Graphics Upgrades?

Comments

• Kyna - Lost City
    Kyna - Lost City Posts: 1,597 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    While it would be nice, I'd prefer if the devs spent their time fixing bugs rather than making things prettier.

You stay classy, post #55.

It would be nice if they fixed the glitches, and it would be preferred on my end too actually. But I gave up on that a while ago =_= magic shell STILL glitches after ALL THIS TIME! There are plenty of threads suggesting fixes for those sorts of things, so I didn't feel the need to post again... about the same subject that's been bugging for a year at least. As for my suggestion, it was just a random idea that could make a big difference without changing much of anything... since we all know the devs are too lazy to actually work.

Probably too lazy to even do this simple fix but hey, I can suggest...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the sig :D
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    Fanfiction found on the forums or at rikasstorycorner.deviantart.com
    LOST CITY! -> home to the original badasses of PWI b:cool
    ... and a few losers....
  • meruchee
    meruchee Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Im in love with this thread, Thanks for making it :)

And I totally agree they should add it to the old races.
    and the meditation, but eh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ao - Raging Tide
    Ao - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I think that if PWI needs graphics upgrades it would rather be landscapes, tree textures, etc. and not so much character appearances. Although PWI is ancient it still has one of the best customization options. But when you fly from one region to another, the gap between landscapes and sceneries is much more glaring.

Not sure how to put this, but I have an aesthetic problem with TB and EG races - they all look the same no matter how much you customize them. They are limited, they look like ready-made presets from Jade Dynasty, they are very un-perfect. It wouldn't be exaggerated to say that they look kinda ugly to me... I love the way my psy looks but he still resembles any other psy and sin on the server and I have not yet managed to create a beautiful TB or EG character. Is it just me? b:sad They do have better eyes (somewhat... it seems it depends on the char after all, I tried EG eyes on my veno and she didn't look good at all) and definitely much better hairstyles.

Imagine if by popular demand the devs implement some changes and all races look like TB/EG... For me this would be disastrous. I can never get a female seeker / sin to look like my veno or female cleric because they are not that customizable. The original races are ok to me, even with the boxy hairstyles. TBs are limited but somewhat beautiful, they need to have make-up/lip colour, and EG are the worst. b:sad Which is kind of a paradox, because they have absolutely outdone themselves in terms of sceneries in Genesis areas, but their newest race is the most limited so far. Instead of making a progress and adding more and more options to customize chars, they are limiting cuztomization, like counter-evolution. This has been bothering me ever since TB came out. >___>

And Kyna, I think your oldest char looks much much better! b:victory
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited April 2011
    I think that if PWI needs graphics upgrades it would rather be landscapes, tree textures, etc. and not so much character appearances. Although PWI is ancient it still has one of the best customization options. But when you fly from one region to another, the gap between landscapes and sceneries is much more glaring.

Not sure how to put this, but I have an aesthetic problem with TB and EG races - they all look the same no matter how much you customize them. They are limited, they look like ready-made presets from Jade Dynasty, they are very un-perfect. It wouldn't be exaggerated to say that they look kinda ugly to me... I love the way my psy looks but he still resembles any other psy and sin on the server and I have not yet managed to create a beautiful TB or EG character. Is it just me? b:sad They do have better eyes (somewhat... it seems it depends on the char after all, I tried EG eyes on my veno and she didn't look good at all) and definitely much better hairstyles.

Imagine if by popular demand the devs implement some changes and all races look like TB/EG... For me this would be disastrous. I can never get a female seeker / sin to look like my veno or female cleric because they are not that customizable. The original races are ok to me, even with the boxy hairstyles. TBs are limited but somewhat beautiful, they need to have make-up/lip colour, and EG are the worst. b:sad Which is kind of a paradox, because they have absolutely outdone themselves in terms of sceneries in Genesis areas, but their newest race is the most limited so far. Instead of making a progress and adding more and more options to customize chars, they are limiting cuztomization, like counter-evolution. This has been bothering me ever since TB came out. >___>

And Kyna, I think your oldest char looks much much better! b:victory

I do like my oldest character, but I kinda wish her eyes weren't so dull and her hair wasn't quite so flat. xD The limitations on the new characters have to do a lot with the skin textures, while the skin texture looks prettier it isn't as customizable and that's a bit of a let down, which is why I never suggested replacing the skin texture only making eyes and nicer hair an option for those that would enjoy it so ini editing bans would go down. All of the old eyes would still be there if they followed my suggestion exactly.

