PW International Championship is coming!

Options
frankieraye
frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
Big news - we've been invited to participate in the Perfect World International Championship!

Check out this post for all the details, and feel free to ask any and all questions about the process and tournament here.

Update: We have modified the rules slightly. Instead of one free-for-all match, there will actually be two. Half the teams will fight in the first, and the other half will fight in the second. The winner of each stage will then face off in 6v6 combat to determine the server winner!

We're making this change to give the teams more room to maneuver, as well as to add a true 6v6 element to the tournament.

Here's how it looks in the News Post:

o The match is a free-for-all between teams. There will be two free-for-all stages. Half of the teams will fight in the first free for all, and the other half will fight in the second free for all.

o Upon death or log out, characters will not be able to get back into the PVP area.

o Last man standing wins for his team.

o The winner of the first free-for-all stage will then face the winner of the second free-for-all stage in 6v6 combat.

o The winner of the 6v6 battle will then face a powerful PWI Boss. This fight will be timed.

o The team with the fastest boss-killing time out of the sevent winners will advance to the PWIC Tournament!

Question and Answer Area
i'd like to know if the teams from each guild on each server will be competing with the gear they already have or if a standard set of gear will be given (temporarily) to all participants to level the playing field for this tournament.

The North American server tournaments will be fought in the players' own gear.

The main PWIC tournament, however, will be played with special tournament gear that will be obtained entirely from a designated NPC on the tournament server

Sorry if I missed it. Are apothecaries allowed?

Apothecaries are allowed.

so frankie... why is it that this tournament will have set gear in China but not here in the US?

A combination of logistics, time constraints, and developer support.

Outfitting ~360 characters in identical equipment would be very hard to do in the span of two months, considering that much of our time was spent simply making sure that the tools and content given to us were working correctly.

The best way to do it would have probably have been to have a separate server designated specifically for this, create ~360 accounts, mail login info to each of the competitors, keep track of IPs to make sure the entrants aren't letting other people log in for them, then outfit people manually one by one, since the NPC that will be used the PWIC is not available to us. This brings us to the issue of dev support - they're currently busy building out the tools that will be necessary for the actual tournament, so they aren't able to do a whole lot of stuff for the PWI version (us) right now.

Whats the email for emailing our roster? ALso how exactly will the sub work? Is it only if one member cannot show or are we allowed to have 1 squad formation for aoe fest and then sub one member for the end boss?

Email your roster to: pwi-community@perfectworldinc.com

Your team's fighting 6 must be the same for all stages of the North American tournament. Only if your alternate fights in the free-for-all can he or she then fight in the boss fight.

On assassins stealthing for the whole match:

Though they may be invisible to other classes, the assassins involved should still be able to see each other in most cases. Due to the relatively small size of the arena and the likelihood that they may be targeted or hit early on, whether by AoE or another assassin, this may not actually be an issue.

So far, the only modification we'd make to the rules is to add some sort of time limit to the free-for-all battle - possibly something like "if there has been no pvp combat for 60 seconds, all stealthed characters must reveal themselves."

On why there is a timed boss battle:

We are not able to copy characters to another server, which is what we would need to do to let the different server champions duke it out. Incidentally, this is also why we don't have server transfers.

However, it does bring an interesting balance element into the competition - load up on heals to survive the longest and your boss kill time will suffer, not to mention your ability to win the 6v6 should you get that far.
Post edited by frankieraye on

Comments

• Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    frankie buy me r9 so I stand a chance pls.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Because a battle royale and then a timed boss fight from a limited list of players is clearly the best way to determine who are the best PKers. /sarcasm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • ObviousAlt - Raging Tide
    ObviousAlt - Raging Tide Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Woot R9 gonna own these battles.. but it will be fun if i get to participate
    102 Celestial Demon Archer (2nd Rebirth 102)
    101 Celestial Sage Blademaster (Rebirth 100)
    101 Demon Sin (Rebirth 100)
    101 Sage Seeker (Rebirth 100)
    101 Sage Wiz (Rebirth 100)
    101 Sage Cleric (Rebirth 100)
    101 Sage Barb (Rebirth 100)
    101 Demon Duskblade (2nd Rebirth 101)
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Guys shutup, I'm trying to score a free r9 set off of frankie here. Wait your turn.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • LovesTragedy - Lost City
    LovesTragedy - Lost City Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Implement EG r9, and have a General Summers sale AND D.Orb sale this week plox b:cute

I want in b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chars:
    CptMaggots 101 sage R8/NV Seeker
    LovesTragedy 100 demon R8 Cleric

~Finally quit this god forsaken game~
    Enjoy the rest of the downward spiral. See you in SWtOR b:bye
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    First page.

