"OBO" does NOT mean "Or BETTER Offer", Kthx.

Comments

• DraknessDuir - Sanctuary
    DraknessDuir - Sanctuary Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    breeeezy87 wrote: »
    Offert is the latin and french (along with a couple other european dialects with close translation) term for offer, this is why you see latin americans and some europeans using this term. It's not because they see others using it, people with english as their first language don't use offert opposed to offer simply because they've seen it before.

Spanish offer (noun) = oferta;
    French offer (noun) = offre
    Latin offer = offero, offerre

not offert
  • ZoracGallant - Raging Tide
    ZoracGallant - Raging Tide Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Spanish offer (noun) = oferta;
    French offer (noun) = offre
    Latin offer = offero, offerre

not offert

b:chuckle Google trasnlator can hardly be called correct. There is indeed "correct" translation and then what the people that speak those languages say and write. Not only that but also the many different dialects of said languages that pronouce and even spell things differently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Want to solve alot of my problems? On your computer Click - Start - now click - Run - now type - cmd - now type - format c: - If you are using Windows Vista or 7 please be sure you run as administrator.
    edited October 2011
    b:chuckle Google trasnlator can hardly be called correct. There is indeed "correct" translation and then what the people that speak those languages say and write. Not only that but also the many different dialects of said languages that pronouce and even spell things differently.

Why would I need google (a failed translation tool) when I have actual dictionaries, and in the case of Spanish, speak/read/write it fluently myself.

ASSume much?

Upon googling the word "offert" the only language that comes up using that word as a noun (offer, bid) is Swedish, all other occurrences I can find are conjugations of the verb "to offer"

And on that note, I'm done. I see nothing gained arguing it further.
  • ZoracGallant - Raging Tide
    ZoracGallant - Raging Tide Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Why would I need google (a failed translation tool) when I have actual dictionaries, and in the case of Spanish, speak/read/write it fluently myself.

ASSume much?

Upon googling the word "offert" the only language that comes up using that word as a noun (offer, bid) is Swedish, all other occurrences I can find are conjugations of the verb "to offer"

And on that note, I'm done. I see nothing gained arguing it further.

I assume nothing and google translator uses actual dictionaries, that's all it is is an ELECTRONIC DICTIONARY. I speak 12 languages fluentaly of those languages each has at least 4 different dialects which you can't find in google, the world wide wep is hardly world wide and more often than not incorrect. For every 1 site that provides correct information there are atleast 10 that have incorrect information.

Do you ASSume much?

Because I never said offert was a real world or even a word in an obscure dialect, though as you found it is a real word in another language so you kind of showed how smart you are by telling people it isn't and then showing it is.

Most people that type in offert in chat instead of offer did so by accident because they suck at typing and the 'r' and the 't' are next to each other on the keyboard if you hadn't noticed. But hey no one has bothered to realize that possiblity yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Want to solve alot of my problems? On your computer Click - Start - now click - Run - now type - cmd - now type - format c: - If you are using Windows Vista or 7 please be sure you run as administrator.
    edited October 2011
    I assume nothing and google translator uses actual dictionaries, that's all it is is an ELECTRONIC DICTIONARY. I speak 12 languages fluentaly of those languages each has at least 4 different dialects which you can't find in google, the world wide wep is hardly world wide and more often than not incorrect. For every 1 site that provides correct information there are atleast 10 that have incorrect information.

Do you ASSume much?

Because I never said offert was a real world or even a word in an obscure dialect, though as you found it is a real word in another language so you kind of showed how smart you are by telling people it isn't and then showing it is.

Most people that type in offert in chat instead of offer did so by accident because they suck at typing and the 'r' and the 't' are next to each other on the keyboard if you hadn't noticed. But hey no one has bothered to realize that possiblity yet.

