Tutorial: PWI on Ubuntu 10.10

Options
1235»

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    if the launcher runs but doesn't launch the game client, try running elementclient.exe from the command line. it probably still won't work, but it might give an error message that could be helpful in figuring out why it isn't working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • tsukihime13
    tsukihime13 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ok i managed to install the vcrun6 and its started to work the game client opened but the moment it got in the login page it suddenly crashed. there are the images of what happened and the image of the problem that wine found:photo.php?fbid=247013065312236&set=a.247013061978903.80968.100000106336170&type=1&theater and:
    photo.php?fbid=247013855312157&set=a.247013738645502.80969.100000106336170&type=1&theater sorry for the images they are not good but im in a hurry, gotta get out soon.
  • Meluzina - Harshlands
    Meluzina - Harshlands Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    did you also install vcrun6?

I did, and it works but

When i type my name and password, it crashes b:cry

Also, it does crash before, when i type enter to make the logging window appear, it just freezes and crashes

I did use the elementclient in terminal and got that :

"err:ddraw:DllMain Unknown default surface type. Supported are:
    gdi, opengl" with some weird window with text i can't read (configs.pck).
  • Yogaxpto - Dreamweaver
    Yogaxpto - Dreamweaver Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The graphic card is an ati?
    Trolling since September 2008b:victory

Don't worry. I might stop trolling and say something useful... One day....
  • Meluzina - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The graphic card is an ati?

Nvidia Geforce GT 320M
  • tsukihime13
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Thanks melurzina for you post where you especified that the problem was in the mai.dll i dont know if its goig to help you, but for me its working normally now (thanks god!) b:laugh
    i downloaded the main.dll from a specialized dll librarie ( http://www.nodevice.com/dll/Main_dll/item10968.html ) and opened my c: paste, in the system 32 i copied the main.dll to it, cause this dll is the entry key to some others. Then you can play it like you always do.
    Thanks everyone else for the support and attention. See you in the game and good level up for you all!b:thanks
  • Meluzina - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Thanks melurzina for you post where you especified that the problem was in the mai.dll i dont know if its goig to help you, but for me its working normally now (thanks god!) b:laugh
    i downloaded the main.dll from a specialized dll librarie ( http://www.nodevice.com/dll/Main_dll/item10968.html ) and opened my c: paste, in the system 32 i copied the main.dll to it, cause this dll is the entry key to some others. Then you can play it like you always do.
    Thanks everyone else for the support and attention. See you in the game and good level up for you all!b:thanks

I'm glad i could help you b:thanks

I opened winetricks and did go to system32 in C:, i copied main.dll but nothing changed, it still crashes b:cry
  • tsukihime13
    edited June 2011
    Options
    did you changed in the permission area (right click with the mouse> properties>permission) to an executable program? most of dlls in my computer needed to changed that way to work out,
  • Meluzina - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    did you changed in the permission area (right click with the mouse> properties>permission) to an executable program? most of dlls in my computer needed to changed that way to work out,

Yup i changed the permission.

Does all your .dll are changed ? Did you set them as executable ?
  • tsukihime13
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yup i changed the permission.

Does all your .dll are changed ? Did you set them as executable ?

I`ve changed all of them manually XP, took me some time to find them all and change them to executable and not only with th system32 dlls but with the ones in the PWI file also (there are some there) and look in the configurations of your wine, is it in windows xp or 7 version? also you should copy the dlls from the PWI paste to the system 32. Last thing try to change, if its still isn`t, the patcher.exe , elementclient.exe and launcher.exe to executable also.
  • Meluzina - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I`ve changed all of them manually XP, took me some time to find them all and change them to executable and not only with th system32 dlls but with the ones in the PWI file also (there are some there) and look in the configurations of your wine, is it in windows xp or 7 version? also you should copy the dlls from the PWI paste to the system 32. Last thing try to change, if its still isn`t, the patcher.exe , elementclient.exe and launcher.exe to executable also.

