real idea what the price was worth. So I would normally put "WTS> [insert item link] PM ME" and once I had a general idea of the range of prices I would put a second tele out for "WTS> [insert item link] 5 mil OBO!" at this point I knew that 5 mil would be the best offer, but I would have to do a bidding war or expect to come down to a lower price.

Though that is usually the case, there are some instances where I have found people will mistake, or not even read the OBO, and just assume that is the starting price so i'll get a pm like "8 mil!" and at that point is when I decide to turn it into a bidding war, or auction, instead of a simple sell off. Just to see if I can get a surpising price on an item that isn't worth that much.

But to kinda shorten this down:

OBO is "Or Best Offer", which means that the price you put before it (5, 10, 15, etc. mil) is the ceiling price. Which you don't expect it to go over.
    To anybody who is assuming otherwise, well I am sorry but you have just failed at using an acronym.
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • breeeezy87
    edited October 2011
    You get idiots who don`t know meaning of acronyms to include them in the sentence if they sell something just because they saw someone else doing it, usually it`s those people who use offert not offer or other words which degrade the English language!

Offert is the latin and french (along with a couple other european dialects with close translation) term for offer, this is why you see latin americans and some europeans using this term. It's not because they see others using it, people with english as their first language don't use offert opposed to offer simply because they've seen it before.
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Here's one:

BTW Cube neck PM offer!

Uhhh you are buying a cube neck... I offer... a cube neck? WTS "pm price".