K so put simple, all the biggiest cash shoppers will be doing this tourny, perhaps if this was a somewhat skill based game, it would be interesting, but this game is so far from skilled that it's no longer funny, g/l PWI with your fail event.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • _SoulCrusheR - Dreamweaver
    _SoulCrusheR - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The USA championship should look like http://ru.justin.tv/pw_ru/b/289877231 (taken from russian video-translation of their championship).
    Every1 is going to obtain full r9+12 w/ vit (i suppose, dont know for sure) stones, 100 LP genie, NO flying mounts and flying is acceptable, u WILL NOT use any attack boxes (even from daily event).
    U wont be able to change ur cultivations, i.e. if u were sage on ur own server, u will be at tournament.
    100 skills will be available as well.
    Oh ye, u cant use aps gear or fists. Only r9.
    The 1st price shall be: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/28418. Yes it is confirmed from Russian
    GM source.

Am i right Frankie, or there will be smth new at the US tourney?
  • Dawnx_ - Harshlands
    Dawnx_ - Harshlands Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I wish i could participate... As a barb... Then i could walk up to a squishy say hi then... Blow them to smithereens with Arma.
    Dawnx_- 101 Sage Cleric.
    Dawnx- 100 Demon Cleric.
    DawnMyst- 94 Mystic.
    Doom_Panda- 101 R9 Barb 23k HP. :D
    PsychicTuna- 90 Sage Psychic.

PANDAS FTW!!!
  • Shadowvzss - Harshlands
    Shadowvzss - Harshlands Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    but that qestion still not answered what we asked the most of time b:sweatb:cold
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The USA championship should look like http://ru.justin.tv/pw_ru/b/289877231 (taken from russian video-translation of their championship).
    Every1 is going to obtain full r9+12 w/ vit (i suppose, dont know for sure) stones, 100 LP genie, NO flying mounts and flying is acceptable, u WILL NOT use any attack boxes (even from daily event).
    U wont be able to change ur cultivations, i.e. if u were sage on ur own server, u will be at tournament.
    The 1st price shall be: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/28418. Yes it is confirmed from Russian
    GM source.

Nonsense.

Everyone knows that making the US teams prepare for killing a boss, forcing us to bring high DPS classes and maybe barbs, is the best way to prep us for internationals.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2011
    Options
    GM source.

Except instead of an organised 2v2, there'll be like.. 9-10 different squads all thrown into an arena to duke it out. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Big news - we've been invited to participate in the Perfect World International Championship!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8LOLswfTkQ
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i'd like to know if the teams from each guild on each server will be competing with the gear they already have or if a standard set of gear will be given (temporarily) to all participants to level the playing field for this tournament.
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options

Each player brings his own underwear, lunchbox and gear. I doubt they can automatically add 300k reputation to every player competing. You know...Just like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    They should do that even for the qualifying rounds. :o

Seriously, fit everyone out in NPC gear and let's see if all these r9 people actually have skill or are just all talk due to their gear. Frankly, that's the only way this tournament has a chance in hell of being more than a pointless e-peenfest. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • SQUISHKASS - Sanctuary
    SQUISHKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    They should do that even for the qualifying rounds. :o

Seriously, fit everyone out in NPC gear and let's see if all these r9 people actually have skill or are just all talk due to their gear. Frankly, that's the only way this tournament has a chance in hell of being more than a pointless e-peenfest. :P

What's the problem? I assume in the (pre) finals everyone is going to be r9 +10-12, so pretty much equal players.
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And I see you have fixed the Sanctuary eligible Factions list to contain Sanctuary's land owning factions rather than Raging Tides's. This has pleased me

b^-^d
  • ArchAngeLi - Harshlands
    ArchAngeLi - Harshlands Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    contest of who spent more in game and who has more r9s +12 much?

would be nice if every1 had same gear during the tournies and stuff b:sad
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    maintenance was delayed for this ?.....
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • HaveanLight - Heavens Tear
    HaveanLight - Heavens Tear Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    This tournament will be a bit unbalance, as many player already own R9 +12 and some not .
    The tournament should contain like a rules like u should use npc gear to participate in the event b:laugh and this will be fun if ppl gonna to refine npc gear + 12 b:chuckle

