Change the rules for INI edits

Comments

• _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    If you want to edit the .ini files, just do it.

Everyone should know by now that the GM's don't give a ****

Well obviously they give some **** if people are still getting banned over this.
    But maybe you do have a point.

Maybe if all of us did what we wanted it would be much harder for them to pretend they evenly enforce this rule.
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Bumping this until PWI gets with the program and changes the rule.
  • Asthariel - Dreamweaver
    Asthariel - Dreamweaver Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    We won't give up !
    We need a serious answer from a GM who read all the topic. Not something like "eh, it's always been like this, so...". Mmos are supposed to constantly change and evolve. If China allowed it, it clearly means it's not harmful to the servers or something. And we don't ask to just allow files edit in a dumb way, we only ask a little exception in the file edit rule for minor customization edits, such as hair, colors and eyes.
    I think none of us wanna see freaks though. So, you can totally put some restrictions in this rule. Like you did for multi client (multi client ok, but more than 2 clients per person not ok). Here, you would allow reasonable edits, but not exagerated ones.

Or else, just add more colors, hairstyles and upgrade the eye texture for other classes than EG. Those ones have realistic and shiny eyes while old classes have dull and empty eyes.
  • RouxLouka - Dreamweaver
    RouxLouka - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    There are too many servers and not enough GMs. You can't expect them to check every single player if they're abusing really skinny or fat edits. It's easier for GMs to ban editing altogether and let the players be paranoid over it.

You have to remember that PWE isn't the parent company. Even if they made billions, most of it goes back to China, and just the minimum could be given to the people that work in our region. So it's not like they can just hire more GMs just because.
    /quit.

</3 All packs/Awful community.
    edited April 2011
    There are too many servers and not enough GMs. You can't expect them to check every single player if they're abusing really skinny or fat edits. It's easier for GMs to ban editing altogether and let the players be paranoid over it.

You have to remember that PWE isn't the parent company. Even if they made billions, most of it goes back to China, and just the minimum could be given to the people that work in our region. So it's not like they can just hire more GMs just because.

This argument would be valid if certain players hadn't tested the GM response to reporting character edits.
    If you read the first page you can see an example where someone reported someone else repeatedly to no response from the GMs at all.

And if you had been paying attention through out the course of this whole thread, you'd have heard about GMs using "advanced" modifications themselves.

Also, if you ask me, I'd think it would be much easier to only enforce a small amount of modifications that are abusable, rather than treat them all as an offense. Imagine how much LESS reports they'd have to handle if things were based on that rule. This leads me to further believe that the current rule is arbitrary, lazily created, and discriminately enforced.

The driving forces behind this effort are

1. We want to harmlessly customize out characters and feel that it is unfair that we would get banned for something that is absolutely harmless with no real basis to be against the rules(it is even legal in other versions including the chinese one)

2. There is NO WAY that the GMs are even making an honest effort to justly enforce this arbitrary rule, and if they did, there goes a huge chunk of their playerbase. It's so mindless to have things continue like this.
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    This argument would be valid if certain players hadn't tested the GM response to reporting character edits.
    If you read the first page you can see an example where someone reported someone else repeatedly to no response from the GMs at all.

And if you had been paying attention through out the course of this whole thread, you'd have heard about GMs using "advanced" modifications themselves.

Also, if you ask me, I'd think it would be much easier to only enforce a small amount of modifications that are abusable, rather than treat them all as an offense. Imagine how much LESS reports they'd have to handle if things were based on that rule. This leads me to further believe that the current rule is arbitrary, lazily created, and discriminately enforced.

The driving forces behind this effort are

1. We want to harmlessly customize out characters and feel that it is unfair that we would get banned for something that is absolutely harmless with no real basis to be against the rules(it is even legal in other versions including the chinese one)

2. There is NO WAY that the GMs are even making an honest effort to justly enforce this arbitrary rule, and if they did, there goes a huge chunk of their playerbase. It's so mindless to have things continue like this.

QFT, as many times as it takes.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    In sum, the playerbase would like GMs to contact devs for making further changes in the right direction, as in adding more options or updating on customization.

I cannot condone full .ini editing per say, because there can be complete abuse (some would have fun creating abominations and go against the original spirit, be it the PWI lore or well, something that remains remotely human...
    A third eye on a barb? A thin wire as a character? Quite the look for a savior... Even the Wraith would be scared to death in turn. I am not into generic faces... But freaks of nature turn me off, if you see what I mean).

That said, I once again agree that the older races are somehow forsaken and that even some changes in looks could not only spark interest in veterans and newbies alike, but could also be profitable for PWE (makeover scrolls, anyone?).
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Cell - Raging Tide
    Cell - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    In sum, the playerbase would like GMs to contact devs for making further changes in the right direction, as in adding more options or updating on customization.