And as we all know, PWE has got to be one of the LAZIEST gaming companies. And the most deaf. I was shooting for a change that would take the least amount of work lol. I get what you're saying about areas... although Sanctuary is still very pretty to me. In the end they would never take the time to make the entire map look more awesome... they probably won't even go for my simple suggestion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    just a bump
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    bump again because this deserves more attention than that ini editing rule change thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    bumped again. It's still a better idea with clear cut rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    b:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    why are you trying to turn this into a competition

e.e
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    You mean you don't want a pretty blue first place ribbon?
    edited May 2011
    truekossy wrote: »
    You mean you don't want a pretty blue first place ribbon?

I feel allowing INI edits and updating graphics are on separate pages. If graphics updated but INI edits weren't allowed, people wouldn't be able to give themselves hair they like from other races or their preferred custom skin colors. I'm for INI edits, AND updated graphics would be nice too, but just so happens that INI edit rule changing is more likely to happen than the Dev's doing something like this for us.

They are separate issues that all happen to do with customization, and turning them into a battle of popularity( "Mine is better than theirs") is futile and unnecessary.

I also feel the "my idea is better" attitude is very unhelpful, as this suggestion of updating graphics does nothing to solve the problems we are trying to do away with in our attempt to get the rules changed, which would be: the unfair and inconsistent way these rules are enforced and their senseless nature in general.
  • truekossy
    edited May 2011
    Gotta say, I do agree with that.

All things considered, changing the INI rule is also far more likely and plausible than a graphical revamp. As much as I'd like to see the graphics updated, it's true there are just some hairstyles on the newer classes I'd love to (legally) use on some of my older characters. Plus with how inconsistent they are about bans for it in the first place, it really makes no sense why they don't just change the rules to allow it.
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I'm also NOT suggesting that they make the hair styles from the other races available for the original races.

This is the difference between what I addressed in my thread and your overall suggestion. Why add something new (which is unlikely to happen) when it is what is already there which is what people want?

I don't want an overhaul to the older classes. I want liberty to ini edit with what the Devs have already provided us.
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Okay guys, this is the part that goes flying over your head.

Some hair styles are race specific FOR A REASON. so I feel that sprucing up the old ones to make them look better isn't much of a change, but it would make a difference and if you knew anything about texturing you'd know it would take little to no work to do. As a matter of fact, maybe I'll make my OWN patch for it to show you just how friggin easy it is.

For another thing. Yes I do believe that my suggestion is better... for the reason I stated above, and also because it wouldn't open INI editing to extreme abuse. (big ****, stick figure characters, etc.) My suggestion, if implemented, would lower bans due to ini editing since people would feel less of a need to do so (except for the ones that don't understand reason stated above...) and likewise avoid misunderstandings as to what is allowed.

Does that clear it up for you? Sure it is probably not likely to happen but considering the abuse ini editing would open up just from a slight change in rules, I think that suggestion is just as equally not likely to happen.

I like this better and think that it deserves more support. Sure you'd like to see just ini editing but wouldn't you like to see something better? Push for this instead :P

Besides that, there's no rule against supporting both even if you "THINK" this one would never be implemented. Just sayin. So you guys can stop marking this as a bad idea because you know you want it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
    edited May 2011
    try to understand, make a legitimate effort.

Your suggestion is not interchangeable with ours.

It is like comparing apples to oranges. Your suggestion is ideal, no one(at least not I) said it was a bad idea. But it's is a separate issue from ours. It does not address unfair enforcement and injustice which is one of the main causes of ours.

And the rules I drafted specifically disallow body size edits.

There is no "this instead of that" because these are not different solutions to the same issue, They are different proposals to address DIFFERENT issues. That is something I have tried to explain since you first posted in the INI edits thread.

All I'm saying is, it is useless to try to turn this into a competition. Please read and make a legitimate efffort to comprehend what I am trying to tell you because I have attempted to explain this about 3 or 4 times now.
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    if you don't see how much they are the same I don't know what to tell you.

You want less bans for ini edits right? Because you think that it's not fair some people can break the rules and remain and others can't so you're too afraid to break the rules yourself. (such is life anyway so get used to it.) I have never seen anyone banned for using ini edits to get a color, otherwise everyone with freakishly red hair would be getting the banhammer. It's glaringly obvious but ignored so far as I can see. So it seems minor ones are already allowed anyway.

My suggestion would end up giving people less reason to ini edit (unless of course, they can't come to terms with the fact that EG hair is for EG and TB is for TB and it's that way for a reason. You want all class hair, get a wig.) Therefore, less people would do it, and less people would even need to get banned. You want EG eyes? That was in my suggestion to make it an option for the other classes. Then you don't need an ini edit and that's one of the more common ones I've seen lately.

And you know how many people break rules? Your "rulebook" is just going to end up totally ignored and people will edit their proportions anyway. That's like giving a giggly girly girl a wad of cash to go shopping with and telling her not to spend it all. What do you think she's gonna do?

They are different solutions to the same problem.

