r9 wiz question

Options
EatMyMAGina - Harshlands
EatMyMAGina - Harshlands Posts: 40 Arc User
edited October 2011 in Wizard
i'm pretty much using my sin to farm r9 for my wizzie and i was just wondering...

AFTER i get my 300k rep, r9 ring, blah blah blah...should i get the 4 pieces of armor (top/pants/boots/wrist) and belt? while keeping the r8 weapon for a later project?

or...

should i get the weap right off the bat and then work my way for the rest of it.

The way i see it, 4 pieces of r9 maybe with a belt is slightly more than r9 weapon itself. and with a decent +5 refined r8 or better weapon, the bonuses would do well rather than the weapon only first.

iunno i'm just thinking from my point of view so....yeah gogogo! b:thanks
Post edited by EatMyMAGina - Harshlands on

Comments

• Wizzie - Raging Tide
    Wizzie - Raging Tide Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I've been having the same problem, and I decided that any way is the best, depends on what you want. If you are fighting r9 players mostly, you should get armor. If you can already survive enough, you should get the weapon. Anyway, if you get the armor, you will get a lot more survability, and if you get the weapon you will get a bit more damage and channeling.

http://pwcalc.com/0d495b27408cf1a1 <-- Ring + weapon (average gear)
    http://pwcalc.com/ceb83a5d4b29e948 <-- Ring + armor pieces (average gear)

In the end, I choosed to do it depending on who I'm fighting(ex: I'm not in the best faction on my server, I'm not fighting the biggest factions, so I'd take the weapon first, until i get enough money for the rest, because I can already survive enough)

I hope this will be useful.

Wizzie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kokki - Harshlands
    Kokki - Harshlands Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    It depends if you do more open world PvP or TW.

IMHO i would go weapon if you do more TW, and armour if you do more open world PvP.
    I'm famous! i'm on ecatomb
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I've been having the same problem, and I decided that any way is the best, depends on what you want. If you are fighting r9 players mostly, you should get armor. If you can already survive enough, you should get the weapon. Anyway, if you get the armor, you will get a lot more survability, and if you get the weapon you will get a bit more damage and channeling.

http://pwcalc.com/0d495b27408cf1a1 <-- Ring + weapon (average gear)
    http://pwcalc.com/ceb83a5d4b29e948 <-- Ring + armor pieces (average gear)

In the end, I choosed to do it depending on who I'm fighting(ex: I'm not in the best faction on my server, I'm not fighting the biggest factions, so I'd take the weapon first, until i get enough money for the rest, because I can already survive enough)

I hope this will be useful.

Wizzie

nice patk stone in sword

if you're like me, and your opinion is that killing fast is half of a mages survival, you'd stick to just having the weapon in the end. higher cast will help you kill faster, which increases your survivability, and that's something r9 armour doesn't offer
  • FoosYu - Harshlands
    FoosYu - Harshlands Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Lol yeah nice garnet gem :P but I think we all get the point.

From the 2 calculators you showed us, it seems like the Dmg is about the same, slightly off a bit but there's more survivability with getting 4 armors and what not.

By the way, I guess I'm focusing on both Tw AND world Pvp. To me it sort of seems similar in basic terms though.

I'm sort of liking the idea of armors first and then the weapon but...we shall see :)

Thanks for the input so far everyone! Hope to see more :D
  • Kokki - Harshlands
    Kokki - Harshlands Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    There is a huge difference in Open world PvP and TW for a wizard. In open world PvP you will be solo fighting people for the majority of the time, so you will to face other R9's in a 1v1 fight. Try killing Jekel or Wytche without survivability.....

In TW you can ( and should ) hide behind the meatshields, and run whenever you are on target. Thus your survivability is less of an issue because you shouldn't be hit in the first place. while this concept ofcourse counts in TW and PvP, there is still the difference that in open world PvP you are the ONLY target, so you CANNOT hide behind the meatshields.

If the only open world PvP that you are doing is group PvP....then yeah, get the weapon first

i've seen several of my r9 wizard friends go for armour first, and stick to r8 with 2 sapph gems and +10. The only trouble you will have is other full JOSD r9 people, but you can still kill them if you are skilled enough.
    I'm famous! i'm on ecatomb
  • EatMyMAGina - Harshlands
    edited October 2011
    Options
    hmmm...you do have a good point kokki. alright well i guess then your point this whole time stays valid :P
  • Wizzie - Raging Tide
    Wizzie - Raging Tide Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    prof wrote: »
    nice patk stone in sword

My bad... it wasn't intended, ofcourse.b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rivi_V - Heavens Tear
    Rivi_V - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    To Kokki

Hello, this would have nothing to do with the topic, but I had no other way to contact you privately. Would love you talk to you and if you can tell me a way we can would be appreciated. I just have a few questions about your build. b:surrender
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
  • BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur
    BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur Posts: 1,842 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    should i get the 4 pieces of armor

or...

should i get the weap right off the bat and then work my way for the rest of it.

