Tutorial: PWI on Ubuntu 10.10

DemonDeer - Lost City
DemonDeer - Lost City Posts: 18 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Support Desk
I myself hve searched quite a while till I actually got PWI running on linux.

That is why I want 2 help ppl who eventually have the same problems I encountered. So here are a few steps on HOW I made it work:

(U should burn an already installed and Updated version on a DVD and copy it 2 your home directory later if u switch 2 linux. You dont hav 2, the installer works just fine, but this is the way how I did it, when I switched from Windows 2 Linux)

1st: (I have Ubuntu, so I dont know about other distributions) Go to your softwarecenter and install the latest drivers for your Graphic card!

2nd Go to System>Administration>Synaptic and install the latest Wine version

3rd Download this Regestry Key: (Downloadlink down, since my RS.COM Acc was ****)
4th Type "regedit" into a terminal and import that Regestry Key into the Wine Regestry. It will look like this:

http://i46.tinypic.com/eiw6f4.png

(U should also go to Applications>Wine>Configure Wine and choose in the Graphics submenu that Wine Emulates a virtual Desktop. That way u can minimize PWI in Linux without having Glitches after maximizing it again later)

IMPORTANT: Edit the VideoMemorySize Variable 2 the amount your VideoCard has!

5th
Now start the Perfect World international>launcher>launcher.exe

Go 2 Settings and set Sampling 2 the lowest value. Press save and Then start the Game.

http://i50.tinypic.com/r283z4.png

Have fun!

Edit: How to do it on Ubunto 10.10

Ok guys! Many things have changed since I wrote the tut above! So I`ll show you how I do it nowaday on Ubuntu 10.10

1st of all you have 2 copy your PWI client (best is an already updated version if you don`t want 2 go through HOURS of updates) into your home directory and change it properties:

http://i51.tinypic.com/rjmhhl.png

You see that I chose "Run this file as program" in Tab about rights. You have 2 do this with the "elementclient.exe" "patcher.exe" and the "launcher.exe"

Next up you Install wine by opening your System>Administration>Synaptic Packet manager

http://i55.tinypic.com/104me0j.png

Just type "wine" into the search function and you`ll find it.

Apply the changes and then youse "google" to find "wine-tricks". You`ll find the website below as the 1st entry.

http://i51.tinypic.com/1072yhu.png

Copy the text I`ve marked (wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks) and run it in a Terminal. Ubuntu will now install wine-tricks.
Then run "sh winetricks" in your Terminal.

http://i56.tinypic.com/xpt4jp.png

A window will pop up with all kind of options. Just select the ones I checked and click ok.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2lmwjfp.png

Ubuntu will now start to install several DirectX libraries into your system. I know it says "Not recomended" But it brings better results and I havn encountered any problems yet. After everything is done reboot your computer and double click the elementclient.exe (yeah you can run the game directly through this, you just need the launcher 4 updates)

And you get this as a result:

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zg5o9x.jpg

No editing of the regestry anymore. It works like this as you see in my Screenshot and I use max details!
Post edited by DemonDeer - Lost City on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the time and info! b:victory
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • DemonDeer - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    Oh you`re welcome ^^

Found many who asked on the net so I thought I should share my knowledge. Even though I don know if it will work the same way for other distributions. (But it should if there are Graphic drivers avaiable)
  • darthpanda16
    edited January 2010
    Ubuntu is a good build. Players can download it if they want to use it easily.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    the drivers and wine are exactly the same on every distribution (after built and installed)
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • darthpanda16
    edited January 2010
    As long as the Linux build is compiled for x86 CPUs and not x64 ones.

I think there might be other pre reqs, too, right?

Sorry, I am NOT a Linux pro. b:victory
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    As long as the Linux build is compiled for x86 CPUs and not x64 ones.

I think there might be other pre reqs, too, right?

Sorry, I am NOT a Linux pro. b:victory
    x64 builds just need the 32 bit libraries and fakeroot

built plenty of 32 bit apps on 64 bit machines

might be a good idea to sticky this for other linux users that might browse here for answers
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
  • darthpanda16
    edited January 2010
    I stickie and unstickie as demand comes and goes. We don't officially support anything but Windows XP/2000-7.

