Change the rules for INI edits

Options

Comments

• Vixter - Harshlands
    Vixter - Harshlands Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i say yes, but for limited features. such as hair (including facial hairs if needed), eyes (new earthguard eyes are beautiful), and colors of skin, hair, eyes, etc.

i think its a little overboard with changing characters to be stick people. although im ok with super fat characters, at least they would be easier to see in TW XD and hey, we got fat people in real life so why discriminate?! xD

although, i did really like that green frog looking dude a few pages back xD its funny to see those types of characters every now and then.

only thing is, if PWI allowed these changes to INI files with restrictions, people might think its ok to even change the body/face shapes extremely. but of course, it can be enforced not to/reported if seen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vixter (101 Heavy Veno) ~ TT farmer
    Peachie (102 Mystic) ~ Main character
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i say yes, but for limited features. such as hair (including facial hairs if needed), eyes (new earthguard eyes are beautiful), and colors of skin, hair, eyes, etc.

i think its a little overboard with changing characters to be stick people. although im ok with super fat characters, at least they would be easier to see in TW XD and hey, we got fat people in real life so why discriminate?! xD

although, i did really like that green frog looking dude a few pages back xD its funny to see those types of characters every now and then.

only thing is, if PWI allowed these changes to INI files with restrictions, people might think its ok to even change the body/face shapes extremely. but of course, it can be enforced not to/reported if seen.

Fully agreed on what you said, especially the fist part. But again, if devs did some work to put older classes' skins up to date (thing I expected by the way), people would be very happy.

Yup, Pre-TB classes = Tons of changes, novelties that exist in TB and EG;
    TB classes = At least eye-changing, maybe more customization options;
    EG = More custo options.

And yes, without proper, strict boundaries, it will end in mayhem.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

I fail to see why any extreme body edits (that aren't abusable) are an issue.
    Live and let live I say.

Those kind of chars bring a smile to my face. The idea of disallowing them because some people think they are an eyesore reminds me of how Homeowners Association in my city outskirts got in trouble because they tried to fine a woman for putting up a big fence because it went against HOA's noble policy of making sure everything looks the damn same.

the poor old woman was just trying to protect her dog because coyotes are a huge problem there, and her dog had already been attacked before, and the current fences were way too low to deter coyotes.

Skewed priorities I say.
  • Galeheart - Heavens Tear
    Galeheart - Heavens Tear Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Is it wrong of me that I want to see These running around?

LOL It's Olcadan. But to the point, If everyone mutually agrees, we, the people who throw tens of thousands of dollars into this game as a whole, should have some right as to decide when a rule is invalid. Editing files is illegal because of illegal hacking programs, malicious software, exploits etc. Editing texture files however is not the original reason, rules are made for specific reasons, not mindless "We make this rule because what we say goes."

I fully understand that Game-Masters are really only here to enforce rules and help the helpless/provide for a better gaming experience, and that going out of these bounds could cost you your job. However, no market, no person gets anywhere by not taking chances.

Case in point: Police Officers, they don't ALWAYS give you a ticket when you break the law, for minor offenses you can get away with a warning, or even just outright no action taken. Why? because it makes them look better and less "Mechanic" to their society.

Enforcers are not there to get you in trouble, but to aid to you and everyone around yourself. And to the obvious point, we all know that this game is now based on profit margins, it's a fact, and frankly no one cares but the people who complain, Having a staff that can manage themselves and help to further provide a better gaming experience can only attract other player bases, not to mention PWE's already extensive (compared to others) character creator is a BIG reason many people would see attraction towards this game. Allowing for more functionality can only line your pockets with more gold.

I'm all for minor character edits, slightly bigger proportions, and a Barb with beautiful long flowing hair. My two and a half cents, hope it's read.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • master99neunzig
    master99neunzig Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think PW Genesis International is not good because, when reached lvl 30 is not automatic for whites alone ... should better all the time nick lvl 30 white automatic all to be able to PK and the war outside the safe zone, I think it will be very exciting once as in other International PW ... please GM, Thanks
  • Doqui - Raging Tide
    Doqui - Raging Tide Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think PW Genesis International is not good because, when reached lvl 30 is not automatic for whites alone ... should better all the time nick lvl 30 white automatic all to be able to PK and the war outside the safe zone, I think it will be very exciting once as in other International PW ... please GM, Thanks

herp derp? b:scorn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*Lollipop Chainsaw Addict sinds 05-2012*
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Darling just wants bigger ****... ears on her veno. For shame, I like your... ears as is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    this thread got bumped
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

go on a PvE server...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
    edited April 2011
    Options

Um...Wrong thread? Herp derp, indeed.