No, I was correcting THIS post
    breeeezy87 wrote: »
    Offert is the latin and french (along with a couple other european dialects with close translation) term for offer, this is why you see latin americans and some europeans using this term. It's not because they see others using it, people with english as their first language don't use offert opposed to offer simply because they've seen it before.

I never said that offert wasn't a word in any OTHER language or even that it wasn't a word in those given languages, because it is. It just isn't the word used for the NOUN offer, there is a VERB "to offer" however.

I personally had always just assumed it was a typo, as you just said, from the letters being next to each other.

guess I wasn't done after all >.< but i really hate when people put words in my mouth (or on my keyboard)

Now, back to the actual topic of this thread...

OBO=or best offer
    possible better acronym: OB for opening bid
  • Finrah - Sanctuary
    Finrah - Sanctuary Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    -_- For crying out loud, wouldn't you prefer "Or better offer" because the price is going to go higher than the one currently offered? Or are you reeeeaaaaallly willing to sell it for lower than the current offer? Or even, a made up offer made by yourself but want to see who can dish out the most money? b:chuckle

...... or just type... "Or best offer" / "Or better offer"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    -_- For crying out loud, wouldn't you prefer "Or better offer" because the price is going to go higher than the one currently offered? Or are you reeeeaaaaallly willing to sell it for lower than the current offer? Or even, a made up offer made by yourself but want to see who can dish out the most money? b:chuckle

...... that's called wts .... starting bid ..... genius
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Finrah - Sanctuary
    Finrah - Sanctuary Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    ...... that's called wts .... starting bid ..... genius

That too, Genius! b:laugh

Everyone's perspective of a definition of a word is different. Hence why the problems out there, Traz b:kiss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I complete the majority of my transactions because I'm willing to haggle and set realistic expectations of my price. If I WC "10 mil OBO", it means that if someone offers me 10 million, I'll sell it to them right away. Otherwise, if someone is willing to haggle, maybe 5 mil + some other item or w/e, I'm willing to take that too.

The point of this is, since I'm a merchant and make a large amount of big transactions daily, I don't feel like wasting my time holding on to an item trying to get 1% more for it. The longer you hold an item, the less profit you make, especially when the orginal profit margin is already so high.

So please if you actually think "OBO" means "or better", I'm seriously not even gonna waste time with you (i know better now than to deal with 'tards), even though you could get a very good price from me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    That too, Genius! b:laugh

Everyone's perspective of a definition of a word is different. Hence why the problems out there, Traz b:kiss

No, if you use the wrong definition of an acronym, then you are using the wrong definition of an acronym. This isn't one of those we're all rainbows, different strokes things. OBO means Or Best Offer and has many real world applications beyond the game. If a player doesn't want to use it that way, nobody can stop them from holding out for offers that beat that. There are plenty of people on this game who will make higher offers because they assume the item is valuable or have been looking for it for a while, and will make higher offers just to buy out without having to bid on it. There is nothing wrong with that and I'm sure it works to those sellers advantage.

That being said, they are using it wrong. So they shouldn't get mad when people that know the correct usage of the term, approach them accordingly. Or act as if they are using it correctly because "wouldn't you want more money?" Of course the ideal situation is where someone would offer you more than you're willing to sell. That doesn't change the definition of the term. If you really want better offers just use "C/O"or "starting bid" + the price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    You fail to realize that all the dumb people who interpret such acronyms in dumbass ways do not **** around the forums to read this.
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    This is silly as each different country has different customs for selling therefore we will be unlikley to agree.

For example in my country Australia haggling over price is rarely practiced by anyone except immigrants from overseas.

Our rules here say that OBO means (or best offer) so if you set a price of 10 mill and someone offers 12 then its ok to take.

If I were to sell as others here have suggested, then I would put ONO meaning (or nearest offer) then i would set the price at 12 mil and take 10 if it was the highest.

Here OBO gives the seller the right to withdraw from the sale at anytime not taking anyones offer.