Hey mate,

It is going a bit better, i can see my char, but when i'm about to enter in PW it crashes b:angry

Also, sometimes it freezes when i type enter so i can't even log, it is random b:shocked

I checked everything you said, i didn't copy DLL that were already in system32 and pwi but the others i did, all permissions are allowed (i did select everything and allowed permissions)

How do you check if it is win xp or 7 ? I think it is XP but i'm not sure
  • tsukihime13
    edited June 2011
    Options
    just click in the button of wine under the aplicatives ( not sure its the name in english) the you go on wine> configure wine there in the first page will be, in the end of the page, a boz named windows version where you cn choose W.7 W.xp W.2008 even W.2.0 (XD).
  • Meluzina - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    just click in the button of wine under the aplicatives ( not sure its the name in english) the you go on wine> configure wine there in the first page will be, in the end of the page, a boz named windows version where you cn choose W.7 W.xp W.2008 even W.2.0 (XD).

Thanks, this is win xp.

Is it ok ?
  • tsukihime13
    edited June 2011
    Options
    sure! im using it right now XD. But sorry everything i did to make it work i`ve told you, now i`m out of suggestions XP and i should also be studing for some tests tomorrow morning, so i gotta go for now. I`ll try to think a way out to solve your problem.
  • tsukihime13
    edited June 2011
    Options
    But here are the steps i`ve done:
    1.Installed wine 1.3.
    2.Installed DirectX.
    3.Installed the game (notice that i`m assuming every installation was succesful with no broken data).
    4.Installed the vcrun6 through wine-tricks.
    5.Downloaded (from that previous mentioned site) the Main.dll and copied it into the system32 paste in c:.
    6.Changed all dlls and .exe files in system32 to executable trough the permissions. (right click> properties> permission).Also copied the dlls from the pastes in PWI paste into the system32.

There are no problems using Windows Xp or 7 version in wine configuration, but make sure its one of them. The only problem I`m facing right now is that i can`t play in the full-screen mode cause i can`t see the buttons XP, so i`m just using the windowed versin in 1024x800 resolutions (pretty much the same as full screen).
  • Meluzina - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    1.Installed wine 1.3.
    2.Installed DirectX.
    3.Installed the game (notice that i`m assuming every installation was succesful with no broken data).
    5.Downloaded (from that previous mentioned site) the Main.dll and copied it into the system32 paste in c:.
    6.Changed all dlls and .exe files in system32 to executable trough the permissions. (right click> properties> permission).Also copied the dlls from the pastes in PWI paste into the system32.

There are no problems using Windows Xp or 7 version in wine configuration, but make sure its one of them. The only problem I`m facing right now is that i can`t play in the full-screen mode cause i can`t see the buttons XP, so i`m just using the windowed versin in 1024x800 resolutions (pretty much the same as full screen).

Ok i did all that. Can you show me your regedit to see if i didn't forget to add a key ?
    I'm pretty sure my regedit is not good, cause i did some changes and it didn't work as smoothly as before.
  • Meluzina - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ok i did all that. Can you show me your regedit to see if i didn't forget to add a key ?
    I'm pretty sure my regedit is not good, cause i did some changes and it didn't work as smoothly as before.

Can someone tell me what's inside the regedit ? b:thanks
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Can someone tell me what's inside the regedit ? b:thanks

do you mean the registry keys mentioned in this howto?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Meluzina - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Options
    do you mean the registry keys mentioned in this howto?

thanks i'll reinstall completely PWI tomorow to see if this works
  • malorum
    malorum Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    1.Installed wine 1.3.
    2.Installed DirectX.

A quick question if I may: When you say install DirectX, which version and/or are you installing via download from Microsoft's site or via wine-tricks?
  • rinuruc
    rinuruc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    oke, a quick linux-related question-
    first of all- i like linux, but isnt using wine on it somewhat like **** your linux? isnt there a way that allows directly playing pwi on linux?
    second part - since i updated ubuntu to the most recent version, the drivers seem slightly screwed - the right nvidia drivers are on it; but each time i open something like stellarium or so, it says "does not support opengl" or so, but i dont dare to mess around with my xorg.conf file (if u **** with linux (and you are not a pro), linux sometimes tends to return the favor).
    so my gfx drivers are somewhat screwed on linux. (though on windows it works fine)

edit: (so to summarise- does anyone know how to make my drivers work again, and a way to play pwi directly on linux, without having to come close to windows by using wine? )
    more edit: i think the drivers dont work properly because i updated them while previous ubuntu was on laptop, and when updating to new ubuntu, it cant find drivers anymore, but idk how to make it work again
    edited August 2011
    Options
    rinuruc wrote: »
    first of all- i like linux, but isnt using wine on it somewhat like **** your linux? isnt there a way that allows directly playing pwi on linux?

