Change the rules for INI edits

Comments

• Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Which sucks, because if they don't, then what's stopping the rest of us from doing it?

I agree, either enforce the rule on everyone or no one.
    as people have said PWI is a business, think what happens to zen sales if 40% of ANY server gets banned
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    The reasoning behind the multi-client rule change was not "to be more like China", but to account for the fact that modifying game files was no longer necessary to multi-client.
    technally, this isn't true.

Pre-<patch here> you could still multi without editing the files. you just had to bypass the launcher. I had done it only once after hearign about it, just to see if it would, and it did.

post-<patch here> the launcher allows any number of clients to be launched

hex-editing the configs.pck file (looking at the hex, NOT writing it (I coppied and moved that file, just to see. I'm a curious person when things change and we get no info on it) reveals the following: "mul**_c**e*t=1". (the *s are random characters, thus the assumption made on the actual meaning, just to clear that up))
    In other words China made the edits to the files to allow it. They chose to let us do it. Which begs the question. Do THEY allow it as well?

for those wondering why I have a hex editor: I search PSP exploits and have SEVERAL full firmware dumps on my PC that I regularly scan for any sign of a weakness. (it's also for cheating in PSP games :P )
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Maybe we should compile a bunch of screenies of how many people PW would lose if they fully enforced this rule(scratching out all names ofc)

It's just....

thers a point where it becomes ridiculous trying to enforce.
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I fully support this. Although...perhaps if they allowed colors and SLIGHT edits, while still cracking down on those spaghetti thin and enormously fat characters that obviously make interacting with them harder than it should be.

If, perhaps, they allowed the color editing, I could finally make my roommate his Archer from our Private Server. I think he'd flip. <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
    edited April 2011
    I fully support this. Although...perhaps if they allowed colors and SLIGHT edits, while still cracking down on those spaghetti thin and enormously fat characters that obviously make interacting with them harder than it should be.

If, perhaps, they allowed the color editing, I could finally make my roommate his Archer from our Private Server. I think he'd flip. <3

I'm not gonna lie
    She looks like she's advertising a brothel

and I would totally give my barb a mohawk and make my archer red-skinned if i could.
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited April 2011

...Whoa.
    I just flipped.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear
    KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    So PWI took away medals of glory so that we can be more like the chinese version where things are hard to get. They also arbitrarily changed the multiclienting rules virtually overnight.

How about you guys make another rule change that would make the players happy and make this version more like the chinese one? Allow us the liberty and freedom to ini edit our characters.

It harms no one, and it doesn't impact anything in the game in any negative or un-balancing way.

As is, there are hundreds of toons running around ini edited for EG or TB hair or eyes. Some are being banned, while others are not. There was this one guy that i sent multiple tickets about over the course of a year (for him having tideborn hair) and nothing was ever done to him or about it. Yet some people are getting banned now for putting earthguard eyes on their other classes. This is a gross injustice.

So yea, PWI, you have no way of actually fully enforcing this pointless rule, similar to the way you couldnt enforce your multiclienting rule. The multi rule was changed because mechanically the game allowed for multiclienting. The same goes for INI editing. The game mechanically allows for it within margins of what the game can display. It's time to update your rules to conform with reality, as you have already demonstrated you are capable of doing.

ban this person he/she already broken the rules ty.
    edited April 2011

BUt anyway I dont see whats wrong with the archer that would make it bannable is it the hair color?
    Because if it is I doubt anyone cares about that you can go ahead and make it :B
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    If that was not said before, and for once I will use the I-to-you form of speech, which will surely be ignored anyway:

Dear devs... Why don't you give a full facelift to older classes, so character appearance-maniacs (I am one when it comes to initial character creation) can modify their old venoes, blademasters and all? I am sure that if barbs were given more options, people would buy/purchase by DQs tons of makeover scrolls.
    A makeover scroll sale after that? Could work if people don't have DQ points anymore and are tired of buying DQ items to NPC them.