Most people get the ring then weapon. I, as it my custom, bucked the trend and got weapon last.

I had such crappy armor, the armor made a huge difference for me. Also, for the cost of the weapon, you can basically get all 4 armor pieces which gives attack level and defense level bonuses, a good bit of crit, a good bit of pdef, and with g16 refines, a nice boost to hp. And I did that while carrying TT99 +10. You'd be in a better position with your rank 8 than I was.

So, to my mind, depending on what your current gear and weapon are, don't look past the option of getting the armor first. Rank 8 is a really strong weapon, and you would be able to start getting the armor pieces in place 4-5x faster than the time it would take you to get the weapon

85 GST (425m at least)
    +5 medals (100m at least)
    525m

vs

14 gst (70m)
    2 Medals (40m)
    110m x 4 (chest/pants/boots/wrists) 440m

Leaves you 85m to shard and refine your armor if you keep your rank 8, which will get a little bit of a boost from the set bonuses and presumably higher crit rate from rank 9 armor.

If you can't kill well enough with your rank 8 now, I'd go for the armor first. If, on the other hand, you 1 shot noone in tw and barely dent the well geared players on your server, you will probably want to get the weapon first.
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Rivi_V share your idea/suggestion/whatever on this forum post cause i think we would all want to know what it is now that you left the idea out there :P

BLOODMYSTIC i agree with you especially from reading the calcs that Wizzie was giving, it's pretty much really close but there's a huge difference in survivability. r8 weapon or maybe even tt99 weapon wouldn't be so bad cause it's already plenty of damage, even on strong r9s.

guys keep going with this info output, i like! b:victory

i liked the idea from Wizzie though for a garnet gem b:laugh
  • Rivi_V - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Rivi_V share your idea/suggestion/whatever on this forum post cause i think we would all want to know what it is now that you left the idea out there :P
    ok, but when ever I ask for a question I get pushed over by trolls or just nasty people b:surrender . I looked at his build he was going for and I though I would try just changing rings. http://pwcalc.com/6ffe3bbd853901d5 All I did was changed the rings. Would like some opinion on that.

And while Im here, I would like some advice of what I should have at lv100. This is what I was given http://pwcalc.com/dff6bafead4f3dbc or should I have http://pwcalc.com/446d842a0cb17c4c (this was what I originally intended: (http://pwcalc.com/90a898f4a99cfd4f) I have 1000 one star D.Orbs at my disposal and plan to put them to full use after Iv +4 everything with mirage celestone first. Dont know how much I can get out of with 1k D.orbs after iv +4 everything, so I left all calculations at +4.

Ps. Im going for r8 then r9.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I'd say you want lunar rings until rank 9. Then arguably you want 1 lunar and the rank 9 ring. I think that is what most people do. Some do rank 8 and rank 9 rings. It mostly depends on what your pdef is from your other gear I suppose.

I would refine that rank 8 weapon up to +6 or even +8. Even though you are getting rank 9 weapon eventually, you very well might decide to get the rank 9 armor first, in which case you will probably be using the r8 weapon a fairly long time. You will get your money's worth out of it even if you refine it a little higher.

I doubt that I would bother refining any of the armor you have that you will eventually replace with rank 9 since it seems like you have a limited budget.

I am partial to the TT90 gold wrists for the pdef and water resistance (psychics already gimped against us with stone barrier, water resistance makes that worse for them), but I must say most go for the TT99 wrists and boots. If the cost is the same for TT99 and TT90+dancing sparkle, go for dancing sparkle I guess.

Honestly, though, do you want to spend on that gear that autobinds if you are only going to replace them with R9 eventually?
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Yeah there's no point of getting tt99 when you're going rank 8/9. And I prefer the r8 and r9 ring combo over lunar rings.

Also, what gems should I be using? Cause JOSD doesn't seem super appealing until I see some numbers in defense levels being better than citrine/garnet gems
  • Rivi_V - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I have another one in works, still fiddling around but this seems better.

http://pwcalc.com/406f6be8d6121b80

Reason for trying to make best of r8 combo is because I wanted a breathing space, regroup and recoup money. I cant afford the r9 straight on because of limited budget, therefore I plan to make the best of lv100 so I can grind for more money in nirv and not suck too much in PK. Also will start making new genie/s.