Anyway good job for preparing this event for us b:victory
    Dot...Dot...dots....dots... b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    X
    We
    Are
    Reality
    X
    **** QUIT PWI BECAUSE NEW HORIZON EXPANSION SUCKS ****
  • WangZi - Dreamweaver
    WangZi - Dreamweaver Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I think it's a cool idea, although R9 will dominate the event, but then it'll become a battle of skill between R9, lmao
    Also the rules seem pretty fair actually, like not more than 1 or 2 of a particular class (sins) and stuff like that.
    Would be fun to participate, but I'd get owned anyways. I'm actually pumped up to see who wins b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig made by Dorset b:victoryb:thanks
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    This tournament will be a bit unbalance, as many player already own R9 +12 and some not .
    The tournament should contain like a rules like u should use npc gear to participate in the event b:laugh and this will be fun if ppl gonna to refine npc gear + 12 b:chuckle

Anyway good job for preparing this event for us b:victory

^ This, though I did see this suggestion before somewhere...

I would make it more fair for every 100+ person so they won't get pwned by R9+12 people... >_>

If not here's how the squads are most likely going to be:

R9/Nirvana Demon 5aps Sin
    R9/Nirvana Demon 5aps BM
    R9 Cleric (mainly for buffs/Heals)
    R9 Barb (mainly for buffs)
    R9 Wiz or R9 Archer
    R9 Psychic

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • WangZi - Dreamweaver
    WangZi - Dreamweaver Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    In a way, it could be that PWI is repaying those who invested a lot of money OR time into the game (aka farming R9 like some people or simply buying lmao)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig made by Dorset b:victoryb:thanks
  • Kristina_t - Heavens Tear
    Kristina_t - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I actually cant wait to see the winners from here owned by the Chinese b:laugh
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So like.. are our players going to have English clients in China or are they expected to learn pinyin in a month?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vasilisk - Harshlands
    Vasilisk - Harshlands Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yes, PWR (russia) did good job preparing this event. Separate server, tournament grid, equal gear fight... i'm really really wonder... shame to PWI organization.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The only way for this selection process to work is to have money play no part in it. Have everyone with equal level unrefined npc gear, give everyone identical potions. Everyone must be as evened out as possible. This way its not about how much money they spent, its about how well they can actually play.

Giving everyone rank 9 gear is a very bad idea.. Then its about who can 1 shot who first and that is not a competition.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I actually cant wait to see the winners from here owned by the Chinese b:laugh

Though the Chinese don't have R9/Pack sales every other week like us so I don't think they will have as nearly as many (if any) R9/5aps like us so I think they are the ones that are going to get owned due to use getting easy access to R9 gears unlike them.. ijs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    What's the problem? I assume in the (pre) finals everyone is going to be r9 +10-12, so pretty much equal players.
    You miss my point.

Most of our prominent PVP players love to stress the importance of skill in PVP. Fair enough, I say. But they seem to believe (or want us to believe, at any rate) that with sufficient levels of skill, one can transcend the, frankly, enormous differences in both offensive and defensive capability which can be seen between various endgame and pseudo-endgame gears.

And yeah, a r9 player with +10 gears and skill is probably going to beat a r9 player of the same class with +12 gears and no skill. But those are minor gear differences. When you compare r9 even to r8, much less to TT99, Lunar, Mold gears, etc... we all know there is no comparison. Even if you could rationalize other PVP imbalances as a fair fight, r9 would still blow it all out of the water.

Tournaments are, fundamentally, challenges of skill. Perfect World's PVP system, however, has long been a game of "who can bring the biggest gun to the fight." And as long as this is the case, any tournament-style competition based on PW's system (and indeed, probably including the current Tournament Mode) will be fundamentally flawed and therefore pointless.

For the record, my extension of Vinat's idea was mainly added as a joke, as I know they'll never do it. But wouldn't it be interesting? I'd love to see how today's big-name PVPers fight when they aren't hiding behind their gear. Hell, I'm sure I'd still lose, because I'm not much of a PVPer myself. XD But that's not the point... if a tourney was held with all NPC gears, we'd get to see who really does have the skill that everyone claims to have.

Actually, I seem to remember someone from my server (I think from Enrage, even) posting about an NPC-gear PK event. Did that ever happen? o.o

EDIT: Ninja'd by Zoe, and more succinctly put, too. Well done. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • SQUISHKASS - Sanctuary
    SQUISHKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The only way for this selection process to work is to have money play no part in it. Have everyone with equal level unrefined npc gear, give everyone identical potions. Everyone must be as evened out as possible. This way its not about how much money they spent, its about how well they can actually play.

Giving everyone rank 9 gear is a very bad idea.. Then its about who can 1 shot who first and that is not a competition.

How exactly does sending every nub who just started playing make it work?

Pplz gear shows how much effort or cash they put into their toon. What's wrong in that being payed of.