Some tend to use .ini editing to create monstrosities (guh) and others would really want to have new features on outdated models, to the risk of a ban (I am not one of those, yo).

Yes devs, I don't think this is the hardest work you would have to do (please add a rubberbanding fix to that, will you? lol) and it would bring a lot of needed fresh air to this game, even if it's just for the sake of aesthetics. Many would be pleased by it, and with a bit of luck, bring you more coinage.
    And again, banning rules would remain the same.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    BUt anyway I dont see whats wrong with the archer that would make it bannable is it the hair color?
    Because if it is I doubt anyone cares about that you can go ahead and make it :B
    Yeah it's the hair color, which in itself is still bannable. Someone was already posting on the forums for getting banned for color editing earlier this month. That's all that I would really use .ini edits for if they allowed them, was the colors. And hair on barbs. XP Because they just look awesome like that.

I just don't want my roomie to start playing official, all happy with his archer, and then get banhammered before lvl30 because her irish locks are a just little too red.

Back on topic, it's not hard for them to update already made characters by force. They did that when they removed some of the nice all class hair styles during the release of the Tideborn expansion, and hundreds of thousands of people revolted/quit etc. <_< They could just as easily update the texture for the eyes now, seeing as there is a perfectly compatible NEW version already available.

Skin texture/retexturing for the old hair styles would be more difficult and I doubt we'd get those due to the development team failing at working with the old code. But if everyday people that get bored on private servers can retexture the models themselves, why can't the professional dev team?

These changes are really very easy to implement and I'm 100% sure that if they DID allow editing (or updated the color pickers at least >_<) they would get much more business and there would be more unique characters running around instead of the few brave souls willing to break the mold and edit their .inis despite the chance of being banhammered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
    edited April 2011
    Yeah it's the hair color, which in itself is still bannable. Someone was already posting on the forums for getting banned for color editing earlier this month. That's all that I would really use .ini edits for if they allowed them, was the colors. And hair on barbs. XP Because they just look awesome like that.

I just don't want my roomie to start playing official, all happy with his archer, and then get banhammered before lvl30 because her irish locks are a just little too red.

Back on topic, it's not hard for them to update already made characters by force. They did that when they removed some of the nice all class hair styles during the release of the Tideborn expansion, and hundreds of thousands of people revolted/quit etc. <_< They could just as easily update the texture for the eyes now, seeing as there is a perfectly compatible NEW version already available.

Skin texture/retexturing for the old hair styles would be more difficult and I doubt we'd get those due to the development team failing at working with the old code. But if everyday people that get bored on private servers can retexture the models themselves, why can't the professional dev team?

These changes are really very easy to implement and I'm 100% sure that if they DID allow editing (or updated the color pickers at least >_<) they would get much more business and there would be more unique characters running around instead of the few brave souls willing to break the mold and edit their .inis despite the chance of being banhammered.

They would get more business. Makeover scrolls would sell better(although it is arguable that they are throwaways ever since dq rewards) and if they introduced advanced makeover scrolls, more business for them on top of that.
    The main issue I see with this is that I feel the whole "it's against the rules we need to inforce it" is just for show. They can't actually go around and ban everyone who has ini edits because thats quite a big chunk of the player base. So they currently enforce it irregularly banning some, leaving others and it's just a whole nonsensical mess cuz the ini edits for cosmetic reasons are quite harmless anywaY. It's all pretty senseless to me.
    It's unjust the way it is enforced.

PS.b:avoid I know certain archers who run around with that hair color anyway, and havent gotten in trouble
  • Strife_son - Sanctuary
    Strife_son - Sanctuary Posts: 1,217 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Wait... so is it possible to get earthguard detailed eyes on non-earthguards? I want pretty Mako-blue eyes instead of the dull blue I currently have. It would better complete my ensemble ;D
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    technally, this isn't true.

Pre-<patch here> you could still multi without editing the files. you just had to bypass the launcher. I had done it only once after hearign about it, just to see if it would, and it did.

post-<patch here> the launcher allows any number of clients to be launched

But prior to a previous patch, you could not start elementclient.exe if another one was already running. They detected that and explicitly prevented it.