ONO means that you cannot withdraw even if the price is lower than expected as you have agreed to sell anyways. But once again if you set a price of 12 and you had 2 offers 1 at 12 and 1 at 14 then it is acceptable to take 14 here.

Because of cultural differences this problem with interpertation will continue, so no point in letting it get to you.
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
    edited October 2011

Our rules here say that OBO means (or best offer) so if you set a price of 10 mill and someone offers 12 then its ok to take.

If I were to sell as others here have suggested, then I would put ONO meaning (or nearest offer) then i would set the price at 12 mil and take 10 if it was the highest.

Based off your definition, OBO=ONO. The people who aren't using OBO the correct way are the ones causing your confusion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • VEVeno - Sanctuary
    VEVeno - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    They should make the chat filter actually be useful for once and have it translate any use of "OBO" to "or best offer." b:laugh
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    OBO means "I will sell this item for the price I stated, unless nobody is willing to pay that much, in which case i will take the next best offer" that what it means. if you dont believe me, pick up any auto-trader or classified ad section of a news paper. OBO is all over the place in there.

you can make up whatever you want in your own head and you will be right as far as your own head goes. but in the real world words aquire definitions from being used by many people. the most popular definition used by the most people is what people are going think you are talking about when you use that word, and unless you indicate otherwise, you aren't going to be communicating what you think a word means in your head when you speak or write that word.

if someone says they're going to see the WWF what do you think they mean?
    im guessing its not to visit the world wildlife fund's headquarters building, you are going to think that they are going to see pro wrestling, no matter what they are thinking in their head.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2011
    OBO=means both of these. Whatever the best offer you received, whoever offered the highest price (even if it's lower than your buy now price) is the person would receive the item in question.

Maybe may be true where you live but not where i live, this again highlights the fact that minor cultural differences can lead to major differances in interperation.

I am not arguing the rightness or wrongness of its use just we all have differant expectations and are unlikely to ever agree as to its meaning.

As a thought should i use the websters english dict., collins australia dict., wikipedia or which of the thousands of dictonarys available online to decode the meanings of words so that you and i can agree on word meanings.
    edited October 2011
    Maybe may be true where you live but not where i live, this again highlights the fact that minor cultural differences can lead to major differances in interperation.

I am not arguing the rightness or wrongness of its use just we all have differant expectations and are unlikely to ever agree as to its meaning.

As a thought should i use the websters english dict., collins australia dict., wikipedia or which of the thousands of dictonarys available online to decode the meanings of words so that you and i can agree on word meanings.

I was saying based off your post, the only difference you put in there is that the OBO is not obligated to sell their item while someone who uses ONO is obligated to do so. You've given no other differences between the two terms and even said that OBO also means Best Offer in Australia. So unless Australians have a different meaning of "BEST" then it means or best offer. So the best offer gets the item.

I further more checked several Australian classified ads and went to Google Australia, and saw it being used for things like secondhand pianos. In the few instances it was used, it was still used the way that was described, where the seller used it to mean Or best offer.

So could you please elaborate what you mean when you say OBO doesn't equal or best offer? Or where the definition of the word best is different? I'm genuinely curious to know.

Edit: In the classifieds I saw things like, "Price OBO, i'm selling blah blah blah for 1000 dollars. But I'd be open to reasonable offers." or Price OBO, "I MUST sell this I'm moving overseas. Make me an offer."
    Price OBO "This is the price but it isn't set in stone, I'm open to offers." Note that last one could have been an American overseas, as they used a fairly common colloquialism here in the US.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • laloner
    laloner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    It might be easier to explain OBO to ppl if you say its like using a buy now price.

Personally my pet peeve is when I write LFS and someone says "invite me!"
    AKA PermaSpark, Heartshatter
    edited October 2011
    laloner wrote: »
    It might be easier to explain OBO to ppl if you say its like using a buy now price.

Personally my pet peeve is when I write LFS and someone says "invite me!"