Wep and cape will be the main items I will look after and refine.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I have another one in works, still fiddling around but this seems better.

http://pwcalc.com/406f6be8d6121b80

Reason for trying to make best of r8 combo is because I wanted a breathing space, regroup and recoup money. I cant afford the r9 straight on because of limited budget, therefore I plan to make the best of lv100 so I can grind for more money in nirv and not suck too much in PK. Also will start making new genie/s.

Wep and cape will be the main items I will look after and refine.

http://pwcalc.com/bd3aea5c1e2ce3b1 better build same cost easier transfer to endgame gear.

perfect shards vana aremor and PQ 3 rings are such crappy bang for your buck that its not even funny
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Rivi_V - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2011
    Options
    http://pwcalc.com/bd3aea5c1e2ce3b1 better build same cost easier transfer to endgame gear.

perfect shards vana aremor and PQ 3 rings are such crappy bang for your buck that its not even funny

With my builds, I would like if ppls only refine up to +4 lol. so I can compare one from the other.

That build is indeed cheaper and quite nice. However has less power in attack (only difference of 4 though).

This is your build back down to all +4 http://pwcalc.com/51d67c307eb69641

What about this build? my "offensive" type http://pwcalc.com/34bb5a718e6fad69
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options

I know you didn't mean to +10 a cube neck while r8 wep is +7..
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Also, what gems should I be using? Cause JOSD doesn't seem super appealing until I see some numbers in defense levels being better than citrine/garnet gems

Citrines.

I am always a big fan of citrines unless your armor is refined above maybe +6/+8, then you can think about garnets. For the money, though, your probably going to be looking at either citrines or garnets, and forgetting that vit stones, jades, etc even exist. Once you have rank 9 armor refined well enough, you might want to start thinking about half garnets, half citrines.

Of course, you can play around with the calculator every time, but like I said before - every time I used that for determining which gem I should socket next given my relatively modest gear and refines, they always came up citrines.

Some people used to also say shard so that your unbuffed hp equals your self buffed pdef. But again, prior to my getting rank 9, that method as well always told me to go citrines also.
  • Lolomgwtfbbq - Lost City
    Lolomgwtfbbq - Lost City Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i actually tested the difference between the weps and was kinda dissapointed at the dmg difference with r8+10, and r9+10, not that much of a difference in dmg seriously. You dont start seeing a jump till you get the rest of your atk lvls and +12 the wep. IMO get the armor pieces first refine those up and save for the wep. Im +12 r9 wep with +10 armor with immac cits in it atm saving for jades but there 100m each on our server. Seriously tho with the armor defense charms and faith u should be able to take ppl down with r8 wep
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i actually tested the difference between the weps and was kinda dissapointed at the dmg difference with r8+10, and r9+10, not that much of a difference in dmg seriously.

In terms of magic attack? Nope. But same with TT99 +10 vs Rank 8 +10, or Sensoid +10 vs Neon +10 if I am remembering correctly.

The difference in the weapon is not mag attack, really, its in the attack levels.

Also, compare both at +12 - has to be more of a difference there if you are planning on refining that high.

But yea, thats why I was happy with TT99 and the armor pieces for a while. Big improvement, less cost than the weapon.
    edited October 2011
    Options
    yeah so far i'm sort of liking the armours first then weapon, cause we don't need to be overkill...YET! :D
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I know you didn't mean to +10 a cube neck while r8 wep is +7..

Eh +7 kills well enough and I only wanted 1 +10 on the build would rather survive headhunt from stealth than tick a rank 9's charm slightly faster.+7 rank 8 and +10 rank 8 both take 2 spark skills or genie spark to actualy kill decently geared melees or rankers. Plus most mages will swap out at least the weapon for a rank 9 or g 15 vana at endgame (at least on my server) so a +10 on the rank 8 is a waste of 120 mill imo >.<. Plus the neck is useable on every other char on that account.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Eh +7 kills well enough and I only wanted 1 +10 on the build would rather survive headhunt from stealth than tick a rank 9's charm slightly faster.+7 rank 8 and +10 rank 8 both take 2 spark skills or genie spark to actualy kill decently geared melees or rankers. Plus most mages will swap out at least the weapon for a rank 9 or g 15 vana at endgame (at least on my server) so a +10 on the rank 8 is a waste of 120 mill imo >.<. Plus the neck is useable on every other char on that account.