You are totally correct that they changed the launcher after they changed the core game. But...
  • Cell - Raging Tide
    Cell - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I am in absolute support of this function. Change the rules so that minor changes can be made, such as hair, eyes, color and exclude the ridiculous edits such as abnormal body proportions.

I have several friends that have been here for over 2 years with their edited characters and yet nothing has happened to them. They walk proudly throughout the main cities with no problems.

I'v seen DOZENS of end-game, $500+ Cash Shop'd players with red, black, blue skin, even a VERY sexy looking blonde tideborn Sin with a goate.

They are still alive and kicking, still PAYING FOR YOUR SALARY(I'm talking to YOU GMs) and keeping the server up and running. PWE needs them more than they need you.

Ban us, and we leave and play something else while the servers suffer and ultimately dry up.

IJS. b:bye
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    But prior to a previous patch, you could not start elementclient.exe if another one was already running. They detected that and explicitly prevented it.

Yes, but there was a way around that. By killing the process pwprotector.exe using task manager, one could successfully open multiple elementclient.exe's.
    edited April 2011
    Wait... so is it possible to get earthguard detailed eyes on non-earthguards? I want pretty Mako-blue eyes instead of the dull blue I currently have. It would better complete my ensemble ;D

Theres a way to do this yes, and there is also a way to put the barb's bright eye color spectrum(their eyes are as bright as a female char's) onto a male BM.

Also: well said Cell, well said.
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
  • KuiXing - Harshlands
    KuiXing - Harshlands Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Bumpity bump bump b:infuriated I want EG haaaaiiiiirrr lol b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have the best mom ever, she brought me drugs and fruit juice - Reavღ
    Challenge accepted I'm going to go blow up the sun - FanFon
    Those crabs are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going and going... - Wildsblade
  • Strife_son - Sanctuary
    Strife_son - Sanctuary Posts: 1,217 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Theres a way to do this yes, and there is also a way to put the barb's bright eye color spectrum(their eyes are as bright as a female char's) onto a male BM.

Also: well said Cell, well said.

Thank you thank you :3
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    I won't give up, I want my venomancer to have the sexy curly locks that earthguard females can get.
  • Zairi - Dreamweaver
    Zairi - Dreamweaver Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    There are stuffz i totaly want for my veno beeing a customization addict. Like the eyetexture from Earthguard for my Wizzy and my Veno. Some Hairstyles too, mainly for the better texture on it.

Id realy want that too but i dont want to get banned for that. Seeing how that rule is only half enforced is just unfair.
    Some people run arround forever with the .ini edited styles and some just have it 2 days and get banhammered. WTF? -.-

Im not mad about the fact that some people do minor .ini editing to tweak their appearance a little but all that "one gets banned about the other we dont care" realy sucks.

So either say "ya do as you whish" or say "enforce the rule on everyone".

Im not reporting people for those minor editing but it realy gets me mad cos im jealous. I want nice eyes too but i dont want to break any rules.b:sad

And yes, where is that stupid adavanced makeover scroll i wantz one. :(
  • Cell - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Bumpity bump bump b:infuriated I want EG haaaaiiiiirrr lol b:avoid

Already done. ;)

Human woman with Earthguard eyes and hair.(Now, WHY didn't they just put cosmetics on E.guards? Just lazy as hell)

20110422113314.png

20110422113938.png
  • Cell - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Some people run arround forever with the .ini edited styles and some just have it 2 days and get banhammered. WTF? -.-

Are you just making an example or quoting from seen events? I'v YET to hear from anyone in Raging Tide that they were banned from the game by .ini edits. Not once.

Nevertheless, to the very few that did, I haven't heard that it is a permanent ban. Moreso like a 1 day-1 week ban, from what I'v figured.