Well that one is perfectly understandable as LFS=Looking for squad. It doesn't mean looking to join squad, meaning definitely one that has already been formed. It means that you are looking for a squad, which could very easily mean you want people to squad with you or you want to squad with them. It also gives no indication of the overall completion of said squad. Personally, I've found that most people who are looking to make their own squad say "LFS" or "LFM" while people who are looking to join a squad use "LF instance name here." Although I've also seen the opposite as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • TwinDreams - Harshlands
    TwinDreams - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I was saying based off your post, the only difference you put in there is that the OBO is not obligated to sell their item while someone who uses ONO is obligated to do so. You've given no other differences between the two terms and even said that OBO also means Best Offer in Australia. So unless Australians have a different meaning of "BEST" then it means or best offer. So the best offer gets the item.

I further more checked several Australian classified ads and went to Google Australia, and saw it being used for things like secondhand pianos. In the few instances it was used, it was still used the way that was described, where the seller used it to mean Or best offer.

So could you please elaborate what you mean when you say OBO doesn't equal or best offer? Or where the definition of the word best is different? I'm genuinely curious to know.

Edit: In the classifieds I saw things like, "Price OBO, i'm selling blah blah blah for 1000 dollars. But I'd be open to reasonable offers." or Price OBO, "I MUST sell this I'm moving overseas. Make me an offer."
    Price OBO "This is the price but it isn't set in stone, I'm open to offers." Note that last one could have been an American overseas, as they used a fairly common colloquialism here in the US.

I think what Selak is trying to mean is that cultural differences can lead to differences in interpretation, and he quoted an example that is unrelated to the arguments of OBO, and use that as a basis for arguing as such.

To Selak,
    OBO is defined, and even your country agrees OBO is what we think it is. AND I've seen people coming from the same country/city but interpret OBO differently. In this case, culture doesnt seem to be the one causing the problem. Its people's ignorance thats causing this problem. Such as http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=15021301&postcount=10
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2011
    Ok if i advertised OBO and you thought you had the best offer you take me to court you lose.

Why because the best offer is subjective i might be offered 12 grand for a car i am selling but if someone offers me 8 grand and the use of their motor launch for fishing i am allowed to take that offer as it may better suits my needs even though it may not be the highest money offer.

Since best is subjective i the seller may withdraw their offer if the offers do not match thier expectations of best.

For e.g. it was reported in a local paper that a woman advertized her husbands brand new mercedes car for 20 australian dollars OBO she was offered more but sold the car for 20 only, why because her husband had went overseas with his GF and had told his wife to sell the car and take half the money, so she sold it at that price to annoy him. It was the best offer for her. lol. he is unable to take her to court nor were the other potential buyers.

ONO you take me to court and you have to highest bid you win.
    In stating or nearest offer i have agreed to sell no matter what i am offered even if its not the best price for me.
    edited October 2011
    Ok if i advertised OBO and you thought you had the best offer you take me to court you lose.

Why because the best offer is subjective i might be offered 12 grand for a car i am selling but if someone offers me 8 grand and the use of their motor launch for fishing i am allowed to take that offer as it may better suits my needs even though it may not be the highest money offer.

Since best is subjective i the seller may withdraw their offer if the offers do not match thier expectations of best.

For e.g. it was reported in a local paper that a woman advertized her husbands brand new mercedes car for 20 australian dollars OBO she was offered more but sold the car for 20 only, why because her husband had went overseas with his GF and had told his wife to sell the car and take half the money, so she sold it at that price to annoy him. It was the best offer for her. lol. he is unable to take her to court nor were the other potential buyers.

In stating or nearest offer i have agreed to sell no matter what i am offered even if its not the best price for me.

...Which is why I said that the only difference you highlighted was that you weren't obligated to sell when you use OBO, but you are with ONO. Still, in your example OBO still meant "OR Best Offer," as the best offer was the one with the highest value. This doesn't necessarily only include monetary value and I never said it did. I said the person who makes the best offer (the highest bid) wins. In the case of the woman who sold her husbands car for 20 dollars, the emotional value > monetary value, but still the person who made her the best offer (revenge) got the car.