Anyway, back on topic....
    (*bump*)
  • Ao - Raging Tide
    Ao - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I voted yes, but still I'm sure 95% of the people will take advantage and won't do "minor" changes, but will create freakish characters instead... PW-CN looks like a circus because there is not even one normal character there, imagine a squad with 5 freaks... lol

Hairstyles and EG eyeballs on the other hand don't do any harm, on the Raging Tide server you can hardly see people who haven't edited their .ini files. But still... I could change some fancy crossover hairstyle just for the looks of it, but it makes me shiver to think that 99% will look like these here: http://w2i.178.com/s/dm.html b:laughb:laugh

Maybe the devs wanted every race to be unique in some way, so they imposed some restrictions. Other than that I don't see why a cleric can't have a TB hairstyle. =x
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I like some of those barb edits lol

and the thing is some of those characters look like other anime/videogame characters. I'm tempted to do one on a BM (I can't play BMs, just don't like them) and try to imitate another character, just to prove a point.
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Yanami - Heavens Tear
    Yanami - Heavens Tear Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I voted yes. Hairs should be able to be used in all races. I was going through and looking through the female Earthguard hairs and noticed that the one with the pig poofy ponytail has a seashell on it - something that looks like should belong to the Tideborns. ;\ So no use saying that hairs should only be race-specific because they're unique to their races.

And the eyes, they should definitely be updated to let all class/races use it. It helps the older races keep up graphic-wise with the new ones just a little bit and not let them seem so left behind/neglected. The EG God's Eye though...should definitely be left to be race-specific because that's what makes them so unique.

I fully support the editing of .ini files to let players use other races hair and eye textures. I also even support editing of body size...but to a limit. ;\ Big **** or itty bitty stick figure players or fat barbs can get old rather quickly and not so amusing/funny anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    No. The game engine is far too vulnerable to actually allow people to edit files. It will never happen here.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    one of the edits thta were done makes a barb not look so um.. blocky. I have a feeling PWC has improved the characters, but we won't see that for a while.
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Oh god those barbs were hilarious.

@ Micheal:

Thats the first valid sounding argument I've heard against this effort
    Care to elaborate?
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    @_blood_rain - Sanctuary:
    90% of the game's mechanics are client-side, all those PCK files? they hold almost EVERYTHING in the game. The servers are only relays. it's a lousy way of coding an MMO like this. look at for instance "guild wars" the thing is 1 dat file and an an exe (and the apropriate inis for settings savings) it's impossible to mod because the client is the relay, the server holds a majority of the actual data.

(disconnect your internet and run around on the map, just no mobs, otherwise it works just fine. fighting and genies are serverside though, as well as the animation switches)
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    No. The game engine is far too vulnerable to actually allow people to edit files. It will never happen here.

This.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well they have this allowed in like all other versions. I wonder what makes this any different?
    edited April 2011
    Options
    is....is that bannable? o.o
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well the color values are two's complement RGB values shown in decimal <_<

The best way to convert is to take a hex triplet web color like #FF0000 for red and search google for

0xFF0000 - 0xFFFFFF in decimal

This tells you the decimal version of that color.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Judo_ - Sanctuary
    Judo_ - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Apparently it's bannable from reading past threads though I've seen tons and tons of female chars using the EG eyes...

...but I personally don't care what people do with their characters, it's their personal creativity and creativity shouldn't be bound by rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Larkray - Dreamweaver
    Larkray - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Well the color values are two's complement RGB values shown in decimal <_<

The best way to convert is to take a hex triplet web color like #FF0000 for red and search google for

0xFF0000 - 0xFFFFFF in decimal

This tells you the decimal version of that color.

:o thank you for that ast that'll help me in my nooby moments changing my faction's site color themes b:surrender
    There's more to making a judging than everything being in black and white. The decision making process is a puddle of grays.
    True friends aren't those who would bail you out of jail, they're the one sitting with you in the cell saying, "Well that was fun!"
    Proud Level 101 Heavy/Arcane Tanking Fox Venomancer of DW~

Family is the people you're with, not the roof over your head. Ty Kindrid for helping me see that again.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Bump for being able to make a real demon archer :O

red skin and all
    edited April 2011
    Options
    xD wow you are one persistent person.
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    xD wow you are one persistent person.

Lack of persistence is virtually the same as giving up, at least as far as this issue goes.
  • Asthariel - Dreamweaver
    Asthariel - Dreamweaver Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Lack of persistence is virtually the same as giving up, at least as far as this issue goes.

+1 to this.
This discussion has been closed.