Since, 1. it's not killing anyone from a minor tweak due to PWE's incompetence to provide us with advanced makeover scrolls, 2. people's general disgust at spending so much money on this game and not being able to make their beloved characters the way THEY want them to be without climbing under a few fences, and 3. it's not a permanent cosmetic change, nothing that a simple makeover scroll, which THEY payed for, one way or the other, can't fix.

Some of my friends have even encountered (a) certain GM(s) before with their "advanced cosmetics" and the GM(s) either didn't care or felt compassion on them that they'd push the limits SO FAR to the point of getting banned for a certain amount of time despite all of the hundreds of dollars-even thousands for some-they've spent in this game.

It's truely martydom on the part of the players who are brave enough to try. Many of succeeded and are truely pleased with the results while few others are less fortunate and banned to make a pathetic "example".

Perfect World Entertainment, Game Masters, and Moderaters, you CAN'T win this battle. For every person that you ban because of this, there will be 2-4 more that will take their place.

I challange you:

Either ban us ALL or ban none of us. Change the rules and allow it within certain parameters or keep the rules and get rid of ALL of us who have ever dared to freely create our dream characters.

China has embraced it. Being the flagship country of Perfect World Co., shouldn't you follow in their examples instead of being obstinate and simple-minded?
  • Zairi - Dreamweaver
    Zairi - Dreamweaver Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Hm if you mean if i can tell from personal experiance: No, since i dont dare to edit .ini files if im not 100% certain i wont loose my characters for that.

Alot claim to be banned for it, here at the forums and some i talked to. Of corse they could have lied.^^;

Just that "blury" state of that rule is annoying. Some statement about what happens to my char if id edit .ini files and get cought would be nice. Then again, the GMs are wonderfull divided rulewise so i cant even rely on a GMs statement on this. Thats mainly why the whole thing annoys me so much. XD
  • VeonitaMysti - Dreamweaver
    VeonitaMysti - Dreamweaver Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Veonita voted "Yes"
    I am:
    VeonitaMage Lvl 001 Mage
    Veonita LvL 23 Seeker
    LadyVeonita Lvl 034 Archer
    $exyAlexis Lvl 090 Cleric
    $exyAIexis Lvl 100 Sin

Im in your Mind and I will never leave~
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Are you just making an example or quoting from seen events? I'v YET to hear from anyone in Raging Tide that they were banned from the game by .ini edits. Not once.

Nevertheless, to the very few that did, I haven't heard that it is a permanent ban. Moreso like a 1 day-1 week ban, from what I'v figured.

Since, 1. it's not killing anyone from a minor tweak due to PWE's incompetence to provide us with advanced makeover scrolls, 2. people's general disgust at spending so much money on this game and not being able to make their beloved characters the way THEY want them to be without climbing under a few fences, and 3. it's not a permanent cosmetic change, nothing that a simple makeover scroll, which THEY payed for, one way or the other, can't fix.

Some of my friends have even encountered (a) certain GM(s) before with their "advanced cosmetics" and the GM(s) either didn't care or felt compassion on them that they'd push the limits SO FAR to the point of getting banned for a certain amount of time despite all of the hundreds of dollars-even thousands for some-they've spent in this game.

It's truely martydom on the part of the players who are brave enough to try. Many of succeeded and are truely pleased with the results while few others are less fortunate and banned to make a pathetic "example".

Perfect World Entertainment, Game Masters, and Moderaters, you CAN'T win this battle. For every person that you ban because of this, there will be 2-4 more that will take their place.

I challange you:

Either ban us ALL or ban none of us. Change the rules and allow it within certain parameters or keep the rules and get rid of ALL of us who have ever dared to freely create our dream characters.

China has embraced it. Being the flagship country of Perfect World Co., shouldn't you follow in their examples instead of being obstinate and simple-minded?

QFT Benutches
    edited April 2011
    *bumps and runs away*
  • Zenorx - Harshlands
    Zenorx - Harshlands Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    If you want to edit the .ini files, just do it.

Everyone should know by now that the GM's don't give a ****
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Oh well, for once it's a change people would pay for it would be implemented...
    If I may say, 'by popular demand'.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
This discussion has been closed.