Tutorial: PWI on Ubuntu 10.10

Comments

• Ca/o - Dreamweaver19
    Ca/o - Dreamweaver19 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    wine 1.3.13
    after starting elementclient open *beep* movie window and stopping all.If close window-client auotoclose. For what need teaser ingame??
  • Koltrast - Sanctuary
    Koltrast - Sanctuary Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    geneis crashes under wine1.3 in ubuntu but works with wine1.2

I can confirm this is true for me too.

Instant crash after the loading screen in 1.3, runs fine in 1.2 (on same computer, using same PWI installation and two different wine installs)
  • xaraphina
    xaraphina Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=10148&sid=a84603c63d39058c2d8dcd320bee9aba

Disabling the winegstreamer.dll fixed my problem. Noticed gstreamer flipping out in my terminal. I run a terminal to simplify closing it if it crashes.

I run 1.3.12 on Fedora.

hope it helps.
  • madjp
    madjp Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I installed wine 1.3.14 and installed PWI then updated it. Next I used winetricks to install the direct x 9 apps suggested in the first post. PWI loads initially then freezes, I read back to here and then disabled winegstreamer under libraries in wine config. My game still freezes after the initial load completes, I do not get to the login page. I m running ubuntu 10.04 if that helps. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get PWI running?

- I tried disabling pixel shader support and Audio in wine config, managed to move my cursor around before getting this error after the initial game load.

screenshot1d.png
    screenshot1d.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Ca/o - Dreamweaver20
    Ca/o - Dreamweaver20 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    downgrade wine to stable branch(1.2)

-_-" but in 1.2 now sometimes pw started sometimes freeze when start teaser.
    >.< damned china programmers
  • madjp
    madjp Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I uninstalled wine 1.3.14 and installed 1.2.2 but still crash at the same point. Is there a way to disable to teaser? I'd rather play then freeze up on a little cinematic......

Edit - managed to login and play by disabling winegstreamer.dll and pixelshader support as well as editing my wine registry by adding the direct3d code, but now my character models are messed up and the game is laggy. I tried switching from opengl to directdraw in the direct 3d registry but saw no difference. I feel like all I need to do is tweak something to get it to run smoothly again (as it did on winxp on the same comp) but am obviously new to linux. Any suggestions?
  • AshLady - Dreamweaver
    AshLady - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    file:///home/work/Desktop/Screenshot.png
    I have this problem.......
  • Laraethan - Harshlands
    Laraethan - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Ahhh no such luck - Wine 1.3.14 and 1.2 - get to loading screen, then locks or crashes. A couple times, I get a second of the intro movie, but then locked up.
    Once I got music... but still locked a sec into the intro.

I've disabled gstreamer, pixel shaders. No idea how to add direct3d code but I can see it's not useful anyway going by what madjp said.

Anyone got it working yet?
  • elieli
    elieli Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Hi I can confirm that the game works with 1.2.0 as opposed to 1.3.x. I've also filed a bug report over at:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26289

It would be good if others would go to the bug report and confirm that their is a problem.

I hope the following tip will be helpful to all you fellow Linux users. Quoting from my bug report.

I can only run the game one time per boot from the patcher. If I log off of the game for some reason and run the game from the patcher again, the game freezes while trying to load. If, on the otherhand I run the game client, elementclient.exe while making ~/.wine/drive_c/Perfect World Entertainment/Perfect World International/element/ the current working folder the game runs just fine. However the "loading" screen when the client is first run and when "entering" the game is still is clipping under KDE.