no, not at all; and no there isn't --- unless you count wine, which arguably is just such a way.

all wine is, is a middleware layer that intercepts a windows program's various call-outs that normally would go to MS windows, and translates them (sometimes quite elaborately) into linux calls. for instance, it'll catch PWI's calling out to Active3D and issue OpenGL calls instead.

wine doesn't do a perfect job, of course --- because this job is every bit as complicated as it sounds and more. but it's not hurting your linux at all, it's actually rather clever.

second part - since i updated ubuntu to the most recent version, the drivers seem slightly screwed - the right nvidia drivers are on it; but each time i open something like stellarium or so, it says "does not support opengl" or so, but i dont dare to mess around with my xorg.conf file (if u **** with linux (and you are not a pro), linux sometimes tends to return the favor).
    so my gfx drivers are somewhat screwed on linux. (though on windows it works fine)

Ubuntu has an admin tool to let you install graphics card drivers; tried running that to get the latest version of the nvidia driver? you may have to reboot, as well, one of the rare cases a linux update will actually require a reboot.
  • rinuruc
    rinuruc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    no, not at all; and no there isn't --- unless you count wine, which arguably is just such a way.

all wine is, is a middleware layer that intercepts a windows program's various call-outs that normally would go to MS windows, and translates them (sometimes quite elaborately) into linux calls. for instance, it'll catch PWI's calling out to Active3D and issue OpenGL calls instead.

wine doesn't do a perfect job, of course --- because this job is every bit as complicated as it sounds and more. but it's not hurting your linux at all, it's actually rather clever.

Ubuntu has an admin tool to let you install graphics card drivers; tried running that to get the latest version of the nvidia driver? you may have to reboot, as well, one of the rare cases a linux update will actually require a reboot.

hmm the last part- how should i exactly do that? (it says it has the latest version of the drivers; but if i look in xorg.conf or something like that; it doesnt say that it has the nvidia drivers. - so the nvidia drivers are somewhere on the linux partition too; but linux doesnt recognize em r so, because when i had the previous ubuntu on it; everything worked just fine- )
    edited August 2011
    Options
    rinuruc wrote: »
    hmm the last part- how should i exactly do that? (it says it has the latest version of the drivers; but if i look in xorg.conf or something like that; it doesnt say that it has the nvidia drivers. - so the nvidia drivers are somewhere on the linux partition too; but linux doesnt recognize em r so, because when i had the previous ubuntu on it; everything worked just fine- )

System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers is what i was thinking of. if that doesn't work, i'm unsure myself how to proceed --- i've not seen that fail, namely. i'd go looking through the various error log files and try to figure out WHY it's failing, and how; then i'd go from there. quite probably i'd end up asking questions on Ubuntu's own forums about it.
  • BoomR - Dreamweaver
    BoomR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Been on Linux for over 10 years now. I have also run PWI on it since 2007. I came here looking for new information about a new problem that has cropped up, but this info is old.

I am the maintainer of the PWI section on Wine's own site called AppDB.winehq.org, that deals with Windows prorams on Linux and Mac. You can get to the page here, http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9923 )

We have lots of info there pertaining to Wine and PWI, including a PWI.reg file, and what should be done to get this to work. What fonts are needed and DLL's are needed. There are dedicated people on this site that help users to run PWI on whatever flavor of Linux you run.

Some people in this World, take information from other sites and make it their own, and that really hurts! But then again, I help people on my site and it make me feel better. Guess I'm just ranting and raving.
  • SugarPrinces - Sanctuary
    SugarPrinces - Sanctuary Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I myself hve searched quite a while till I actually got PWI running on linux.

That is why I want 2 help ppl who eventually have the same problems I encountered. So here are a few steps on HOW I made it work:

Should also possibly point out that gamers having issues with graphics etc while running games in ubuntu should drop the unity and go with straight gnome or KDE, some directx games dont get along well with desktop compositing which the unity engine as well as compiz do, as pretty as it is (the desktop cube for example), it can be a significant performance drop while gaming.