When a bunch of activity crops up, I stickie one. There would have to be a bunch of interest over a long period of time to get a stickie. If things go well enough, I might add it to the FAQ later. Hopefully people will use the Search function b:pleased
  • OzBezarius - Dreamweaver
    OzBezarius - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i am not a linux user but looking at this i wanna say thank you for doing this for all the linux users out there... that will be very helpful to them... it's people like you that deserve positions in tech support b:laugh someone put this person up to help the linux users b:laugh
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Hopefully people will use the Search function b:pleased
    I could pull up about 30+ posts in the last week that didn't..
  • darthpanda16
    edited January 2010
    When some of the issues get fixed *crosses paws* in the Stickies in Tech Support, then we may allow another Stickie. Right now, we can't.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    When some of the issues get fixed *crosses paws* in the Stickie in Tech Support, then we may allow another Stickie. Right now, we can't.
    lol yes, hopefully they'll get fixed. but I'm gonna stop spamming this thread cause it's disrespectful to the op. (I'll answer linux-based questions however)
  • cherryaid1337
    cherryaid1337 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I've been using Linux for A while and plan on formatting my windows 7 later on today! My only worry was PWI! Thankyou so much!

This should DEFINITELY be stickie! b:pleased
  • cherryaid1337
    cherryaid1337 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Not sure if you CAN answer this one, but being new to Ubuntu (Been a Windoze user for too long unfortunately) I have to ask.

Installed wine and had ALOT of trouble getting PWI to run properly, had the usual Cursor problem which I am aware of and a few GFX glitches. But as soon as i ran a few paces i got a Submit Bug Error report >.>

I decided after a day of fiddling i'd reinstall Wine. But i got the "this software item is not installable for this computer's architecture" Which I do not believe to be true seeming as I had it running fine (well other than PWI of course)

Any ideas atall?

I'm in the process of reinstalling Ubuntu at the moment so I can start from scratch.
  • DemonDeer - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    Don`t rly know what u mean by "usual Cursor problem".... Only thing I noticed was that the cursor is not animated and that AutoPath does not work propably.

If u just follow the Tutorial I wrote in the 1st post it should be fine but if Wine (I think u installed it via Software Center or Synaptic) makes problems go to http://winehq.org and download the newest version there.

It`s true that PWI makes problems if u try 2 run it on Linux, like some charackter customization glitches (which can be removed by just deactivating "Customisation" in the Game menu) but I didn`t encounter something like u discribe so far.

So my suggestion is: Install Wine via the Synaptic Paketmanager, open a Terminal and type "regedit"

Then u will come into a Windows-like Regestry-Editor. Import the PWI.reg File I posted into your Wine Regestry. (Can be done via :File>Import)

Then edit the value "VideoMemorySize" to the amount your graphic Card has. (Mine is 256 so the value is set to 256. If u have more (or less) an error of course can occur)

Don`t forget to go to the Wine Menu (Found at Applications>Wine>Configure Wine) and allow Wine to emulate a Virtual Desktop. I have a Desktop Resolution of 1240X1024 and the Virtual Desktop is set to 1024X768 in my settings.

Well hopefully I could help u.

(And if that doesn`t help it would be nice if u posted some more Info. If u have a 32bit or a 64 bit system and so on. A few details woulda been helpful 2 find the problem)
  • Soul_Brother - Dreamweaver
    Soul_Brother - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Nice tutorial! I'm using Jaunty (9.04) and got it work perfectly. I am also using the XP build of Perfect World, no issues. Just got into linux and Ubuntu VERY recently (like as of Saturday I am a Ubuntu user/fan b:victory).

EDIT: Also got it to work in Jaunty on my laptop (which I'm dual booting alongside Vista) with the Vista/Win 7 build. Again, no issues, smooth run, I'm lovin' it!
  • johndice2012
    johndice2012 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    When I went into the registry to insert the registry file, I couldn't find a Direct3D folder. I'm using ubuntu 9.10, and I just installed Wine. Where can I get the folder and contents? Thanks in advance.
  • Soul_Brother - Dreamweaver
    Soul_Brother - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    When I went into the registry to insert the registry file, I couldn't find a Direct3D folder. I'm using ubuntu 9.10, and I just installed Wine. Where can I get the folder and contents? Thanks in advance.

You do realize you have to import the key for the folder to show up in the registry right? I went through that little bit for a second, but once you import the file it shows up, allowing you to edit the parameters (you may need to expand the regedit window a little to see the options off to the right).

To do this, once you bring up regedit in the terminal:

1. Click on 'Registry'
    2. Select 'Import Registry File'
    3. Navigate to and select the registry file you downloaded from earlier in this thread

After you do this the Direct3D folder will appear as shown in the screenshot posted earlier in this thread.