The problem: People being banned for ini editing while others fly below the radar.

The solutions: change rules on ini edits, or eliminate the appeal of ini edits.

In the end whether or not it's a competition is up to you, I'm just trying to draw more attention to a good idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
    edited May 2011
    if you don't see how much they are the same I don't know what to tell you.
    They both deal with the subject of character customization, They do not address the same injustices or issues, same general topic, but very different aspects of it.
    You want less bans for ini edits right? Because you think that it's not fair some people can break the rules and remain and others can't so you're too afraid to break the rules yourself. (such is life anyway so get used to it.) I have never seen anyone banned for using ini edits to get a color, otherwise everyone with freakishly red hair would be getting the banhammer. It's glaringly obvious but ignored so far as I can see. So it seems minor ones are already allowed anyway.

Lol. I try to respect rules, am not afraid at all of breaking them however. If you knew me you'd know this. This rule is hard to respect as it is senseless in the first place. That is also a big factor in us trying to change it. It is arbitrary and unenforceable. Rules that have these qualities are best done away with.
    And you know how many people break rules? Your "rulebook" is just going to end up totally ignored and people will edit their proportions anyway. That's like giving a giggly girly girl a wad of cash to go shopping with and telling her not to spend it all. What do you think she's gonna do?

Why would you give a giggly girl a wad of cash specifically to go shopping and tell her how much of it to spend. Bad example, ijs. people already break rules anyway, these would just be a more sensible set of guidelines that people would be able to respect more because they are more fair. If people see a reason to follow a rule, they will generally respect it more. The reason not to allow size edits would be because it is abusable. people can respect that.

And again, my efforts to explain the issue have gone over your head. These are not different solutions to the same problem. One major thing not covered in your suggestion is hair from other races and skin color edits. These are harmless things people desire and that aren't currently allowed. Your suggestion, if implemented would not cover that issue at all. Therefore, Your suggestion would not eliminate the appeal of INI edits.

And wether its a competition or not was all my best guess based on your words "this deserves more attention then that INI edit thing" and "support this instead of that".

Anyway. I simply tried to explain that these issues are separate, but I have said all there was possible to say in order to attempt to explain this.
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    They both deal with the subject of character customization, They do not address the same injustices or issues, same general topic, but very different aspects of it.

.... okay so I don't qq about people not getting banned... But I did come up with this suggestion after seeing so many people using the EG eyes and thinking, "Hey, they could get banned for that simple edit but that character really looks nice with more lively eyes." You totally ignored my point in the first place and I made it as clear as day. I really don't understand how you find it so hard to understand but I'm not going to break down my reasoning for things again after this. It's like trying to explain something to a brick wall, such a waste of time and energy if you don't understand after this. I'm beginning to wonder exactly what it is you have in that space between your ears. Cobwebs maybe?
    Lol. I try to respect rules, am not afraid at all of breaking them however. If you knew me you'd know this. This rule is hard to respect as it is senseless in the first place. That is also a big factor in us trying to change it. It is arbitrary and unenforceable. Rules that have these qualities are best done away with.

Oh boo hoo. The creators put that rule into place for dozens of reasons I'm sure, and people going in and changing things, (anything past a minor color edit) is like you defacing their creation. Sure, it's your character but if something wasn't allowed there's probably a reason. Putting things on your character that belongs to another race is just kinda... blah. Really? So a cleric with seashells on her head? That makes a LOT of sense! Maybe she nosedived in TB territory huh? Give me a break. Each class so far has features (or a lack of features like humans.) to distinguish them from other races. That detail they even put into the hair for the newer races, so with that being said, sprucing up the old ones would do more of a justice and you might not even want to ini edit for hair after that because the old ones would finally be good enough.

And think of this from their point of view. If you worked pretty hard (I only say pretty hard because they are still lazy) to create something and someone else skewed it all out of whack, how would you like it? Like say you made your own race. This race is supposed to be dark skinned with light hair, that's just how they are and you are proud of this race you created. The hair styles you have for them reflect their culture as you had written it. But for someone else, they don't like it, so instead of just being understanding and picking something else, they **** the codes to make it look less unique and undo all of the thought you put into that race. Seriously, you don't see people on (game that can't be mentioned) complaining that their undead warrior looks undead.

So in the end the rules aren't senseless, maybe you are?

Why would you give a giggly girl a wad of cash specifically to go shopping and tell her how much of it to spend. Bad example, ijs. people already break rules anyway, these would just be a more sensible set of guidelines that people would be able to respect more because they are more fair. If people see a reason to follow a rule, they will generally respect it more. The reason not to allow size edits would be because it is abusable. people can respect that.