I cannot condone full .ini editing per say, because there can be complete abuse (some would have fun creating abominations and go against the original spirit, be it the PWI lore or well, something that remains remotely human...
    A third eye on a barb? A thin wire as a character? Quite the look for a savior... Even the Wraith would be scared to death in turn. I am not into generic faces... But freaks of nature turn me off, if you see what I mean).

That said, I once again agree that the older races are somehow forsaken and that even some changes in looks could not only spark interest in veterans and newbies alike, but could also be profitable for PWE (makeover scrolls, anyone?).

EXACTLY the reason why there should be parameters to follow for the exceptions.

This type of arguement is clearly flawed because there are imposed boundaries to EVERYTHING. No holds barred fighting matches 99.9% of the time prohibit the usage of guns or cars to gun/run down someone's opponent.

You can play this game without editing the .ini's yet use some 3rd party program to ruin the servers from the inside-out. That's what I call COMPLETE abuse of the game and the servers and the rules in general. Illegal in every standard of MMOs.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    EXACTLY the reason why there should be parameters to follow for the exceptions.

This type of arguement is clearly flawed because there are imposed boundaries to EVERYTHING. No holds barred fighting matches 99.9% of the time prohibit the usage of guns or cars to gun/run down someone's opponent.

You can play this game without editing the .ini's yet use some 3rd party program to ruin the servers from the inside-out. That's what I call COMPLETE abuse of the game and the servers and the rules in general. Illegal in every standard of MMOs.

Wait... I don't exactly see what you mean there. Are you agreeing with me or criticizing my point? In either way, I'd be happy to discuss more on the topic with you.
    From what I see, I guess you'd like the higher ones to have a bit of control above players' actions, so it does not end in complete mayhem. Did I get your post right?

(Oh, by the way, in my own post above, when I say that I am scared by freaks of nature, I do mean creations via customization in PWI, .ini abuse or not. I would never utter that kind of thing when referring to people in RL. I strive to not end judgemental and of course, who would ever want to suffer for a thing they did not do? No one)
  • Cell - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Wait... I don't exactly see what you mean there. Are you agreeing with me or criticizing my point? In either way, I'd be happy to discuss more on the topic with you.
    From what I see, I guess you'd like the higher ones to have a bit of control above players' actions, so it does not end in complete mayhem. Did I get your post right?

(Oh, by the way, in my own post above, when I say that I am scared by freaks of nature, I do mean creations via customization in PWI, .ini abuse or not. I would never utter that kind of thing when referring to people in RL. I strive to not end judgemental and of course, who would ever want to suffer for a thing they did not do? No one)

LOL, nooooooooo. You got it ALL wrong. I was complimenting/criticizing your quote.

I was just saying that people can and will abuse any system in all sorts of ways, even in non-illegal yet clearly wrong ways.

Like some people abuse in-game free enterprise captalism and mooch/swindle lesser informed would-be merchant players and make a huge profit off their winkable ignorance.

Example: some newbie wants to sell Warsoul belt 7+ and has no clue what price is, asks for a price and gets flooded with pms with erroneous prices far below the actual average price, and then sells it to the highest bidder for 5mill and soon after is pm'd the correct price of well over 85+mill but is 10 seconds to late.

That was just an example, mind you. But similar things happen almost everyday in PWI and SHOULD be illegal yet people do it and meaning to cause harm(became illegal and preventable in *********, dare I say that name).

Compare that to players who are backed up agaisnt the wall and are growing tired of their character's dull, uninteresting looks and are fiercely envious of the new Earthguard/Tideborn's hair and eyes and desperately wants their looks for themselves yet can't stand the E.guard's classes or don't want to re-roll all over again. Could be preventable if we had advanced makeover scrolls of sorts though.

I know alot of people who re-rolled to E.guard just for the aesthetic difference but are saddend by the lack of cosmetics and would gladly pay well over $5 just to get their hands on a scroll. b:surrender
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    LOL, nooooooooo. You got it ALL wrong. I was complimenting/criticizing your quote.

I was just saying that people can and will abuse any system in all sorts of ways, even in non-illegal yet clearly wrong ways.

Like some people abuse in-game free enterprise captalism and mooch/swindle lesser informed would-be merchant players and make a huge profit off their winkable ignorance.

Example: some newbie wants to sell Warsoul belt 7+ and has no clue what price is, asks for a price and gets flooded with pms with erroneous prices far below the actual average price, and then sells it to the highest bidder for 5mill and soon after is pm'd the correct price of well over 85+mill but is 10 seconds to late.

That was just an example, mind you. But similar things happen almost everyday in PWI and SHOULD be illegal yet people do it and meaning to cause harm(became illegal and preventable in *********, dare I say that name).