Also, if I have to log off the game, I have to run the patcher again, wait for the game to freeze, Kill the game and then run the main game client before I can
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    im considering installing linux on my PS3. im figuring if i can get this game to work on linux i can proably run it at max graphics no sweat with the power my ps3 has

i got a nice laptop but its got nothing on the 8 cores my ps3 has.

ne1 tried running on Linux from a ps3
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Ca/o - Dreamweaver22
    Ca/o - Dreamweaver22 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    b:laugh
    awesome. Freaking 1.43 in one day say me fuuuu and never run again.After 2 hours try i remove wine wine-gecko winetriks
    after delete home/username/.wine
    and reinstall wine 1.2.b:chuckle
    and after i wana try run PW and not install DirectX.
    wonderfull effect!!!!
    PW quick started and no more freaking pigmeys moveb:dirtyb:dirtyb:dirty
    old good tideborn login screen.IDK why but now it works for me at Ubuntu.After 2-3 days i try it in Arch Linux
  • Teknull - Harshlands
    Teknull - Harshlands Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    well i updated my wine to 3, then started reading on here about how the new pw doesnt work on 3 and does on 2 lol

so lets see how it works on 2 xD
    [SIGPIC]xDD[/SIGPIC]
  • Teknull - Harshlands
    edited March 2011
    i gotta update the launcher... this is gonna take forever... :(
    [SIGPIC]xDD[/SIGPIC]
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    im considering installing linux on my PS3. im figuring if i can get this game to work on linux i can proably run it at max graphics no sweat with the power my ps3 has

i got a nice laptop but its got nothing on the 8 cores my ps3 has.

ne1 tried running on Linux from a ps3

Never tried it, don't have a PS3 for a start!

But seems to be plenty of websites telling you how to go about installing it.

Believe it only works with PS3 that have the Other OS option but is unavailable on later models.

Sounds interesting if you go for it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Linux runs SLOW on the PS3, and it does not have really good ways for handling memory like PCs and Macs do.

Think of the PS3 being an exotic sports car on a go-kart track. Its crappy memory issues, and small amount of memory with how it handles threads, does not make it ideal for running 3d games that were made for PC.

In the development community (AAA game titles), it is called the "Praystation" for a reason b:thanks
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Ca/o - Dreamweaver23
    Ca/o - Dreamweaver23 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    addon for post 72
    try this trick at Arch Linux- (no luck.Sayd something unreadable about directX( .If need,i can add screen
  • Teknull - Harshlands
    edited March 2011
    so my "nude" tideborn problem still exists, i have wine 1.2.2...

the patch update finally finished, i dont seem to have too much of a problem with the seeker class, the only problem I've noticed so far is theres no sound.
    [SIGPIC]xDD[/SIGPIC]
  • iaos83
    iaos83 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Hi i've been trying the installation the way that is said on this thread (both install) and finally had some progress with the second, but when i start the game it just shoes broken images, i have the feeling that it has to do with the fact that i have ATI Radeon graphics and it is said that ATI private drivers for ubuntu 10.10 are crappy, has anyone found a work arround or a way to get the game going?
  • Teknull - Harshlands
    edited March 2011
    So, I was overlooking my reg settings I noticed I had one missing, when I was on http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9923
    I added the missing Reg String and now everything seems to be fine,

this is what my reg looks like..
    winereg-edit.png

my Tideborn is no longer "naked" xD my seeker seems to be fine too, the background is good as well.

thanks for everyones help! ^_^

later
    [SIGPIC]xDD[/SIGPIC]
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    for the record: adding those registry keys like Teknull mentioned in the previous post seems like a really gearheaded thing to do, and may seem counterintuitive for somebody who thinks of wine as a Linux device driver (actually, maybe that's my mistake...) but it works.

at least, it works PROVIDED THAT you have the most recent graphics card drivers available. (i downloaded the version 11.2 ATI drivers, what came with my Ubuntu 10.4 distro wasn't new enough.) just adding the registry keys alone made things worse for me; updating the drivers then adding those keys improved the game's rendering quality considerably. i now get many fewer glitches in-game.

i'm running Ubuntu 10.4 LTS and wine 1.2.x from the winehq package repository on an ATI 5570 graphics card. game runs fine, just some sound glitches i work around by muting the sound.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Vahnn - Harshlands
    Vahnn - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    for the record: adding those registry keys like Teknull mentioned in the previous post seems like a really gearheaded thing to do, and may seem counterintuitive for somebody who thinks of wine as a Linux device driver (actually, maybe that's my mistake...) but it works.