So allow you guys to **** apart some of the differences they've created to make the races a bit more distinguishable and different. Right, your rules would have accomplished soooo much to make the races all look alike! And you are truly daft if you failed to get my analogy I'm not even going to attempt to explain it, that would go flying 20 miles over your head as well and it's not worth the time and effort. Allowing ini edits would just open for more widespread abuse of the system since I'm sure you'd post a guide for people that aren't sure how to right? You give people and inch, they walk all over you (hence the analogy that you couldn't comprehend.) Which brings up yet another point. Some people really aren't sure how to ini edit. Yes it is simple but why not just do something less complicated and add the options?
    And again, my efforts to explain the issue have gone over your head. These are not different solutions to the same problem. One major thing not covered in your suggestion is hair from other races and skin color edits. These are harmless things people desire and that aren't currently allowed. Your suggestion, if implemented would not cover that issue at all. Therefore, Your suggestion would not eliminate the appeal of INI edits.

I'm beginning to think that you didn't actually read my suggestion. I made a Q & A just for people like you as well as highlighted things that people would see as an issue that needed explained. You already know why I didn't suggest making that hair available for all races and I'm not moving from that reasoning. If you're not bright enough to get it, it's okay, this is the last time I'll explain it to you. And here it is from my original post. Which I'm REALLY sure you didn't read now.

I'm also NOT suggesting that they make the hair styles from the other races available for the original races. Some hair styles are race specific for a reason, and get that. I think though, that with less flat looking hair styles on the older races, there would be less reason for people to **** the files.

There are reasons they don't allow that sort of thing, get over it. You can push for skin color edits but something like that most people don't give a flying flip about. I mean really. But that's your prerogative.
    No my suggestion wouldn't totally eliminate the appeal of ini editing because there will always be people like you that want their way with everything. But for the normal people that are fine with not taking their undead warrior and making them look healthy and alive, this would be a more suitable fix.

QQ all you want to, but this IS a different solution to the same problem. If one were to pass the other would be obsolete. Especially since PWI would never do both if they would even want one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
    edited May 2011
    Lol

I just came back to laugh at your reply.
    And i did, so b:bye
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    Lol

I just came back to laugh at your reply.
    And i did, so b:bye

lol I wasn't done with my reply :/ hitting the preview button posted it. Now it's up so laugh your *** off and further demonstrate your poor reading comprehension. The more you post the more my thread stays on the first page.

:D knock yourself out.

(no, seriously)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • truekossy
    edited May 2011
    I'm going to point out one thing as an example of the difference here.

This wouldn't be available or allowed with a graphics upgrade.

By allowing INI files to be edited, however, it would be.

*shrugs and walks off*
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    I'm going to point out one thing as an example of the difference here.

This wouldn't be available or allowed with a graphics upgrade.

By allowing INI files to be edited, however, it would be.

*shrugs and walks off*

Is this person banned for having freakishly red hair? Probably not. Part of my point is that MINOR color edits don't seem to be punished. Even if they have EG eyes, that would be in my upgrade idea. Which you'd know if you read my first post.

So congrats, your proof is denied.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • lizrau
    lizrau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    This is still on the first page??? OOOH YOU GO GURRRRL!!!!! Even though I doubt it'll happen, but I still hope they can make this SMALL freaking change ;3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig credits to Myra :D
  • truekossy
    edited May 2011

Is this person banned for having freakishly red hair? Probably not. Part of my point is that MINOR color edits don't seem to be punished. Even if they have EG eyes, that would be in my upgrade idea. Which you'd know if you read my first post.

So congrats, your proof is denied.

P-server, so they can't be banned here because of it. And I've seen several people with "minor color edits" punished for it. I've also seen several others where it was ignored. Do note that I have read your first post and am one of the people who has mentioned my support for this, just saying.

So, congrats, your rebuttal is denied.
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Oke, I support both ideas, either one implemented would be fine with me.
    But do you seriously have to fight over who's idea is better

It's a shame this topic seems to become a fight over that... b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited May 2011
    P-server, so they can't be banned here because of it. And I've seen several people with "minor color edits" punished for it. I've also seen several others where it was ignored. Do note that I have read your first post and am one of the people who has mentioned my support for this, just saying.

So, congrats, your rebuttal is denied.

I've never seen anyone banned for a minor color edit. Like I said. Show me an instance where someone has and I'll believe you.

and if this is such a big deal why don't people just stay on private servers =_=;;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • lizrau
    lizrau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    In all honesty, does that dark dark red hair really affect anyone... .__.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig credits to Myra :D
  • hydrolace
    hydrolace Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Both suggestion threads are good. Petty fighting should cease.
  • Waterfal - Sanctuary
    Waterfal - Sanctuary Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    *bump*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the awesome sig :3

Characters:
    waterfal - lvl 90 demon ferrari veno
    Hazumi_chan - lvl 9x sage seeker