Compare that to players who are backed up agaisnt the wall and are growing tired of their character's dull, uninteresting looks and are fiercely envious of the new Earthguard/Tideborn's hair and eyes and desperately wants their looks for themselves yet can't stand the E.guard's classes or don't want to re-roll all over again. Could be preventable if we had advanced makeover scrolls of sorts though.

I know alot of people who re-rolled to E.guard just for the aesthetic difference but are saddend by the lack of cosmetics and would gladly pay well over $5 just to get their hands on a scroll. b:surrender

Oh I see now... In summary, the temptation towards corruption. This makes sense.

Yes, I do feel it's like for everything else. Good-natured ones will seek for innovation and freedom, and tainted ones will wish to mess things up and defy authority.

This is why I am still hesitating when confronted to such a proposal. I will in the end say this:
    I wish that the higher ones would not only make this true, but take control over things while listening to the playerbase (but again, I will hear 'this is what we did since day one, but GMs/devs never listened to us')...

What can I say about that...?
  • Cell - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Oh I see now... In summary, the temptation towards corruption. This makes sense.

Yes, I do feel it's like for everything else. Good-natured ones will seek for innovation and freedom, and tainted ones will wish to mess things up and defy authority.

This is why I am still hesitating when confronted to such a proposal. I will in the end say this:
    I wish that the higher ones would not only make this true, but take control over things while listening to the playerbase (but again, I will hear 'this is what we did since day one, but GMs/devs never listened to us')...

What can I say about that...?

Persistance. Revolt. Rebellion. It's similar to the youth of Egypt, I dare say. b:thanks
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Persistance. Revolt. Rebellion. It's similar to the youth of Egypt, I dare say. b:thanks

Eh... I wonder why you compare such things. If you are indeed referring to the recent events, I don't believe there will be a brutal bloodshed resulting from a revolutionary movement around here... Just some massive QQ and ragequit at worst.

Don't trifle with geopolitics b:laugh
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Eh... I wonder why you compare such things. If you are indeed referring to the recent events, I don't believe there will be a brutal bloodshed resulting from a revolutionary movement around here... Just some massive QQ and ragequit at worst.

Don't trifle with geopolitics b:laugh

Yeah, the devs don't have a massive... Oh wait, the Devs are in a Communist country, China.

QQ
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011

Persistence and the two R's are what it is going to take for the players to be heard, sadly. So bumped again, for the players!
  • Cell - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Persistence and the two R's are what it is going to take for the players to be heard, sadly. So bumped again, for the players!

*B-b-b-b-b-b-BUMP!*
  • Jenovadeath - Lost City
    Jenovadeath - Lost City Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    b:cry would love this if we could first and only thing I would change is the barbs fur color thats it nothing else being a wolf barb I think all barbs should be able to change fur colors were the only class with out some sort of color change for our sking textures.

What about panda barbs what if they wanted to be a grizzly barb or a polar bear barb XD lions need a color change anyways as they always seem to look semi green orange to me and not the goldish brown they should be

wolf barbs could be an array of colors from pure white to pure black at least the other chars get these options of somewhat of a different skin tone to others heck we can't even wear head fash either and any normal fashion like rockstar coat and things get partialy cut off in certain parts like especially around the neck for lots of fash for barbs in general.
  • Cell - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    b:cry would love this if we could first and only thing I would change is the barbs fur color thats it nothing else being a wolf barb I think all barbs should be able to change fur colors were the only class with out some sort of color change for our sking textures.

What about panda barbs what if they wanted to be a grizzly barb or a polar bear barb XD lions need a color change anyways as they always seem to look semi green orange to me and not the goldish brown they should be

wolf barbs could be an array of colors from pure white to pure black at least the other chars get these options of somewhat of a different skin tone to others heck we can't even wear head fash either and any normal fashion like rockstar coat and things get partialy cut off in certain parts like especially around the neck for lots of fash for barbs in general.

Tell me about it... VOTE YES FOR WHITE TIGER BARBS(Not talking about beast transformation)
    edited April 2011
    That is news to me I didn't know someone had come up with a way to change barbs fur color :O
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, the devs don't have a massive... Oh wait, the Devs are in a Communist country, China.

QQ

Why does it have to always end up to stupid, unfounded country stereotypes?
    and FYI, China is now so much open to foreign markets... To the point of being fearsome rivals to the historically best, oldest capitalist countries (namely Japan, the United States, those in the European Union... countries suffering from economical crises and fearing the 'Chinese ogre' -what the heck is that term anyway?- to no end... the most ill-mouthed ones would even say it's an 'invasion' *shrugs*). Trust me, they even develop with the latest advancements and are even looking for ecology-driven technologies to defend their progress. Look at what Beijing, Shanghai, Hong-Kong have become these days.