at least, it works PROVIDED THAT you have the most recent graphics card drivers available. (i downloaded the version 11.2 ATI drivers, what came with my Ubuntu 10.4 distro wasn't new enough.) just adding the registry keys alone made things worse for me; updating the drivers then adding those keys improved the game's rendering quality considerably. i now get many fewer glitches in-game.

i'm running Ubuntu 10.4 LTS and wine 1.2.x from the winehq package repository on an ATI 5570 graphics card. game runs fine, just some sound glitches i work around by muting the sound.

i get a sound error too.. it starts up with the game, then eventually at some point it turns off, but i dont mind I just end up opening my playlist and listen to that xD
  • talonzx
    talonzx Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I just started playing perfectworld a couple of weeks ago, for me to install and play with out any issues i did these steps

1 download game
    2 install game "wine perfectworldinstaller.exe" (i had to "export LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8" befor i could get the installer to work)
    3 in winecfg under graphics check emulate virtual desktop and set resolution to the exact same res as your monitor (i set mine to 1920 x 1080). i did this cause i have multible screens and every time my mouse left one screen the game would **** up ... this seemed to fix that
    4 play game :D

this was from a fresh install of wine no directx 9 needed

Archlinux 2.6.37-pae
    wine-1.3.15
    Nvidia 260.19.44
    Sound OSS4
    CPU AMD X4 @3.8ghz
    RAM 4gigs ddr 3 dominator
    GPU GTX480

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9923
  • elieli
    edited March 2011
    Talon....

Thank you.... Thank you... Thank you..... I can confirm that this actually works. I've yet to try with full screen.

And the nice thing is no silly animation screen also.

So the trick is to start a new prefix. Reinstall the game. And DO NOT install directx9 from winetricks. And all should work well.

Once again thanks for sharing your experience.
  • elieli
    edited March 2011
    OK... Full Screen works just fine :)

Just make sure that in the Wine Configuration tool under Graphics is that you have:

Allow DirectX apps.... checked

and both;

Allow the window manger off
  • elieli
    edited March 2011
    Two other things to note..

1) You probably still need to install core fonts with winetricks to make the text in the game look the way they're supposed to and

2) The traditional wine registry setting for the game seem to improve the image quality of the game

Have fun all
  • talonzx
    talonzx Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    elieli wrote: »
    Two other things to note..

1) You probably still need to install core fonts with winetricks to make the text in the game look the way they're supposed to and

2) The traditional wine registry setting for the game seem to improve the image quality of the game

Have fun all

whoops thanks for pointing that out .. i did install corefonts
  • Ca/o - Dreamweaver24
    Ca/o - Dreamweaver24 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    hmm i do all what you sayd in arch but -_-" broke after starting elementclient
    Archlinux 2010 x86_64 release
    1.Remove wine
    2. delete wine-folder
    3.install wine 1.3 +winetricks +corefont +fakechina
    4 use WINEARCH= wine32 winecfg (for generate new folder)
    5.start wine elementclient.exe and crached
    for test i try started another game(perfect work in Ubuntu) Kuodai Majong (use DirectX too) and catch DEP error 0_0 like this
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351/en-us
    b:shockedb :chuckle this only one trouble,who can stopped my way from Ubuntu to Arch
  • XXagonyXx - Heavens Tear
    XXagonyXx - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    after todays update wine users seem to have to install the vcrun6 package via winetricks
    to make perfect world work again.
  • Erakko - Raging Tide
    Erakko - Raging Tide Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    after todays update wine users seem to have to install the vcrun6 package via winetricks

Thanks for that. I spent some hours to find what is the problem :)
  • Farnstoll - Dreamweaver
    Farnstoll - Dreamweaver Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2011

Indeed, looks like PW forgot to package [1] MSVCP60.dll:
    err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP60.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\pelit\\pwi\\element\\FTDriver.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library FTDriver.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\pelit\\pwi\\element\\elementclient.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\pelit\\pwi\\element\\elementclient.exe" failed, status c0000135

and maybe others. Now if a Windows user would send a ticket about that...

[1] http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ item 6.5