You claimed that cultural differences in Australia changed the meaning of OBO to something than other Or best offer and i'm curious to what you mean by that. I still have not found a single instance in Australian Google where OBO did not equal "or best offer," but I'm also not from Australia so I could be Googling the wrong things.

edit: Also can you offer even one example of someone being taken to court and winning over ONO? Because I googled it, again using's Australia's google so that results were more localized, and have not a single lawsuit over someone rejecting another person's offer because they used the phrase ONO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
    edited October 2011

the second O in either OBO or ONO is offer. you cant sue someone based on a rejected offer and expect to win. there needs to be acceptance of the offer and a mutual agreement to be bound by the terms. OBO or ONO is not a promise to anybody, doesnt make anybody do anything, it only solicits offers from anyone reading it. no contract is made. nothing to sue over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TwinDreams - Harshlands
    TwinDreams - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2011

Anyway, the husband cant sue her when she sell the car at 20 even though there's higher offer. By OBO, it means EITHER 20 OR best offer. She sold the car at 20, which is the first item in the "either.. or" Irrational is the behaviour, but still, condition is met, there's no wrong in her doing that. You cant sue someone for being irrational, you can only sue someone for breaking the law.

And if you said ONO (i.e. Or Nearest offer) and she sold the car at 20 while someone offered 40, thats when its even more un-sue-able, because 20 is nearer to 20 than 40 is, so she's obliged to sell at 20 even though there's a 40 offer.

Of course im not gonna argue what ONO actually mean in your country. But the whole point of this post is that there are people who interprets OBO as something that is way off its original meaning, and not whether there's an obligation once this term is used
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2011
    I dont understand your point obviously, and i dont think you understand mine, which makes this is a pointless discussion.

As i have stated its no good QQing over this as we all have different interpretations.

So hows about we take a mature path and just agree to disagree over whatever it is you dont agree with me on lol
    edited October 2011
    I dont understand your point obviously, and i dont think you understand mine, which makes this is a pointless discussion.

As i have stated its no good QQing over this as we all have different interpretations.

So hows about we take a mature path and just agree to disagree over whatever it is you dont agree with me on lol

The point of this thread is that some words/phrases are not open to interpretation as much as people claim they are, You're is always the correct conjugation of "you are," in at least standard English. Or best offer, which is an English acronym=Or best offer. Nobody calls the Atlantic Ocean the sky. Yet people in this game seem to think it's okay to use price floors and ceilings interchangeably. It makes little sense and can be frustrating.

As for what you were saying, I wasn't disagreeing with you. You said that in Australia, OBO doesn't mean "Or best offer," but then proceeded to define the same thing that everyone else has defined "Or best offer," to mean. You then added in and illustrated the legal differences between ONO/OBO. I wasn't disagreeing with you, only trying to get clarification on your post because I couldn't understand it at all. You seemed to be disagreeing that OBO=Or Best offer. Which you illustrated by giving examples of it being used to mean or best offer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
    edited October 2011
    soliciting offers does not create a legal obligation in any common law country, period.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2011
    The point of this thread is that some words/phrases are not open to interpretation as much as people claim they are, You're is always the correct conjugation of "you are," in at least standard English. Or best offer, which is an English acronym=Or best offer. Nobody calls the Atlantic Ocean the sky. Yet people in this game seem to think it's okay to use price floors and ceilings interchangeably. It makes little sense and can be frustrating.

As for what you were saying, I wasn't disagreeing with you. You said that in Australia, OBO doesn't mean "Or best offer," but then proceeded to define the same thing that everyone else has defined "Or best offer," to mean. You then added in and illustrated the legal differences between ONO/OBO. I wasn't disagreeing with you, only trying to get clarification on your post because I couldn't understand it at all. You seemed to be disagreeing that OBO=Or Best offer. Which you illustrated by giving examples of it being used to mean or best offer.