Happy Hunting! b:victory
  • SirJinger - Lost City
    SirJinger - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    thanks for the guide :) but i have problems actually downloading pwi on ubuntu, im not sure if this is a linux problem or something different? after i finished it says my MD5 or SHA1 file has something wrong w/ it, anyone know what it is? thanks ):
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2010
    with the recent multitude of linux threads, this deserves a bump
  • powergeyser
    powergeyser Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    hello. well, ive followed your instructions and am now at where pwi is saved to a folder called "%mydocs%" but when i try to open it all i get is a window that is "default - wine desktop" but no game. did i do something wrong?? please advise... I've just started using ubuntu 9.10 and really want to start playing pwi again.
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    question about drivers.

I plan to instal linux as a second OS. I downloaded openSUSE 11.2 the other day (if that was a bad idea please someone recommend a different one but say some good thing on the internet about it) anyway I went to the intel website to find my drivers for chipset, wireless, etc. and it said that mostly these drivers come with a linux package. How can I be sure I have proper and updated drivers before I install PWI to be sure every thing will run properly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2010
    the only way you're going to be 100% sure they are the latest is by building them yourself, but as far as drivers go Linux is generally more flexable with drivers than windows is. ALSA should have you covered.
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I looked up ALSA and that would cover audio bot what about networking and video drivers or did I miss something in their website.

also about building them yourself. Do you mean downloading the source and using a C++ compiler or something.

Sry new to Linux
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DemonDeer - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Sry? Ok U downloaded OpenSuse..... Well ur choice but I myself prefer Ubuntu. Well sry I fear I can`t assist u with Suse.
  • Dextar - Dreamweaver
    Dextar - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    question about drivers.

I plan to instal linux as a second OS. I downloaded openSUSE 11.2 the other day (if that was a bad idea please someone recommend a different one but say some good thing on the internet about it) anyway I went to the intel website to find my drivers for chipset, wireless, etc. and it said that mostly these drivers come with a linux package. How can I be sure I have proper and updated drivers before I install PWI to be sure every thing will run properly.

Like others, I use Ubuntu too, but driver installation is the same in nearly all Linux distros: basically, and unless you've got exotic stuff, you don't have to go chasing drivers on manufacturers site, the distro takes care of that for you. Be sure to have the distro updates enabled (again, that should be done automatically at install time) so that if there are driver updates you'll be asked if you want to download and install them.

Dex
  • DemonDeer - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Well thx Dex. Good 2 know.

BTW, I bought a new video card and on the first Ubuntu Boot I just saw only Matris Style. Everthing green and only much text....

After 4th boot it worked xD
  • JaxM - Lost City
    JaxM - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    This is very good info and I'm greatly appreciative that this thread is here. I finally got PWI to work but one big problem is that when I log in I don't see any buildings, trees, and only some users show up. I see all the NPCs but everything else is basically invisible. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 I just installed it last week I think. I have sound and I can walk around fairly easy (though it's still pretty sluggish) but it's just everything else is invisible like I said :P What should I do?
    It's just a game :P
  • graywolf126
    graywolf126 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Just wanted to say PWI is running perfect for me in Ubuntu 10.4. I installed the game on a XP box I have and let it patch then copied the game directory over to my Home folder in Ubuntu. Followed the directions at the beginning of this post and am playing the game at high settings with not the slightest error.

My system is an Asus G60VX 64 bit running Ubuntu 10.4 LTS 64 bit. I dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu on this machine and couldn't play PWI in Windows 7 because the launcher would always freeze my entire PC to where I had to power cycle. So I said what the heck I'll try it in Linux, and what do ya know. It works great. b:victory

Graywolf
  • Dextar - Dreamweaver
    Dextar - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    This is very good info and I'm greatly appreciative that this thread is here. I finally got PWI to work but one big problem is that when I log in I don't see any buildings, trees, and only some users show up. I see all the NPCs but everything else is basically invisible. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 I just installed it last week I think. I have sound and I can walk around fairly easy (though it's still pretty sluggish) but it's just everything else is invisible like I said :P What should I do?

Unfortunately I have exactly the same problem: let me guess, do you have an ATI video card? The game is nearly unplayable because the proprietary ATI drivers have messed up things in Ubuntu 10.04, while they worked perfectly in the previous version (9.10). See the WineHQ page for more information (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9923).

I'm seriously considering going back to 9.10 ...
  • Amplius - Lost City
    Amplius - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    When pwi has installed in Wine and the launcher pops up.
    Do I have to update manually or automatically?

God bless you all