Trust me, you would not be uttering that if PWE decided to not get implemented in foreign countries (these very forums would not be here anyway). And has it been successful? Trust me, it has, no matter the massive, inherent QQ haunting this place.

Oh and to be a troll... If you QQ that it's Chinese management, why are you still around these parts?
    edited April 2011
    Why does it have to always end up to stupid, unfounded country stereotypes?
    and FYI, China is now so much open to foreign markets... To the point of being fearsome rivals to the historically best, oldest capitalist countries (namely Europe, Japan and the United States, countries suffering from economical crises and fearing the 'Chinese ogre' -what the heck is that term anyway?- to no end... the most ill-mouthed ones would even say it's an 'invasion' *shrugs*). Trust me, they even develop with the latest advancements and are even looking for ecology-driven technologies to defend their progress. Look at what Beijing, Shanghai, Hong-Kong have become these days.

Trust me, you would not be uttering that if PWE decided to not get implemented in foreign countries (these very forums would not be here anyway). And has it been successful? Trust me, it has, no matter the massive, inherent QQ haunting this place.

Oh and to be a troll... If you QQ that it's Chinese management, why are you still around these parts?

yes but they dont have the same international copyright laws and lots of the "Technologies" being produced there are simply bought in another country taken there and reverse engineered with tons of things like cell phones and such stealing intelectual copy rights basically.
    edited April 2011
    What the hell does communism have to do with ini edits.

>.< seriously guys lol
    I come back here and you're talking about communism
    *facepalms*
    edited April 2011
    b:surrender too bored to play the game so trolling around the forumz atm and saw this nonsence so decided to chime in for a secb:chuckle

Back on topic support you'r Individuality and allow barbs to change fur colors or turn it in to a suggestion xD or something I is tired of looking like 33% of all the barbs out there.b:cry
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    yes but they dont have the same international copyright laws and lots of the "Technologies" being produced there are simply bought in another country taken there and reverse engineered with tons of things like cell phones and such stealing intelectual copy rights basically.

That is true for the more underground companies with dubious origins... And this phenomenon exists in all countries. Yes, Asia is known for having such a visible type of corruption.
    But again, Lenovo for example, is a Chinese company with a good reputation.

That said, it is utterly wrong and dangerous to put all in the same bag/generalize... PWE is I believe quite a clean company. Has PWI begun as a cheap-rip off like some low-budget MMOs can be (I do mean cheap copies of famous games you can see in online ads)? I think not.
    Is its success proven and lasted until now? Yes.

Of course people will say that PWI does not benefit from the deal (even if they depend directly on HQ even on the most minor decisions) and that us players are not respected in terms of wishes and protesting. This is why some ill minds without any good argument are reduced to use defamation and other dumb stereotypes to defend their point/plain flamebait, instead of saying that since we are proper consumers, we should earn more consideration (latter point I vehemently agree upon and am ready to defend if needs be. But again, some players act like spoiled children, so sometimes I just back off and watch from a distance).

This is why I am rather annoyed at ones who simplify things and get off-context.
    What the hell does communism have to do with ini edits.

>.< seriously guys lol
    I come back here and you're talking about communism
    *facepalms*

That is why I am much on 'Objection!' mode right now. b:laugh
    edited April 2011
    It really doesn't take paragraphs of argument to debunk a boneheaded statement as made by whoever started this communism issue in this thread.

I would think most of us would take it as a given that said bonehead comment person is trolling, whoever it was. I couldn't be bothered to look b:chuckle

Anyway, I think this is something we can get changed if we show enough support for it

after all it would generate potential for more profitThat was for you, GMs.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    It really doesn't take paragraphs of argument to debunk a boneheaded statement as made by whoever started this communism issue in this thread.

I would think most of us would take it as a given that said bonehead comment person is trolling, whoever it was. I couldn't be bothered to look b:chuckle

Anyway, I think this is something we can get changed if we show enough support for it

after all it would generate potential for more profitThat was for you, GMs.

I don't so much want to seen as a stuck-up dude (wait, I don't mind, in fact). But still, I am eagerly waiting to see if that 'troll' will try to argue back in a mature, professional way, but I doubt it will happen. Victory is only more enjoyable then ('What? I am childish and it's not worth it? Come on...').

At worst, it's something that I wanted to express for a while and I certainly hope for positive changes in PWI for the future.

Thanks for your support, blood_rain!
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Wow... They are quite the mine dodgers.
    edited April 2011
    What do you mean by that? :o

oh...I see what you mean lmao
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Bumping for sexy Earthguard female curly locks for my veno, and macho facial hair for male Tideborn everywhere!
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    What do you mean by that? :o

oh...I see what you mean lmao

I wonder what will happen to them next... Wait, they don't care about it at this point, I suppose. b:surrender
This discussion has been closed.