If you were planning to upgrade immediately, you could leave the wep at +7.. but save that +8-+10 on the cube neck to work on the new wep. I'm of the opinion that you really need a MINIMUM of r8 +10 to compete in pvp nowadays.. +7 is just making life a whole lot harder for yourself.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Mooooooooo - Lost City
    Mooooooooo - Lost City Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    If you were planning to upgrade immediately, you could leave the wep at +7.. but save that +8-+10 on the cube neck to work on the new wep. I'm of the opinion that you really need a MINIMUM of r8 +10 to compete in pvp nowadays.. +7 is just making life a whole lot harder for yourself.

idk other than full josds, most people die to tt70+0
    youtube channel: youtube.com/user/chezedude
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited October 2011
    Options

Or saveing on recast cost.
    edited October 2011
    Options
    To be honest, i'm not sure i see a huge difference between r8 +7/8 and r8 +10. i know there's a difference and all but still nothing to get excited over about.

And since i'm the one that started this crazy thread, might as well update some people that i've got my 300k rep b:victory

Now to start farming the **** out of nirvana or something and get my r9 medals/tokens D:

I wish r9 wasn't so expensive, like make it SLIGHTLY cheaper
  • Rivi_V - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2011
    Options
    R8 vs R9, we all know r9 is WAAAYY better, but that is not the point I want to know. What I want to know is what would the min refine should I have on R8 it at less stant up from r9's? Is r9 really worth its cost to get? Should I skip r8 all together and go for r9? However I do not want to waist RL money on R9, I can only afford r8 and already have the rep for it.

This is what Im going for http://pwcalc.com/406f6be8d6121b80 already have the belt (Only Stage 1 but will upgrade after), both rings, cape, necklace. I have Warsong Heaven helm and want to swap for the scar, but that is what Im going to do last. Would all this be a waist? should I just resell everything and just go for r9?
    edited October 2011
    Options
    To be honest, i'm not sure i see a huge difference between r8 +7/8 and r8 +10.

+8 vs +10 not a huge difference. Put the money into like 50,000 mattack chams and just leave them equipped. Alot cheaper than a +9/+10 orb.

R8 vs R9, we all know r9 is WAAAYY better, but that is not the point I want to know. What I want to know is what would the min refine should I have on R8 it at less stant up from r9's?

Well, you won't exactly "stand up" to r9's, but to contribute in TW you need rank 8 to be at least +8 or so. R8 +5/+6, on your server I suspect, will barely scratch a cata barb, and thats really all you will be there to do. Rank 8 at least +8 with magic attack charms, sage/demon spark, debuffs and frenzy or genie spark + a bm that still knows how to HF and you should be able to contribute.
    Is r9 really worth its cost to get?

Worth the cost depends on how much you have to spend and what you are able to do on your server against the factions you fight with rank 8, so the only one that can really answer that question is you. I know I played with TT99 as long as humanly possible on a smaller server, but it just got to the point where I couldn't tank a single hit from any rank 9 weapon (even without the set bonuses) in TT90 armor and I was hitting 35k hp barbs for 2k with just bids. I could get up to 10k if I dumped everything on him (undine + frenzy + extreme poison etc) and bids crit, but thats not even a charm tick.

Should I skip r8 all together and go for r9? However I do not want to waist RL money on R9, I can only afford r8 and already have the rep for it.

If you can, sure. Again, this is really only a question you can answer.
    This is what Im going for http://pwcalc.com/406f6be8d6121b80 already have the belt (Only Stage 1 but will upgrade after), both rings, cape, necklace. I have Warsong Heaven helm and want to swap for the scar, but that is what Im going to do last. Would all this be a waist? should I just resell everything and just go for r9?

To be honest? Rank 9 ring and weapon alone with even tt90 armor is probably a bigger threat in tw than that build.

And this might be just a personal preference, but get a +15 magic tome. They are not that hard to farm doing a few RB deltas, and you won't miss the 60 hp from your +6 vit tome.
  • Rivi_V - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2011
    Options
    To be honest? Rank 9 ring and weapon alone with even tt90 armor is probably a bigger threat in tw than that build.

And this might be just a personal preference, but get a +15 magic tome. They are not that hard to farm doing a few RB deltas, and you won't miss the 60 hp from your +6 vit tome.

Tome was matter of once Iv finished with all my equip to go for. That build was something I was planing to go for and though it would be the best besides r9. I didnt know how OP r9 can be. It was a build I was going to take so I can grind for r9 and though could stand up minimum in PK and TW at less. b:surrender

Thx for your insight.

Edit, with the r8 and r9 recast, dont know if I should get r8 before or after the recast.
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Edit, with the r8 and r9 recast, dont know if I should get r8 before or after the recast.

Recast will be like recasting nirvana, apparently. No harm in getting it now before they update it. You can just add the wrists and boots and recast whatever you want when they update it (which could be a long time, I don't know that there has been anything definitive from pwi on it in terms of details or release dates, etc.)
This discussion has been closed.