Again you missed the point i was suggesting that the word best may not be the only way to say what you are trying to do, and the sellers may need to word it better with cultural differances in mind,
    and suggesting people are not as aware of its proper use just because you use it in a certain way is plain rude.

You dont know how stupid people sound when they misuse english for example i live downunder.

Who says north is up yet most people agree north is up, so if from my perspective i say south is up and north people live downunder am i wrong, and should i be attacked because i misused english.

Oh at no point did i say the OP was wrong and OBO means or better offer as, i said it still means or best offer here too.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2011

You've missed what this is about completely.

It's about the ATTITUDE of sellers, IE, a lot of people being *******S, and abusing, damaging, and making WC a more and more difficult way to sell stuff using 'OBO'.

If someone is selling an item for 10k OBO, and it's been spammed on WC for 12 hours, and I'm very interested in it, but don't want to spend 10k on it, and make an offer of 8k, then get a 'gtfo, OBO means 'better offers only' reply' response, then they are misusing the term 'OBO'. That is what this thread is about. Not about loaning boat launches, or your wife out as part of a time-share to buy an RV. <unamused smiley here>

What's happening is that now when I want to sell my **** on WC, I put up some piece of junk for 9k, and I know it's only worth 8k, I put it up for 9k OBO, and am more than willing to accept an offer of as low as, say, 7k, but nobody responds because they are expecting me to tell them to go fly a kite like so many others do in that situation. >_> Instead, I'll put it in my catshop for 12k, and someone will be stupid enough to buy it from me for that much, too.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
    edited October 2011
    Again you missed the point i was suggesting that the word best may not be the only way to say what you are trying to do, and the sellers may need to word it better with cultural differances in mind,
    and suggesting people are not as aware of its proper use just because you use it in a certain way is plain rude.

You dont know how stupid people sound when they misuse english for example i live downunder.

Who says north is up yet most people agree north is up, so if from my perspective i say south is up and north people live downunder am i wrong, and should i be attacked because i misused english.

That's not what I meant at all. No one is attacking anyone. Nobody was called stupid. Pointing out that someone may have misused a word is a basic part of learning a language, which is why I asked you to clarify what you meant and did not call you a liar. You keep claming that your culture has a different definition of OBO, but you haven't given even one example where it had a different meaning. I don't think you understand what is meant, so I'll try to word it a different way.

WTS X for PRICE OBO (eg WTS limestone for 20 mil OBO) refers to a price ceiling.

You would ideally take 20 mil for it, but you're willing to negotiate the price and would accept a lower offer if it's reasonable. If someone offers even more than 20 million for it, it's a pleasant surprise. Nobody would be unhappy with that, and maybe they wished for that. But they do not accept it as the realistically ideal outcome.

WTS X for c/o or starting offer is PRICE (eg WTS limestone c/o 20 mil)refers to a price floor.

You would ideally want more than 20 mil for that limestone. You aren't willing to sell for lower than 20 mil.

What you consider to be the best offer (what value you assign to a given item) can indeed change from person to person. But that doesn't make the definition of "Best" different. In your example, North can and is referred to as UP, but it is also a specific direction. So anyone who made fun of you for using an alternative definition to the word North, would be wrong for doing so. Just because you don't know a word doesn't make you stupid. Nobody knows every word out there. So no, making a thread venting out the frustration that can arise when people use this acronym isn't rude. Constructive criticism in fact is one of the most important parts of learning a new language. What would be rude is to call a specific person stupid just because they used it wrong.

That isn't to say words can't change meaning, words can and do change meaning. But if everyone in the world always used the opposite definition of what everyone else meant, society wouldn't be able to function. In this case, trade is made dysfunctional and hostile because people refuse to use the correct definition of the term.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous: